PDA

View Full Version : UIL might lockout Officials

Emerson1
10-02-2010, 10:51 AM
got this from the 5A site

I pulled this from another site, but thought it was interesting to note, has anyone heard anything about this? I have a concern about officials doing 3-4 playoff games a day?...... "On November 1, 2010 the UIL will lock out football (and other) officials who do not register with the UIL. This is part of the attempt by UIL to break TASO and for UIL to have full control over all officials in Texas. There are some officials who will register and a lot who will not. The question is will there be adequate officials to handle your games Week 10 and during the playoffs? The UIL has indicated they will force the schools to move to a common venue and have officials work 3-4 games per day in order to cover all of the games. Will your district title be determined by an official who has been on the field for 8-10 hours? You might want to talk with you superintendent and see if he really wants UIL to control everything."

TexMike
10-02-2010, 11:10 AM
This is a developing situation that few folks care about except the officials and the UIL unfortunately. Coaches either don't care (yet) or are electing to remain neutral for obvious reasons. It is too complicated for the media to deal with or for most fans to spend time on. Let's just say the week 10 games (subvarsity and varsity) are going to create some interesting situations. (to say nothing of the playoffs starting the week later)

Tiger Dad
10-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Coaches must answer to UIL so should these guys who can have such an impact on the outcome of games.

BullsFan
10-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I kind of agree with the idea of refs having to answer to UIL. There is one chapter of officials so bad that no one I know wants to have to deal with them. If there was a way to make that chapter accountable for their actions or even get them retrained somehow, I'd be all over that.

ETA: Please don't think I'm just being a homer....we don't actually see those refs very often, and it's only when we play a certain area of the state that isn't in our alignment very often.

CenTexSports
10-02-2010, 01:18 PM
There will be no lockout. Simply, any official not registered with the UIL will not officiate any sport after Nov 1. All football officials already have received this notification.

957tiger
10-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
There will be no lockout. Simply, any official not registered with the UIL will not officiate any sport after Nov 1. All football officials already have received this notification.

So if I understand whats going on right now. Does the UIL who has treated officials with a different set of of expectations than coaches, now plan on forcing all oficials fromTASO to become members of the UIL? And what happens when a team is caught using a crew that does not become registered?

LE Dad
10-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Won't happen.

JJWalker
10-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Looks like the taso.org domain will soon be available. Cheap.

TexMike
10-02-2010, 04:36 PM
It IS a lockout. Officials were already agreed to for this season. If we show up and are not permitted to work the game it IS a lockout.

Coaches are not summoned to Austin because they thought a pass might work but instead it was intercepted and run back for a TD. What some folks (even here) seem to think is that the UIL will summonm an official to Austin because he saw a block in the back but a slow motion vidoe review showed it was from the side. they themselves will tell you that is not in the plan so for you who think this is going to make officials better, please explain how.

Tiger Dad
10-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Then why are yall so scared to be regulated by the same group that regulates the rest of high school football ?

Necked
10-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Tiger Dad
Then why are yall so scared to be regulated by the same group that regulates the rest of high school football ?

What makes you think the UIL knows anything more about "regulating" officials than the TASO does? All I see is the UIL collecting another fee at some point. They are experts at collecting fees though...

slingshot
10-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Necked
What makes you think the UIL knows anything more about "regulating" officials than the TASO does? All I see is the UIL collecting another fee at some point. They are experts at collecting fees though... Bingo. This is a money grab by the UIL. Pure and simple...

sinton66
10-02-2010, 08:52 PM
UIL Salaries (http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/the-university-of-texas-at-austin/departments/uil/1528/?page=1)

BullsFan
10-02-2010, 11:09 PM
The difference is that UIL is an organization that is dedicated to all aspects of the game, including players, coaches, facilities, etc, and now officials too. TASO is dedicated to officials. Maybe if enough complaints about a certain team or chapter are directed to UIL, something will be done to address the issue or at least investigate. I would imagine that TASO as the organization that represents officials would be more likely to stand behind the official. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing, because officials need an organization to protect their rights too. But it's not necessarily a bad thing to have someone looking out for both sides.

GreenMonster
10-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Coaches aren't going to say much because the UIL is "the man" and we do what they say or we get whacked with a penalty. Penalty might be forfeit any games played officiated by unregistered officials, sanctions against the school for future seasons, coaches/ADs called on the carpet in Austin, or any number of other punishments that the UIL decides to hand down. We have to trust that they have good reasoning and are guiding HS athletics in a better direction for all involved. I know that the officials are upset and I think that they should be, but it's out of our hands. UIL will do what they want and we have to abide by their decisions or potentially lose our membership to their organization. I do believe it is as much a power grab as it is a money grab by the UIL, but I do not necessarily think it will be a bad thing in the long run, but rather a different thing.

