PDA

View Full Version : Coach suspended for taking in homeless player

wimbo_pro
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a great guy...but how did this coach not know this was a violation? Now, he has let down all the other boys and the school. Kind of a sad situation.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Florida-coach-suspended-for-taking-in-homeless-p?urn=highschool-273393

Tx Challenge
09-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Sad....this is where grey should be imposed instead of black and white

Pick6
09-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Sounds like a great guy...but how did this coach not know this was a violation? Now, he has let down all the other boys and the school. Kind of a sad situation.
[

Let's see, take a kid off the street or worry about wins and losses. Looks like the coach did the right thing.

wimbo_pro
09-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Let's see, take a kid off the street or worry about wins and losses. Looks like the coach did the right thing.
Yes Pick6...but now every kid on the team forfeits their games. Couldnt there have been a better way for the coach to help that didnt cost others?

RoyceTTU
09-30-2010, 01:59 PM
This is a slippery slope and should be judged by a panel instead of the guillotine approach.

FbCoachB40
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
The article reads,"The rule states that no school employee or representative of the school's athletic department can provide or promise free or reduced-cost housing for a potential athlete in their program."

If this is exactly how the rule reads...how does a coach's child participate in the program? or is that illegal in Florida also???

Pick6
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Yes Pick6...but now every kid on the team forfeits their games. Couldnt there have been a better way for the coach to help that didnt cost others?

Yeah, I guess the coach could of left him on the streets until he found another alternative. This coach realizes that football is a game, the kids life isn't a game. Honor before games.

BullsFan
09-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Someone should send them a copy of The Blind Side.

RoyceTTU
09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
The article reads,"The rule states that no school employee or representative of the school's athletic department can provide or promise free or reduced-cost housing for a potential athlete in their program."

If this is exactly how the rule reads...how does a coach's child participate in the program? or is that illegal in Florida also???

I understand your point but I would bet there is a seperate section that specifies amendments for coaches children.

Ernest T Bass
09-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Wonder what the homeless kid's 40 time is?

STANG RED
09-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I hope it all works out good for the coach and the student. But no doubt it has to be investigated, to make sure everything is on the up and up. I dont think anyone can make much of an objective determination, just by what is reported in the article.

FbCoachB40
09-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass

I would be willing to bet that the player is a STUD!! Otherwise, no one would blow the whistle on this whole thing...THAT SUCKS!!

PPSTATEBOUND
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass

Ernest did ya have ta.....LMAO anyhow!!!!!

Ernest T Bass
09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Ernest did ya have ta.....LMAO anyhow!!!!!

Hey, if you dont ask, how ya gonna know?

RoyceTTU
09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
I would be willing to bet that the player is a STUD!! Otherwise, no one would blow the whistle on this whole thing...THAT SUCKS!!

The report stated is was "Self Sanctioned" which means the school turned itself in trying to do the right thing. Hopefully that in itself will help the board.

FbCoachB40
09-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
The report stated is was "Self Sanctioned" which means the school turned itself in trying to do the right thing. Hopefully that in itself will help the board.

I hope that it does mean easy sanctions; however, self-reported usually means that someone was gonna snitch, so we reported it ourselves before they could.

kaorder1999
09-30-2010, 05:00 PM
its always interesting how the homeless ones taken in are great athletes.

LH Panther Mom
09-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
its always interesting how the homeless ones taken in are great athletes.
I was going to ask how old he is. :thinking: (I'm thinking of the "kid" @ Permian.)