PDA

View Full Version : Targeting

BaseballUmp
10-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I think its a worthless foul....
That is all

Yoe_09
10-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah I said the same thing last week when Baylor was playing Kansas. Usually when someone gets hit hard you will see that penalty.

LE Dad
10-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
I think its a worthless foul....
That is all I guess that is what the refs called against us last night...It was a superb hit to breakup a 3rd down pass and here comes the flag. It was the scond time this year it has happened.... If you are going to make calls like that just break out the flag belts or better yet play 2 hand touch.:doh:

Snotbubbles
10-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I think the coaches went to far with this rule. Let'em play coaches.

Old Tiger
10-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I think its a good rule it just gets called wrong...a lot of times I've seen it called when a receiver was trying to make the catch and the DB rocked him. What is a defensive back supposed to do let him catch the ball?

Snotbubbles
10-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I think its a good rule it just gets called wrong...a lot of times I've seen it called when a receiver was trying to make the catch and the DB rocked him. What is a defensive back supposed to do let him catch the ball?

No, I'd tell my DB's to break the pass up or tackle him if he catches it. Just don't use his helmet as a weapon, or pound him when it's clearly not caught.

Old Tiger
10-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
No, I'd tell my DB's to break the pass up or tackle him if he catches it. Just don't use his helmet as a weapon, or pound him when it's clearly not caught. A lot of times its a shoulder pad that catches them. I don't recall what game it was but the receiver made the catch took a step or two and lowered his head to take on a tackle and the defender rocked him and they called a targeting.

LE Dad
10-09-2010, 03:46 PM
No, I'd tell my DB's to break the pass up or tackle him if he catches it. Just don't use his helmet as a weapon, or pound him when it's clearly not caught. So DBs are supposed to arm tackle?lol... The 2 hits I saw were 2 good, hard hits 1st time WR tipped ball into air saftey came over and made perfect form tackle.... 2nd one last night CB grabs WR from behind saftey makes solid hit into guys chest... Both times it was facemask into chest perfect technique.

Snotbubbles
10-09-2010, 03:51 PM
You can't tackle like you could when I played. Coaches have dern sure changed the game the past 2 or 3 years. Guess if you can prevent head injuries/deaths and kid's in wheelchairs, it's all for the best. Rather give up those "snotbubble" impacts than sustain those other possible results to either the DB or WR.

Snotbubbles
10-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
So DBs are supposed to arm tackle?lol... The 2 hits I saw were 2 good, hard hits 1st time WR tipped ball into air saftey came over and made perfect form tackle.... 2nd one last night CB grabs WR from behind saftey makes solid hit into guys chest... Both times it was facemask into chest perfect technique.

They are now teaching to lead with the shoulder. We stuck our helmet under the chin when I played. So yes, arm tackles is what they are going to I believe. Shoulder tackles is still legal. For now anyways. Coaches might get that out of the game too. Guess they do want a 2 below style game.

YTBulldogs
10-09-2010, 04:02 PM
They are now teaching to lead with the shoulder. We stuck our helmet under the chin when I played. So yes, arm tackles is what they are going to I believe. Shoulder tackles is still legal. For now anyways. Coaches might get that out of the game too. Guess they do want a 2 below style game.

Awww, the good old days of busted chins. Those day's are gone. You must of played back when I did. 80's?

Yup, I did see a few practices lately, and they were not having them stick the helmet on the sternum area, then have helmet go up under chin, any longer. It's better having a stinger then a kid get paralized.

Coaches/NCAA/UIL are on a safety mission for sure. We are stressed that big time in our meetings/clinics.