PDA

View Full Version : Case Keenum going to appeal to NCAA for a 6th season

jason
10-12-2010, 09:05 AM
QB Case Keenum to seek 6th season

By Andrea Adelson
ESPN.com

Houston quarterback Case Keenum decided to appeal to the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility after going down for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

The school announced the decision Monday, but said there was no timeline for when it would submit the appeal or when it would get a decision from the NCAA.

"This ending wasn't exactly what I predicted for my senior year and because I care so much about this team and this university, I would love to be able to play one more season," Keenum said in a statement. "I don't know what the outcome will be, but I at least want to see the whole process through."

Keenum already redshirted his freshman year, so it will be up to the NCAA to decide whether he will get this sixth year of eligibility. Typically, the NCAA gives a sixth year if two seasons are lost because of injury. But each case is heard on an individual basis.

Keenum got hurt at the end of the second quarter in a 31-13 loss to UCLA on Sept. 18, when he tried to make a tackle following an interception. He tore his ACL, and said in a recent interview that he knew something was wrong after he was tackled. But he also added he had no regrets about making the tackle.

The season started with high expectations for Keenum. There was plenty of Heisman buzz, and he also was in position to become the NCAA career passing leader. Keenum now has 13,586 career yards, well behind the record of 17,702 yards held by former Hawaii standout Timmy Chang.

"Case has been such a big part of this team for the past five years and has done so many things to positively promote the Houston program," Cougars coach Kevin Sumlin said in a statement. "I was excited to hear that he wanted to come back next season and I know his teammates were thrilled as well. We are going to do everything we can to support him through the waiver process, both from an administrative and spiritual standpoint."

Without Keenum, Houston (3-2, 2-0 Conference USA) has turned to two true freshmen quarterbacks, Terrance Broadway and David Piland. Cotton Turner, who was the backup, also is out for the season with a broken clavicle.

Andrea Adelson is a national college football blogger for ESPN.com.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5674942)