PDA

View Full Version : Copy and paste (Split from AP poll thread)

DaHop72
10-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Here is The Associated Press high school poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, records, points based on 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, and the team's ranking in last week's poll:

Class 5A
School Total Points Prv
1. Euless Trinity (24) (6-0) 249 1
2. Katy (1) (5-0) 224 2
3. Round Rock Stony Point (6-0) 189 3
4. Allen (5-0) 168 4
5. Katy Cinco Ranch (5-0) 135 5
6. The Woodlands (5-0) 119 6
7. Lufkin (6-0) 103 7
8. Coppell (5-0) 74 8
9. Beaumont West Brook (4-1) 37 9
10. DeSoto (4-1) 33 10
Others receiving votes: 11, Copperas Cove 20. 12, Abilene Cooper 7. 13, Galena Park North Shore 6. 14, Klein Collins 5. 15, Longview 2. 15, Abilene 2. 17, Port Arthur Memorial 1. 17, SA Madison 1.

Class 4A
School Total Points Prv
1. Aledo (24) (5-0) 249 1
2. Brenham (5-0) 209 2
3. Lake Travis (4-1) 197 3
4. Denton Ryan (5-0) 176 4
5. Dallas Highland Park (5-0) 125 5
6. Friendswood (6-0) 105 6
7. Cedar Park (1) (6-0) 93 8
8. Kerrville Tivy (5-1) 84 7
9. Hewitt Midway (5-0) 62 9
10. Tyler (4-1) 55 10
Others receiving votes: 11, Gregory-Portland 7. 12, Amarillo Caprock 6. 13, Killeen 4. 14, Hutto 2. 15, Cedar Park Vista Ridge 1.

Class 3A
School Total Points Prv
1. Brownwood (25) (6-0) 250 1
2. Celina (6-0) 213 2
3. Wimberley (5-0) 186 3
4. Argyle (5-0) 171 4
5. Kirbyville (6-0) 162 5
6. Sealy (5-1) 102 7
7. Lucas Lovejoy (4-1) 100 6
8. Henderson (5-0) 95 8
9. Caldwell (5-0) 30
10. Monahans (6-0) 25
Others receiving votes: 11, Kennedale 11. 12, Alvarado 6. 13, Brookshire Royal 5. 13, Dalhart 5. 13, Tyler Chapel Hill 5. 13, West Orange-Stark 5. 17, Dallas Madison 1. 17, Bridgeport 1. 17, Snyder 1. 17, SA Houston 1.

Class 2A
School Total Points Prv
1. Refugio (15) (5-0) 234 1
2. Tatum (8) (5-0) 217 2
3. Godley (1) (6-0) 178 3
4. Cameron Yoe (6-0) 163 4
5. Lexington (1) (6-0) 162 5
6. Daingerfield (4-1) 140 6
7. New London West Rusk (4-1) 69 8
8. Edna (5-0) 53 9
9. Muleshoe (4-1) 51 7
10. Sonora (5-0) 32 10
Others receiving votes: 11, Littlefield 16. 12, Rogers 13. 13, Teague 9. 14, Poth 7. 15, Malakoff 6. 15, Grandview 6. 17, Linden-Kildare 5. 18, Karnes City 4. 18, Newton 4. 20, Lone Oak 3. 21, Wall 2. 22, Lago Vista 1.

Class 1A
School Total Points Prv
1. Canadian (23) (6-0) 247 1
2. Albany (6-0) 207 2
3. New Deal (6-0) 198 3
4. Springlake-Earth (2) (6-0) 171 4
5. Ganado (5-0) 134 6
6. Falls City (5-1) 102 7
7. Alto (4-1) 78 9
8. Kerens (4-1) 63 10
9. Stamford (6-0) 46
10. Goldthwaite (4-2) 27 5
Others receiving votes: 11, Mart 23. 12, Mason 16. 13, Clarendon 14. 13, Evadale 14. 15, Burton 7. 15, Cayuga 7. 17, Archer City 6. 18, Stratford 4. 18, Plains 4. 20, Windthorst 3. 21, Munday 2. 22, La Villa 1. 22, Garrison 1. :thinking: :thinking: SURELY this wasn't copy and pasted!!:doh: :doh:

BaseballUmp
10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:thinking: :thinking: SURELY this wasn't copy and pasted!!:doh: :doh:
:nerd:

44INAROW
10-04-2010, 02:07 PM
YOU BEAT ME TO IT HOPS :eek: :D :D :D

Keith7
10-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Its one thing to copy and paste articles done by a specific writer and stealing the credit from him and it's another thing to copy and paste fair use items.. Clearly people of the downlow don't know the difference..

