PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater vs Midland Christian

Phantom Stang
09-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Stangs go for four in a row
Written by Ron Howell
Thursday, 30 September 2010

For the last three weeks, this year’s Sweetwater football team has done a good job of putting last year’s 1-9 debacle further and further in the rear view mirror.
In that time, the 4-1 Mus-tangs’ offense has scored a healthy average of 30 points a game, while the team’s vastly improved defense has surrendered just 9.3 as the team has defeated Levelland, Early and Midland Greenwood.
Sweetwater has spread the wealth offensively as its 10 rushing touchdowns during the win streak have been scored by five different players, while the four touchdown passes have gone to four different receivers.
The offensive line has al-lowed Sweetwater to average 276 yards rushing and 138 yards passing over that three-week span.
And after having several breakdowns against Early, the special teams play was much improved in a 32-7 win over Midland Greenwood this past Friday.
The Mustangs host another Midland team — private school Midland Christian — at 7:30 this Friday.
And coach Craig Slaughter hopes his team avoids looking ahead to Abilene Wylie, which will be coming to Mustang Bowl the following week when Sweetwater finally begins its district season Oct. 8. “It’s a concern,” he said. “But I’m not worried too much about it after what a lot of these kids went through last year (with the 1-9 record).
“I thought Friday’s game was the best we’ve played so far. The defense continued to play very well and the offense moved the ball, and our special teams had a good night. I would love to go into district with us still on a winning streak and being healthy.”
Sweetwater will need to keep its game at a high level to defeat Midland Christian, which is 2-2 this season and almost pulled off a big upset last week against Big Spring before the Steers rallied in the second half to pull out a 34-30 victory. Big Spring reeled off 20 unanswered points to overcome a 30-14 halftime deficit. Midland Christian, also known as the Mustangs, rushed for 210 yards — including 125 by Christian Whigham and 74 by Tanner Dobbs — in its close loss to Big Spring.
“Those guys have a very solid run game, probably the best run game we’ve seen,” Slaughter said.
Up front, Midland Chris-tian is one of the biggest teams Sweetwater has faced so far, with four starters on the offensive line between 235 and 300 pounds. “It will look like a 3A offensive line,” Slaughter said.
Though they’ve never met in the regular season, the teams scrimmaged here last year and for several years before that.
Slaughter said he’s happy with the way the season has gone even though the biggest games are yet to come.
“Our goal was to get back to our winning ways and we’ve done that,” he said. “We just need to continue to play well this week.”

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/279024/122/

STANG RED
09-30-2010, 01:53 PM
I'll take the home boys in a close one. They need a win against a good quality opponent, and they seem to be on a pretty good role now. Go Gitum Sweetwater Mustangs.:cheerl:

Bruce
09-30-2010, 01:57 PM
After doing some checking I see were Monahans won 35-7 over Sweetwater, and Monahans won over Midland Christian 49-7. This could be a very even matched two teams, if the scores mean anything. Best of luck to Sweetwater.Thanks!

garciap77
10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Sweetwater all the way!!!!!

garciap77
10-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'll take the home boys in a close one. They need a win against a good quality opponent, and they seem to be on a pretty good role now. Go Gitum Sweetwater Mustangs.:cheerl:

Sweetwater going to the playoffs this year! Heck of a job the coach is doing. He did very well at Clyde too! Go luck Stang; the rest of the season! See you at the game! :)