PDA

View Full Version : Girl thrown off cheerleading team for refusing to cheer for player who assaulted her

IrishTex
10-03-2010, 12:34 PM
From Out of Bounds (http://outofbounds.nbcsports.com/2010/10/so-heres-the-story-a.html.php)

http://outofbounds.nbcsports.com/cheerleaders.jpg

BullsFan
10-03-2010, 04:51 PM
This may be the only time in my life I ever say it, but I hope she finds one of those lawyers who likes to sue for a kabillion dollars on high profile cases and sues the school for punitive damages....and gets it. I don't care what anyone says, that is absolutely disgusting and the principal AND school board AND UIL should all be ashamed of themselves.

lulu
10-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
This may be the only time in my life I ever say it, but I hope she finds one of those lawyers who likes to sue for a kabillion dollars on high profile cases and sues the school for punitive damages....and gets it. I don't care what anyone says, that is absolutely disgusting and the principal AND school board AND UIL should all be ashamed of themselves. Any truth to this Silsbee folks?

Bruce
10-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I did some searching and found this.
http://www.kfdm.com/articles/case-34544-lawsuit-jury.html. Thanks!

Emerson1
10-05-2010, 08:32 PM
"A girl at Silsbee High School in Texas was thrown off the cheerleading squad when she refused to cheer for a basketball player whom she had accused of raping her at an off-campus party. "

Did I miss somewhere that says he was convicted?

"Bolton and another athlete allegedly assaulted H.S. while partying at a classmate's home on Oct. 19, 2008."

She was probably drunk, wanted it, then regretted it the next day.

lulu
10-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
"A girl at Silsbee High School in Texas was thrown off the cheerleading squad when she refused to cheer for a basketball player whom she had accused of raping her at an off-campus party. "

"Bolton and another athlete allegedly assaulted H.S. while partying at a classmate's home on Oct. 19, 2008."

She was probably drunk, wanted it, then regretted it the next day. Or NOT

SWMustang
10-05-2010, 09:16 PM

yeah, she asked for it.

Ranger Mom
10-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Bruce

Here is a quote from that article: "I'm glad it's over because the school district and the county are not going to be having to continue with the cost of litigation of the suit," Sheffield told KFDM News.

My question is...if it happened after hours at a party, why would the school district be involved??

Emerson1
10-05-2010, 10:14 PM
She sued them for kicking her off the team not what happened at the party.

Paratrooper
10-06-2010, 04:35 AM

That is an EXTREMELY FOUL assumption. Are you kidding me?

BullsFan
10-06-2010, 09:54 AM

That's the exactly the kind of attitude that keeps girls from ever going to the authorities and keeps rapists out of jail and on the streets. I sincerely hope you threw that out there for shock value and not because you genuinely feel that way.

TheDOCTORdre
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Paratrooper

seems likely though, here is an excerpt from the link posted earlier

Originally posted by Bruce
"The Court found that the original complaint failed to clearly and concisely state factual allegations that supported the elements of the asserted causes of action; further, to an overwhelming extent, it inappropriately included speculation, rumor and irrelevant matters. The Court allowed the Plaintiffs to refile in light of the gravity of the accusations and potential rights involved. The Plaintiffs' filed their First Amended Complaint on July 24, 2009. The Court notes that the new complaint is rife with the irrelevant and often snide remarks that characterized the original complaint. The Defendants in the case have filed motions to dismiss this new complaint for failing to state any claims upon which relief can be granted under Rule 12(b)(6) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Having reviewed the motions, the first amended complaint and all applicable law, the Court grants the Defendants' motions to dismiss in their entirety."

TheDOCTORdre
10-06-2010, 10:15 AM
let me just state for the record that I don't know what happened or what didn't but it seems to me based on the complaint that was filed by the prosecutors had no actual merit to their accusation

Farmersfan
10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
It seems to me that it is correct that a HS Cheerleader should not be allowed to use her cheerleading responsibilities to make a statement about a player or other student if that other student was never been convicted! She has a right to her opinion but if she can't cheer for everyone then you can't be a cheerleader!
This is an extreme case but what if another Cheerleader didn't want to cheer for a ex-boyfriend? Or she didn't want to cheer for the kids of another family that her family was feuding with? Or another girl who beat her out for prom queen? Where do we draw the line?

Phil C
10-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Why all the fuss. Just let the other cheerleaders cheer for him and let her be silent when they cheer him. Come on people!

USE A LITTLE COMMON SENSE!

I MAY NOT HAVE AS MUCH BOOK LEARNING AS SOME OF YOU BUT I DO HAVE COMMON SENSE!!

:mad:

IrishTex
10-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Why all the fuss. Just let the other cheerleaders cheer for him and let her be silent when they cheer him. Come on people!

