PDA

View Full Version : 3-0 and 406

Chris Hart
09-17-2002, 10:44 PM
Burnet is 3-0 and allowing 406 yds/gm. The wins will end if this isn't addressed soon.Is it just me, or is this just too much real estate to be allowing?

------------------
Big Green Dawg

spaniard
09-17-2002, 10:47 PM
i agree chris. we have a balanced offense, but i think its time to start working on some defensive "strategery" as dubya would put it.

eye of the tiger
09-17-2002, 10:56 PM
I hadnt realized that Burnet was giving up that much yardage. That may indeed cause a problem down the line. But I bet they figure it out.

keep_it_real
09-17-2002, 11:12 PM
Wow that says something about the offense if they are still winning. Whats up with the defense?

Swarm 51
09-18-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hart:
Burnet is 3-0 and allowing 406 yds/gm. The wins will end if this isn't addressed soon.Is it just me, or is this just too much real estate to be allowing?

Chris and Spaniard, hate to admit it, but have to agree that your Dawg's defense are giving up too many yards. Gatesville felt they could run on them and they did just that amassing about 400 yds. (Correct me if I am wrong about the yardage) Of course, we could not keep up with your offense on that particular night and must give all the credit to a superior Burnet offense. I am sure this is something your DC as well as Coach Shipley is very concerned about and work on each week. Spaniard, remember when you asked for information about Marlin? I pulled no punches when I replied that they are loaded with speed and talent. If their runners get to the outside, watch out. You have a great DC. There is no doubt he works constantly and spends sleepless nights hoping to come up with something to slow down the yardage being given up. I honestly feel Marlin will be a great test for the Burnet defense. May be wrong, but that is just this little grandmother's opinion. And one of which I am sure by now you can tell that loves high school football. By the way, am glad to see Ranger Mom and Football Gal posting on here and I am not the only female among all you guys.

BigRed01
09-18-2002, 03:27 AM
That is too much yardage for a championship team. Burnet has played some good teams, maybe that's why it is so high. Everybody on this board knows that Defense wins championships. Maybe a few personel changes are in order.

ATMO
09-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Chris, ease up! Burnet's got things under control. Yes, Gatesville did rush for about 300 yds, but most of that was in the second half when they were down 2+ scores. And didn't Burnet's defense shut out Reagan's offense? Shoemaker will gain a lot of yards on everybody they play. It's hard to cover 4 guys that run 10.2 100m. The bottom line is that Burnet is winning. They could have scheduled some weaker teams like some of the other teams did in the district, but what good does that do a team preparing for a run in December? It's not about stats, it's about wins. Do you think the folks at Highland Park are complaining about giving up 500 yds to Stephenville last week? Probably not. It Burnet were to play Bridgeport and give up 500 yds passing but still win, would it matter? The defense will be fine. Just sit on your hands and watch.

Chris Hart
09-18-2002, 01:46 PM
ATMO, I agree with the tough schedule analogy, and I know it will help down the road.I think you guys do an excellent job of coaching(I'm definately not Knocking the coaching), I personally think that we won the Shoemaker game on GREAT coaching.The fake field goal call, and the moving of Shipley to Safety are just a few of the great moves by the staff in that game.
I know that we have alot of kids back from last year's defense, but lost some meat and a real good(ferocious)linebacker.It just worries me about the playoffs(not now)when we run into a good team that can slow down our offense(Like Bellville last year), or say the offense has a few costly turnovers and we fall behind.Will this defense be strong enough to step it up and shut somebody down(like in Wimberley,and Round Rock)completely until the offense can find a groove.
I am a worry wart about that, but only because I have HUGE expectations for this team.(I know yall's goal is the same as mine, "IT")I am just still hurt by the way we were ripped in last year's playoff, and I don't want it to be close enough for a BUM call to ruin it for us this year.
This whole town is behind you guys 100% and will be til the end.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

[This message has been edited by Chris Hart (edited September 18, 2002).]

The Old One
09-18-2002, 02:41 PM
Chris,

Your so called "Faith" seems to be waivering! You are not the kind of fan I would want on my side! I am close to Coach Shipley, and to some of the coaches on his staff. You should be on here commending the efforts of your coaches. I know where Burnet came from...do you remember? Now they are a state contedner. Before the current regime Gatesville and Shoemaker would have torn throught Burnet. You claim to be a supporter. I challenge you to get on this website and support. Not get on here and start the sort of chain you have started here.

As a long time coach let me pass down some information to you...when two quality teams get together and play each other there are going to be some yards given up on both sides.

ATMO's analogy of the Highland Park / Stephenville matchup is a perfect one. Gatesville is also a state contender, and if Shoemaker were AAA they would be as well. Your team is proving themselves against the best in the state...while you are on this web site questioning the team and the staff.

Do you think any of your players from Burnet read this Chris? What are you doing to your state contending team when one of your players gets on here and reads this. You may be putting it someone's head that their coaches aren't getting it done. You think you will win the region when your kids start doubting your coaches? You won't.

Stop all the non-sense about the yards, the coaches, and the loss of one player that needed to go anyway. Enjoy the fact that you are 3-0 against arguably the toughest schedule in AAA football. Anyone would have given up yards against them.

Be the fan you say you are!

beefy
09-18-2002, 03:24 PM
amen!!!! old one. our defensive coordinator is as good as any i've ever seen. our kids are as tough as any around. if anyone wants to talk smack about the staff, come down to the office and talk it to our face. better yet, get your butt suited up and play against shoemaker. hey better yet, go cover #1 the honorable jesse jackson from shoemaker. no here's one better, come play scout team running back during inside hull. we're like anybody else. trying to do the best with what we got.

whygreen
09-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Why all the hatred beefy.

beefy
09-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Up all night with sick kid...leave me alone!

whygreen
09-18-2002, 03:44 PM
I'm just saying anyone who gets on and talks about wanting to fight ought to be ROM'ed.

beefy
09-18-2002, 03:49 PM
hey don't put words into my mouth. all i said is if someone wants to get on here and try to downplay the efforts and work of coaches, then they should have the guts to say it to their face. if you want me ROMed then so be it. you may be exactly the kind of person i'm talking about.

whygreen
09-18-2002, 03:51 PM
I just need directions to the field house.

PPHSfan
09-18-2002, 03:56 PM
You kids behave now..or I will have Eye put you in the corner. :-)

SintonFan_inAustin
09-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Defense wins. Not an offense that has to keep scoring. Chris is right, u better be worry about it, if your goal is to win it all.

sinton66
09-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Gee whiz Chris, I guess it doesn't pay to say "the emporer has no clothes" around Burnet fans. Chris is right friends! Offense will take you a long way, but defense wins championships. All of you "recents" coming on criticizing Chris are wrong about him. He is a diehard Burnet fan and supporter. You probably don't want my advice, but you're getting it anyway. LISTEN TO HIM. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

BigRed01
09-18-2002, 05:56 PM
I agree sinton66! Chris is a die hard fan of Burnet, and at least he has the guts to bring to light something that could potentially spoil a good season. We all have some weakness in our teams, but if we ignore it, it will definetly come back to haunt you in the end.

whygreen
09-18-2002, 06:14 PM
Hmmm. No response
[/B][/QUOTE]

beefy
09-18-2002, 06:19 PM
hey whygreen,
If you feel that you need to voice your opinion face to face by all means come on down. We will sit and visit for awhile. I would respect you much more if you did so. Burnet High School is not hard to find. However, you and everyone else need to understand that a coach that doesn't stand up for other coaches isn't worth a good pinch of goat poop. I'm sorry I didn't respond in a timely manner. I was busy trying to influence kids lives.....

The Old One
09-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Sinton 66 and others,

I have been watching this site for some time now. To this point Chris has been a good fan of the Burnet Bulldogs. This thread is, in my humble opinion, way too over critical. Chris himsef asks in his opening post if this is too much? He's not sure what to make of the fact that Burnet currently averages 396 yards per game. What if your Sinton Pirates had beaten Calallen and given up 600 yards? Is that an accomplishment or not? If you read this entire thread you will realize that this goes way behond someone who is just wondering what's going on with the defense. There are suggestions of strategy changes...that points to coaching. If Chris is a true fan he will show up on this site and correct himself. You cannot be a true fan and get on here and bash your coaches. This post also points personnell changes...that points to coaching. Chris, as a true fan, will have to trust that these coaches have the kids in the right place to help the team. It appears from the scores with the teams they have played that they have done that. This post also points to the loss of one linebacker who needed to go anyway. Chris, as a true Bulldog backer, would understand what that kid was doing to harm the success of that program. Chris Hart has every right to be critical of "HIS" Burnet Bulldogs. But I, along with anyone else who chooses to, has every right to display where Chris is coming up short in his "FAITH" of the coaching staff there.

sinton66
09-18-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by The Old One:
Sinton 66 and others,

I have been watching this site for some time now. To this point Chris has been a good fan of the Burnet Bulldogs. This thread is, in my humble opinion, way too over critical. Chris himsef asks in his opening post if this is too much? He's not sure what to make of the fact that Burnet currently averages 396 yards per game. What if your Sinton Pirates had beaten Calallen and given up 600 yards? Is that an accomplishment or not? If you read this entire thread you will realize that this goes way behond someone who is just wondering what's going on with the defense. There are suggestions of strategy changes...that points to coaching. If Chris is a true fan he will show up on this site and correct himself. You cannot be a true fan and get on here and bash your coaches. This post also points personnell changes...that points to coaching. Chris, as a true fan, will have to trust that these coaches have the kids in the right place to help the team. It appears from the scores with the teams they have played that they have done that. This post also points to the loss of one linebacker who needed to go anyway. Chris, as a true Bulldog backer, would understand what that kid was doing to harm the success of that program. Chris Hart has every right to be critical of "HIS" Burnet Bulldogs. But I, along with anyone else who chooses to, has every right to display where Chris is coming up short in his "FAITH" of the coaching staff there.
Well, I said you wouldn't want my advice.

Super_Fan
09-18-2002, 06:49 PM
To be successful in the post season their defence will need to step it up some, but other than that they are a very good team/program.

29x281
09-18-2002, 07:12 PM
statistics, damned statistics, and lies...

...or so the quote goes.

In my unexpert opinion the defense is not as weak as the stats indicate.

slpybear the bullfan
09-18-2002, 07:47 PM
This just kills me...

Chris is an all-around good guy as near as I can tell. He tries to comment on everyone he has info on and Roots his team on when he can.

He brings up a legitimate question about his favorite team and...

...a lot of folks bag on him. ???

Here is what cracks me up. Lots of folks love to say Bridgeport is a good team but without a better defense they are not a true contender. The Bulls average less than 300 a game. Now, here is Chris getting tagged for worrying about his home town favorite team giving up almost 400 a game.

Wow! Tough crowd!

slpybear

(yeah, yeah, I know. The homer in me just makes it hard to post without at least mentioning the Bulls once...)

whygreen
09-18-2002, 08:14 PM
bear,

What you say is partially true. I think the people on this post are upset that he brings this up as a weakness when, at this point in their season, you cannot say that. Bridgeport hasn't played anywere remotely close to the schedule that Burnet has. I think the point here is that when you beat teams like Gatesville and Shoemaker with the offenses that they have in place...you be happy that your good enough to win the game! Your gonna have to beat good teams in the playoffs...and your gonna give up some yards doing it. Let see where the bulldogs are in week 10. Hart can relax and continue to support the Dogs...don't worry about the stats...keep your eyes on the scoreboard!

Shotgun73
09-18-2002, 08:19 PM

Chris,
Do you think that the coaches at BHS are not aware of the amount of yardage that has been given up in the last two games? Do you honestly believe that it has not been addressed? The coaches are very much aware of what has happened and the steps necessary to make the Bulldogs a better team. This is the second or third time that you have addressed this issue this week. I can promise you that the kids will be as well prepared as any team in the state. I can also tell you that the defense that is on the field every Friday night is an excellent one. Let's not create problems by down playing the kids or the coaches. Both are totally committed to the success of the Bulldogs.

Chris Hart
09-18-2002, 09:44 PM
ATMO, I agree with the tough schedule analogy, and I know it will help down the road.I think you guys do an excellent job of coaching(I'm definately not Knocking the coaching), I personally think that we won the Shoemaker game on GREAT coaching.The fake field goal call, and the moving of Shipley to Safety are just a few of the great moves by the staff in that game.
I know that we have alot of kids back from last year's defense, but lost some meat and a real good(ferocious)linebacker.It just worries me about the playoffs(not now)when we run into a good team that can slow down our offense(Like Bellville last year), or say the offense has a few costly turnovers and we fall behind.Will this defense be strong enough to step it up and shut somebody down(like in Wimberley,and Round Rock)completely until the offense can find a groove.
I am a worry wart about that, but only because I have HUGE expectations for this team.(I know yall's goal is the same as mine, "IT")I am just still hurt by the way we were ripped in last year's playoff, and I don't want it to be close enough for a BUM call to ruin it for us this year.
This whole town is behind you guys 100% and will be til the end.

Man, I take a nap and go to church and come back to a bashing.To all of you that said I was bashing the coaches, read the post above.And whoever said I am implicating personell changes.What I said was the personell change the other night against Shoemaker was a great one for that game, do I think it should stay that way(NO).And about the linebacker, I didn't say we needed him, I said we lost a real good linebacker, and we did.

So if any of you want to question my loyalty to the coaching staff, or the team, you need to wake up.I haven't missed a game since the mid-80's and don't plan on starting now.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

Chris Hart
09-18-2002, 09:47 PM
PS, thank you out-of-towners that supported me.Ya'll have been watching me post for a long time now, and you know what I am about.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

spaniard
09-18-2002, 10:18 PM
hey chris, i got your back man, i dont really know you as a person, but from what i do know of you, you are a loyal, true, and killer fan of our city. we have all seen burnet go from the glory days of the early bone offense in the late 80's and early 90's, the decline of the bone in the late 90's and now the crazy spread offense. and if what you say is true that you have been going to every game for about 20 years, then you are a true fan of burnet football, and in my opinion the concern for our defenses yardage given up is a natural concern. im sure that all the coaches know about the yardage given up, you were just voicing your concern about it. i guess people dont realize that. oh well, anywhoo, back to what i was saying earlier, i got your back.

Chris Hart
09-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Thanks Spaniard, I agree it is a natural concern.Some of these guys need a little work on their reading comprehension also.It's all good though.Go Bulldogs!

spaniard
09-18-2002, 11:08 PM
hehe, good stuff. have you seen the bonfire lately? its gettin pretty big now. not sure how tall or how big around, all i know is its huge. gonna be a good one. i have to admit though, i am pretty jealous bc my senior class didnt get a bonfire, only a burning "B". that was a nice attempt at spirit, but still pretty stinkin lame if you ask my class and the class before mine.

Owen B
09-18-2002, 11:43 PM
It looks to me like Chris was complimentary to Burnet's coaching staff. I'd hate to see the roasting he'd get if he said something critical!

o'cowboy
09-19-2002, 08:28 AM
Way to go Chris!!!!!
I didn't take your comments like you where dogging out the coaches. But lets face it coaches are not gods (Some think they are) Coaches have a job and must be held accountable. When I am a work I am held accountable. My employer excpects results. Chris didn't dog no one, just had a concern and expressed it. (I sure wished our defence would tighten up Haha)

ATMO
09-19-2002, 08:41 AM
o'cowboy:

apparently part of your job accountability does not include spelling and grammar.....

Originally posted by o'cowboy:
Way to go Chris!!!!!
I didn't take your comments like you where dogging out the coaches. But lets face it coaches are not gods (Some think they are) Coaches have a job and must be held accountable. When I am a work I am held accountable. My employer excpects results. Chris didn't dog no one, just had a concern and expressed it. (I sure wished our defence would tighten up Haha)

NOZGRINDER
09-19-2002, 08:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

HEY CHRIS,

BACK IN NAM I WAS SITTING IN A BAR IN SAIGON, I SAW A SIGN ON THE WALL AND ASKED THE MAN BEHIND THE BAR WHAT IT SAID. HE SAID IT WAS AN OLD SAYING THAT HIS GREAT GRANDFATHER HAD TOLD HIM AS A YOUNG BOY. IT READ AS FOLLOWS:

"TREE THAT BENDS AND NOT BREAK, STILL PROVIDE SHADE, EVEN ON WINDY DAY"

KEEP PROVIDING SHADE BULLDOG "D"

SintonFan
09-19-2002, 09:56 AM
Ya'll have been watching me post for a long time now, and you know what I am about.

Yes, we know what you are about...
we know you're level-headed, we know you're honest, we KNOW you love your Burnet football. The point you brought up was an intelligent one.

One thing I have noticed is that you are one of the only people here that used you real name as an identity. That in itself can lead to open criticism. You got a pair, buddy!

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited September 19, 2002).]