PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about La Vernia and Somerset

rimcutter
10-16-2003, 01:36 AM
I know in the past La Vernia has been notorious for taking a early exit in the playoffs but that has also been a product of usually facing a team like state champs bandera or even in the past 7 to 8 years running into sealy. does anyone think they can make a serious push in the playoffs? And even though somerset is usually one of the many horrible 3a teams in south texas. with that coaching staff can he really turn a perenial dud into a stud over there in somerset. if anyone doesn't know their coach he is Koy and Ty Detmers' dad.

<small>[ October 16, 2003, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: rimcutter ]</small>

espn1
10-16-2003, 07:24 AM
rimcutter:
I know in the past La Vernia has been notorious for taking a early exit in the playoffs but that has also been a product of usually facing a team like state champs bandera or even in the past 7 to 8 years running into sealy. does anyone think they can make a serious push in the playoffs? And even though somerset is usually one of the many horrible 3a teams in south texas. with that coaching staff can he really turn a perenial dud into a stud over there in somerset. if anyone doesn't know their coach he is Koy and Ty Detmers' dad.Somerset won't be able to this year because their first playoff game will be against Burnet. I believe La Vernia could end up playing Wimberley again. I don't think either will make it past the first round. La Vernia is possible?

bulldogvet85
10-16-2003, 09:19 AM
well this year I dont think that La Vernia has a chance in the play-offs I'm surethey will make it will they pass the first round chances are no. The last couple of years they had there chances to go far but they ran into teams like La grange who killed them. And then I believe they faced wimberley. La vernia from what I hear isnt having there usual good season. One thing about La Vernia is that they always play a pretty easy pre-season schedule atleast for them they play some teams that arent really going to make them any better in district. As far as somerset goes if they had a shot in the play-offs last year was there chance they had a a huge line and they were very quick. They also had a great back field with Davis but he graduated and so did alot of the other guys. now Davis's brother is left and he is at reciever and I'm not sure that he is having a great year either. This year I feel that somerset is in a rebuilding year. To answer your question though Detmer has done a good job with that program and turn things around well. By the way I got to meet koy detmer at one of the somerset football games. I know not a big deal to some of yall but he was pretty cool and layed back. Go to talk about the super bowl with him and what his thoughts were on it. Just FYI

BulldogGrl64
10-16-2003, 12:09 PM
LaVernia and Somerset are the two teams every year that people fear coming up against because of their reputations from past seasons. Yes both teams are tough and strong teams, but as far as LaVernia making it far in the play-offs....I don't see that happening. They will make the playoffs, there is no doubt about that, but I see them falling short early.

therealbulldogs
10-16-2003, 01:46 PM
BulldogGrl64:
LaVernia and Somerset are the two teams every year that people fear coming up against because of their reputations from past seasons. Yes both teams are tough and strong teams, but as far as LaVernia making it far in the play-offs....I don't see that happening. They will make the playoffs, there is no doubt about that, but I see them falling short early.Why would someone fear Somerset?

BulldogGrl64
10-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Why wouldn't someone fear Somerset? They are a strong and powerful team who happens to be ranked #2 in the District with 4-2 for the Season and 2-0 in District. Last year they were 7-4 for the Season and 5-1 in District. Somerset is neck and neck with LaVernia every year as being a tough team to beat. So again I ask why wouldn't someone fear Somerset?

therealbulldogs
10-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Maybe the teams in that district would be scared. That district is also probably the 2nd or 3rd weakest in the state. When has Somerset ever been strong and powerful? Maybe West Campus who has the longest losing streak in the state out of every class and Jourdanton who has yet to win a game might fear Somerset.

bulldogvet85
10-16-2003, 04:17 PM
therealbulldogs:
Maybe the teams in that district would be scared. That district is also probably the 2nd or 3rd weakest in the state. When has Somerset ever been strong and powerful? Maybe West Campus who has the longest losing streak in the state out of every class and Jourdanton who has yet to win a game might fear Somerset.there was a time when that district was stronger than it was. And i guess you didnt see them play last year either. Sunny Detmer made a great impact on that team last year they had a huge offensive line and a great run game a decent pass game. this year they had lost alot of kids cuz of graduation and they didnt turn out they way I thought they would this year but that program had changed.

therealbulldogs
10-16-2003, 04:37 PM
You're right, I didn't get to see them last year and yes the district was a little stronger in the past. I played for Bandera when we were in that district. Somerset has had some decent teams in the past but has never been strong and powerful. I'm sure they are a decent team but they'll lose in the 1st round of the playoffs again.

bulldogvet85
10-16-2003, 09:30 PM
therealbulldogs:
You're right, I didn't get to see them last year and yes the district was a little stronger in the past. I played for Bandera when we were in that district. Somerset has had some decent teams in the past but has never been strong and powerful. I'm sure they are a decent team but they'll lose in the 1st round of the playoffs again.you did what year did you graduate? yeah I agree though they will get knocked out the first round marion plays them tomorrow and I think marion will get it done.

therealbulldogs
10-16-2003, 09:33 PM
I graduated from Bandera in '02. My jr. year I played TE and my sr. year I played OT and DL.

bulldogvet85
10-16-2003, 09:40 PM
therealbulldogs:
I graduated from Bandera in '02. My jr. year I played TE and my sr. year I played OT and DL.ok then I played against you cuz I graduated in may. What number were you? I was 64 and played DT I don't think I played any O-line at the time

therealbulldogs
10-16-2003, 09:46 PM
I wore #89 my junior year and #77 my senior year. I'm 6'4 and about 265 lbs.

bulldogvet85
10-16-2003, 09:56 PM
were you that nose guard? that dude was bada**. I think I remember I'm not sure you were on the right side right. I was on the right side of the D-line

therealbulldogs
10-16-2003, 10:02 PM
I was the right DT in a 3 or 4 technique. On offense I played the strong side tackle.

therealbulldogs
10-16-2003, 10:09 PM
As far as the NG I don't know what ever happened to him. He dropped out of school at the end of the fall semester and never graduated. It's sad because he had everything going for him but he had "better things" to do.

bulldogvet85
10-16-2003, 10:42 PM
therealbulldogs:
As far as the NG I don't know what ever happened to him. He dropped out of school at the end of the fall semester and never graduated. It's sad because he had everything going for him but he had "better things" to do.yeah I remember you now I went at you a couple of times. Damn that kid dropped out that sux. Did he have any chances of going anywhere and playing?

therealbulldogs
10-16-2003, 10:49 PM
I think that he had a really good chance at going somewhere and playing DE or even LB. He was about 6'1 225 lbs. and ran about a 4.7 or 4.8. and really strong.

bulldogvet85
10-16-2003, 10:52 PM
yeah I know he was player of the week a few times. he made like all district that year or I think it was defensive MVP I'm not sure he was pretty strong but not much stronger than me. :p

<small>[ October 16, 2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: bulldogvet85 ]</small>