PDA

View Full Version : long distance running workouts

beefy
01-15-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm looking for a weekly mile and two mile workout program for my distance runners. We were pretty successful with these runners last year and I honestly did not have a clue as to how to coach their development. Any help would be appreciated.

Phil C
01-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Beefy I am sure that you will get more qualified opinions on the daily workouts from those that are in the know more than me but I had a friend that got third place at State one year in the two mile run and he said what helped him a lot in endurance besides the practice running was also to run up and down the football stadium stands about 15 minutes a day. He said it gave him a big edge especially when he had to run where there were hills.

PPHSfan
01-15-2004, 12:38 PM
The only thing I know about distance running is that it makes your football players skinny. :D

Distance running is great, as long as you are not going to play defensive end. :p

Rabbit'93
01-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Lots of over-runs. If they run the two mile have them run more than that every other day until the season starts. Our coach used to take us five miles away from school and drop us off and have us run back. You need to build their stamina so that they'll be strong in the last 800m or so were everyone begins to drop off.

Ranger Mom
01-15-2004, 12:45 PM
My daughter did cross-country and long distance for 2 years in Jr. High. She gave it up this year, much to my dismay....but, I think the cross-country helped her more than anything in the end.

I have to agree, the stamina she built up having to run up hills and over all kinds of terrain helped her immensely when running her mile or mile and 1/2!!

beefy
01-15-2004, 02:50 PM
I am admitingly lacking knowledge of distance training. I have volunteered to help with the track team when we lost a coach. We have some super kids running the distance races, however, I really don't have any true blue work out plans for them. It's been great to broaden my exposure to track and field (more specifically the distance races). I have been coaching football and powerlifting for 12 years so this is a big change for me. Like I said, I've enjoyed the experience.

Wildcat81
01-15-2004, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by beefy:
<strong>I am admitingly lacking knowledge of distance training. I have volunteered to help with the track team when we lost a coach. We have some super kids running the distance races, however, I really don't have any true blue work out plans for them. It's been great to broaden my exposure to track and field (more specifically the distance races). I have been coaching football and powerlifting for 12 years so this is a big change for me. Like I said, I've enjoyed the experience.</strong>[/QUOTE
You don't want your kids running anything less than what thier event is.crosscountry one day, have them run thier event one day for time.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-15-2004, 10:10 PM
PPHSfan:
The only thing I know about distance running is that it makes your football players skinny. :D

Distance running is great, as long as you are not going to play defensive end. :p Good advice, but I have no intention of running more than 1 mile at one time...it is hard enough putting and keeping weight on as it is. :)

turbostud
01-17-2004, 10:06 AM
I'm looking for a weekly mile and two mile workout program for my distance runners. We were pretty successful with these runners last year and I honestly did not have a clue as to how to coach their development. Any help would be appreciated. For the beginning of track season have them run 3 to 4 mile runs on the road to build endurance 5 or 6 days a week. 2 a days are helpful in that you can have them run their distance runs in the morning or during the school atheletic period. After school you can take them to the track for a track workout. Toward the middle of the season cut down on the distance runs and start interval training on the track. EX 10-1/4 mile repeats with 2 minutes rest in between or change it up and run a 1/4, a 1/2,a 3/4, a mile and work your way back down. Toward the end of the season have them run more interval and speed work (1/4's, 300, 200, 100) with less distance.

next generation
01-17-2004, 10:22 AM
800m warm up, 400m sprints(for first lap/last lap), then a timed 800 run making them get below a certain time. Then a mile run that you have to get under a certain time.