PDA

View Full Version : University of Mississippi Changes Mascots

IrishTex
10-07-2010, 09:40 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/LewP/olemissmascots.jpg

Ol Miss used to be called the Rebels.

I guess that wasn't politcally correct in today's world, so ever since 2003, they have been without a mascot. That will change as of tomorrow.

One of the above mascots will become the official mascots of Ol Miss.

Left to right they are A Rebel Land Shark, A Rebel Black Bear, and something called a "Hotty Toddy".

These are not particularly thrilling choices to the Ole Miss student body. From Business Insider:

Keith Davis of Jackson, a 1979 Ole Miss graduate, says, "This needs to be killed. I can't imagine how embarrassing it will be if one of these creatures runs across the field."

Amazing how being all politically correct changes things huh?

Old Tiger
10-07-2010, 09:44 PM
The Land Shark one if the best of the 3....Hotty Toddy sounds gay as hell.

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Link?

The guy on the left looks stupid. The bear looks like he's running for office. The shark? bleh...and another suit! I think General Akbar was a better choice! :devil:

IrishTex
10-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Link?

The guy on the left looks stupid. The bear looks like he's running for office. The shark? bleh...and another suit! I think General Akbar was a better choice! :devil:

There is no link...I freelanced it..

:D

NastySlot
10-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
The Land Shark one if the best of the 3....Hotty Toddy sounds gay as hell.

Hotty Totty.........Ole Miss by Damn.

GreenMonster
10-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I liked the Peckerwood/Southern Cracker/Col. Sanders mascot of old. It was rather comical.

ivchris
10-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I'd leave it as Rebels......hell, the name is it's own statement.

Old&Crusty
10-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Next it'll be their 100+ year old flag that has to change.

t-bag31
10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Old Tiger
The Land Shark one if the best of the 3....Hotty Toddy sounds gay as hell. [/QUO

Dont talk XXXX if you dont know what it is!

HOTTY TODDY!!!

coach
10-08-2010, 10:41 AM
they are not changing the team name...they will still be called ole miss rebels. they just are changing the on field mascot name

HEMOTOXIC
10-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by coach
they are not changing the team name...they will still be called ole miss rebels. they just are changing the on field mascot name

Thanks for clarifying that!

coach
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Thanks for clarifying that!

lol is the a sarcastic post? from what iwas reading it sound like ppl thought they would be called ole miss hotty toddy or w/e it was

HEMOTOXIC
10-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by coach
lol is the a sarcastic post? from what iwas reading it sound like ppl thought they would be called ole miss hotty toddy or w/e it was

Yeah, I think so too. Personally, I think that it is all silly.

Emerson1
10-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Too bad it wasn't Admiral Ackbar

DDBooger
10-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Too bad it wasn't Admiral Ackbar It would have been awesome

d0tc0m
10-08-2010, 01:09 PM
I do not understand the world we live in. Why can they not keep the Rebel as their mascot. Anyone who is offended by that is an idiot.

NastySlot
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
I do not understand the world we live in. Why can they not keep the Rebel as their mascot. Anyone who is offended by that is an idiot.

Right...I hear you ...they have stopped playing "From Dixie with Love"

Ole Miss will rise again......

d0tc0m
10-08-2010, 01:17 PM
I say wave the flags and play Ol Dixie as loud as you can. It offends me that people get offended by that.

NastySlot
10-08-2010, 01:20 PM
like it or not the old south and confederacy were and are part of our country's history...........and the culture of the south was shaped by it but the people of the south aren't wanting to bring back the old ways...I would say the southern states have done pretty good for themselves and our country.

Keith7
10-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
like it or not the old south and confederacy were and are part of our country's history...........and the culture of the south was shaped by it but the people of the south aren't wanting to bring back the old ways...I would say the southern states have done pretty good for themselves and our country.

I'm guessing Germany should embrace the Nazis too because heck they are a part of their history

Keith7
10-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Yea who would be offended by having a pro-slave, African American hating white guy as a mascot?

Especially when more than half the team are African Americans
:doh:

d0tc0m
10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Well like i said. i'm offended that they're offended. do your history, the war wasn't about slavery, it was about states' rights. there's parts of the african-american culture that offends me, but God forbid i say that.

HEMOTOXIC
10-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Well like i said. i'm offended that they're offended. do your history, the war wasn't about slavery, it was about states' rights. there's parts of the african-american culture that offends me, but God forbid i say that.

You are an idiot! And how dare you use God in any part of what you have to say.

d0tc0m
10-08-2010, 02:22 PM
hahahahahahaha relax hemo, just stirring the pot with ol' keith there. i have no connection with ole miss, nor do i care about their mascot. as long as my HOGS beat houston nutt, that's all i care about. but i got the knee jerk reaction i was looking for.

d0tc0m
10-08-2010, 02:23 PM
but i see my point was proven. it's ok for half the group to be offended, but not the other half.

HEMOTOXIC
10-08-2010, 02:38 PM
First, d0tc0m, I do apologize for calling you an idiot. But, ideally, you shouldn't go around posting things like that on a public board.

As I have stated before, race and culture are not the same. There are many things that people of my race, other races, my culture and other cultures do that I do not agree with. But, I don't let it get to the point where it offends me. If I don't agree with something, I try to see the others point of view. But, I know, sometimes, things come out unintentionally.

As far as this Ole' Miss mascot deal, I can see where some may be offended and I do understand how it is a part of the history of the United States. But, until you have been judged simply by the color of your skin, your sexual orientation, your gender, handicaps, etc, you will never begin to understand how something may or may not offend someone.

Keith7
10-08-2010, 02:44 PM

:doh: :doh: :doh: wow