PDA

View Full Version : Texas Homeowners please read.....

sinton66
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I got an email today that you may find interesting. I have been unable to verify the authenticity of the contents and encourage you to check it out for yourselves.

Here's the content:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to vote on Nov. 2nd

On November 2nd, there will be Propositions 1, 2, and 3 allowing the State of Texas to start taxing residential homeowners. So if you own a home and these laws are passed, you will be taxed by the state.

PLEASE VOTE "NO" to propositions 2 and 3 (HJR36) unless you want to pay taxes to the state also for owning a home.

Proposition 2: The proposed amendment would appear on the ballot as follows" "The constitutional amendment authorizing the legislature to provide for the ad valorem taxation of a residence homestead solely on the basis of the property's value as a residence homestead."

Proposition 3: The proposed amendment would appear on the ballot as follows: "The constitutional amendment providing the uniform standards and procedures for the appraisal of property for ad valorem tax purposes."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read the November ballot carefully, and if these two indeed do appear, I'd advise voting no. You already pay City, County, School, and in some cases Municipal Utility District taxes on your home.

And before some wise acre says it, yes, it's sports related because you may not be able to afford tickets to the football games afterwards.:)

SWMustang
10-12-2010, 05:02 PM
yep, gotta pay MUD here too. I think taxing your house and property is damn near criminal. It's like you really never own your home as they can repo for unpaid taxes. And when you retire and income drops substantially, you're still on the hook for whatever taxes you were paying at 55 and probably still working.

Trashman
10-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Here is the link to the bill in question.

Texas Legislature Online (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=HJR36)

sinton66
10-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Here is the link to the bill in question.

Texas Legislature Online (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=HJR36)

Some of that was saying it would be on the ballot in 2009. Not sure what that means. No matter, if it shows up this time, I'm voting no.

TheDOCTORdre
10-12-2010, 09:21 PM
not sports related:D :D :D jk

lulu
10-13-2010, 01:55 AM
I was sent an email saying that the tax for the sale price of our homes (3.5%)
is included in the Obama health care plan. Was verified by snoops. Not by me but by the guy who sent it. He's usually dead on.

big daddy russ
10-13-2010, 02:21 AM
If I remember correctly, Prop 3 provides for uniform home value standards by appraisal districts statewide, not a new tax on top of current property taxes.

Most glaring issue on that front is McLennan County. One of only two areas in the nation where tax values have gone up since the bubble burst. Still, the actual price of McClennan county real estate in that time period has plummeted.

Easily one of the most corrupt systems in the state. There's currently no provision for any type of oversight or recourse listed in the Texas Constitution or elsewhere. Therefore, Waco-area property owners are taxed at rates based on values well above actual market values.

On that subject, I was talking with a guy from Lacy Lakeview who had filed for a reevaluation of his tax value through his attorney recently. There are city by-laws that state if you purchase your house for less than 80% of listed tax value, you automatically have the right to have your property values reevaluated.

McLennan CAD flat out refused his reevaluation, even after being informed of city by-laws, and a lawsuit would've been more costly than beneficial.

One of the most corrupt gatherings of good 'ol boys since Boss Hog and Roscoe P. Coltrane.

big daddy russ
10-13-2010, 02:38 AM
***Not that I'm voting "yes" for the prop, just giving the counter-argument.

I actually haven't decided what I'm going to do just yet. Don't quite trust Perry with my money and proper oversight (let's be honest, he'll win the gubernatorial vote), but don't quite trust the good 'ol boys at XYZ county to always give me a fair shake.

Tiger Turtle
10-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I believe you may have misconstrued the meaning of the "solely on the basis of its' value as a residential homestead" proposition. According to my ad valorem tax consultant, this is intended to prevent the CAD in your county from taxing your homestead at some astronomical value based on its' potential commercial uses instead of what it is worth to you as a residence. This would be a change to the appraisal guidelines, which are currently silent on this issue.

BwdLion_80
10-13-2010, 08:04 AM
This mornings paper said the property tax thing to be on the ballot was a hoax.

BILLYFRED0000
10-13-2010, 09:55 AM
there is discussion of a state wide tax on property for the purpose of funding education which was allowed in the state till it was killed by a constitutional ammendment in 79.

Trashman
10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
This mornings paper said the property tax thing to be on the ballot was a hoax.

80 is correct saw it as well it is a hoax.

sinton66
10-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
80 is correct saw it as well it is a hoax.

I thought that might be the case from the link you posted. It seemed like the joint committee approved it, but I didn't see anything saying the full legislature agreed. I sort of figured it may have died on the floor for lack of support. Ay least we know there's one idiot representative out there somewhere that proposed this idea.

charlesrixey
10-13-2010, 10:12 PM
even though it was a hoax i am still thankful that you posted it for us just in case!

BaseballUmp
10-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Why don't they just write things in plain english?

Vote yes for higher taxes that are going towards this.

Vote no against higher taxes that are going towards this.

Instead its a lot of room for interpretation

sinton66
10-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Why don't they just write things in plain english?

Vote yes for higher taxes that are going towards this.

Vote no against higher taxes that are going towards this.

Instead its a lot of room for interpretation

LOL, it's called "legaleze". It's intentional so we have no clue what they're really up to.

BaseballUmp
10-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Blame the Illuminati!!! haha

garciap77
10-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Blame the Illuminati!!! haha

:eek: