PDA

View Full Version : Burnet-35 Marlin-6

bulldawg89
09-27-2003, 07:13 PM
The game that was suppose to detrmine it all came... and went. One key factor was that Shipley was double teamed...Wich led to Warner having the best game of the season so far. Everyone was expecting it to be Mcgee-Shipley all night so Shipley will break the two state records. Coach Shipley made it known that Burnets only goal tonight was to win the game. District is coming up, and then it will be time for record breaking.

Marlin had incredible speed and discipline, but having an inexperienced QB led to a "few" losses.
Red Richardson (#5) led Marlin all night though; the returning all-stater took the game up on his own, and respectively congradulated the team on their win

So to all you Marlin Bulldogs, good luck and we wish you a great season ahead!

3afan2K3
09-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Enough with the burnet-marlin score

Pudlugger
09-27-2003, 07:25 PM
3afan2K3:
Enough with the burnet-marlin scoreI second that emotion! :D

spaniard
09-27-2003, 07:26 PM
Pudlugger:

3afan2K3:
Enough with the burnet-marlin scoreI second that emotion! :D fair enough, it was a game, its over, time to move on to the next one.

Ranger Mom
09-27-2003, 09:03 PM
I'm just curious to know what the "attendance" was. Andrews/Greenwood was estimated to be around 8,000.

<small>[ September 27, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

jason
09-27-2003, 09:40 PM
Ranger Mom:
I'm just curious to know what the "attendance" was. Andrews/Greenwood was estimated to be around 8,000.i was there....i would guestimate between 8,500 - 9,500

3afan2K3
09-27-2003, 09:45 PM
jason:

Ranger Mom:
I'm just curious to know what the "attendance" was. Andrews/Greenwood was estimated to be around 8,000.i was there....i would guestimate between 8,500 - 9,500.
nobody knows ..............

<small>[ September 27, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

espn1
09-27-2003, 09:59 PM
3afan2K3:

jason:

Ranger Mom:
I'm just curious to know what the "attendance" was. Andrews/Greenwood was estimated to be around 8,000.i was there....i would guestimate between 8,500 - 9,500.
nobody knows ..............I know this. Burnet ran out of tickets.

3afan2K3
09-27-2003, 10:16 PM
They wouldn't just stop selling them, and if they did then i guess 10,000 people were disapointed cuz they couldnt get in

3afan
09-28-2003, 12:20 AM
good grief - the reporter estimated 8,000 - they're usually as accurate as anyone can be - and they're usually high 'cause it sounds better for their story ...... so, if burnet's stadium seats 6,500 (if i recall correctly) then the crowd was probably around 7,000 based on what people have said and based on seeing the game film (there was not that many people surrounding the field) ...... so there it is - 7,000 :D :D :D

<small>[ September 28, 2003, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

MKA
09-28-2003, 01:20 AM
bulldawg89:
The game that was suppose to detrmine it all came... and went. One key factor was that Shipley was double teamed...Wich led to Warner having the best game of the season so far. Everyone was expecting it to be Mcgee-Shipley all night so Shipley will break the two state records. Coach Shipley made it known that Burnets only goal tonight was to win the game. District is coming up, and then it will be time for record breaking.

Marlin had incredible speed and discipline, but having an inexperienced QB led to a "few" losses.
Red Richardson (#5) led Marlin all night though; the returning all-stater took the game up on his own, and respectively congradulated the team on their win

So to all you Marlin Bulldogs, good luck and we wish you a great season ahead!Great Speed yes but DISCIPLINE, what game were you watching? Marlin had man for man more talent than Burnet but they had no coaching, heart or discipline!! Wake up and face the truth people, if marlin had the coaching and heart that Burnet had they would be 4-0 but they don't! Good luck Burnet but don't use this game as a bench mark on how good you are.

3afan
09-28-2003, 07:26 AM
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh - there's that 'H' word again - guess that should become an official stat :D :D :D

Pudlugger
09-28-2003, 08:05 AM
MKA:

bulldawg89:

So to all you Marlin Bulldogs, good luck and we wish you a great season ahead!Great Speed yes but DISCIPLINE, what game were you watching? Marlin had man for man more talent than Burnet but they had no coaching, heart or discipline!! Wake up and face the truth people, if marlin had the coaching and heart that Burnet had they would be 4-0 but they don't! Good luck Burnet but don't use this game as a bench mark on how good you are.Last month before week zero I started a thread on which was more effective in motivating a team: Discipline or emotion. I have noticed that there is a continuim from highly emotional teams all the way across to very disciplined and methodical teams. Two teams that exemplify these opposites that I have watched play would be Marlin and Sealy. Marlin players appear to respond to a lot of motivational activities, like the group dancing on the center of the field before the National Anthem and high fiving celebrations after good hits etc. while Sealy just methodically grinds away against opponents keeping mistakes to a minimum. This reflects coaching philosophy. For Marlin it worked when La Grange met them for the big play-off re-match last year as they intercepted a pass and ran it in on the second play and just never lost momentum. However the next week they went in flat against Bellville and lost in 3 OTs in a game most people feel they should have won. Now Marlin is getting beat up by teams that are out of their league and are emotionally flat. Burnet sounds like the model team for discipline. They work hard on their individual assignments and game plan and just methodically and systematically dismantle the opposition. I think that this issue is an important one in football because it has to do with how a young man manages life's challenges. I for one, think a team should be weighted over towards the discipline side but not all the way. Let the players express themselves a little as long as it is not offensive or results in penalties or causes loss of focus, and get the job done consistantly. If you have cohesiveness in your team you will win more games, and I feel, in most cases, this is achieved more readily through discipline rather than emotion. La Grange has a large number of younger players this season who are right now developing this discipline and you can see it in their play. I think that is why it takes La Grange a couple of games to come together as a team and start winning decisively. Emotional teams can be explosive and if they get sparked they will run you over like Marlin did to Ennis and La Grange last year, but consistancy is a problem because what goes up also comes down , especially emotions. To beat a good team that has more talent, but relies on emotion, it is important to strike early and knock the crud out of them thereby deflating them, and then methodically put them away. Is that what happened in Burnet Friday night? Sounds like it to me. Just my thoughts, what do you think? :)

<small>[ September 28, 2003, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

29x281
09-28-2003, 09:12 AM
I would recommend Marlin discontinue the practice of gathering at the center of the field after they run through their sign.

1. It's trashy, and on an opponents field it's disrespectful.
2. It's a motivational tool for the other team.
3. It could be very dangerous if the other team decides to "protect" the center of their own field. The Marlin coaches allowed the players to stand there for probably 2 minutes, and it was only in the seconds before the Burnet run through that the Marlin players went to their sideline.

Were they trying to intimidate Burnet? That's pretty stupid.

Pudlugger
09-28-2003, 09:20 AM
29x281:
I would recommend Marlin discontinue the practice of gathering at the center of the field after they run through their sign.

1. It's trashy, and on an opponents field it's disrespectful.
2. It's a motivational tool for the other team.
3. It could be very dangerous if the other team decides to "protect" the center of their own field. The Marlin coaches allowed the players to stand there for probably 2 minutes, and it was only in the seconds before the Burnet run through that the Marlin players went to their sideline.

Were they trying to intimidate Burnet? That's pretty stupid.So they did that at Burnet too? They did that in the play-off game last year against La Grange but they went over close to the La Grange hash mark to gather up (I have video to prove this). I could not agree more, this should not happen (Yoakum did it too at La Grange this year and I was surprised Coach Crow would allow it). :mad:

BurnetBandRules
09-28-2003, 12:04 PM
TO EVERYONE. ABOUT THE BURNET STADIUM SEATING CAPACITY!!! It seats 7,700 people! I don't know where everyone is getting this info but that is from LAST YEAR. The school system put 1,000 more seat to the stands over the summer. I talked to the superintendent who was parked next to me and he said that the estimatin at 3rd quarter was almost 10,000 people. There, it isn't set instone that there were that many people but does it really matter? They are estimations, they don't determine how good a team is, it just shows the fan base.

3afan
09-28-2003, 12:28 PM
thanks for clarifying, and for adding that the superintendant's estimation was 10,000 when "unbiased" estimations (reporters in the press box) were 8,000 :D ... but it doesn't matter much anymore ... :D

<small>[ September 28, 2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

29x281
09-28-2003, 01:16 PM
Who told you it seats 7,700?

Chris Hart
09-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Well I have 5 season tickets. Me, My wife, 6 yr old daughter, 2 yr old son, and infant daughter. My oldest 2 sons were down from Saginaw for the weekend so the wife and I held the 2 yr old and infant. So the estimation would have to be 8002 or 10,002 to be accurate. Can't believe they overlooked my babies. A little accuracy on these estimates would be nice. :D :D :D

xlr8tor
09-28-2003, 01:45 PM
LOL, good one. Kinda like the Grand Canyon tour guide that stated, "these canyons are 5 million and 8 years old." One tourist asked, "How did you get the date pinned down to 5,000,008 years?" The guide said, "Well, it was 5 million years old when I started working here, and I have been here 8 years." Honestly though, what's the big deal about the attendance??? Couldn't we say 8 to 10 thousand, give or take a few hundred? Just my take.