PDA

View Full Version : One of Secretariat's foals in Needville

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Country Side is the oldest of five living foals of Secretariat. He is 25 in human years and like 75 in horse years. Country side has sired over 100 foals and still produces. Just heard this on the local news.

Anyone know where the other four are?

Necked
10-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Anyone know where the other four are? [/B]

...if they didn't win any races, probably on a menu in Thailand...

bobcat1
10-14-2010, 08:04 PM
One is in Arizona, He is a cross of Secretariat and a draft mare. One died August the 10th, Academy Award.

Old Tiger
10-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Country Side is the oldest of five living foals of Secretariat. He is 25 in human years and like 75 in horse years. Country side has sired over 100 foals and still produces. Just heard this on the local news.

Anyone know where the other four are? Probably still produces because they don't just let horses do it anymore. Most horse breeding now and the past 10-15 years with top dollar horses is artificial insemination. So they can "extract" the semen from the horse as much as they want when they are younger and continue to send off the "loads" for years.

rykerx144
10-14-2010, 10:44 PM
in 2009 there were still 8 alive in the United States. Im not sure how many of these have died but here is a list and who they were bred from?

Academy Award (Mine Only) Akram (Lizzie's Light), Country Side (Constant Nymph), Count von Count (Lass Trump, Innkeeper (Sue Babe), Regal Secret (Regal Alibi, ), Thill a Sec (Thill), and Tinners Way (Devon Diva)

alaskacat
10-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Probably still produces because they don't just let horses do it anymore. Most horse breeding now and the past 10-15 years with top dollar horses is artificial insemination. So they can "extract" the semen from the horse as much as they want when they are younger and continue to send off the "loads" for years.

Not true in Thoroughbred breeding, no artificial allowed.

I retired from being a jockey and trainer 10 years ago, but I so well remember the Belmont with Secretariat. He won by some 31 lengths. As a Stallion, he was a bit of a disappointment, but is a very very good broodmare sire.

Old Tiger
10-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by alaskacat
Not true in Thoroughbred breeding, no artificial allowed.

I retired from being a jockey and trainer 10 years ago, but I so well remember the Belmont with Secretariat. He won by some 31 lengths. As a Stallion, he was a bit of a disappointment, but is a very very good broodmare sire. artificial is all they do no days....they don't let horses mount. My dad was a jockey and I've been around the best in the business in both QH and TB

Thats interesting PM me with some of the tracks you competed at and your name man/woman?.

coachc45
10-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
artificial is all they do no days....they don't let horses mount. My dad was a jockey and I've been around the best in the business in both QH and TB

Thats interesting PM me with some of the tracks you competed at and your name man/woman?.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse-health/advances-in-reproductive-health-12-12-06.aspx

From the thoroughbred times. Seems to say that in thoroughbreds there is no artificial insemination.

"Thoroughbreds are at a disadvantage in the breeding shed because of the Jockey Club rule banning conception by any means other than live cover. While other breeds, including racing Standardbreds, can take advantage of the benefits of progressive technology in reproductive medicine, Thoroughbred breeders are faced with some of the same obstacles that have impacted their livelihood for decades, possibly even centuries."