PDA

View Full Version : whats the deal with wharton these past 2 years

wharton45
10-19-2010, 03:08 AM
It seems like Wharton has really fallin off in size and in heart. I go to the games and i just do not see the size wharton once had. do these coaches not have the hit the weight room? Also these players lack heart. It seems that they give up so easily after the other team scored a Touchdown. The size factor is also a big issue. I can remember a few years ago Wharton had the size to do it all and strength as well. Thomas Garcia, Joel Ansley, and I remember Cameron Greene. These fellows were really great in heart and never let down

sinton66
10-19-2010, 06:57 AM
It's simply the fortunes of Highschool football. Every team goes through their down years. Sooner or later the cycle completes and they manage to turn it around. Some take longer than others, but if you manage to hang around long enough, it'll happen.

FbCoachB40
10-19-2010, 07:02 AM
If you look just south of Wharton. You will find 3 great athletes that could just as easily been in Wharton rather than Boling (Hungerford kids). It has been down for 3 years now in Wharton.

maestro
10-19-2010, 07:04 AM
wharton is going through a cycle that most small towns go through. Instead of putting 11 solid players on the field, you may only have 4-5 guys that really can be called good high school football players.
it happens.
i'm sure that all high school kids hit the weightroom . but being IN the weightroom and WORKING OUT are two different things.
I noticed that wharton is now also only the 4th in enrollment in their district. the years you are recalling, wharton was a large 3a school. or at least one of the largest in their district. as far as the comments on lack of heart and desire, ????? kids that do not want to play should not play. coaches should not have to give the lou holtz speeches everyday.

having rambled on enough, wharton /needville game this week is third place game.

maestro
10-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
If you look just south of Wharton. You will find 3 great athletes that could just as easily been in Wharton rather than Boling (Hungerford kids). It has been down for 3 years now in Wharton.

ever since B40 left the pressbox, it has been bleak....B40 is an offensive " mad scientist".

baseballcoach13
10-19-2010, 09:07 AM
I heard they are on a decline bcuz they lost the only good coach to a 5A school...

baseballcoach13
10-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah, you're right. I had a brain fart.

FbCoachB40
10-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by baseballcoach13
I heard they are on a decline bcuz they lost the only good coach to a 5A school...

They lost a Head FB & Head BsB to 5A that really hurt them...Well, they actually kicked one out to a 5A job

FbCoachB40
10-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by maestro
ever since B40 left the pressbox, it has been bleak....B40 is an offensive " mad scientist".

Thanks,

I really miss those days in Wharton, but we were LOADDED with talent. It is easy to win with that many D1 players on the field.

baseballcoach13
10-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
They lost a Head FB & Head BsB to 5A that really hurt them...Well, they actually kicked one out to a 5A job

I was referring to the baseball coach....But I heard during football practice he just sat on a bucket and drew up bunt coverages in the the dirt beside the football field.

baseballcoach13
10-19-2010, 09:56 AM
well he did have one leg that was at least 6 inches shorter...hard to paint a straight line and hobble at the same time.

tog
10-19-2010, 11:02 AM
how are the underlevels this year?

pancho villa
10-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by tog
how are the underlevels this year?

1 subvarsity team

wharton45
10-19-2010, 01:16 PM
yea wharton faclities do need to be updated. all the coaches need to be fired. hiring coaches from little schools is not the way to go. they do not know anything about how to evulate talent. there head coach now is an embarrasement.

tog
10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
are there kids walking the halls?
or has the talent pool just fallen off that bad?

baseballcoach13
10-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by wharton45
yea wharton faclities do need to be updated. all the coaches need to be fired. hiring coaches from little schools is not the way to go. they do not know anything about how to evulate talent. there head coach now is an embarrasement.

So just because a coach is at a 'little' school they cannot evaluate talent...or evidently be a good coach?

I agree with Paycheck, disgruntled fa sho.

FbCoachB40
10-19-2010, 02:47 PM
The facilities are terrible. The AD needs to make friends with the county inspector...invite him to lunch, and take him by the facilities. I would guarantee that the weightroom would be condemmed, quite possibly the field house (with no showers that work), and maybe even that rickety old pressbox

44INAROW
10-19-2010, 08:29 PM
speaking of Wharton - this is NOT sports related so shoot me, but we drove through Wharton on 59 today - what are they doing on the medians??.. looks like they are pouring concrete about 2 feet wide on the northbound side for a mile or two - then on the southbound side of the median??.. Husband thought maybe some kind of barrier? I thought maybe drainage??

Necked
10-19-2010, 09:04 PM
I remember some wonderful, walk-away sweating games we played with Wharton when we dropped to 3A. And I remember the infighting that appeared between the coaching/fans/administrators that seemed to help tear Wharton apart. The team barely has enough players to scrimmage themselves. Even the band has disappeared. When your a 3A school & you have to pipe in music for the dance team at halftime you know your hurting for numbers...
But always remember Wharton fans...The wonderful thing about Tiggers.....Is Tiggers are wonderful things.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrr ! ! ! !

wharton45
10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
the coaches dont seem to care about nothing but themselves. they dont help these kids get to college. they justt care about them winning games and wharton still doesnt win games. All these coaches are afraid of is losing there jobs which they should in my opinion.

maestro
10-20-2010, 06:55 AM
the coaches dont seem to care about nothing but themselves. they dont help these kids get to college. they justt care about them winning games and wharton still doesnt win games. All these coaches are afraid of is losing there jobs which they should in my opinion.

wow.....venting are we ???

wharton finds a way to beat needville and they are a playoff team....benefits of a small 5 team district....but a playofff team non the less.

colleges send out " seasonal" recruiters that visit in the springtime. Cannot imagine wharton coaches telling them to stay away. from what i've read from former wharton coaches on here, why should recruiters go after a sub six footer with a C plus ave. when they can go get an A student or a B student at fort bend isd that is 6' or better , runs a solid 40 time...and has a solid character and work habits.

if wharton has any college ability kids, the recruiters will find them.

but going 2-6 and walking around the field on friday nights ain't cutting it.
good heavens, now i'm venting...

FbCoachB40
10-20-2010, 09:39 AM

Truth is...

#1 - the classes that you were a part of have hurt current Wharton athletes from being recruited. I know of at least 8 or 9 Wharton athletes since 2002 who committed to universities or Jucos, and either quit, came back home; or, transferred and never finished playing. Even the biggest of athletes transferred twice, and completely embarrassed the program with silly late hits and sideline demeanor.

#2 - Tell me who is or has been a scholarship athlete at Wharton in the past 3 years. Who would you give a scholarship to if you were a college coach?

wharton45
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Well I know of two athletes that are currently playing college football and I know for a fact did not get help what so ever in the process. Cameron Greene and Johnny Guzman. Greene Went to an NAIA school In kansas his freshman year last year and walked on to Sam houston State this past fall and made it. So i see Greene bettered himself. He just has to sit out this fall for transfer rules going up in divisions. And Guzman is at Mary Hardin Baylor. Granted that is D3 school. That is one of the Best D3 schools all around. Not all Wharton players are thugs like people assume they are.

FbCoachB40
10-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Well I know of two athletes that are currently playing college football and I know for a fact did not get help what so ever in the process. Cameron Greene and Johnny Guzman. Greene Went to an NAIA school In kansas his freshman year last year and walked on to Sam houston State this past fall and made it. So i see Greene bettered himself. He just has to sit out this fall for transfer rules going up in divisions. And Guzman is at Mary Hardin Baylor. Granted that is D3 school. That is one of the Best D3 schools all around. Not all Wharton players are thugs like people assume they are.

I said nothing of wharton players being THUGS...I love all of the players at Wharton that I had the opportunity to coach. Cameron did not fall under the current coaching staff, nor was he under Roberts. That would be Van Sant.

Good for Johnny Guzman. He has followed in the foot steps of one the BEST young men to EVER come out of Wharton, and that is Jeremy Salinas. Go get'em Johnny.

