PDA

View Full Version : Care Package for LE Dad's son

trojandad
10-18-2010, 12:45 PM
i got up this morning, hugged my daughter, which is mandatory every day (daddy's girl), found both my boys and hugged them (they were bewildered) and told them what happened, saying i just felt sad i couldn't do more....the youngest said i should send his son a coldspring hat to remember a freind he met online....

smart kid (must be his mom comng thru)....if anyone online is someone who could serve as a go between, someone that knew carl and his liberty family, maybe we could all send a hat or other school momento of some sort....i plan on sending flowers but somehow i just think he'd look down, see us sending flowers and snicker, thinking about sending me a picture of me in a tutu....

anybody do better with this idea that i have?

Rocket
10-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I wonder if the kids need anything. It would be very cool to help them out.

ccmom
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I will help in anyway I can.

trojandad
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
the one thing i could see that 3adl could give nobody else could would be school momentos from each school on the board...we kinda have the corner on that market here...

dont want to post their address (don't have it to post) but maybe we could send hats from each school to one member online that knew the family well enough to get them to him....

Hornet Mom 2
10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Not trying to be nosey, but is the mom around? I noticed in the obit it did not mention a surviving wife? Do the kids need anything besides momentos?? (that's the mom coming out in me, sorry)!

pirate4state
10-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
I wonder if the kids need anything. It would be very cool to help them out. That's what I've been "worrying" about all day.

Rocket
10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
the one thing i could see that 3adl could give nobody else could would be school momentos from each school on the board...we kinda have the corner on that market here...

dont want to post their address (don't have it to post) but maybe we could send hats from each school to one member online that knew the family well enough to get them to him....

They don't really NEED that. I am talking about something they need right now that would really help them out.

trojandad
10-18-2010, 01:19 PM
trust me, i'm all for any help.....just get ideas and i'm there....was just starting with something simple but i'm behind you all......

waterboy
10-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Hornet Mom 2
Not trying to be nosey, but is the mom around? I noticed in the obit it did not mention a surviving wife? Do the kids need anything besides momentos?? (that's the mom coming out in me, sorry)!
Carl and his wife were divorced, and they shared joint custody from what I gathered. She does survive him along with his children, Daniel and Ariana. His daughter, Ariana, was left with a broken leg. I don't know what I can do to help his kids in this obvious time of need, but I am willing. It goes without saying, but my prayers are definitely with them.

Daniel,
If you or your sister need anything, or if I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask via PM on here, or call me. My phone number is in your Dad's phone.

Bullaholic
10-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe some poster who knew LE Dad or the family could make an inquiry as to their needs, or, failing that, perhaps someone would want to volunteer for that duty.

hollywood
10-18-2010, 01:25 PM
I will help in anyway as well. Please keep all posted.

BullsFan
10-18-2010, 01:52 PM
I would love to help as well. I think sending high school football hats would be nice down the line, but for right now I'm guessing that a Walmart card or something of that sort might be more useful. I'd love to send for both.

44INAROW
10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Just a thought- (assuming the son and daughters' immediate needs are being taken care of) My dad was a teacher and football official - when he died, we had TONS of flowers, lots of donations to the booster club and scholarship program and all of those were greatly appreciated. But, what I remember most was the gift certificate at the local flower shop for flowers to be bought at a later date (Christmas, Easter, Father's Day and his birthday) Since Carl's children are young but old enough to make purchases this might be an idea.. just food for thought..

DDBooger
10-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Someone could/has set up a paypal account to help with any unforeseen costs or bills. I'd love to give if someone has any of this information.

DDBooger
10-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I'm guessing that a Walmart card or something of that sort might be more useful. I'd love to send for both. +1

Rocket
10-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Just a thought- (assuming the son and daughters' immediate needs are being taken care of) My dad was a teacher and football official - when he died, we had TONS of flowers, lots of donations to the booster club and scholarship program and all of those were greatly appreciated. But, what I remember most was the gift certificate at the local flower shop for flowers to be bought at a later date (Christmas, Easter, Father's Day and his birthday) Since Carl's children are young but old enough to make purchases this might be an idea.. just food for thought..

Let's get the address of the booster club for LE. Bless their socks off in Carl's honor.

Txbroadcaster
10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Whatever the site decides please let me know and we will talk about it on our show and game this week

44INAROW
10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Let's get the address of the booster club for LE. Bless their socks off in Carl's honor.

I think this is a great idea.. :)

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Whatever the site decides please let me know and we will talk about it on our show and game this week

That's very nice of you!

ccmom
10-18-2010, 02:23 PM

I like that idea a lot!!

slpybear the bullfan
10-18-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm in. Please let me know what the plan is.