Tx Challenge
10-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Coaches aren't going to say much because the UIL is "the man" and we do what they say or we get whacked with a penalty. Penalty might be forfeit any games played officiated by unregistered officials, sanctions against the school for future seasons, coaches/ADs called on the carpet in Austin, or any number of other punishments that the UIL decides to hand down. We have to trust that they have good reasoning and are guiding HS athletics in a better direction for all involved. I know that the officials are upset and I think that they should be, but it's out of our hands. UIL will do what they want and we have to abide by their decisions or potentially lose our membership to their organization. I do believe it is as much a power grab as it is a money grab by the UIL, but I do not necessarily think it will be a bad thing in the long run, but rather a different thing. t

This is right. I dont see this between the coaches. Why bring them into it? Fair or not, they bring in officials that they are told to. I think the pissing match is between the refs and the fat cats at the UIL...coaches need to get their teams ready.

sinton66
10-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Ask yourselves this, who does the UIL answer to?

sinton66
10-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Ask yourselves this, who does the UIL answer to?

Appeals Court Ruling (http://www.legaldigest.com/news/appeals-court-rules-that-uil-is-a-governmental-unit-part-of-the-university-of-texas-and-thus-is-immune-from-tasos-lawsuit)

So, TASO needs to go through the legislature if they want this changed or escalate to a higher court.

TexMike
10-03-2010, 11:04 AM
The suit was refiled several weeks ago, this time against specific persons in the UIL "leadership" as opposed to UIL, the entity. The court only said the UIL , as an organization, was exempt from being sued. It pointed out that individuals within UIL WERE subject to being sued. That has been done.

sinton66
10-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by TexMike
The suit was refiled several weeks ago, this time against specific persons in the UIL "leadership" as opposed to UIL, the entity. The court only said the UIL , as an organization, was exempt from being sued. It pointed out that individuals within UIL WERE subject to being sued. That has been done.

Don't know for sure, but I would expect the court to side with them in this one too. This approach will more than likely require a preponderance of evidence showing abuse of office or intentional malice toward TASO on the part of the individuals named in the suit. I think that may be very hard to prove.

STANG RED
10-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I know nothing about the details of any of this, but simple common sense tells me, if the UIL is the governing body over all public high school athletics in Texas, the people officiating those events should be members of, and answerable to the UIL.
Dont get me wrong. I'm not a huge fan of the UIL, and have seen many of their decisions I have strongly disagreed with. But it's what we have for now, and both sides should realize, a November 1 deadline on an action like this, is NOT in the best interest of the student athletes that will be affected. Get it together guys! Put your personal agendas aside, and look at the bigger picture here.

IrishTex
10-03-2010, 12:36 PM
but simple common sense tells me,

That sometimes is absent in court cases..

:rolleyes:

sinton66
10-03-2010, 12:44 PM
If it does come down to a lockout or a TASO strike, where would the UIL get refs? Maybe from NCAA ranks?

IrishTex
10-03-2010, 12:46 PM
If it does come down to a lockout or a TASO strike, where would the UIL get refs? Maybe from NCAA ranks?

I would think from the Junior High ranks...I don't think they are in the asociation until they referee high schol games.

sinton66
10-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
I would think from the Junior High ranks...I don't think they are in the asociation until they referee high schol games.

If true, not too sure that would cut it with the coaches/supers.

IrishTex
10-03-2010, 03:06 PM
If true, not too sure that would cut it with the coaches/supers.

I agree...

But all lock-outs are like that. Remember the NFL lockout and replacement players?

sinton66
10-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
I agree...

But all lock-outs are like that. Remember the NFL lockout and replacement players?

Apples to oranges. Different thing altogether.

CenTexSports
10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
1) All TASO officials call junior high, sub varsity and high school. In our chapter you can not get a playoff game unless you call at least 14 jr. high games.

2) We are independent contractors and we as officials don't care if the UIL gives all officials the chance to be in either a UIL chapter or a TASO chapter which is what the UIL is saying that it is doing. But then they also force you to be registered as a UIL official. We see this as the first step to take our options away. Most basketball chapters buckled under last year and became UIL chapters and left TASO. All a chapter afilliation does is to decide who will furnish the training tools, rule books, and mechanic manuals to the members.

3) As someone stated earlier, many long time officials may not register. The remaining registered ones will get the games. It could get down to some very inexperienced officials getting big games.

4) UIL will (IMO) charge to register at some point (they already do if you are in a UIL chapter through dues).