I played D3 also, one the best times of my life.

wharton45
10-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Greene was actually coached by the current head coach his senior year. and from what I heard it took for awhile to get his film to make his highlight video to send out to schools. I know Cameron is an execellent student. may have not been the best football player to ever come out of Wharton but I know he was probably one of the hardest working kids. I know he wasnt the biggest but he sure worked hard to get bigger. and Yes jeremy salinas was one of the greats to come out of Wharton.

FbCoachB40
10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Greene was actually coached by the current head coach his senior year. and from what I heard it took for awhile to get his film to make his highlight video to send out to schools. I know Cameron is an execellent student. may have not been the best football player to ever come out of Wharton but I know he was probably one of the hardest working kids. I know he wasnt the biggest but he sure worked hard to get bigger. and Yes jeremy salinas was one of the greats to come out of Wharton.

I stand corrected...the second time I have been wrong

swosudog15
10-21-2010, 08:15 AM
There were 3 kids from Wharton who graduated in 09 and went on to play college football. The two that went to Mary Hardin Baylor both quit. The other went to an NAIA school in Kansas and quit.

FbCoachB40
10-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by swosudog15
There were 3 kids from Wharton who graduated in 09 and went on to play college football. The two that went to Mary Hardin Baylor both quit. The other went to an NAIA school in Kansas and quit.

Like I said.

wharton45
10-21-2010, 12:55 PM
actually guzman and greene are still playing. i dont know where you got this information they quit. but they are still playing.

swosudog15
10-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Acutally neither is listed on any roster for any college for the 2010 season. I assume they did not get kicked off the team or cut from the team, so therefore that only leaves one conclusion...they quit.

FbCoachB40
10-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by swosudog15
Acutally neither is listed on any roster for any college for the 2010 season. I assume they did not get kicked off the team or cut from the team, so therefore that only leaves one conclusion...they quit.

Not exactly...if you had been keeping up with the posts earlier, you would have seen that Greene transferred and walked on at Sam Houston...made the cut, but has to red shirt due to transfer rules. Guzman is supposed to be at UMHB, but I don't know if he is.

FbCoachB40
10-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Guzman is nowhere on the roster at UMHB, so I don't know

swosudog15
10-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Leaving an NAIA school to go to an NCAA Division I school, both as walk-on's??? Transferring???

wharton45
10-21-2010, 02:06 PM
I know some kids that have done this. its really not that uncommon. The NAIA level is pretty competetive. Some kids just do not get looked at because lack of size or just lack of recruiting in the area. Im sure scouts did not want to really want to bother with Wharton since they were 3 and 7 during the 2008 season. Wharton hasnt had a winning season since 2006. Anything is possible if you set your mind to it. Greene is pretty good sized kid for Middle Linebacker at 5ft9 230. The height factor might be an issue. but I looked at Sam houston linebackers and there not that big as some would assume. If a kid can play ball then he can play ball.

swosudog15
10-21-2010, 02:21 PM
I know some kids that have done this. its really not that uncommon. The NAIA level is pretty competetive. Some kids just do not get looked at because lack of size or just lack of recruiting in the area. Im sure scouts did not want to really want to bother with Wharton since they were 3 and 7 during the 2008 season. Wharton hasnt had a winning season since 2006. Anything is possible if you set your mind to it. Greene is pretty good sized kid for Middle Linebacker at 5ft9 230. The height factor might be an issue. but I looked at Sam houston linebackers and there not that big as some would assume. If a kid can play ball then he can play ball. It is very rare that an NAIA player transfers to a DI school and actually plays. Yeah all the linebackers on Sam Houston's roster are over 6ft. What happened to this kid at Texas Luteran?? I guess he didn't quit there either...

swosudog15
10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
sorry, actually plays..

wharton45
10-21-2010, 02:36 PM
What kid went to texas lutheran???

swosudog15
10-21-2010, 03:04 PM
The same one that transfered to Sam.....

wharton45
10-21-2010, 03:10 PM
I was not aware of this