PDA

View Full Version : Barry Sanders Jr. highlights

turbostud
10-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Link (http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Barry-Sanders-Jr-lands-spotlight-with-highlight?urn=highschool-274408)

hollywood
10-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Ran across this and couldn't resist posting. You thought Shipley had some moves and vision on the field, wow, this kids name says it all. Hope Texas gives him the red carpet.

Story (http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Barry-Sanders-Jr-lands-spotlight-with-highlight?urn=highschool-274408)

ivchris
10-05-2010, 08:08 AM
If Mac Brown lets this kid get away, he should be shot. Or worse, kicked out of Texas.
After watching the Longhorns the last 2 weeks, all I can say is they are in desperate need of a running back.

buff4ever
10-05-2010, 08:18 AM
when you got it, you got it, that kid got it

waterboy
10-05-2010, 08:26 AM
I think Texas already has some capable running backs, but it would be nice to get somebody like Barry Sanders, Jr. I think the Longhorns' running game woes falls on the O-line coach and the Offensive Coordinator more than on the players. I think the linemen are fully capable of opening holes in the running game, they're just not being taught the blocking schemes needed for success. The running lanes are not there for consistency no matter who the RB is, in my opinion.

nobogey72
10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
He probably couldn't even start for Brownwood.:D Would definitely be a good back up, or special teams player though.:D

Ernest T Bass
10-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I think Texas already has some capable running backs, but it would be nice to get somebody like Barry Sanders, Jr. I think the Longhorns' running game woes falls on the O-line coach and the Offensive Coordinator more than on the players. I think the linemen are fully capable of opening holes in the running game, they're just not being taught the blocking schemes needed for success. The running lanes are not there for consistency no matter who the RB is, in my opinion.

It's what happens when you change offensive philosophies, while playing with kids you've recruited for your former philosophy. Texas has very capable coaches, just gonna take some time for the kids to gel with the new philosophy.

hollywood
10-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by ivchris
If Mac Brown lets this kid get away, he should be shot. Or worse, kicked out of Texas.
After watching the Longhorns the last 2 weeks, all I can say is they are in desperate need of a running back.

They do have some good backs, but not great. With Malcom Brown committed, this will help greatly. And to think that Barry Sanders Jr. is interested in Texas, just imagine those 2 in the back field together. Wow. Not the Texas teams we have been used to seeing over the last 6-8 years. Then with McCoy and Shipley at QB and WR... National Championship contender... no doubt.

hollywood
10-05-2010, 09:37 AM

True, UT has capable backs, but they ain't great like this kid. Sanders has power, speed, vision, and great genetics! You don't have to have a great OL with him back there. You know the saying, "A great OL makes a good RB look great"... not with this kid. It's more like, "A great RB makes a good OL look great".

CueroDad08
10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
He will be at OSU just like his dad

NastySlot
10-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
He will be at OSU just like his dad

IDK....oklahoma buddies tell me that isn't a sure thing.

Matthew328
10-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
It's what happens when you change offensive philosophies, while playing with kids you've recruited for your former philosophy. Texas has very capable coaches, just gonna take some time for the kids to gel with the new philosophy.

this...Texas has Malcolm Brown and will probably get Johnathan Gray...they'll be ok

icu812
10-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Barry Sanders Jr. and Van's D.Santos were both on the sideline at the OSU/A&M game. I don't see how he could not go to OSU but I don't think its a for sure thing.

hollywood
10-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
IDK....oklahoma buddies tell me that isn't a sure thing.

Yep, he was sporting a Longhorn cap at the UT/OU game last Saturday. Just a matter of if Mack gives his blessing. He also stated he's always liked Texas, as in UT. Lesson to the interviews on the link from the first post.;)

hollywood
10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
this...Texas has Malcolm Brown and will probably get Johnathan Gray...they'll be ok

Brown, yes. Gray, unsure about. Sanders Jr. is twice the back Gray is.

jason
10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
They do have some good backs, but not great. With Malcom Brown committed, this will help greatly. And to think that Barry Sanders Jr. is interested in Texas, just imagine those 2 in the back field together. Wow. Not the Texas teams we have been used to seeing over the last 6-8 years. Then with McCoy and Shipley at QB and WR... National Championship contender... no doubt. mccoy will never start at texas...

Matthew328
10-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Brown, yes. Gray, unsure about. Sanders Jr. is twice the back Gray is.