5) UIL through this move has also forced the TASO chapters to charge the schools a game fee determined by the UIL. Before this each chapter set their own game fees. This year each of our officials is loosing $20 to $40 at the jr high and sub varsity level on every game night.

When you look at the increased revenue from dues, possibly charging for registering, and lower game fees, there is a major cost benefit to the UIL and member schools at the expense of the officials.

TexMike
10-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I know nothing about the details of any of this, but simple common sense tells me, if the UIL is the governing body over all public high school athletics in Texas, the people officiating those events should be members of, and answerable to the UIL.

It has not been that way for decades and decades. Why should it be that way now? Is UIL over the medical crews that schools contract with to work their games? Is UIL over the folks who are contracted to provide security at games where there are no school district police? The schools contract with officials, not the UIL. We work for the schools, not UIL

3afan
10-03-2010, 06:07 PM
ya Mike has it right ......

STANG RED
10-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by TexMike
It has not been that way for decades and decades. Why should it be that way now? Is UIL over the medical crews that schools contract with to work their games? Is UIL over the folks who are contracted to provide security at games where there are no school district police? The schools contract with officials, not the UIL. We work for the schools, not UIL
:confused:
I've never known of medical or security crews to have any impact on the outcome of games themselves, or relied upon to inforce any UIL rules. Try again.
Lots of things that impact our lives have been done the same way for decades and decades. That doesnt mean they couldnt be done better. I'm not saying the UIL would do any better, just trying to throw an objective veiw out there.

Snotbubbles
10-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I say to have fairness, the officials should remain independent.

To me, appears the good doctor running the UIL wants total power/control/money.

GreenMonster
10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I still don't really even know what to say about all of this. I see both sides. UIL should be over the officials in my opinion. Not because I think they will do a better job but because even though the officials are independent contractors they need to have a legitimate tie in to the organization as a whole. But at the same time I see where the officials are coming from in that the system is far from broken and has been successfully in use for decades. Compromise on both parts would be the best solution, but as nasty as these two sides have played against each other already that is probably no longer an option.

Snotbubbles
10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah, both sides have fault here.

I say get those who have been involved in talks over the past year out, and get new rep's from both side's to the table to work this out for the kid's/athlete's sake.

Only one who win's in the courts, is the lawyers.

I will say if they lock the current TASO officials out after Nov 1st, Texas HS football will no longer be like we remember it. We currently have the best system in the country.

ronwx5x
10-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles

I will say if they lock the current TASO officials out after Nov 1st, Texas HS football will no longer be like we remember it. We currently have the best system in the country.

My guess is the TASO and UIL will work it out. And if they don't fans won't notice the difference. HS football as we know it is safe.

Snotbubbles
10-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
My guess is the TASO and UIL will work it out. And if they don't fans won't notice the difference. HS football as we know it is safe.

True, you might not know it Ron. But, the poor smaller schools and taxpayers having to foot the bill for an official who drove to LaVernia from Houston might when they have non-registered official's within miles to use, but schools were forced to us registered officials after Nov 1st..

The larger schools (mainly city schools) will get covered first from the "fill-in's". Just the way it works. Then, us smaller schools will get maybe one division 1 or 2 official (he knows the signals atleast) with a few other guys with a stripe shirt on and owned a whistle.

Think I'm kidding, watch who sufferes here. Smaller schools (3A and down). Taxpayers and athletic budgets, footing extremely high mileage cost's to get a few registered guys from around the state to a ball game, and of course, the ones forgotten---The kids.

YTBulldogs
10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
You can bet the larger schools (5A,4A) will get filled first by UIL "registered" officials, if the UIL locks the current TASO officials out Nov 1st.

Why? Cause the numbers to cover all the schools with "registered" officials will not be enough. I can vision some games being covered old school, with 3 or 4 officials and even coaches or school employees (tennis coach, janitor) being forced to don the stripes to get these lower classification games covered.

Let's hope both sides can come to terms here. This could be a real mess come Nov 1st for the 3A and below schools.

Buckeye1980
10-06-2010, 11:41 AM
I may look at this from a very simple point if view but it the UIL regulates high school competition in the state if Texas than the they have the right to determine who the official are. Am I wrong or is it that simple? :thinking:

LE Dad
10-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
I may look at this from a very simple point if view but it the UIL regulates high school competition in the state if Texas than the they have the right to determine who the official are. Am I wrong or is it that simple? :thinking: I would say that you are, but I don't agree with the way they are going about it. This should be done during the summer months, not November. I don't want to see playoff games with poorly trained officials.