I MAY NOT HAVE AS MUCH BOOK LEARNING AS SOME OF YOU BUT I DO HAVE COMMON SENSE!!

Please allow me to cut and paste Phil...

The cheerleader, identified only as H.S., sued the principal of Silsbee (Texas) High School and other officials after they removed her from the school's cheerleading squad because she refused to cheer for Rakheem Bolton when he took free throws during a basketball game in February 2009. Bolton had allegedly assaulted her at an off-campus party the previous October.
Under Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School Dist., 393 U.S. 503 (1969), students cannot be punished merely for expressing their personal views on the school premises unless school authorities have reason to believe that such expression will "substantially interfere with the work of the school or impinge upon the rights of other students."
"It seems blatantly oppressive for Defendants to condition H.S.' participation in [the cheerleading] program on whether she cheers for her rapist when he was being individually rewarded for having been allegedly fouled in a game," her attorney, Larry Watts of Missouri City, Texas, said in a brief. "Bolton is no Kobe Bryant and the Silsbee High School team is not the Lakers!"
But the court ruled that the school district punished her appropriately, saying "In her capacity as cheerleader, H.S. served as a mouthpiece through which SISD could disseminate speech -- namely, support for its athletic teams." Her protest also "constituted substantial interference with the work of the school because, as a cheerleader, H.S. was at the basketball game for the purpose of cheering, a position she undertook voluntarily."

Failing to cheer constitutes substantial interference? If that's the case, every cheerleader from my four years of high school should be arrested, because half the time they were ignoring the game.

The ruling is of course absurd, but very high marks for the girl's attorney, who in his statement managed in get Kobe Bryant's name on the record in a case about a basketball player accused of sexual assault.

lulu
10-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

:mad:
Thank God....a voice with some wisdom.
Thanks Phil

Emerson1
10-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
So is accusing someone of sexual assault.

If I am just missing where it says he was convicted please put the link on here and I'll shutup and retract my statements. But in the two articles I read it said she only accused him and the guy was never convicted.

BullsFan
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
So is accusing someone of sexual assault.

If I am just missing where it says he was convicted please put the link on here and I'll shutup and retract my statements. But in the two articles I read it said she only accused him and the guy was never convicted.

Not every guilty person is convicted. Acquaintance and date rape are particularly hard to prosecute. Just because her case was worded inappropriately (which I took to mean was overly sarcastic) doesn't mean he didn't do it. And whether he was convicted or not, clearly something happened. Forcing her to cheer for him is both inappropriate and unnecessary.

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Not every guilty person is convicted. Acquaintance and date rape are particularly hard to prosecute. Just because her case was worded inappropriately (which I took to mean was overly sarcastic) doesn't mean he didn't do it. And whether he was convicted or not, clearly something happened. Forcing her to cheer for him is both inappropriate and unnecessary.

I have to ask Bullsfan..but how do you know CLEARLY something happened?

He may or may not have assualted her...She is also may or may not have made it up.

Your giving Emerson a hard time for saying she made it up, but you have basically decided something happened he just was not convicted of it

BullsFan
10-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I have to ask Bullsfan..but how do you know CLEARLY something happened?

He may or may not have assualted her...She is also may or may not have made it up.

Your giving Emerson a hard time for saying she made it up, but you have basically decided something happened he just was not convicted of it

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying CLEARLY he assaulted her. I'm saying CLEARLY something happened between these two people who are not adults yet, and whatever it was it wasn't healthy. And she felt strongly enough about it to try and file charges not once but twice. Whatever it was that happened should be grounds enough for her to not cheer for him when he has free throws. It's not like he's being forced to cheer for her or in fact even so much as apologize. Why should she be the only one punished?

And for the record, I am not giving Emerson "a hard time" for saying she made it up. I was unhappy with him saying that she was probably drunk and really wanted it and then made up the charges the next day.

Keith7
10-08-2010, 03:29 PM
this thread should be in the Sports forum.. Cheerleading is more of a sport than golf.

LE Dad
10-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately we had an incident here a few years back that closely resembles this one except it involved multiple athletes. That poor girl (who was 12 years old) had her whole life turned upside down and had to relocate out of town.... Witnesses that gave statements one way, changed stories, but after a couple of mistrials the truth finally came out. One was a star linebacker at OSU, with great potential, he got probation and it was revoked after other allegations surfaced... The rest went to prison...

Their defense was "she wanted it and said she was 18" They got this poor baby drunk on vodka and orange juice and I doubt she had any control over her body or mind.... after they were done with her they carried here about 6 blocks from her house and threw her out semi dressed.

No drunk, young girl can want or ask for anything.... If you think she wants sex why not wait till she is sober so she can make a rational decision?

DaHop72
10-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
this thread should be in the Sports forum.. Cheerleading is more of a sport than golf. And stupidity rears it's ugly head one more time.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: