PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Pass Interference

bwdlionfan
10-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Two questions:

1. I've noticed more offensive pass interference calls this year (in NFL/College) than I have noticed in years past. Is it just me or does it seem that way to you too?

2. I got to thinking about how the penalty is marked off. Do you think offensive pass interference should be a 10 yard penalty and replay of down (as it is now), or do you think it should just be ruled an incomplete pass and a loss of down?

Snotbubbles
10-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Two questions:

1. I've noticed more offensive pass interference calls this year (in NFL/College) than I have noticed in years past. Is it just me or does it seem that way to you too?

2. I got to thinking about how the penalty is marked off. Do you think offensive pass interference should be a 10 yard penalty and replay of down (as it is now), or do you think it should just be ruled an incomplete pass and a loss of down?

OPI is a 15 yard penalty.

bwdlionfan
10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
In HS/college, it's a spot foul if foul happened less than 15 yards downfield, and if foul happened further than 15 yards downfield, it's a 15 yard mark off from previous spot. Not sure anyone uses a 10 yard mark off.

I'm watching the Miami-New England game.... Miami just had offensive pass interference on about a 20ish yard reception. Ref said the mark off was 10 yards from the previous line of scrimmage.

Snotbubbles
10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
That's the NFL, they have their own language and it sure messes up those watching HS/college ball don't it.

bwdlionfan
10-04-2010, 10:00 PM
There are some rules in each I like. I wish the NFL would use the 1 foot in bounds rule for receptions like college, but I wish college and maybe even high school would use the rule that you have to be touched to be considered down. I can see why they don't for safety, but I still like the rule.

ss27
10-04-2010, 10:16 PM
NFL and NCAA rules are quite different. Thankfully, Texas High Schools play by NCAA rules and not Federated Rules. That may change in a year or so. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Emerson1
10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Should be a penalty. If the CB is in position to intercept and the WR purposely interferes they should be punished more then if it was just a normal incompletion.

PPHSfan
10-04-2010, 10:29 PM
This penalty should be re-named the "Michael Irvin"

coach
10-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

lol

Old Tiger
10-05-2010, 12:41 AM
It should be 15 yard penalty plus loss of down IMO

GrTigers6
10-05-2010, 06:12 AM
I agree that it should be a penalty plus loss of down. However on the other side of the ball I wish that high school would adopt the spot foul for defensive PI because if I was a corner i would interfere everytime i was beat cause a 15 yard penalty is better than a 60 yard completion. And really it should be 15 from the spot, Just my opinion :thinking:

TexMike
10-05-2010, 06:17 AM
You would think defenders would do that, give up 15 over 60, but time and time again, and not only on the Texas HS field, you see defenders let the receiver make the big play. Maybe they are secretly hoping he will not be able to make the catch but unless it was uncatchable anyway, they usually make it.

3afan
10-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

you mean "Hall Of Famer Michael Irvin" :thumbsup:

slpybear the bullfan
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
You would think defenders would do that, give up 15 over 60, but time and time again, and not only on the Texas HS field, you see defenders let the receiver make the big play. Maybe they are secretly hoping he will not be able to make the catch but unless it was uncatchable anyway, they usually make it.

On the other hand... when you get beat as a defender, you are not always in position to even touch the receiver, much less interfere.

I like the 15 yard and first down enforcement on DI. I always thought that the spot foul for DI is a BIG assumption that the Receiver would catch the ball. And is way to much of a game changer.