PDA

View Full Version : Wilkerson @ LG

36phseal
10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
If it weren't for the Wilkerson kid, the Bellville - LG game might have gone the other way. I have not seen a more dominant athlete that does as much as that kid can do. It has to be frustrating to see that the only way LG can get this player the ball is on a reverse or throwing it deep. LG came out with their QB under center for the first time in years and ran the inside zone play. Why wasn't Wilkerson the I-Back? LG ran a reverse pass and Wilkerson threw the ball on a dime. Why isn't he playing QB? When LG would line him up at receiver, it was as the inside receiver where he could easily be double teamed. At least Bellville's coach has an offensive scheme. LG depended on jump balls to Wilkerson, trick plays, and two turnovers inside their 10 to beat Bellville. I'm surprised no one has made this observation before now. Wilkerson only touched the ball twice in the Sealy game. This kid out to have his hands on the ball nearly every play....he's that type of athlete.

hookandladder
10-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 36phseal
If it weren't for the Wilkerson kid, the Bellville - LG game might have gone the other way. I have not seen a more dominant athlete that does as much as that kid can do. It has to be frustrating to see that the only way LG can get this player the ball is on a reverse or throwing it deep. LG came out with their QB under center for the first time in years and ran the inside zone play. Why wasn't Wilkerson the I-Back? LG ran a reverse pass and Wilkerson threw the ball on a dime. Why isn't he playing QB? When LG would line him up at receiver, it was as the inside receiver where he could easily be double teamed. At least Bellville's coach has an offensive scheme. LG depended on jump balls to Wilkerson, trick plays, and two turnovers inside their 10 to beat Bellville. I'm surprised no one has made this observation before now. Wilkerson only touched the ball twice in the Sealy game. This kid out to have his hands on the ball nearly every play....he's that type of athlete.

Brandon is a very good athlete and could very well be the QB on this team however I think the coaches feel he is better suited at WR, where he will play at the next level. He plays at both WR spots, the 74 yard TD was from the outside slot. Also he has never played running back as far as I know, this must have been the only game you have seen LG play this year because Brandon has gotten the ball in other ways also. It is really not frustrating to watch us play but I am sure it is frustrating to be a Bellville fan this year at 1-5.

Old Tiger
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
A Bellville fan sticking around when they have a losing record? Interesting and way to be a good message board fan!

gameface
10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
We are just getting the o-engine started! Our Sophomore QB is earning his keep(1185 yds passing this season with 9 TD's). Last week's game revealed how flat we can be. So, we have the tire's aired up and will be ready for rival Giddings. Wilk will shine... check the stats! Last week Wilkerson caught 5 passes for 173 yds.-avg. of 34 yds. per catch-not bad for a flat night! Oh, he also had 2 TD's to boot. Leps defense looked very solid against Brahma's-lots of hard hits. PS-I was very impressed with Bellville's defensive stunts-bravo! Leps are bringing the heat to the new G-town plastic pasture. LEPS have gameface on!:cool:

TRENCHES06
10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Its a shame he doesn't have any offers yet...it's not because of athletic talent though..

voicteofLeps
10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
If it weren't for the Wilkerson kid, the Bellville - LG game might have gone the other way. I have not seen a more dominant athlete that does as much as that kid can do. It has to be frustrating to see that the only way LG can get this player the ball is on a reverse or throwing it deep. LG came out with their QB under center for the first time in years and ran the inside zone play. Why wasn't Wilkerson the I-Back? LG ran a reverse pass and Wilkerson threw the ball on a dime. Why isn't he playing QB? When LG would line him up at receiver, it was as the inside receiver where he could easily be double teamed. At least Bellville's coach has an offensive scheme. LG depended on jump balls to Wilkerson, trick plays, and two turnovers inside their 10 to beat Bellville. I'm surprised no one has made this observation before now. Wilkerson only touched the ball twice in the Sealy game. This kid out to have his hands on the ball nearly every play....he's that type of athlete. yeah he is an amazing athlete but brandon doesn't win or lose the game for us. it starts at the o-line and Qb if the o-line does'nt block the Qb can't throw. so brandon is'nt the team. just an amazing athlete.

tlc84
10-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Its a shame he doesn't have any offers yet...it's not because of athletic talent though.. WOW I am surprised to hear this and I have seen this kid live also. What is the issue here?? I was really impressed with this kid and figured with his size, speed, and hands he would be on many radars.

hookandladder
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
He is a great talent and hopefully he will get his chance to shine at the next level however as stated earlier one player does not make a team, it takes everyone to come together and gell at the right time. District is the time to come together.

Pudlugger
10-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Its a shame he doesn't have any offers yet...it's not because of athletic talent though..

What? I can't believe this. He's one of the top high school receivers at any level in Texas.

Daddy D 11
10-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Come on y'all. Obviously what Trenches is saying is that he's dumber than dirt.

Pudlugger
10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't buy that. He has started since 2008 and not once has he been ineligible to play after the 6 week marker. I really take offense to this entire thread. This is a young man with great talents and if he is not getting attention from the recruiters it reflects badly on them. Shame on you.:mad:

voicteofLeps
10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Come on y'all. Obviously what Trenches is saying is that he's dumber than dirt. are you kidding me? he an all A student. i dont think he's ever made a C so please let me know when you know what your talking about thanks!

36phseal
10-05-2010, 11:38 PM
If I had known that this thread would have turned into a negative about Wilkerson, I would not have done it. My intention was to give him all the credit he is due. He is a remarkable athlete and from the friends I have that know him speak very highly of him as a young man and student. I apologize if it came across as anything else.

Yes, he lit Bellville up. We won't be the only team he does that to. My point wasn't to say that he was the team...but to say that he is "By far" one of the most talented in the area. In my opinion, I think LG would benefit more by having him touch the ball more than what he is doing. Is it true that he only had two catches against Sealy? If that's the case, then my point is proven. LG has 3 wins against teams with losing records. If they are to compete against winning teams, I think their coach will have to find ways of getting him the ball besides reverses and throwing it up for grabs.

You have to admit that it has had to cross your mind LG. With #5 at receiver (who made some tremendous catches himself) along with the talented RBs I saw....aren't you the least bit curious at what that offense would look like with Wilkerson taking the snaps? Maybe I'm totally wrong....but from what I witnessed Friday night, that kid can do just about anything you ask him to do.

I'm a fan of all student athletes and wish him the best. He has earned all that comes to him.

Daddy D 11
10-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by voicteofLeps
are you kidding me? he an all A student. i dont think he's ever made a C so please let me know when you know what your talking about thanks!

Jesus, you must be mentally retarded. I said "obviously what trenches is saying". NOT what I am saying or what I think. Judging solely from what he said, I made the assumption that HE was making the assumption that there is other reasons. There's no other reasons besides his talent that would keep him off a college roster except either grades or character issues.

hookandladder
10-06-2010, 06:32 AM
If I had known that this thread would have turned into a negative about Wilkerson, I would not have done it. My intention was to give him all the credit he is due. He is a remarkable athlete and from the friends I have that know him speak very highly of him as a young man and student. I apologize if it came across as anything else.

Yes, he lit Bellville up. We won't be the only team he does that to. My point wasn't to say that he was the team...but to say that he is "By far" one of the most talented in the area. In my opinion, I think LG would benefit more by having him touch the ball more than what he is doing. Is it true that he only had two catches against Sealy? If that's the case, then my point is proven. LG has 3 wins against teams with losing records. If they are to compete against winning teams, I think their coach will have to find ways of getting him the ball besides reverses and throwing it up for grabs.

You have to admit that it has had to cross your mind LG. With #5 at receiver (who made some tremendous catches himself) along with the talented RBs I saw....aren't you the least bit curious at what that offense would look like with Wilkerson taking the snaps? Maybe I'm totally wrong....but from what I witnessed Friday night, that kid can do just about anything you ask him to do.

I'm a fan of all student athletes and wish him the best. He has earned all that comes to him.

He returns punts , kickoffs and is our punter , I think our coach's are trying to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. Also I would assume you will see him playing more defense in District games . After reading your first post about him being in the slot instead of outside , that is interesting because last year he was outside only and many fans and so called knowledgeable people could not understand why he was not in the slot last year. Against Sealy he was outside most of the night and Sealy put their safety who is 6'5" on top of their corner to double him and their pass rush killed us, so just goes to show every armchair coach has his opinion including mind but does not neccessarily work. You saw one game and I am sure LG was not interested in showing Giddings anything more then what was needed to beat Bellville, I am sure we will see different formation for Brandon from here on out. Brandon is a good kid with great talent , he has the ability to make everyone else around him raise their playing level. In our District just like last year, there are 5 teams that have the talent to make the playoffs, so it will be a dog fight every Friday night. Leps need to win the turnover battle against Gidding and punch it in every time.

Pudlugger
10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
He returns punts , kickoffs and is our punter , I think our coach's are trying to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. Also I would assume you will see him playing more defense in District games . After reading your first post about him being in the slot instead of outside , that is interesting because last year he was outside only and many fans and so called knowledgeable people could not understand why he was not in the slot last year. Against Sealy he was outside most of the night and Sealy put their safety who is 6'5" on top of their corner to double him and their pass rush killed us, so just goes to show every armchair coach has his opinion including mind but does not neccessarily work. You saw one game and I am sure LG was not interested in showing Giddings anything more then what was needed to beat Bellville, I am sure we will see different formation for Brandon from here on out. Brandon is a good kid with great talent , he has the ability to make everyone else around him raise their playing level. In our District just like last year, there are 5 teams that have the talent to make the playoffs, so it will be a dog fight every Friday night. Leps need to win the turnover battle against Gidding and punch it in every time.

:clap: :ditto:

gameface
10-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Well said hook. Brandon is a natural and frankly in the top three of LG all-time best receivers-like Miles Moss and Billy Dunk-both like Brandon had incredible athletic talent coupled with soft hands. He is a very adaptable player and seems to excel at the many positions he plays. It is time to ramp up the focus and intensity as we open up for district play in Giddings. As always, it's an emotional battle for all and LG does have the ability to fulful the task at hand. LEPS by 17. LG has gameface on Daddy D11. Grades come out today-I'm sure it's high marks!:cool:

TRENCHES06
10-06-2010, 08:35 AM
#9 is a very bright and football smart kid.
Being in LaGrange is tough because class rank is being looked at nowadays and LGHS is stocked full of bright and motivated kids.

Being in 3A and somewhat outside of major media sources doesn't help.

Don't worry though, I know for sure that A&M knows about him...

FbCoachB40
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I have seen Brandon play, and he has probably the BEST hands I have ever seen. Go early to a game and watch him play catch one hand at a time.

To answer the QB question...If Walker had stayed, Wilkerson would be the QB, but in the slot-t.

To answer the slot question...Brandon plays all over the field, and did play slot just as much as Wide out against Sealy. The issue in that game was the pass rush.

As for Brandon and D1 recruiting...The only thing that might keep D1 from calling would be the explosion factor. When Wilkerson opens up and runs...he is fast. However, that D1 explosion does not seem to be there on film at least. (He does not look fast on film, but no one catches him) D1 schools are funny about that.

It would be interesting to see what a college would clock him in the 40. On the field, he only looks like a 4.7

TRENCHES06
10-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40

To answer the QB question...If Walker had stayed, Wilkerson would be the QB, but in the slot-t.

Nothing could be further from the truth....

FbCoachB40
10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Nothing could be further from the truth....

Really??

I heard it from his mouth, but that was in Dec. '09

FbCoachB40
10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Maybe he was joking or trying to start his own rumor...who knows??

gameface
10-06-2010, 12:34 PM
LG @ Giddings this Friday, Oct. 8th @ 7:30pm. Come see rusty hooves on plastic pasture under a pile of purple! Oh, we'll see if Wilkerson is vanguard WR or QB!? I've got a hunch G-town will be looking at his heels as he crosses the goal line throughout the night. Leopards by 17. Leps have gameface on.:cool:

TRENCHES06
10-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
Really??

I heard it from his mouth, but that was in Dec. '09

In Jan '10, shotgun with some option was gonna be the fall offense

FbCoachB40
10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I stand corrected. It is not the first time I have been wrong...MAN, #2 hurts though!!

GiddingsFan
10-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by gameface
LG @ Giddings this Friday, Oct. 8th @ 7:30pm. Come see rusty hooves on plastic pasture under a pile of purple! Oh, we'll see if Wilkerson is vanguard WR or QB!? I've got a hunch G-town will be looking at his heels as he crosses the goal line throughout the night. Leopards by 17. Leps have gameface on.:cool:

funny.

Pudlugger
10-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Let's agree this thread is exhausted. If you want to comment on this game got to it's thread. Wilkerson and the rest of the Leps are ready.:mad: