PDA

View Full Version : TASO v. UIL UPDATE

Astrosdawg07
10-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Via email from TASO 8/23 Oct. 14, 2010

October 13, 2010
As we all know the UIL’s latest policy states that on or after November 1st all officials working a UIL game must be registered with the UIL. In an effort to halt their regulatory scheme, TASO secured a Temporary Injunction hearing for the week of October 18th.

If you are not a TASO Volleyball Official, you may not know that Volleyball Chapters have submitted their list of officials they are recommending for regional and state tournament assignments in early October. On October 5, only 5 days after the scheduling of the Temporary Injunction hearing, the UIL sent an e-mail to Volleyball Chapters advising them that any official on the top 25% list must be registered by 5:00 PM on October 13th or he/she would be removed from the top 25% list. This was an obvious and devious gimmick to put added pressure on those officials on the list to force them to register with the UIL.

In order to prevent the new deadline from adversely affecting TASO members, TASO filed a request for a temporary restraining order, which was heard by the Federal Court today. As a result of TASO’s quick reaction, the UIL was forced to back down from the October 13th deadline. The UIL represented in open court that they would not assign the regional and state tournament volleyball playoffs until after our temporary injunction is heard. This ensures that TASO’s volleyball members who have not registered with the UIL will not be at a disadvantage when it comes to regional and state tournament playoff assignments – plus, the UIL must post the statement concerning the waiving of today’s deadline on its website.

Additionally, TASO has scheduled a Preliminary Injunction hearing which will be heard on Wednesday October 20th in Federal Court. At this hearing, TASO will seek to prevent the mandatory registration/regulation of sports officials by the UIL. TASO is recommending you do not register at this time and more information will be provided after the hearing.

You may have noticed that the Preliminary Injunction hearing occurred in a Federal court as opposed to the State Court. In order to keep this message brief and to provide you the facts from today’s actions, I will provide you with more information on the move from State to Federal Court in a future email.

To address the question that some of you may have; “what’s wrong with a free registration process?”, I heard a new term in court that I think is very appropriate and that is “Creeping Regulation”. Today it may be a simple free registration process, but be assured the “creep” will come later.

Regards,

Mike

Michael Fitch
Executive Director
Texas Association of Sports Officials

3afan
10-14-2010, 10:50 AM
I registered with the UIL yesterday ..... got the word from our chapter stating that we needed to by Nov 1 or we would not get a schedule (softball)

Astrosdawg07
10-14-2010, 01:02 PM
See that's my one complaint, I wish TASO would keep us updated at least once a week. Even if there is nothing to report, at least tell us that and even what the next course of planned action is.

Originally posted by 3afan
I registered with the UIL yesterday ..... got the word from our chapter stating that we needed to by Nov 1 or we would not get a schedule (softball)

Was your chapter pushing you guys to join UIL; or did you do it on your own in effort to get games next season?

3afan
10-14-2010, 01:16 PM
the chapter told all of its members to register via the UIL web page or they would not get a schedule ...