PDA

View Full Version : Question for Rules Guru's

sinton66
09-29-2002, 09:12 AM
Old Green and I were watching Cuero/Sinton play friday nite, and we saw something we had never seen before. Sinton was flagged twice for "unsportsmanlike conduct" on the same play. The officials marked off both penalties against Sinton before the next play. It amounted to a 30yd. penalty. I/we didn't know they could do that.
Does anyone KNOW the real rules or where they can be found?

<small>[ September 29, 2002, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

o'cowboy
09-29-2002, 09:58 AM
Sinton66 I saw the same thing happen against Wharton last night they got a personal foul for late hit out of bounds and then the tackler stood up over him and hit him with his hands and said something that drew another flag and both were tacked on which resulted in 30 yards.

o'cowboy
09-29-2002, 09:59 AM
Sinton66 I saw the same thing happen against Wharton last night they got a personal foul for late hit out of bounds and then the tackler stood up over him and hit him with his hands and said something that drew another flag and both were tacked on which resulted in 30 yards.

mwynn05
09-29-2002, 04:55 PM
i believe u are supposed to mark off both penelties im not sure i will ask myuncle who is an official next itme i see him

PPHSfan
09-29-2002, 07:10 PM
The trick is to "commit" all of your personal fouls at the same time when you are inside your own five yard line.......that way 75 yrds worth of penaltys only cost you a couple of yards :D :D :D :D :D

sinton66
09-29-2002, 08:23 PM
Ok, I heard from a ref that saw this and pm'd me on the pig. Seems they can do this. If it's two dead ball infractions on the same play, they can assess both. He is trying to get on here too, but hadn't gotten his password back yet. Hopefully, he can explain it better than I can. :)

BigBrother70
09-29-2002, 08:35 PM
I've had a live ball dead ball like that. A player threw a forearm to the head during the play. After the flag was thrown, the coach shot me the bird for the flag, we had a second foul.
It ended up 3rd and 28 from the 9 due to half the distance on the second foul

SintonFan_inAustin
09-30-2002, 02:52 AM
Sinton two penalty's, i believe was one was live ball and one was after the play was over, so that got add it on to the first flag. I thought it was a 25 yard penalty. One was holding and the other unsportsmenship.

sinton66
09-30-2002, 05:47 AM
You may be right, I thought the announcer said two unsportsmanlike conducts, but may be mistaken.

Birdman
10-01-2002, 12:49 AM
I saw West Orange Stark penalized 45 yards on three unsportsmanlike conduct infractions on the same play! The three separate penalties were on the bench. Coach Hooks kept chewing on the zebras and they kept throwing flags. Bizarre. Coach H did have to make a trip to Austin to explain everything to the boys at UIL. This was several years ago but I will never forget it. They still kicked our butts. :D

TXMike
10-04-2002, 12:20 PM
I think you guys have got it figured out already but just a few things to add:
1. Anyone who wants to look at the rulebook can do so at: http://www.safootballchapter.com/NCAA2002_football_rules.pdf

I imagine most of you know the UIL has some exceptions to these NCAA rules, but there are not many nor are they very significant.

2. Dead ball fouls and some live ball fouls that fit a category called "live ball fouls penalized as dead ball fouls", are all enforced, even if it means more than 1 yardage mark off against a team. There is an exception which applies in those situations when both team commit dead-ball fouls. That exception says that the penalties will cancel if the fouls are committed before the referee has stepped off any yardage or if the order in which the fouls occurred cannot be determind. Even if the yardage part of the penalties cancel, if the act which the player(s) committed calls for an ejection, he/they will still be ejected. (So don't get preturbed if you see the referee signal offsetting penalties but still see kids get ejected.)

3. Most unsportsmanlike conduct fouls which occur before the ball becomes dead are considered "live ball fouls penalized as dead ball fouls".