Txbroadcaster
IMO we still need to make sure his kids have the staple things they need the next month or so because that will be the last thing on their minds

DDBooger
IMO we still need to make sure his kids have the staple things they need the next month or so because that will be the last thing on their minds Yup, that's why I asked about a Paypal donation or if there is a bank account set up in his name?

pirate4state
10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
IMO we still need to make sure his kids have the staple things they need the next month or so because that will be the last thing on their minds I agree. A donation to the LE booster club is very nice too, but I'm more worried about his kids and making sure their needs are met, given everything he has shared about them.

BullsFan
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I agree. A donation to the LE booster club is very nice too, but I'm more worried about his kids and making sure their needs are met, given everything he has shared about them.

Ditto here. I love the idea of a memorial donation in his name or sending hats or whatever, but for right now I want to make sure the kids have groceries and other basic needs taken care of. Usually here we all take food/groceries to the family when a death has occurred, and I think I feel like I should do something along those lines. It seems more like losing a friend or neighbor than losing a poster on an internet site.

DaHop72
10-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I wonder about funeral expenses, if he had them prepaid or set aside? If not, that is a huge expenses today.

Tx Challenge
10-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Just a thought, and the MODs/OWNERS of this site might not agree.

LE Dad loved this site. No doubt he would want it to continue. We could have an account of some sort set up for a period of time for ppl to donate. As members, we could do a poll, or vote to what majority % of donations to be sent his family, a very small % to be donated to this site in his name. We could possible run a banner of some sort on the site......

Thoughts?

Global Swarming
10-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Y'all let me know what I can do to help. Someone can PM me when it's decided. I was very fortunate to have my mom into my 30's before she passed. These poor kids didn't even have time to prepare for this tragedy. I'm willing to make a donation for whatever y'all decide. I didn't know him, but I hurt for his kids and family. Losing a parent is never easy but losing them this way is just unbelievable. My prayers go out to his kids and family. This just breaks my heart.

waterboy
10-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I wonder about funeral expenses, if he had them prepaid or set aside? If not, that is a huge expenses today.
That's the first thing that comes to my mind, too. Funeral expenses are one thing I worry about. When my Dad died in '93 I didn't have to worry about it because my two aunts took care of it. When my Mom died in '95, I didn't have to worry about it much because she had it covered with insurance. When my oldest brother died in '01 my family and I had to pay for it, over $7,000. When my youngest brother died last year, it cost my family and I right at $8,000. That's one of the many things that worry me, and I know from experience that funerals are expensive. Not only do you have to worry about those expenses, but you have to take care of other debts, and the worst part (other than the empty void in your life) is having to go through and distribute the deceased's belongings. A scholarship fund for the kids would be one of the best things I can think of to do. I'll go along with whatever is decided, though.

trojandad
10-18-2010, 04:19 PM
people ask me what the draw is to come on this board....i'm directing them to this thread.....people talking about a man they never met and putting his kids under their collective wings in any way possible....i'm so very proud to be named among you guys and gals....what a cool gathering of people......

trojandad
10-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Hornet Mom 2

and hornet mom, you go on being a mom.....this board wouldnt be what it is without you moms being moms out here....you don't need to apologize for anything, ma'am.....

pirate4state
10-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
A scholarship fund for the kids would be one of the best things I can think of to do. I'll go along with whatever is decided, though. That's a great idea!!!

Bless my dad, he had all his funeral arrangements made and paid for so I didn't have to "worry" with that, just confirmed everything with the funeral director. My mom's funeral is also paid for and that is a huge relief. I can't imagine having to be responsible for this as a teenager.

AP Panther Fan
10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Let me know how I can help, especially if it will directly benefit the kids. I hope he had a close family, for the sake of his children.

This has "teared me up" throughout the day and left me feeling empty and sad. Gosh, we don't often have to deal with this on the board.

:( :( :(

GrTigers6
10-18-2010, 08:51 PM
All the ideas, sound great. I think that we should do what we can for the kids, but if you decide to donate a hat from each school represented on here. then ley me know because my dad is a picture framer and we could come up with a pretty cool shadow box to hold them as a memorial.

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge

LE Dad loved this site. No doubt he would want it to continue. We could have an account of some sort set up for a period of time for ppl to donate. As members, we could do a poll, or vote to what majority % of donations to be sent his family, a very small % to be donated to this site in his name. We could possible run a banner of some sort on the site......

Thoughts?
I like that idea!

1st and goal
10-18-2010, 09:26 PM
I think it would be cool if LE's team makes the playoffs, and the 3Adownlowers could go to the game enmasse with a big meet and greet planned. Any thing special that was/is decided to give or donate could maybe be presented then? (they could probably use the $$$ now though).

