PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee

MesquiteFan
10-18-2010, 11:40 PM
What do we have to pay this guy to stay a Ranger? 100 million? 150 million? Let him own half the team?

Caldwell_Raider
10-18-2010, 11:41 PM
haha give him the whole team, don't hold anything back! haha JK

coach
10-19-2010, 02:13 AM
ehh he was ok tonight. nothing special

Old Tiger
10-19-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm pretty sure the Yankees will outbid anyone to get him.

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2010, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I'm pretty sure the Yankees will outbid anyone to get him.

I dont think Lee is going to be all about going to the highest bidder

GrTigers6
10-19-2010, 06:29 AM
I bet Nolan will do as whatever he can to keep him

Twirling Time
10-19-2010, 06:35 AM
The bidding starts at 5 years, $110 million for Lee.

You can probaby add $10 million for every additional playoff win Lee gets.

RPF2666
10-19-2010, 06:54 AM
The Rangers only chance is to win the World Series...

Anything less and he goes to Yankees...

Super_R
10-19-2010, 07:28 AM
He didn't even break a sweat last night. It looked like he was just out there throwing a pen.

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by RPF2666
The Rangers only chance is to win the World Series...

Anything less and he goes to Yankees...

I know others have said this, but IMO I dont see why winning the WS will be only reason..in fact winning a title might HURT Texas as much as help them in keeping Lee

Farmersfan
10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Yet another reason I hate the Yankees! Even though the Yankees have a payroll that is 200 million higher than most other teams we can't even talk about how the Rangers can possibly get Cliff Lee without everyone speaking the "Y" word! MLB seriously needs to address this disparity in payroll! And the saddest part is that the Yankees have a payroll 5X higher than the Rangers and the RANGERS are still paying part of TXs salary and A-Frauds salary if I'm not mistaken! I can't say that the Rangers will keep Cliff Lee but I certainly hope the Yankees don't get him!!!!!!!!!

BILLYFRED0000
10-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by coach
ehh he was ok tonight. nothing special

Your right. The only pitcher in major league history to strike out 10 or more batters in 3 consecutive post season games with a post season era of 1.26.
Just average at best....:rolleyes:

NastySlot
10-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Your right. The only pitcher in major league history to strike out 10 or more batters in 3 consecutive post season games with a post season era of 1.26.
Just average at best....:rolleyes:

and I think he was only two strike outs away from setting a record held by Sandy Koufax....striking out 15 Yankee batters in a playoff.

RoyceTTU
10-19-2010, 08:27 AM
From what I've read we are talking about 20 million per year for the starting bid. It will go up from there. I'm not sure how many years you would want him for. I'm sure he is going to push for 5-6 year contract.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lee and would make him my starter any day. But financially for the team, why not let him go and do what the Rangers and Cardinals did. Go after an ACE early in the season from a struggling team. Seems much more financially viable.

This would keep us out of the same pickle we got into with A-Rod never ending contract. JMO

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
From what I've read we are talking about 20 million per year for the starting bid. It will go up from there. I'm not sure how many years you would want him for. I'm sure he is going to push for 5-6 year contract.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lee and would make him my starter any day. But financially for the team, why not let him go and do what the Rangers and Cardinals did. Go after an ACE early in the season from a struggling team. Seems much more financially viable.

This would keep us out of the same pickle we got into with A-Rod never ending contract. JMO

Reason why is...Who would the Rangers get that could be as good as Lee in postseason?

RoyceTTU
10-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Reason why is...Who would the Rangers get that could be as good as Lee in postseason?

I really can't answer that ad-hoc. There might not be one as good as him. But often it dosn't take the best player to win the game. There might be another player that could of get the job done, just not quite so effeciently.

He's good but would hate to guarantee him 150 mil for 5-6 years and him wear down in 3 years. There is only very few pitchers in history that can play to the level he does year in and year out. Who knows maybe he is one.

You should know up front I'm very conservative by nature so to me this is a bit of a risk. Sure it might reap the reward, but it also might not.

BILLYFRED0000
10-19-2010, 08:54 AM
It comes down to a simple fact. To win in the bigs you have to have pitching. If you are going to pay anybody and you plan to go deep it better be pitching. Right now the rangers are 19th in payroll.
They can afford an ace and really should find an ace middle reliever as well. The rest of the team is pretty well set and we have homegrown coming in too.

MesquiteFan
10-19-2010, 09:24 AM

This isn't the best strategy and goes against what JD and Nolan are trying to do. Prospects are valuable commodities and the Rangers have a ton and want to keep it that way.

They wouldn't continue to unload prospects midseason when they can just sign Cliff Lee and have their ace for 4-5 years.

BullsFan
10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure it's all about money for Cliff Lee. At some point the amount of money becomes abstract when the figures get that big, and the Rangers have some intangibles going for them, like proximity to Lee's family and team rapport. Maybe those will factor in to his decision.

RoyceTTU
10-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I'm not sure it's all about money for Cliff Lee. At some point the amount of money becomes abstract when the figures get that big, and the Rangers have some intangibles going for them, like proximity to Lee's family and team rapport. Maybe those will factor in to his decision.

I hope you are right. As I said before, I like him and he would be mine #1. He is awesome to watch, so mythodical to his approach to batters. You can tell he is always 1 pitch ahead of the batter.

Macarthur
10-19-2010, 10:22 AM
6 years and $150 million will probably get it done. CC signed for $23 per year. I think $25 will get it done.

Look, the reality is that Nolan and JD could offer him $100 million per year and the Yankees could offer $101 million. The issue is where he wants to be. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but he sure looks like he enjoys playing with this team and he & his wife just don't seem like NYC people, to me.

Also, KC has said they will entertain offers in the offseason for Grienke. How awsome would it be to sign Lee and somehow pull off a trade for Grienke? Wow!

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I can dream.

GrTigers6
10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
I really can't answer that ad-hoc. There might not be one as good as him. But often it dosn't take the best player to win the game. There might be another player that could of get the job done, just not quite so effeciently.

He's good but would hate to guarantee him 150 mil for 5-6 years and him wear down in 3 years. There is only very few pitchers in history that can play to the level he does year in and year out. Who knows maybe he is one.

You should know up front I'm very conservative by nature so to me this is a bit of a risk. Sure it might reap the reward, but it also might not. Is this tom Hicks? :D :D

Old Tiger
10-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Doesn't the players union in MLB encourage players to get the most money they can? That is why you seldom see players stay in places they like for less money, correct?

RoyceTTU
10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Doesn't the players union in MLB encourage players to get the most money they can? That is why you seldom see players stay in places they like for less money, correct?

I wouldn't be suprised. If you have guys taking pay cuts to play at certain places, then the benchmark get lower. If Lee supports the union, signing a monstor contract will pave the way for "the next big thing" that can sign a monstor contract + some.

I don't believe all players think this way which supports your statment of saying the player union "encourages" and not mandates anything.