If I were the 3adownlow, I would study up on that stuff because it's only a matter of time before law suits start coming down napster style..

:doh:

DaHop72
10-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Its one thing to copy and paste articles done by a specific writer and stealing the credit from him and it's another thing to copy and paste fair use items.. Clearly people of the downlow don't know the difference..

If I were the 3adownlow, I would study up on that stuff because it's only a matter of time before law suits start coming down napster style..

:doh: :thinking: :thinking: So, no specific writer did this AP poll so it's okay to do the copy and paste. Um kay:nerd:

44INAROW
10-04-2010, 02:36 PM

so posting a story with a link is stealing??? I guess I need to read the rules better. I guess I clearly don't know them :hand:

Keith7
10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
:thinking: :thinking: So, no specific writer did this AP poll so it's okay to do the copy and paste. Um kay:nerd:

Wow just wow... Polls are considered fair use and can be used in whatever fashion a person wants..

The stories that people copy and paste on here are copyrighted by whatever news agency the person stole them from.. Putting a little link at the bottom still means you stole it.. :doh:

You can get around this however by simply putting the link and not copy and pasting anything.. That way everyone wins..

BaseballUmp
10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
so posting a story with a link is stealing??? I guess I need to read the rules better. I guess I clearly don't know them :hand:
You better or you might get benched!!!

Keith7
10-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

Yes it is big time stealing.. Study your copyright laws.. This is why 99% of message boards don't allow copy and pasting

BaseballUmp
10-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Wow just wow... Polls are considered fair use and can be used in whatever fashion a person wants..

The stories that people copy and paste on here are copyrighted by whatever news agency the person stole them from.. Putting a little link at the bottom still means you stole it.. :doh:

You can get around this however by simply putting the link and not copy and pasting anything.. That way everyone wins..
Or have a few ppl like me that hit the link like 5 times so these writers can get there hits haha

Keith7
10-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Or have a few ppl like me that hit the link like 5 times so these writers can get there hits haha

1. I know you're being a smartass.. Good job on that..

2. Those websites only track unique traffic so you can click all you want but you only count once

Txbroadcaster
10-04-2010, 02:44 PM

AP has few to no fair use items..they sale their product..so your stealing from them if your posting this without a link

Keith7
10-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
AP has few to no fair use items..they sale their product..so your stealing from them if your posting this without a link

Not true.. Polls are always fair use.. If I were to copy and paste one of their stories that's stealing

In fact ap would prolly be happy I copy and pasted their polls because it shows people think of them as the authority

Keith7
10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
For example, every week the Dallas Morning News published the USA today top 25. The DMN isn't affiliated with the USA Today in any way nor do they pay for their services but can run their poll because it is fair use

DaHop72
10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Not true.. Polls are always fair use.. If I were to copy and paste one of their stories that's stealing

In fact ap would prolly be happy I copy and pasted their polls because it shows people think of them as the authority What Is Fair Use?
Copyright Basics
Many teachers have heard the term
“Fair Use” and take that to mean they
can use items for educational purpose.
In truth the “Fair Use” doctrine was
created to allow the use of copyrighted
works for criticism and commentary,
parody, news reporting, research and
scholarship, and classroom instruction.
However, the guiding idea behind Fair
Use is that by using the work one is not
diverting monetary income from the
creator.
Four primary guidelines can be used
to determine whether one is operating
fairly under the Fair Use doctrine.
1. The purpose and character of the
intended use.
2. The nature of the copyrighted work.
3. The amount and substantiality of the
portion used in relation to the copyrighted
work as a whole.
4. The effect of the use upon the potential
market for or value of the copyrighted
work.

waterboy
10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
:nerd: What if you have a static IP address? Would that show up as more than one hit on their website if the IP address changed? Just curious...:confused:

BaseballUmp
10-04-2010, 03:40 PM
1. I know you're being a smartass.. Good job on that..

