PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum @ Cuero

Old Green
10-10-2010, 09:26 PM
This will be the 100th meeting between the two DeWitt County teams seperated by 16 miles. There will be a lot Relatives, Friends, and Co-Workers kids playing against each other. After all is said done the high fives and congratulations done, we're all friends.

No matter what, you can throw the records out the window. Both teams will play hard.

44INAROW
10-10-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree Old Green - throw the records out the window.. these two teams battle tough to the end.

GO MEAN GREEN :clap:

rojosgirl
10-11-2010, 08:15 AM
GO GOBBLERS! :clap:

Snotbubbles
10-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Which Yoakum team shows up is the question? Could go either way, or a Cuero blowout.

Is a nice rivalry game though. Wow, 100 already? Think I seen half of them.

YTBulldogs
10-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Read somewhere, maybe here---this is the oldest matchup between 2 schools in the state. 100 years old? Is this right? Or, is there another matchup older than 100 years?

Green Bling
10-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Read somewhere, maybe here---this is the oldest matchup between 2 schools in the state. 100 years old? Is this right? Or, is there another matchup older than 100 years?
Old Green or 44 correct me if I'm wrong on this, but this is the 100th meeting of the teams, but not a 100 year run. I understand that we met twice per season in some of the early days. Either way this is a GREAT rivalry that both teams look forward to every year. I'm sure the atmosphere will be charged and festive!! GOOOO, MEEEEEAN GREEEEEEN!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

YTBulldogs
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Regardless our record, we can right alot of season wrong here. I know the coaches will have Yoakum prepared. And, I sense the Dog's are ready to bite someone. Turnovers have killed us. This game, can't have a single one, and need to create a few.

rojosgirl
10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Seems like the turnover bug has run rampant this year -- high school, college and pros. You got to hang on to the ball!
Protect the rock and things go well. Oh, and

GO-MEAN-GREEN!

:clap:

pirate4state
10-11-2010, 01:57 PM
:eek: wow 100th meeting!!! Do yall have anything special planned??? Good luck Gobblers

44INAROW
10-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: wow 100th meeting!!! Do yall have anything special planned??? Good luck Gobblers

P4S there is a reception before the game for all past Gobblers and families.. and Green Bling - I think it's the 100th meeting but not 100 years in a row.. Reason I say that, the records start in 1911 - and that is 99 years....... Should be a great atmosphere for sure.. Lots of Cuero/Yoakum connections with Cuero folks working in Yoakum and vice-versa - as well as "mixed marriages" :)

EDIT - I found this on the www.cuerorecord.com site

Cuero High School and Yoakum High School will celebrate their 100th football contest on Friday, Oct. 15 at Gobbler Stadium. The District 28-3A game starts at 7:30 p.m.
In observance of the the historic event, there will be a reception for all ex-Gobbler and ex-Bulldog players and spouses at the CHS cafetorium and library from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. There will be bleachers at the game available for the more senior alumni returning.
Plans are underway to develop a traveling trophy to recognize the annual winner of this rivalry

pirate4state
10-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
P4S there is a reception before the game for all past Gobblers and families.. and Green Bling - I think it's the 100th meeting but not 100 years in a row.. Reason I say that, the records start in 1911 - and that is 99 years....... Should be a great atmosphere for sure.. Lots of Cuero/Yoakum connections with Cuero folks working in Yoakum and vice-versa - as well as "mixed marriages" :) Cool. I miss these type of games. I guess the closest thing we have to that these days is Mathis and/or Ingleside.

YTBulldogs
10-11-2010, 03:37 PM
44, that's a neat idea in regards to a traveling trophy to the winner of this rivalry.

If this trophy is being purchased from outside funds, please include me as being a donor towards this trophy. Great idea. After a 100'th meeting, they deserve something for the big win.

Go Dogs!!!!

Old Green
10-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
44, that's a neat idea in regards to a traveling trophy to the winner of this rivalry.

If this trophy is being purchased from outside funds, please include me as being a donor towards this trophy. Great idea. After a 100'th meeting, they deserve something for the big win.

Go Dogs!!!! I would like the Alumni from both schools put in a good word for a traveling trophy.

rojosgirl
10-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Maybe it can be discussed between the two at the reception Friday night in Cuero. :thinking:

underware
10-12-2010, 01:56 PM
The trophy idea is a really good one. Wish someone had started that back in the day. I am going to the Cuero - Yoakum game. Hope we can make it a decent one. Congrats to both for the long time rivalry, competition and friendship. :o)

bluecat
10-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea, wish it had been done in the mid 70"s. How is Trent Jackson?

SpursFan
10-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Please keep Trent Jackson in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow! Just saw on FB he is having surgery tomorrow! Wish you the best TRENT!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!

ApachePride
10-13-2010, 12:01 AM
The GobbleDog trophy? Bullgobbler trophy? The Leather Cup? The DeWitt County Cup?

AintNoSunshine
10-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Hey YTBulldog, where is your buddy txsportswriter at? Did he go back to school so that he could become the coach of the Bulldogs and lead them to the state championship with his son at quarterback? Sure havent heard much from him lately.

44INAROW
10-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by SpursFan
Please keep Trent Jackson in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow! Just saw on FB he is having surgery tomorrow! Wish you the best TRENT!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!
prayers for a successful surgery and complete recovery.

underware
10-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by SpursFan

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!

Only the best for the guy.....

YTBulldogs
10-13-2010, 09:41 AM
For sure best wishes to Trent. One of the best RB I've ever seen.

rojosgirl
10-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Prayers and best wishes for Trent today. Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

:)

txsportswriter
10-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by AintNoSunshine
Hey YTBulldog, where is your buddy txsportswriter at? Did he go back to school so that he could become the coach of the Bulldogs and lead them to the state championship with his son at quarterback? Sure havent heard much from him lately.

Funny!:)

txsportswriter
10-13-2010, 04:05 PM
The 100th meeting between Cuero and Yoakum is the longest such rivalry game in Class 3A, but not the longest in the state. The Sherman-Dension game is the longest in the state at like 111 meetings. The Longview-Marshall contest has also been played over 100 times.

rojosgirl
10-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Nice to know. That being said --

GO GOBBLERS!

:clap:

CueroDad08
10-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Dogs better come over ready to hit.............These Gobblers are fired up unlike I have seen all year.

headhunter
10-14-2010, 09:14 PM
I will call this "The Battle of the Claw and the Paw"

I have seen both teams this season multiple times.
If Cuero shows up with the intensity they have had from weeks 3 thru 5 I think we see a Gobbler victory. In Cuero, it is not if they have the talent, it's about how they use the talent and if the kid come ready to play and really take pride in their defense and making big hits.

If Yoakum is to win, we would have to see the Bulldogs play their best game yet, this team is still looking for answers to running a consistent offense. Yoakum can not turn the ball over and will have to sustain drives which will allow them to eat up some clock. If this happens, I think we may see a respectable and close game. Yoakum is always known to play the Gobblers tough.

AintNoSunshine
10-15-2010, 07:50 AM
I just don't see the dogs keeping this one close. They just don't have much of an offense this year, which happens from time to time. Even tho Cuero stud running back is out (which I hope he is doing well and everything went okay yesterday) I still think Cuero puts up a lot of points on the dogs. Im going to go with Cuero 42 Yoakum 7. I know when these two teams get together it is always a fight, but Yoakum just doesn't have it this year. Lost too many good seniors last year. But good luck to both teams!

Green Bling
10-15-2010, 10:40 AM
It's gonna be a great night in Gobblerland tonight!! These two teams are always up and ready for this meeting!! Can't wait for game time!!:D

rojosgirl
10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
:iagree:

Snotbubbles
10-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by AintNoSunshine
Yoakum just doesn't have it this year. [/B]

TO's has been the killer this year for Yoakum. They protect the rock here, they can win this one. Trust me, they remember last year's game at the Pound. And, to me---that was one of Cuero's best teams I've ever seen. This rivalry game, anything can happen.

Yoakum fan's, come early before the Cuero fan's take your seats.;)

CueroDad08
10-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
TO's has been the killer this year for Yoakum. They protect the rock here, they can win this one. Trust me, they remember last year's game at the Pound. And, to me---that was one of Cuero's best teams I've ever seen. This rivalry game, anything can happen.

Yoakum fan's, come early before the Cuero fan's take your seats.;)

CUERO CAN SAY THE SAME THING WITH THIS YEARS TEAM.
DONT TURN THE BALL OVER AND THIS GAME WILL NOT BE CLOSE.

rojosgirl
10-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Lasy year's game at the pound was very interesting. :confused:

Snotbubbles
10-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08

Dog's about to bite someone who is taking them lightly I believe. I could never predict a blowout in this rivalry CD. Bold type all day long bud, Yoakum is PREPARED to shock the home folks over there.:eek:

KingRob
10-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Sure do wish I could be there! Gonna stay up to listen to this one. It should be a goodern!

Survey says:

Cuero - 34
Yoakum - 17

LET'S GO CUERO!!!

Snotbubbles
10-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Let The Dogs Out!!!!!!

44INAROW
10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Sure do wish I could be there! Gonna stay up to listen to this one. It should be a goodern!

Survey says:

Cuero - 34
Yoakum - 17

LET'S GO CUERO!!!

hi Rob... be listening for a "shout out" from Joe and Grandpa..

KingRob
10-15-2010, 02:44 PM
How cool is that?!! I haven't been able to listen to the games that much due to my schedules being changed. A lot of folks were out sick. Well, guess who's sick now? ME! Oh well, at least I can stay up and listen to the MEAN GREEN play some football!

LET'S GO CUERO!!!

YTBulldogs
10-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Congrats Gobblers. Best wishes the rest of the way.

Snotbubbles
10-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad08

Hat's off Cuero. Thought them Dogs could make a game of it here.

Cuero Dad, that team you field in Cuero, YOU CAN TYPE IN CAPS ALL YOU WANT. Very impressive, and they appear in stride heading into the important part of the season.

CueroDad08
10-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
Hat's off Cuero. Thought them Dogs could make a game of it here.

Cuero Dad, that team you field in Cuero, YOU CAN TYPE IN CAPS ALL YOU WANT. Very impressive, and they appear in stride heading into the important part of the season.

Yes this has always been the part of the year when the Gobblers really start to peak. Let's keep the foot pressed all the way down now. Team looks like they are really starting to gell as they do this time of year as one unit.

Snotbubbles
10-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Start of the year, I had Cuero as a great team with Trent. A good team without him. That's pretty obvious I guess, when you lose a caliber back like TJ.

But, with a more balanced attack, the developement of your QB, awesome receivers---Cuero is filling in that TJ hole nicely, and becoming a great team again. D needs to get a nasty attitude.