PDA

View Full Version : Newton will win Div. II state

Old Cardinal
10-24-2001, 10:22 AM
Having looked over the Division II candidates for State Championship, except for Forney ending up in Division II, there is nothing but substandard teams. Newton will simply prevail in Div. II. All the hosses Gatesville, Sinton, Bridge City, Sweeny, Zapata, Wylie, Lake Worth, Everman and 5 or 6 others will play in the Division I post season. Its interesting, having checked out the sentiments of the pollisters, I found that they mostly back Division II schools and their polls keep proping them up. I watched Bridge City dominate a little Diboll team 6-1 in touchdowns in a preseason scrimmage and began to check around the state and that was happening everywhere that Division I was scrimmaging Division II-the polls never waivered in proping up weaker Division II schools over the Division I stronger schools! Its time to separate the two as best can be done, into Div. I and Div II polling. Watch Newton dominate Division II in the playoff!

eye of the tiger
10-24-2001, 10:37 AM
Old Card this post is going to cause some action. I think it is the substandard phrasing thats going to do it. Im pretty sure you have thick skin so hang in there and turn off your fan cause I bet there is going to be some stuff hitting it soon.

lugnut
10-24-2001, 10:44 AM
So is there any sense in concluding the season then??? Maybe we should all just drop to our knees and concede.

Alvaradobacker
10-24-2001, 10:46 AM
Lake Worth will be d2. They will be a force in the playoffs.

lugnut
10-24-2001, 10:58 AM
That's true...Lake Worth, Commerce, Atlanta, just to name a few. I particularly have no preference, but Mr. Cardinal, you'd better watch those guarantees...you just paint yourself in a corner with them. Because if Newton doesn't win it all, you're gonna have a host of people on this board all ready to make a fool out of you...be careful!!!!!!

Specklebelly
10-24-2001, 11:42 AM
I totally diagree with that statement about D2. I feel its very competitive, especially region #3. You will have Rice Cons, Sealy, Newton, China Spring, and Cameron who are all capable of making a long run. I agree Newton has the talent to do it, I personally think it will be Rice and Newton in the quarters and the winner of that should win it all. You saying they wont have any competition is very wrong though.

Backwoods
10-24-2001, 12:09 PM
Well Old Card. You finally got me to register. Just want to know your shoe size as you seem to put your foot in your mouth pretty often. I may have an old pair that'll fit. Remember, it ain't over 'till the Fat Lady sings, and she may not have a BC accent. Old Grads and Little League parents can act a lot alike. Have a great day and a successful Friday Night.

TheSage
10-24-2001, 01:50 PM
"Watch Newton dominate Division II in the playoff!"? I didn't know D2 only had 1 round. Maybe I'm not educated enough to consider this amazing logic from old cardinal. I guess I'll look for a bowling board to read and post on.

abicooper
10-24-2001, 02:17 PM
Do not forget about some of the other Region 1 teams. I know Sweetwater, Ballinger, Midland Greenwood and Lake Worth will all be there when the playoffs start. Look for Lake Worth and Ballinger to meet in the quarterfinals. I believe that either one of these teams have a realistic shot at the D2 title. Ballinger may lose to Wylie, however I believe that you can not overlook them. Best of luck to all the schools when the playoffs start.

Old Cardinal
10-24-2001, 04:54 PM
To: "Eye of the Tiger" you are right, substandard was not the right word to use....My good friend Glenn Pearson was once over the UIL and he told me that they had made a study from data for ten years- and 85% of the games played in ANY Division were won by the largest enrollment teams. Its just not fair to lump big schools and little schools in 3A statewide. To rate little schools and big schools in one poll is not right either. Some small schools may be doing an exceptional job while some big school is just a little above average per enrollment figures. But by the number of boys to choose from, they can dominate the small school nearly every time. On the other hand, its not fair for polls to rate small schools above big schools that could beat them every time. We should all send a letter to the UIL to make two distinct 3A Divisions strictly by enrollment and cut out this enormous enrollment spread........I just read that Van Harris of the Harris Poll listed the Newton/Bridge City brawl, Nov. 2 as "TEXAS Game of the Week, for Week #9". This game will match Championship talent since both will be playing relatively injury free.

eye of the tiger
10-24-2001, 05:43 PM
Old Card Not a bad idea about spitting the polls. Might be an administrative nightmare but probably can be done. Seems like I remember a few years ago the UIL was toying with a super 5A or maybe even a 6A. If they did that some evening out might occur in the lower classifications as well. But Ill get on the band wagon. I can write a letter to the UIL and with my wifes help(she has a PhD in English)I can make a reasonably intelligent argument. Worth a try. All they can do is say no and we already have a no, so there is nothing to lose.
I probably would have made Commerce v Forney game of the week(no bias there at all http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif Good luck to your Cards

Old Cardinal
10-24-2001, 09:31 PM
Commerce vs Forney ought to be a hum-dinger of a ballgame-any chance its being played on Saturday night?

BigTwanky
10-25-2001, 04:17 PM
Well, Old Cardinal you must speak for yourself, Its wierd because your not from Newton but we are flattered by your compliment...but sometimes the truth hurts and i am not saying that we will win state or even make it to the finals, because there are many of 3a D.II football teams out there that are just as we are, but Dont you think that the "WILL" in your quote was a little strong??

Old Cardinal
10-25-2001, 04:45 PM
To: Big Twanky- Your right "will" is a wrong word I should have said "has an excellent opportunity" to win State Div II. Big T., if you remember after BC defeated you last year some folks were saying ya'll were washed up for the year. I stuck my neck out and predicted that your team would go far in postseason Div II, which happened. I thought that Lake Worth would configure to play Div. I; however both LW and Forney looks like will end up in your Division. Both are good programs with good Coaching. Best of Luck in you post season efforts.

eye of the tiger
10-25-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
Commerce vs Forney ought to be a hum-dinger of a ballgame-any chance its being played on Saturday night?
Old Card I wish the Tigers would play some Saturday games also. Dating back to Coach Lineweavers days the Tigers have tried to avoid Saturday games like the Cowboys avoid blue jerseys. Never found out why other than he thougt it might mess with routine. Might not be that way now. Next year will be Coach Cron's first year at making the schedule so you never can tell.