PDA

View Full Version : Baylor coach says Dunn can practice

HEMOTOXIC
10-14-2010, 05:54 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkc/men/7247260.html

DALLAS — Baylor guard LaceDarius Dunn will be allowed to practice but remains suspended indefinitely from games while facing allegations that he broke his girlfriend's jaw in a domestic dispute, coach Scott Drew said Thursday.

Baylor begins practice Friday. A Baylor disciplinary panel earlier this week allowed him to return to class.

Drew made the announcement in a statement released by the university, which said he would make no further comment.

The leading scorer from last year's team that reached the NCAA regional finals still faces a felony aggravated assault charge, his attorney said.

Police in Waco say Dunn's girlfriend, Lacharlesla Edwards, had her jaw broken in two places Sept. 27. She has said that her jaw wasn't broken and Dunn didn't hit her.

The Baylor University Judicial Affairs Disciplinary Committee heard evidence Wednesday and found Dunn "not guilty of assaulting a female which resulted in her jaw being broken," Dunn's attorney, Vikram Deivanayagam, said in a statement, quoting from a letter he said he received from the panel.

Deivanayagam said he was not allowed to attend the hearing and Baylor has declined comment on the case.

"Obviously, we are pleased with their decision," Deivanayagam said. "We are also grateful for the opportunity Baylor University provided Mr. Dunn to defend himself of the charge."

Dunn plans to graduate in May, Deivanayagam said.

Baylor police said Thursday they have submitted Dunn's case to the McLennan County District Attorney's Office, which didn't return a phone call seeking comment.

Dunn was arrested Oct. 5, the same day Baylor announced that he was suspended. The 21-year-old Edwards, who is the mother of Dunn's 3-year-old son, last week said Dunn "has never struck me during our long-term relationship."

Dunn was a second-team All-Big 12 pick while averaging 19.6 points and 4.8 rebounds last season when Baylor set a school record with 28 victories and got within one win of making its first NCAA Final Four appearance in 60 years. He decided to return for his senior season rather than enter the NBA draft.

Ranger Mom
10-14-2010, 06:00 PM
I thought her own dad said that he hit her not knowing it was her!!

Something stinks here!!

HEMOTOXIC
10-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I thought her own dad said that he hit her not knowing it was her!!

Something stinks here!!

:ditto:

Global Swarming
10-14-2010, 08:16 PM
I seem to recall telling y'all that nothing was going to happen to him and that he will playing basketball again. A big fat check to the victim probably didn't hurt matters either. Poor victim of society. Just goes to show you that if you're a star athlete then you can basically get away with anything. Where does it end?

coachc45
10-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
I seem to recall telling y'all that nothing was going to happen to him and that he will playing basketball again. A big fat check to the victim probably didn't hurt matters either. Poor victim of society. Just goes to show you that if you're a star athlete then you can basically get away with anything. Where does it end?

I find it rather Hypocritical that you would quote a bible verse in your signature and then turn around and judge this young man off of what you have read in the paper and on here. You were not there, you do not know what happened nor will you ever. All I know is that the Mother of his child says her jaw is not broken and he did not hit her. Maybe she's lying, maybe she isn't.... what I do know is this, I wasn't there and noone else was there. So instead of passing judgement off of the numerous accounts of this story, why don't we practice what we preach. I know somewhere in the bible it says....Judge not lest we be judged. I don't know exactly the verse, but I'm sure with your knowledge you can find it.

And on your statement thar a star athlete can get away with anything quote.... it seems to me that the star athlete is usually considered Guilty way before he is proven to be. Everytime an athlete is accused of anything people automatically assume he did it, and if he is found not guilty then he "got away with it"... Maybe, just like everyone else in society, sometimes they get accused of things they didn't do. Maybe they are targeted by people who do want "a lot of money, or a fat check" who make this stuff up.

I'm not defending the young man, or athlete's in general... just can't stand Hypocrits and their holier than thou attitudes.

coachc45
10-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow...I feel better now!

Global Swarming
10-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Sorry dad! Man I haven't gotten a tongue lashing like that since I was a teenager. Only God and the guilty party knows what happened that day so I'll leave it at that.

coachc45
10-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
Sorry dad! Man I haven't gotten a tongue lashing like that since I was a teenager. Only God and the guilty party knows what happened that day so I'll leave it at that.

Yes Son!!!! Now go get me a BEER!!!!!

Hornet Mom 2
10-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
I know somewhere in the bible it says....Judge not lest we be judged. I don't know exactly the verse, but I'm sure with your knowledge you can find it.

The actual verse is:

Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

I am sure there are other versions of the verse, but this is the KJV of it.