Table this till after the season and work with TASO to reach an agreement. If there is still a deadlock then develop and properly train officials that will be prepared for 2011.

I am not saying I agree with replacing TASO with the UIL officials but it looks like the writing is on the wall.

ronwx5x
10-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
True, you might not know it Ron. But, the poor smaller schools and taxpayers having to foot the bill for an official who drove to LaVernia from Houston might when they have non-registered official's within miles to use, but schools were forced to us registered officials after Nov 1st..

The larger schools (mainly city schools) will get covered first from the "fill-in's". Just the way it works. Then, us smaller schools will get maybe one division 1 or 2 official (he knows the signals atleast) with a few other guys with a stripe shirt on and owned a whistle.

Think I'm kidding, watch who sufferes here. Smaller schools (3A and down). Taxpayers and athletic budgets, footing extremely high mileage cost's to get a few registered guys from around the state to a ball game, and of course, the ones forgotten---The kids.

Maybe I'm being simplistic, but if the UIL prevails, then all officials who want to continue will abandon the TASO and register with the UIL. TASO will simply cease to exist. Why would someone be a member of an organization that has no real function?

Maybe I'm missing something. Is the UIL only forcing registration and not offering the certification and training that TASO now does? Will TASO continue to do assignments, training, compliance and all the other function they now do? Enlighten me, please.

CenTexSports
10-06-2010, 01:36 PM
As of now, the registration is seperate from chapter affiliation. The Chapter can be either TASO or UIL with the chapter getting their training and manuals from the organization they choose.

One thing nobody else has mentioned is that Texas is the only state that does not have the schools and officials under the same organization. But remember Texas is only one of three states that use NCAA rules so the same as the rest is not necessarly better.

BwdLion_80
10-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Maybe I'm being simplistic, but if the UIL prevails, then all officials who want to continue will abandon the TASO and register with the UIL. TASO will simply cease to exist. Why would someone be a member of an organization that has no real function?

Maybe I'm missing something. Is the UIL only forcing registration and not offering the certification and training that TASO now does? Will TASO continue to do assignments, training, compliance and all the other function they now do? Enlighten me, please.

TASO does not do assignments. They do handle the training and that is all done, with the exception of regional clinics and state meetings, at the chapter level. Our chapter is under the understanding that the training will be continued by the local chapters and not by the UIL. We will get our rule books and the like from our chapter. At the beginning this is the way is was set out, plus we were going to have to pay the UIL $50 to be one of their officials. So, we were going to have to pay them $50 for what? They were not going to provide us anything that TASO was currently providing, which included insurance. I know that things have shifted a bit, as in now, registration with the UIL is free, but for the most part, the UIL wants the final say on what to do with officials that made a mistake, had a bad game or just about anything else that coaches did not agree with. The official would basically have no support.

ronwx5x
10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
TASO does not do assignments. They do handle the training and that is all done, with the exception of regional clinics and state meetings, at the chapter level. Our chapter is under the understanding that the training will be continued by the local chapters and not by the UIL. We will get our rule books and the like from our chapter. At the beginning this is the way is was set out, plus we were going to have to pay the UIL $50 to be one of their officials. So, we were going to have to pay them $50 for what? They were not going to provide us anything that TASO was currently providing, which included insurance. I know that things have shifted a bit, as in now, registration with the UIL is free, but for the most part, the UIL wants the final say on what to do with officials that made a mistake, had a bad game or just about anything else that coaches did not agree with. The official would basically have no support.

Would TASO not support the "accused" official? I'm beginning to understand what TASO does a little better but if UIL is not going to charge for registration, what is the beef? Is there a suspicion the UIL will charge a fee at some future date?

LHSEagleFan
10-06-2010, 04:31 PM
You can read more of this at:
http://www.austintgca.com/

BwdLion_80
10-06-2010, 04:44 PM
The original idea by the UIL had all officials paying them $50 dues, for nothing, except the possibility of calling varsity games, since they stated that to call varsity games you were going to have to be a UIL official. This is the same thing they are saying that is going to happen on Nov. 1. The only difference is that this time they are not asking for money. It is very likely that will change in the future. As for TASO supporting officials, they do stand behind their officials. One issue that I can see is that the UIL answers to the schools and if the school has a problem with an official or a chapter, the UIL is way more likely to side with the school no matter what, since they have to answer to them.

zebrablue2
10-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80

:iagree:Bingo!!!

Txbroadcaster
10-06-2010, 06:00 PM
The UIL does not answer to schools but the other way around.

Astrosdawg07
10-06-2010, 08:40 PM
TASO Email from 9/29/10

September 29, 2010

In the last week, many of you received an email from the UIL office. Based on the telephone calls and emails I have received, the message from the UIL caused more confusion to the UIL’s attempt to dominate and control all officiating in Texas. The purpose of this note is to add clarity to the subject and provide you the organization’s official stance on matters as they relate to the UIL. As a result, the length of this message is longer than usual.

Joint Statement Has NOT Been Released

On Monday, September 27, 2010, many of you received an email stating the UIL position regarding the September 21, 2010 meeting between TASO, those representing the UIL’s position and the UIL staff. This correspondence is not the joint statement between TASO and the UIL that you may have heard was forthcoming.

Rest assured, until you see my signature on the same page with the representative from the UIL, a joint statement has not been released.

Background leading up to the September 21, 2010 meeting

Over the past few weeks I have been contacted by many members and chapter officers about the November 1st deadline for TASO members to register with the UIL. Many parties including TASO members, coaches, athletic directors and other school administrators did not understand why the UIL selected this date.

Did the UIL consider the impact their action may have on volleyball playoffs, and the final week of the regular football season when district championships are on the line and playoff implications are determined?

The confusion is understandable given the UIL’s position is somewhat fluid.

Given the confusion caused by the UIL’s arbitrary deadline, some of the Football Secretaries asked me to get clarification from the UIL and wanted to meet in Austin to discuss. I felt the best way to get answers was straight from the UIL, so I called Dr. Breithaupt to invite him and arranged the meeting.

Dr. Breithaupt immediately passed me off to Tony Timmons. I explained what the Football Secretaries were asking and invited him to attend the meeting so the UIL position could be explained. Since the coaches and ADs are also impacted, I invited representatives from the Texas High School Coaches Association and the Texas High School Athletic Directors Association. The Coaches Association representatives could not attend due to previous commitments, but the Athletic Director’s representative accepted the invitation.

I have received many calls asking, “Why was football the only Division invited?” and “Why just the largest football chapters?” As I answer these questions, please consider the original invitation only included the UIL staff involved with officiating. Originally, it was expected the meeting would have roughly equal numbers of TASO and UIL representatives. Meetings are more productive when a small number of individuals attend. I also thought it would be more professional to keep the number of attendees to a minimum.

The reason the football division attended the meeting was the Football Secretaries were primarily the ones asking me for the detailed information. As explained above, the number of chapter secretaries was limited to keep the meeting focused, and I know it would have been a hardship for all 23 football chapters to be in Austin on a Tuesday morning with only four days notice.

As you will read later, the November 1st deadline only affects volleyball and football. The deadline for the other sports is not November 1, 2010.

NOTE: I encourage all sports to meet with the UIL and me. The meeting on September 21, 2010 was not intended to be the final meeting between TASO and the UIL. This is your organization. Chapter Secretaries and Presidents, please let me know if you want the UIL and/or me to meet with your chapter.

Highlights of the September 21, 2010 meeting

The UIL took it upon themselves to invite a total of 15 people to the meeting including superintendents, athletic directors and representatives from the Texas Girls Coach’s Association, the Baseball Coaches Association and the Basketball Association. Even though this was unexpected (they knew it would only be Football Chapter chapters, so why the Girls, Baseball and Basketball Coaches representatives???), it was not disappointing as TASO has requested meetings with this level of attendees in the past but was always refused.

The UIL recorded the entire meeting, and I asked all attendees to sign their name and affiliation on a sheet of paper. We had a gentleman’s agreement that we would exchange the audio recording and sign-in list the next days.

When the meeting began, I was asked if one of the superintendents, the Chairman of the Legislative Council could make a statement. I agreed and he made a statement in support of the UIL registration policy. He immediately yielded the floor to another UIL invitee who basically said the same thing followed by 5 or 6 similar statements from the UIL invitees. Since these men were invited to the meeting by the UIL, it is no great surprise that they were unified in their support of the UIL and their registration process. Unfortunately, many of them left after the first hour, so they did not hear much from us or our perspective.

After they all had an opportunity to state their positions, I opened up the core of the meeting with a simple question for the entire UIL contingent: “Since the November 1st date is causing so much confusion and concern for TASO members, coaches and administrators and there is a very real chance that many of Football and Volleyball members will not abide by the November 1st date causing even more confusion during the Volleyball and Football play-offs, please answer this … How is this in the best interest of the Texas High School Student Athlete?”

There was a solid 5 – 7 seconds of stone cold silence as obviously no one had a good answer. After that, several chimed in with obvious canned and rehearsed answers such as:

“It was the first available date after the first law suit was dismissed” … Really? The first suit was dismissed on August 27th. How is November 1st the first “available” date?

