PDA

View Full Version : Computer experts? I need help!

waterboy
10-15-2010, 04:11 PM
The hard drive on my home PC crashed. I took it to a computer technician and he said he couldn't save any of the thousands of pictures and music on it. I'm not sure that the data is not recoverable because I can get to the c: prompt and look at the list of files, but my windows has crashed. Does anybody know anybody who can recover these files/pictures/music? I know all the programs are gone, but surely the pictures and music can be saved, right?:(

Blastoderm55
10-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Do you have anyone near you who has a working computer that you can plug your hard drive into? That person's system should be able to see your files if the drive is still functional.

waterboy
10-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Yep. I've got two other working computers. I'm pretty sure they tried that approach at the shop, though. What would I do? My wife was almost bawling due to the loss of those pictures....:(

gonktacular
10-17-2010, 12:09 AM
If you can see the files from a C:\ prompt that's a decent sign, sounds like the file system is still intact. Best thing to do is install it as a second drive in one of your other PCs and see if you can copy files from it. This can be easy or difficult depending on the interface the HDD uses. IDE drives are trickier than the newer SATA drives to get working as a secondary.

Not all computer shops are created equal - I manage one myself and we get fixable equipment in all the time that a competitor gave up on. Don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

If all else fails and there are no other options there are services that take your HDD to a lab and recover the data forensically in a clean room. That kind of data recovery can cost a gigantic amount but if the pictures are worth it...you might look into it.

SintonFan
10-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Make sure you freeze it overnight before you try to copy it. This has been known to buy a little time to port over files.

You might also be best served by burning a dvd of your picture file/s(if it isn't too big) than copying the whole drive if you can recognize the drive.

Paratrooper
10-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
The hard drive on my home PC crashed. I took it to a computer technician and he said he couldn't save any of the thousands of pictures and music on it. I'm not sure that the data is not recoverable because I can get to the c: prompt and look at the list of files, but my windows has crashed. Does anybody know anybody who can recover these files/pictures/music? I know all the programs are gone, but surely the pictures and music can be saved, right?:(

Did the computer technician determine why it crashed? There are many reasons why it could crash but just out of the blue....ummm. What was it doing prior to getting the blue screen of death?

waterboy
10-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
Did the computer technician determine why it crashed? There are many reasons why it could crash but just out of the blue....ummm. What was it doing prior to getting the blue screen of death?
The dreaded "blue screen" never occurred. It just went to a setup screen where it said the S.M.A.R.T. disc drive was BAD. I could actually get to the c: from there, but never could go into windows. I'm gonna pick up my hard drive from the shop in the next couple of days. Hopefully, I can save something off of it myself. I'll just have to wait and see after I pick it back up. More to come I'm sure.....

Diocletian
10-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Same exact thing happen to me twice already.....both times on drives that were over 10 years old.

go buy this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

it will allow you to connect directly to the drive and plug the USB into another computer/laptop to transfer the files. It comes with a wall plug for the Power Connection to your drive.

Drives are selling cheap..even at Best Buy and Walmart these days...once you have a new drive you can install your restore CD or your Windows Operating CD then re-stransfer the files back to your new drive...

jason
10-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Same exact thing happen to me twice already.....both times on drives that were over 10 years old.

go buy this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

it will allow you to connect directly to the drive and plug the USB into another computer/laptop to transfer the files. It comes with a wall plug for the Power Connection to your drive.

Drives are selling cheap..even at Best Buy and Walmart these days...once you have a new drive you can install your restore CD or your Windows Operating CD then re-stransfer the files back to your new drive...

i have one of those - paid for it many times over doing file recoveries for people...