I know, I know, each team has their own agenda with many making the playoffs and Texarkana is waaaaayyy up there. But if they make it to the 3rd round or so when a bunch have dropped out, then many are looking for a good game to attend anyway.

Just a thought. Shape it as needed to fit.

pirate4state
10-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Will be getting some info about donations tomorrow. Will keep yall posted.

trojandad
10-18-2010, 09:29 PM
we have a bye week this week and i was thinking about the trip...

skins4life
10-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge

Thoughts?

I like this idea.

Phil C
10-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I can't do much but I will be able to do some on payday so please count me in for a donation. Even small donations can add up. This is really hit everyone hard I know and for it to happen that way to someone so young. That is one of the hardest things about growing old when someone so much younger goes before you. It is hard. RIP Carl. :(

sinton66
10-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Will be getting some info about donations tomorrow. Will keep yall posted.

be patient folks, info coming tomorrow.

MUSTANG69
10-19-2010, 07:35 AM
You should "sticky" this thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. That would probably help increase participation if it stayed on the first page. Just a suggestion.:thinking:

pirate4state
10-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
You should "sticky" this thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. That would probably help increase participation if it stayed on the first page. Just a suggestion.:thinking: We have enough stickies, IMO. When I get the info for donations I'll make a new thread so it stays close to the top. :)

MUSTANG69
10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
We have enough stickies, IMO. When I get the info for donations I'll make a new thread so it stays close to the top. :)

Well excuse me.

SintonPirateFan
10-19-2010, 09:53 AM
just now getting on here and seeing this... how awful.

i agree with the donations for the kids first... maybe later on something for the LE boosters. maybe a donation from DL members given at the end of the season or something. right now it's his family that needs to be taken care of.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-19-2010, 10:07 AM
I will contribute as well, just let me know how to do it.

pirate4state
10-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Well excuse me. You're excused :kiss:

SintonFan
10-19-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm in.

waterboy
10-19-2010, 02:20 PM
TTT

Any word yet?

firstdown
10-19-2010, 04:15 PM
bump

garciap77
10-19-2010, 04:27 PM
I would like to help with any unforeseen costs or bills. Count me in.

BEAST
10-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Im in as well. Just tell us what we are doing and how to do it.

BEAST

CheerMom
10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Count me in, too...

pirate4state
10-19-2010, 06:59 PM
txkmom is trying to get me info. she thought she'd have it today, but it is looking like tomorrow. from how her message read, nothing is in place just yet.

will keep the board posted.

GrTigers6
10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
txkmom is trying to get me info. she thought she'd have it today, but it is looking like tomorrow. from how her message read, nothing is in place just yet.

will keep the board posted. thanks pirate4state

waterboy
10-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Any word yet? I'm ready to make a contribution....

pirate4state
10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Any word yet? I'm ready to make a contribution.... There are issues regarding guardianship, and a trustee has to sign for a donation account, so nothing has been done here yet. As soon as we hear something or figure out the best way to go about handling this we will pass it on to everyone. Patience :)

garciap77
10-21-2010, 12:32 PM
There are issues regarding guardianship, and a trustee has to sign for a donation account, so nothing has been done here yet. As soon as we hear something or figure out the best way to go about handling this we will pass it on to everyone. Patience :)

Thanks!

trojandad
10-21-2010, 04:50 PM
having been on a bank board once upon a time, an untimely death is usually met with the head of the bank carrying the deceased's banking account is many times asked to serve as trustee for a donation acct, which is in their best interest to do for financial as well as public relations reasons....sometimes this "etiquette" dwindles away the larger the town gets (and maybe Texarkana verges on being that large) but the mechanics of it is usually handled by request of the local funeral home to the local banks when notified someone is coming.....

you're VERY wise to not advocate or advertise donations before that happens for 100+ reasons, ESPECIALLY with minor children involved, but frankly i'm shocked it wasn't in place a day or two after the death......very unusual from my experience....there are too many positive reasons for the business entities invoved to not create one and too few negative reasons not to.....oh well....

sinton66
10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Hmmmm, if the kids have their own accounts......;)

and they do. We'll try contacting the bank and see what we can do as soon as I find out which bank.

Aesculus gilmus
10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
I just now found out about this. I echo what many have said. I feel like I've lost a good friend even though I never met the guy and I've also shed a few tears while reading through these pages just now.

It hits home to me literally because I actually SURVIVED a similar accident involving a Chevrolet Suburban which ran off the road and hit me head-on in 2003.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. One thing I can assure them and everyone else is that this is not all there is. I've basically been to the other side and the only message I have for what I experienced "on the other side" is that only love survives physical death and that is a very comforting thought that has given me peace ever since that happened to me.

sinton66
10-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Okay, we have it arranged, check RM's sticky at the top of the page