PDA

View Full Version : Only 7 Seniors, but CALDWELL impressive!

KillerBee
09-15-2002, 09:05 AM
The Hornets are playing like a real "team" for the first time since the 11-1 regional finalist team in 1980 and with 7 seniors, 12 juniors and 11 tail-whippin' sophomores. This team might win 5 or 6 games this year and maybe qualify for the playoffs, but woe be unto Class 3A in 2003 and 2004 because combine them with an awesome freshman class and the city's growth and you have the makings of a sparkling future. Their new assistant coaches are making a world of difference in both attitude and raising standards and individual expectations. Cobia is doing a fine job and is a good person so I wish them the best of luck.
Trash-talking aside, this team deserves respect and makes excellent grades as well. A real class act! Sting' em, Swarm!

Ranger Mom
09-15-2002, 09:11 AM
Very respectable post - I am proud of you!!

All joking aside though, Caldwell seems to be loaded for the next few years!! I am not real football savvy, but 11 sophomores seems to be a lot for a varsity seem. That is great that they are already getting the experience like that. Good Luck!!!

[This message has been edited by Ranger Mom (edited September 15, 2002).]

tog
09-15-2002, 10:46 AM
there are eight seniors on the team

Pudlugger
09-15-2002, 11:04 AM
Reminds me of Marlin in 2000. They had 12 sophomores on that team which almost beat La Grange in the Semi-Final game. Now these players are seniors and expect Marlin to be your biggest hurdle in district 18 3A. This is a tough district with Marlin, Caldwell, Cameron and, don't forget, Rockdale! None of these teams will likely remain undefeated in district, with a complicated tie situation like D29 last year probable. Is a coin toss in someone's future? Maybe so.

KillerBee
09-15-2002, 09:37 PM
I totally agree with the statement about some kind of tie. Caldwell has Cameron and Marlin at home and Rockdale on the road. Marlin needs to keep grades up in classroom and I hear Cameron needs a few more offensive threats, which they usually find by district. Rockdale has potential, too. But something tells me after Lorena's 29-26 hard-fought loss to an unbeaten Waco Robinson team that they could play spoiler to someone's hopes. I hear that Troy isn't all that bad, either.
If Caldwell eliminates turnovers like they had vs. a solid Liberty Hill team, the sky is the limit to this team's capability. They've been averaging a touchdown every 7-8 plays per possession and they don't just have one go-to man like in the past with Mike Stone and Jason Carter, for example. The school board has extended Cobia's contract, which is good because what the program has needed in the past was stability and enough tenure to find out what the seniors learned since they were under the same leadership as seventh graders.
District will be tough, but IF they want it enough in their hearts, I can see a playoff appearance that the talented underclassmen could use for raising the bar gradually in the future. Do it to 'em, Orange Crush.... :-)

hornet03
09-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Another team that has a lot of sophomores is Cameron. I know that 5 of them start on defense, not sure about offense but there were a few. They need to get it together quick, because district is starting soon and they just dont have it on offense right now.

2k3_QB_10
09-15-2002, 10:01 PM
I know you are a true fan of Caldwell, but who exactly are you? does your son play football? just wondering, not coming across sarcastic

2k3_QB_10
09-15-2002, 10:02 PM
that was to killer bee

KillerBee
09-15-2002, 10:44 PM
I totally agree with the statement about a ties for playoff representation. Caldwell has home games with Marlin and Cameron and travels to Rockdale (which will likely decide third place, unfortunately). Marlin has to watch grades and Cameron just reloads (instead of re"builds"). Could be a Hornets vs. Hornets showdown if Caldwell makes post-season and plays Gatesville in bi-district. You'd know we'd be the "big school" now with all the tough schools in Division I. Yeesh..