PDA

View Full Version : U.I.L. Marching Competition

maroonpirate04
10-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Another big supporter of your football team is your school's band. Go out and cheer on your team's marching band. Today most schools will be attending the marching contest around the state. Good luck to all 3A schools around the state. especially the Award-winning Sinton Pirate Marching Band.

GO PIRATE BAND!!!

DO WHAT YOU DO BEST EVERY YEAR, PLAY HARD AND PLAY LOUD BRING THAT "1" HOME!!

95mustang
10-16-2010, 12:21 PM
:iagree: :2thumbsup

bwdlionfan
10-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
especially the Award-winning Sinton Pirate Marching Band.

I'm not trying to knock bands because I think bands are great... but it seems like all of them are award winning... what does a band have to do to be considered 'award winning'?

trojandad
10-16-2010, 12:34 PM
have to admit, our band in cleveland got so many accolades that i'd look forward to us sharing the field during summer 2-a-days....i used to love overthrowing receivers and throwing the ball inside the bell of a sousaphone player.....if he was small enough the awkward weight would tip him or her over.....yea, i know, sure was fun, though.....:taunt: :taunt:

GSteer
10-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Our game had to be stopped twice last night because they said our band was too loud!!!

bwdlionfan
10-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by GSteer
Our game had to be stopped twice last night because they said our band was too loud!!!

I've never heard of that?!?!

maroonpirate04
10-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I'm not trying to knock bands because I think bands are great... but it seems like all of them are award winning... what does a band have to do to be considered 'award winning'?

They have won competition each year and it may not be state but that's one goal they hope to achieve

trojandad
10-16-2010, 01:13 PM
i'm with bwdlionfan....its not knocking them, its that so many bands leave competition saying they won....i just don't understand how it works......

95mustang
10-16-2010, 01:26 PM
When the bands go to UIL Marching Competition and March they will recieve a rating based on their perfromance. A rating of 1 is the best rating given out. If the recieve a 1 at the competition this week they move on to the next round, each round getting harder until the state competition. There are also marching festivals (contests) prior to UIL that bands perform in where they receive honors as best band in each classification, best drumline, best brass section, best overall band, etc.

These kids put alot of hard work into band and should be acknowledged for their efforts. They have alot of school pride and perform in the band with the same pride that the young men suit up with on friday nights. My oldest is in the Brownwood band and the majority of her time since the first Monday of August has been spent at the school working towards these contests.

bwdlionfan
10-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
When the bands go to UIL Marching Competition and March they will recieve a rating based on their perfromance. A rating of 1 is the best rating given out. If the recieve a 1 at the competition this week they move on to the next round, each round getting harder until the state competition. There are also marching festivals (contests) prior to UIL that bands perform in where they receive honors as best band in each classification, best drumline, best brass section, best overall band, etc.

These kids put alot of hard work into band and should be acknowledged for their efforts. They have alot of school pride and perform in the band with the same pride that the young men suit up with on friday nights. My oldest is in the Brownwood band and the majority of her time since the first Monday of August has been spent at the school working towards these contests.

The scale is 1 to 4 right? If they receive a 2 do they not move on? Is there another competition they can go to or are they through?

loboes86
10-16-2010, 02:03 PM
The scale is 1 to 4 right? If they receive a 2 do they not move on? Is there another competition they can go to or are they through? I thought the scale was 1 to 3, Only 1s move to the next level, then at area 1st,2nd, and 3rd move on to state marching contest, next semester they start working for concert and sightreading competition which is putting on a concert of 3 or four songs they get to reherse for and in sightreading they are given a music to perform they probably have never seen before and have an alloted time to practice and then be judged.

trojandad
10-16-2010, 03:34 PM
but several can receive "1's", right?

Trashman
10-16-2010, 03:44 PM
The scale is 1 to 4. Each band is rated by 3 different judges. The over all rating of a 1 is achieved by getting at least two judges to assign a rating of 1 to the band.

Each band is based solely on their performance not against each other, so every band could receive a rating of 1 in the competition. I have never heard of that happening. I have heard of a competition where no bands received a rating of 1.

bleedsbabyblue
10-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Here are 3A Region 8 Marching Results from today at Waco ISD:

Morning Session:

Lorena 1
Hillsboro 2
Madisonville 1
Connally 2
Mexia 2
Fairfield 2
LaVega 1
West 1

Afternoon Session:

Lampasas 1
Salado 1
CHINA SPRING 1
Robinson 1
Gatesville 1
Groesbeck 1

All six bands performing after lunch received a rating of 1. 10 out 14 bands advance to area. I've never seen that before.

bwdlionfan
10-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by bleedsbabyblue
Here are 3A Region 8 Marching Results from today at Waco ISD:

Morning Session:

Lorena 1
Hillsboro 2
Madisonville 1
Connally 2
Mexia 2
Fairfield 2
LaVega 1
West 1

Afternoon Session:

Lampasas 1
Salado 1
CHINA SPRING 1
Robinson 1
Gatesville 1
Groesbeck 1

All six bands performing after lunch received a rating of 1. 10 out 14 bands advance to area. I've never seen that before.

So can all 10 of those now claim 'award winning'? Lol I bet the other 4 received a 1 at some point if not this year then last year and they are award winning too...

BTW.. the China Spring band is awesome

sahen
10-16-2010, 04:57 PM
pretty sure the scale is 1 to 5...or atleast it used to be...one year beaumont central got a 5 cause they are one of those bands that entertain and just dance around....

also most bands say award winning if they have ever won an award in their history...i dunno y they do that but it'd be like a team calling themselves the champs every year after they won the state championship...some do win awards year in and year out but most just say award winning cause they have at least won an award at some time...thats y they can say it at the beginning of the year before they even compete in a competition...

bands put a ton of effort into what they do...what sucks for bands vs sports teams is you only get a chance to win a state title twice in high school...every year you do regionals but they only allow badns to advance to the next round every other year since they only do state contest for 1a, 3a, and 5a one year and 2a and 4a the next...i always felt that this should be changed as there really is no reason why they cant have bands have a shot to compete for a state title every year just like every other UIL sanctioned event that i know of...

Blastoderm55
10-16-2010, 05:04 PM
I think bands will carry the "award winning" mantra if they earn the Sweepstakes Award, which happens when the band earns 1s in the marching competition in the fall and in the concert and sight-reading portion in the spring.

gonktacular
10-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Here's the down low on how it works.

UIL State Marching competition is only held every other year for each classification. This year 3A and 5A bands can advance to State. Next year 1A, 2A, and 4A can advance.

The first round is UIL Region Competition (held today) - at this level everyone competes every year. In this round every band is judged by a panel of 3 judges and is given a rating from 1 to 5, 1 being the best.

Bands aren't ranked at this level. Any band that makes a 1 and is eligible to advance gets to move on to the Area Round the next week.

At Area, all of the bands march in a preliminary round and are ranked by the judges. Generally the top 10 or so bands (depending on how many bands there are) get to perform again in the finals round later that evening. The bands are ranked again, and the final top 3 (or more, again depending on how many bands there were) are certified to advance to the State Competition.

State is held the following week (this year in the Alamodome for 3A, not sure about 5A). It follows the same format as Area, and the band ranked #1 at the end of the finals is the State Champion.

So, long winded but there you go! Hope everyone's band did well this week.

bwdlionfan
10-16-2010, 08:47 PM
That is dumb that they can only compete for state every other year.

Are band competitions under direction of the UIL?

95mustang
10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Yes the band competitons are governed by the UIL.

By the way: Llano and Brownwood advanced for Region 7 west division today.

bwdlionfan
10-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes the band competitons are governed by the UIL.

By the way: Llano and Brownwood advanced for Region 7 west division today.

Congrats to both bands.

SintonFan
10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Brownwwod is going to win it all.
They have a very accurate drum major and lightning fast drummers. You should see the size of their tubas, they mow everyone down.:eek:

95mustang
10-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
They have a very accurate drum major and lightning fast drummers. You should see the size of their tubas, they mow everyone down.:eek:

Funny you bring this up because today there was an inpromptu (spelling) drum line stand off today and yes Brownwood took care of business. ;)

piratebg
10-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Anyone know how Sinton did today?

gonktacular
10-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan

:)

I know you're kidding but Brownwood has a pretty good shot this year of making it to the state competition.

There's a lot of bands we've encountered this year that have been really excellent. Big Spring will no doubt go deep into Area if not State and China Springs had an amazing band.

We haven't seen Wylie yet but they also always have a stellar program. They made it to state two years ago.

piratebg
10-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Nevermind. Just found out the Pirates got a 1. :clap: :clap: :clap:

gonktacular
10-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by piratebg

Congrats!

maroonpirate04
10-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Here are the results

Zapata..1
Mathis...1
Robstown... 2
Ingleside.... 2
Corpus Christi Miller..2
Corpus Christi West Oso...1
Rockport-Fulton...1
Orange Grove...1
Goliad....2
Aransas Pass...2

And for you Sinton Pirate fans your Pirate Marching Band received a 1:clap: :clap: :clap:

maroonpirate04
10-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Hopefully they move the competition back to Sinton next year by then Pirate Stadium will have turf installed:D

Gontex
10-17-2010, 01:03 AM
yes they can. Probably all 14 of them will claim it too.

SintonFan
10-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by piratebg

Very Cool!:clap: :) :clap:

SintonFan
10-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Funny you bring this up because today there was an inpromptu (spelling) drum line stand off today and yes Brownwood took care of business. ;)

Cool!:cool:

Rabid Cougar
10-17-2010, 09:30 AM
So can all 10 of those now claim 'award winning'? Lol I bet the other 4 received a 1 at some point if not this year then last year and they are award winning too...

BTW.. the China Spring band is awesome

Thanks. A "real" Marching Band!

gonktacular
10-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar

Not many of those left anymore either. Making it look as good as you guys did is way more difficult than it looks.

bwdlionfan
10-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar

Rabid Cougar... is there anywhere online that we can see a video of a China Spring band performance? I never was in band but I have friends who were that I told about ya'lls performance and I'd like to show it to them.

Rabid Cougar
10-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Rabid Cougar... is there anywhere online that we can see a video of a China Spring band performance? I never was in band but I have friends who were that I told about ya'lls performance and I'd like to show it to them.

There is nothing on this years show but this is from the State Marching Contest 2 years ago. This years band is much bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uLS1vWdyKs

bleedsbabyblue
10-17-2010, 09:11 PM
here is a link to our region performance at waco isd on saturday. it's not the best angle of view, but it will give you an idea of our show this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFFEfKV7iZU

china spring football team and coaching staff were in attendance to support our band on saturday!

good luck to all 3A bands at area this coming saturday!

bwdlionfan
10-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by bleedsbabyblue
here is a link to our region performance at waco isd on saturday. it's not the best angle of view, but it will give you an idea of our show this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFFEfKV7iZU

china spring football team and coaching staff were in attendance to support our band on saturday!

good luck to all 3A bands at area this coming saturday!

thanks for posting... awesome performance i sent to my friend