Tap the break on that...I like Sanders but its a stretch to say he's that much better than Gray right now..

waterboy
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
You're right. The recruiting of years past doesn't match what their philosophy has changed to, and that explains some of the woes. The only thing that kept the rushing game, or lack thereof, acceptable in the past was that the QBs were more than able to make up the yards on the ground with their mobility -- taking pressure off the running backs. The QBs of the past were more dual threat than Gilbert is this year, which makes the rushing game more of a glaring weakness. They will gel together sooner or later. I just hope it's sooner than later.

hollywood
10-05-2010, 12:29 PM
You're right. The recruiting of years past doesn't match what their philosophy has changed to, and that explains some of the woes. The only thing that kept the rushing game, or lack thereof, acceptable in the past was that the QBs were more than able to make up the yards on the ground with their mobility -- taking pressure off the running backs. The QBs of the past were more dual threat than Gilbert is this year, which makes the rushing game more of a glaring weakness. They will gel together sooner or later. I just hope it's sooner than later.

Very good observation. I agree! Young, McCoy were both able to avoid pressure with their mobility and accurate passing in the pocket and on the run. Gilbert is a Pro Style pocket passer. Not what Texas' offense is designed to run. Pressure is on the RB's and shorter higher percentage passing plays.

hollywood
10-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by jason
mccoy will never start at texas...

Don't hold your breath on that. And, never say never. He is the #2 QB right now and look to see him getting some playing time. Very mobile and a play maker. Not sure about this year, but next is a high probability.

NastySlot
10-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by jason
mccoy will never start at texas...

a lot people believed that about colt....esp with Snead there.

Emerson1
10-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Don't hold your breath on that. And, never say never. He is the #2 QB right now and look to see him getting some playing time. Very mobile and a play maker. Not sure about this year, but next is a high probability.
#2 because they see Wood as the future after Gilbert and will likely end up with a redshirt this year.

jason
10-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
a lot people believed that about colt....esp with Snead there. saw snead playing golf on sunday...he sucks....

we were right behind him on the course and i found an ole miss ball....used it the rest of the round - went -1 with it for 3 holes lol....

hollywood
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Tap the break on that...I like Sanders but its a stretch to say he's that much better than Gray right now..

Don't get me wrong, Gray is a really good back. Both are Jr's in HS so at this point, IMO, Sanders is a more well rounded back. Great hands, speed, vision, explosive, great feet, superb balance. What Gray is lacking is the power Sanders has with all the above. Gray is powerful, just not at the level Sanders is. I've seen Gray go down way too easily.

Matthew328
10-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Let's also take into consideration the level of talent each player goes against....Sanders is playing small school ball in Oklahoma..

Ernest T Bass
10-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Actually, Sanders is playing at the same school Wes Welker played at.

hollywood
10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
School is about the size of Brownwood. I would say medium size. But, it's private. So, it would be like Jonathan Gray playing for a 3A school in Region 4. :D

NastySlot
10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
last read in the okc paper was sanders narrowed his choices to osu, ucla, alabama and fsu.................and think it was today that i read that........my days all run together the older i get.

hollywood
10-05-2010, 01:08 PM
That's because Texas hasn't offered yet.

"Mack Brown, I think he's a great coach. I've heard some good things about university, heard some good things about Austin," Sanders said. "I know Malcolm Brown. I got a chance to spend some time with him this summer. He committed to Texas. I'll be seeing him at the Army Bowl. I'll be down there for the combine in January. I'll get to talk to him about it a little bit, get the pros and cons. Texas is somebody that I've been telling people for a long time that I have some interest. We'll see if they look at me." [...] -Barry Sanders Jr.

NastySlot
10-05-2010, 01:15 PM
That's because Texas hasn't offered yet.

they only offer to those who have strong interest in texas......he's going to have drop his interest in those schools...if texas is going to offer.

defense51
10-05-2010, 03:14 PM
WOW!!! This kid is awesome!

hollywood
10-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Seems to be very intelligent as well. He is showing strong interest in Texas!:thumbsup:

:1popcorn:

hollywood
10-05-2010, 03:57 PM
He'll be one of the top 5 RB's in the country his senior year, if not #1.

DDBooger
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM
He's playing about 45 minutes south of me. I printed out a schedule. I may go catch a game.

BreckTxLonghorn
10-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
#2 because they see Wood as the future after Gilbert and will likely end up with a redshirt this year.

This.

McCoy slightly outperformed Wood in camp this year, but coaches see higher potential in Wood, and will redshirt him to use it as a learning season.

RoughNeck2011
10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
what a BEAST.