2. Those websites only track unique traffic so you can click all you want but you only count once

1. I think I have mentioned this once before that I have done this previously...not being a smartass but thanks for trying

2. I wasn't aware of that

Keith7
10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
What Is Fair Use?
Copyright Basics
Many teachers have heard the term
“Fair Use” and take that to mean they
can use items for educational purpose.
In truth the “Fair Use” doctrine was
created to allow the use of copyrighted
works for criticism and commentary,
parody, news reporting, research and
scholarship, and classroom instruction.
However, the guiding idea behind Fair
Use is that by using the work one is not
diverting monetary income from the
creator.
Four primary guidelines can be used
to determine whether one is operating
fairly under the Fair Use doctrine.
1. The purpose and character of the
intended use.
2. The nature of the copyrighted work.
3. The amount and substantiality of the
portion used in relation to the copyrighted
work as a whole.
4. The effect of the use upon the potential
market for or value of the copyrighted
work.

good job.. you just proved me right!! :clap: :clap:

LE Dad
10-04-2010, 04:53 PM
good job.. you just proved me right!! :clap: :clap: Sorry, I just don't see how. If anything that seems to disprove your point.:nerd:

Keith7
10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Sorry, I just don't see how. If anything that seems to disprove your point.:nerd:

:doh: :doh: :doh:

sinton66
10-04-2010, 05:49 PM

So, you're a lawyer now? :rolleyes: You obviously have no clue how it works. :hand:

LE Dad
10-04-2010, 06:15 PM
:doh: :doh: :doh: So, I guess that's your answer? OK cause it states that articles may be used for criticism and commentary purposes as long as it doesn't monetarily harm the writer... (cut and paste of subscription material etc.) The items I see are on the internet for public consumption without fee so the writer is not being harmed monetarily.

I guess this will get a reply of:doh: :doh: :doh:
That still won't help me see where that proved your point.:thinking:

Keith7
10-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
So, I guess that's your answer? OK cause it states that articles may be used for criticism and commentary purposes as long as it doesn't monetarily harm the writer... (cut and paste of subscription material etc.) The items I see are on the internet for public consumption without fee so the writer is not being harmed monetarily.

I guess this will get a reply of:doh: :doh: :doh:
That still won't help me see where that proved your point.:thinking:

It does monetarily harm the writer because he doesn't get credit for the work he is paid to do. You are literally stealing copyrighted material and posting it on another site to draw views.. that is stealing.

it's no different then copying your favorite c.d. to your computer, making a website, then posting them on there for people to download..

You can't post those songs and create a comment section and claim fair use.. that's not how it works.

In an age when people are being laid off by the truck load from newspapers, you would think that something as simple as posting a link instead of stealing an entire story wouldn't be a big deal to people. But appearently to the 3adownlow that is asking way too much.

I have a feeling it will take a series of law suits (not nnecessarily to this site) before the rules makers on this board really wake up. I've brought this to the attention to mods and board owners numerous times but always get greeted by either four letter words or laughter.. Don't worry, I'll get the last laugh.

BTW, copy and pasting articles breaks all four of the guidelines that he posted thats why I thought you were being sarcastic by saying it proved me wrong.. But I now see how slow you guys really are..

wow :doh:

BaseballUmp
10-04-2010, 08:18 PM
http://www.hcnonline.com/our_newspaper/Policy/We welcome links to our service. You are free to establish a hypertext link to this site so long as the link does not state or imply any sponsorship of your site by us. No Framing. Without our prior written permission, you may not frame, or in-line link, any of the content of these websites, or incorporate into another website or other service any of our intellectual property. (http://www.hcnonline.com/our_newspaper/policy/)

What does this mean? Again not trying to be a smartass

LH Panther Mom
10-04-2010, 08:27 PM

http://www.answers.com/topic/framing-world-wide-web :nerd: :nerd:

Keith7
10-04-2010, 08:29 PM
http://www.hcnonline.com/our_newspaper/Policy/We welcome links to our service. You are free to establish a hypertext link to this site so long as the link does not state or imply any sponsorship of your site by us. No Framing. Without our prior written permission, you may not frame, or in-line link, any of the content of these websites, or incorporate into another website or other service any of our intellectual property. (http://www.hcnonline.com/our_newspaper/policy/)

It means you can print off or e-mail up to five copies of articles from Houston Community Newspapers.

BaseballUmp
10-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
http://www.answers.com/topic/framing-world-wide-web :nerd: :nerd:

Haha so does this mean no more Rick Roll's? Cuz it says for "unfair gain"... and its unfair to gain a sense of joy when you Rick Roll others haha...sorry kinda stretching on that one

LH Panther Mom
10-04-2010, 08:32 PM
It means you can print off or e-mail up to five copies of articles from Houston Community Newspapers.
That's so much more simple than the mess I found! :D

BaseballUmp
10-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That's so much more simple than the mess I found! :D
Yea, well I understood about the up to 5 times thing, just wasn't sure about the linking to other sites and how in which ways it was legal and which it was not.

Keith7
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Yea, well I understood about the up to 5 times thing, just wasn't sure about the linking to other sites and how in which ways it was legal and which it was not.

I wouldn't worry too much about it... any potential law suits would be aimed at a website much larger than this one (and not the users) by a news corporation much larger than the local papers commonly copy and pasted on this website.

Really, I'm over this whole bit and would rather move past it. Pro-copy and paste or not, I'll leave the issue alone from now on..

LE Dad
10-04-2010, 08:52 PM
It does monetarily harm the writer because he doesn't get credit for the work he is paid to do. You are literally stealing copyrighted material and posting it on another site to draw views.. that is stealing.

it's no different then copying your favorite c.d. to your computer, making a website, then posting them on there for people to download..

You can't post those songs and create a comment section and claim fair use.. that's not how it works.

In an age when people are being laid off by the truck load from newspapers, you would think that something as simple as posting a link instead of stealing an entire story wouldn't be a big deal to people. But appearently to the 3adownlow that is asking way too much.

I have a feeling it will take a series of law suits (not nnecessarily to this site) before the rules makers on this board really wake up. I've brought this to the attention to mods and board owners numerous times but always get greeted by either four letter words or laughter.. Don't worry, I'll get the last laugh.

BTW, copy and pasting articles breaks all four of the guidelines that he posted thats why I thought you were being sarcastic by saying it proved me wrong.. But I now see how slow you guys really are..

wow :doh: First... If the work is put up on a site that does not require a subscription or otherwise charge for its content then no one will lose money if the material is utilized elsewhere, nowhere in those guidelines does it discuss being deprived of credit only money.

Second... Recording artist charge for their work. If they put their work up on a free site (and yes it does happen occasionally) then you can download it for free and even establish links to that site...and even portions of their songs can be used as long as it is not for profit.

Third... I still do not see how it is violating any of those 4 "guidelines" unless you are c/p the whole article. Most of the c/p I see on here is just a small portion with a link... I see no problem with that.:thinking:

sinton66
10-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Okay, the intent behind rule #9 was to prevent the copying and pasting of copyrighted material. If you see the word "copyrighted" on any article, this rule applies. We have been quite lax in enforcement of this one, but that is going to change.

The wording has been ammended to read:

9). DO NOT Copy and Paste Premium Content From Other sources in an Open Forum. (2 points)

If the content is premium on another source it's premium for a reason, it is the copyright content of the author and publisher. If posted on an open forum this can expose 3ADL to potential litigation. In all cases, if you want to discuss copyrighted content please post a link to the content. If you copy and paste content, it may be removed and you may be banned without warning at the mod's or Admin's discretion. You can paraphrase or summarize the points of the content in your own words, but you cannot copy and paste copyrighted material.