PDA

View Full Version : Stress in Coaching

pancho villa
10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7233560.html

At least they get paid well.
HS coaches, coach, teach, and their duties assigned. For a lot less $ and the same stress.

Ernest T Bass
10-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa

the same stress.

Disagree with that. They dont have to worry about TAKS scores, IEPs, ARDs, SpEd, Accountability Ratings, etc...yet in alot of towns and districts, the expectations to win are the same, if not higher, and the people making the employment decisions are alot less knowledagble.

pancho villa
10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Disagree with that. They dont have to worry about TAKS scores, IEPs, ARDs, SpEd, Accountability Ratings, etc...yet in alot of towns and districts, the expectations to win are the same, if not higher, and the people making the employment decisions are alot less knowledagble.

I tried to condense it Ernest. I did not know you were going to pull out the colored folders!

NastySlot
10-06-2010, 10:25 AM

how about FOCUS....do you all have the FOCUS program students?

Ernest T Bass
10-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I tried to condense it Ernest. I did not know you were going to pull out the colored folders!

Been a rough year in that regard.

pancho villa
10-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Been a rough year in that regard.

75% of my students come with colored folders.

Ernest T Bass
10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Scared to do the math on mine. Gotta be more than that, though. This year has been unreal!

GreenMonster
10-06-2010, 10:49 AM
It's a growing epidemic. Our colored folder numbers climb every year and will continue to do so.

nobogey72
10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I get irritated with coach bashing. Most people would shudder at the thought of several thousand people watching them do their job everyday. Most people that sit in the stands and bash the coaches cant even eat their popcorn without fumbling it all over the place. And, what gets on my nerves the worst are the guys that might have played HS football and/or watch alot of football on TV and thus know more football than the coaches.

rholl
10-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Im not a coach but I heard a guy last night knocking on a jr. high coaching staff (7th graders)....his complaint seemed to be that they shuttle recvrs in 2 x2 with the play on every single play and how can a Qb get used to his best recvrs when they are only in for one play. O lord I didnt know where to start....should it have been with the fact that the jr high coaches probably didnt come up with that on their own....or how did he recommend they get the play in...or last but not least...they MIGHT throw it twice a game so how many reps are they getting anyway???

baseballcoach13
10-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Parents tend to forget that this is our job, and not just a summer rec league. I always tell parents that I will be happy to take their advice, but on Monday I will be with them at their job and they must take my advice on what to do.

When I was in Mississippi I had the district attorneys son on the baseball team. He told me after one game what he thought I should be doing. I made that same deal with him. His reply, "but you aren't an attorney. Youve never even been to law school. How can you tell me what needs to happen?"

All I said was "Exactly"

Old Tiger
10-06-2010, 11:56 AM

At least they get paid well.
HS coaches, coach, teach, and their duties assigned. For a lot less $ and the same stress. I don't know about you pancho but them there stand around coaches ought to not be stressed.

baseballcoach13
10-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I don't know about you pancho but them there stand around coaches ought to not be stressed.

Please dont feed the bears.

Ernest T Bass
10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't know about you pancho but them there stand around coaches ought to not be stressed.

Gotta be some stress involved with constantly watering dirt and at the same time hoping nothing ever grows there. :confused:

Old Tiger
10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Gotta be some stress involved with constantly watering dirt and at the same time hoping nothing ever grows there. :confused: All about the PH balance?

Bullaholic
10-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Gotta be some stress involved with constantly watering dirt and at the same time hoping nothing ever grows there. :confused:

I don't think Pancho uses a water hose, Ernest....:D

baseballcoach13
10-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Pancho told me yesterday he hasn't had a hose in his hand in a few years.

Ernest T Bass
10-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by baseballcoach13
Pancho told me yesterday he hasn't had a hose in his hand in a few years.

I hear he holds several different hoses a week.

Old Tiger
10-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Heard pancho has been using this hose for a while though

http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/hose-de-82306194.gif

garciap77
10-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I get irritated with coach bashing. Most people would shudder at the thought of several thousand people watching them do their job everyday. Most people that sit in the stands and bash the coaches cant even eat their popcorn without fumbling it all over the place. And, what gets on my nerves the worst are the guys that might have played HS football and/or watch alot of football on TV and thus know more football than the coaches.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey! How about the ones that sit behind the computer and just bash in general? :D :D :D

PPSTATEBOUND
10-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by baseballcoach13
Parents tend to forget that this is our job, and not just a summer rec league. I always tell parents that I will be happy to take their advice, but on Monday I will be with them at their job and they must take my advice on what to do.

When I was in Mississippi I had the district attorneys son on the baseball team. He told me after one game what he thought I should be doing. I made that same deal with him. His reply, "but you aren't an attorney. Youve never even been to law school. How can you tell me what needs to happen?"

All I said was "Exactly"

LOL....... well you dont have to be a Proctologist to know ones fart box stinks.:eek:

pancho villa
10-06-2010, 01:12 PM

http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/hose-de-82306194.gif

That is hitting below the belt! Now you standaround guys go water some dirt!

Mojado
10-06-2010, 01:14 PM
[i}Hey! How about the ones that sit behind the computer and just bash in general? :D :D :D [/B]

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

baseballcoach13
10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
That is hitting below the belt! Now you standaround guys go water some dirt!

I got the sprinklers going as we speak.

Txbroadcaster
10-06-2010, 04:23 PM

But they do have to worry about NCAA rules and keeping up with their kids 24/7 with NO one else watching the kids and I know you could say the same about some kids in HS but in college it is 100% no parental supervision.

LE Dad
10-06-2010, 04:49 PM

http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/hose-de-82306194.gif It is a colored hose to match the colored folders.:p :cool:

OLE'BULL
10-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72

I love this post :D I actually laughed out loud when I read about the popcorn. Well done sir...

zebrablue2
10-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by OLE'BULL
I love this post :D I actually laughed out loud when I read about the popcorn. Well done sir...

:iagree:

2 krunk
10-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I agree with some of these bashing comments.....................but you got to admit, bashing pancho is just toooo much fun. i see it as a hobby. pancho; hope the oc has been doing his home work. jays can be a tough bird!