“It’s important that all sports sign up on the same date” … Really? Later when it was asked if the spring sports (Baseball, Soccer and Softball) would also have to sign up by November 1st, we were told that they only had to register before they officiated in a UIL contest, so there seems to be nothing special about the November 1st date.

…and my personal favorite … “It’s on a Monday.”

Now that brings us back to the “joint statement”. Towards the end of the meeting, one of the TASO representatives suggested that much of the confusion about the registration process could be cleared up with a joint statement of the FACTS. It was suggested that if these FACTS could be committed to a document signed by both Tony Timmons and me, that it would go a long way to the understanding of the TASO member’s alternatives.

Both Tony Timmons and I agreed to the joint statement that simply stated the facts.

We left the meeting with the understanding that Tony Timmons and I would share our interpretations of the meeting’s discussion points and together agree on the final document. To that end, I have been communicating with the TASO members in attendance at the meeting to ensure we all had a common understanding of these points as stated by the UIL.

Astrosdawg07
10-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Continued...

Results of the September 21, 2010 meeting

On Wednesday, September 22, 2010, I sent Tony a copy of the sign-in sheet from the meeting.

I have yet to receive a copy of the audio recording.

On Sunday night, September 26, 2010, at 7:59 PM, I received Tony Timmons’ version of the meeting. In his e-mail, he stated that it was for me to review as he was sending it out the next day (Monday, September 27, 2010). I responded by reminding him that he agreed to us working together to create a statement of facts for TASO members to consider and that I would share his version with the other TASO attendees and we would reply to him.

We all know what happened next; we received the e-mail from the UIL about the meeting. It was issued with NO input from me or any of the TASO members that attended at the September 21st meeting.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT YOU RECEIVED FROM THE UIL ON SEPTEMBER 27th WAS THE UIL INTERPRETATION OF THE MEETING. NEITHER I NOR ANYONE ELSE FROM TASO WAS ALLOWED ANY INPUT IN SPITE OF WHAT WAS AGREED TO IN FRONT OF EVERYONE ATTENDING THE MEETING. THERE IS SOME FACTUAL INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE UIL MESSAGE, BUT THERE ARE ALSO STATEMENTS NEVER MADE IN THAT MEETING AND SEVERAL NOTABLE OMISSIONS.

It is important reiterate, all parties left the September 21st meeting with the understanding that Tony Timmons and I would share our interpretations of the meeting’s discussion points and together agree on the final document. The TASO members in attendance and I have been working to develop an accurate statement of the meeting to ensure we all had a common understanding of these points as stated by the UIL.

As you can clearly see, the UIL leadership continues to say one thing, but do another.

Conclusions

The UIL chose November 1st because they believe that you as an official will do anything to work a playoff game. Signing up is free (for now), and once you are registered, you are eligible to work playoff games. I understand that play-off games are a reward for all the hard work and dedication during the pre-season scrimmages and regular season. I have been an official for 37 years and I understand how most officials think. After spending 10+ years on the Football and TASO boards working with the UIL every year on numerous issues, listening to what they say and observing what they do, I have much different perspective on their long-term goals.

Many people have asked “what’s wrong with a free registration?” Good question, and if taken by itself, nothing. However it’s a lot like the small leak in the dam, it never remains a small leak, left unplugged it eventually becomes a total collapse of the dam.

If this is how they treat TASO members and leadership now, can you image how it will be if they are in total control? DO NOT be fooled by their new approach that a Chapter can remain a TASO Chapter and the individual members can officiate UIL contests simply by a free registration process. That maybe true today, but in my opinion, it will not remain so. They tried to bulldoze our membership into joining previously and found that tactic did not work and now they have formulated a new scheme of a kinder and gentler UIL.

As an example, we only have to look back to last week’s meeting, when the registration process went from “free forever” at the beginning of the meeting to “free for now” at the end. They can’t even keep the same story through a single meeting!

I attended a TASO Softball Chapter meeting this past Sunday where Tony Timmons referred (via a telephone connection) to TASO as the “former” organization. This gives you an insight to their real intentions.

I have attempted to negotiate an agreement with the UIL to end the dispute and the lawsuit. Many of you have expressed the opinion that “why can’t you just sit down with them and work this out?” I have tried repeatedly. The UIL leadership would not collaborate with us on a simple joint statement – even after agreeing to do so in a room full of people. Tossing the agreement aside is a living example of the tactics used by the UIL.
They do not want to negotiate. Their intent is to control every aspect of high school officiating, including your high school officiating career.

Welcome to the world of high school officiating in Texas as they will have it.

Don’t forget that we will be back in court well before the November 1st registration deadline attempting to stop the registration process. TASO is a membership organization and our members are independent contractors. Registration is an individual choice. I suggest you wait until after the court date to finalize your decision.
I encourage you to ask these questions:
1. Where would TASO be if we did not take a firm stand in December 2009?
2. If we did not take a stand then, do you think you, as a high school official, would be better off with only representation from a state bureaucracy controlled by the same people that control the schools?
3. If the UIL treats us this way now, what do you think of their Due Process when a conflict arises on the field, diamond or court?

Below are the points that came out of the September 21st meeting. ALL TASO attendees are in 100% agreement as to their accuracy.

Regards,

Mike

Michael Fitch
Executive Director
Texas Association of Sports Officials

These are the points that were made during a meeting of Football Chapter representatives and the UIL. Even though this meeting was focused on Football, these points apply to all sports.
This is simply a restatement of the “facts about registration” as related to the TASO attendees by the UIL and should NOT be considered as an indication of support by TASO or a recommendation to register. TASO is a membership organization and our members are independent contractors. Registration is an individual choice.

· Meeting attendees included UIL Staff, Members of the UIL Legislative Council, Athletic Directors, Athletic Director Association President, representatives for the Girls Coaches Association, Basketball Coaches Association, Baseball Coaches Association, TASO Houston Football, TASO Dallas Football, TASO Fort Worth Football, TASO San Antonio Football, TASO Austin Football, TASO Football President, and the TASO Executive Director;
· There is a very distinct difference between an official “registering” with the UIL and a Chapter “joining” the UIL;
· Individual officials “register” with the UIL, a Chapter may vote to “join” the UIL;
· Ultimately all chapters will have to decide which “Provider” they choose to use, TASO or the UIL although Dr. Breithaupt and Tony Timmons both encouraged current TASO members to remain with TASO;
· A Chapter that joins the UIL will pay $50 State Dues per member and receive all of their services (testing, rule books, training, disciplinary actions, etc.) from the UIL instead of TASO;
· Currently, individual registration is free although there may be a fee established in the future;
· UIL Registration is an annual event and the UIL reserves the right to make an official ineligible to work UIL contests;
· The registration deadline for Football and Volleyball is November 1st as we are in the middle of those seasons. Officials in other sports must register before they officiate any UIL game;
· All officials must register with the UIL to officiate in UIL games at all levels;
· Individual registration by the UIL is not required to officiate non UIL contests;
· All Officials must belong to a Chapter that is either a TASO member or aligned with the UIL and cannot solicit games individually;
The UIL will not allow a UIL chapter to form in an area that there is a chapter that opted to stay a TASO chapter where most of the members are registered with the UIL and that chapter is covering the local UIL School’s games;
· UIL assignments will not favor a UIL Chapter, and
· The ADs and Administrators pledged to enforce both sides of the 1204 fee schedule and travel policy and make UIL member schools pay accordingly.

TexMike
10-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

One thing nobody else has mentioned is that Texas is the only state that does not have the schools and officials under the same organization. But remember Texas is only one of three states that use NCAA rules so the same as the rest is not necessarly better.

There are other states that do not have the state hs assn also be the authority over officiating but there are not that many. but like momma used to say...if all your buddies jumped off the bridge, would you also?

And there are only 2 states using NCAA rules for HS football, Texas and Mass.

VWG
10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
If everyone thinks that all officials will register with the UIL they are mistaken. There are good officials out there who not only call Friday night games, but call NAIA, D III, D II, JUCO games on Saturday and have many years of experience that will quit HS and just call college games. Officials don't call HS games for the money, because if you look at the time involved (training starts in July) the hourly wage would be around minimum.
It's a shame that the UIL wants revenue off the officials, but will not help train, recruit, or do what else it takes to keep good officials on the field for HS football in this state.

Again, why does UIL want control?? To be the police over officials who make bad calls? TASO chapters are doing that already. They know who the good officials are and the bad officials are. They try and recruit people every year to join up and become officials. Go through training in the class room and on the field before scrimmages start. TASO chapters are responsible for their members and they police those members.

It's about UIL making more money... plain and simple. If it wasn't then why wouldn't they step in and help educate, train, recruit, and put back the dollars they make into making officiating better?

Also, I have said this before and I will say it again. The BEST, and I mean the BEST officials and coaches every year are always in the stands. Those fans that think they know what play should have been called after it failed, or saw that holding on a touchdown run that never factored in on the outcome of that play are the ones that criticize the most.

There it is...... Fire away boys.....

Snotbubbles
10-06-2010, 11:18 PM
This is going to be very ugly and a shameful event come Nov 1st. Yes, football will continue, but---UIL could of handled this situation better and with class. SOA/TASO been doing this service for many a moon and atleast warrant some respect.

Some are right, it's UIL's schools, and they can do what they want. But, TASO has earned some respect. Plus, TASO has what UIL needs, the quality officials. Sure there are cases where games have been poorly officiated, heck all levels from NFL down has those. But, I'd say 90% of games are done well and 99% of playoffs done well. When TASO is locked out, I fear playoff games will be decided by blown calls when fill in, non trained tennis coaches, janitors (whoever they can get to fill in) are forced to work.

I also agree. If UIL had any care on this, it would have been handled in the off season. What's the harm to get this ironed out in Jan 2011 afterall? Why have someones senior season ruined over a fill in officials call? To me, it proves the UIL only cares about themselves and not the schools/student/fans.

I hear it all the time by fans, "officials are bad". Trust me, for HS officials, Texas (TASO) has the best. They Perfect? Of course not, but for the most part, they're solid.

Wanna see bad, wait if they get locked out Nov 1st and you get "Janitor Jim" calling your Cuero/Wimberley, Sealy/Brownwood (don't even know if these schools could play one another in playoffs, but you get my point). That's plum sad UIL is forcing this to be, when they could wait 2 more months then resume this issue.

I still can't believe these guys at the UIL, with all their degrees, can't just use trust, honesty, respect and talk this out. TASO has earned it, regardless if it is the UIL schools.

YTBulldogs
10-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Well put Snotbubbles. As a TASO official, and one that loves this game. I really think the fan's don't realize what's about to happen come Nov 1st. Talk all they want about a game here, a game there that was called bad, I agree, I'm sure there are some of those, but nothing like what your about to see. Not to mention the cost schools will have to pay just to get maybe one TASO/UIL registered official to it's game. Some places will have to get a guy from Dallas, to cover a game in South Texas, then he'll be joined with 2 or 3 local fill-ins. No way you'll see 5 man crews come Nov 1st. I can see both schools in the contest providing a spare coach or two to cover a varsity game.

Remember, it was the UIL and not TASO who is making this happen. I also agree, as a 26 year veteran, we are not perfect. We strive to be, but we make mistakes. But nothing like what's about to be forced upon the schools/student athletes and you fans come the final crucial regular season game and the all important playoff run.

Sad day for Texas High School sports. Period. UIL timing is all wrong here.

orange machine
10-07-2010, 12:02 AM
This will be awful if some games are blown by people who should not or do not know what they are doing refs that is. I guess some of should go to Foot Locker and buy us a Zebra Shirt and some black pants.

Cowboy_Up
10-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Everyone wants to come out against the big bad UIL, but I just don't see why all involved in an athletic contest shouldn't be governed by the same body.

I'm not anti-TASO and fully understand the importance of good officials but the idea that not registering for free because you want to make some sort of stand and then turn around and talk about what's good for the kids...don't see how you can have it both ways.

I agree that the UIL has terrible timing with the Nov 1 date and it does seem like a blatant power play. Seems to me if everyone really cares about the student athletes and doing the right thing then go ahead and register and finish what you started. Then work it out over the off season.

The UIL will eventually win this thing, too much precedent in other states and their pockets are deep. It's inevitable.
Hopefully both sides can put their egos in check and do what's best for the kids. I'm skeptical of that happening based on the back and forth I'm reading now.

YTBulldogs
10-07-2010, 09:38 AM
My good friend from Edna (Cowboy Up),

UIL in this "take over" time frame, has spoke out both sides of their mouth. They agreed to talk with TASO recently (which is all most us officials wanted from the get go) and keep this mess out of the courts again. They talked, then as soon as the meeting was over, they did opposite they said they would do to reach common ground here.

Like I said, TASO had their issues in the past, but---that was the past. The BS going on now is at the UIL doing. Yes, your right. UIL is going to win out cause it's their schools. But, they could have both quality officials and the schools if they just showed respect to an organization that has been calling their games for 30+ years.

To me, a TASO rep should be appointed to the UIL Board to represent officials in all UIL sports. Mr. Timmons (UIL Official Director) is not a TASO rep, he's in the good doctors back pocket.

Astrosdawg07
10-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Email via TASO

October 11, 2010

We have a court date for a hearing on our request for a Temporary Injunction the week of October 18, 2010. Due to the court’s
busy schedule, the exact date of the hearing is unknown but will likely be October 19th or 20th.

We are requesting the court to quash the November 1st deadline for registering with the UIL.

We will advise you of the outcome.

Regards

Mike

Michael Fitch
Executive Director
Texas Association of Sports Officials