PDA

View Full Version : State Champs in 08 and in 09

OldNavy
09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
And there people in Prosper and Pilot Point are complaining about their coaches!

I don't know either coach, but I know that winning a state championship is not easy or everyone would be doing it. It had been a long time since Pilot Point had won one and Prosper never had. How is it that there is unhappiness with coaches this soon after winning it all?

bowleghorses
09-30-2010, 11:50 AM
In Prosper, Coach Scott was under .500 when he took over. He had two really good classes in 08 and 09. I guess the people are wondering if he can maintain the high level after a few losses.

OldNavy
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
In Prosper, Coach Scott was under .500 when he took over. He had two really good classes in 08 and 09. I guess the people are wondering if he can maintain the high level after a few losses.

So you hire a sub 500 coach to take these two good classes to a state championship and he does and now you want a better coach to handle classes that are not as good? Is that it?

bowleghorses
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by OldNavy
So you hire a sub 500 coach to take these two good classes to a state championship and he does and now you want a better coach to handle classes that are not as good? Is that it?

Not me, just making an observation. I don't live there, and it does not matter to me.

PPSTATEBOUND
09-30-2010, 12:00 PM
And there people in Prosper and Pilot Point are complaining about their coaches!

I don't know either coach, but I know that winning a state championship is not easy or everyone would be doing it. It had been a long time since Pilot Point had won one and Prosper never had. How is it that there is unhappiness with coaches this soon after winning it all?

Some of Pilot Points best talent is walking the halls...

2004 G.A's last year....100-110 two a days in PP

2010 Feldts latest year 55

PP is 3A now and needs 3A numbers to compete at the highest levels of 3A.

Drumming up only 55 kids wont cut it these days. IMO and needs to be examined, without a knee jerk of blaming the kids.:thinking:

bowleghorses
09-30-2010, 12:08 PM

The classes coming up could be even better but after you win a SC, expectations get very high and if you don't maintain a high rate of play, people start talking. By the way...Coach Scott seams to be a very nice man and I wish him the best of luck...Go Eagles.:clap:

Bruce
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
That old saying goes, its harder staying on top, than getting on top ,once you win one.Thanks!

gatordaze
09-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Some of Pilot Points best talent is walking the halls...

2004 G.A's last year....100-110 two a days in PP

2010 Feldts latest year 55

PP is 3A now and needs 3A numbers to compete at the highest levels of 3A.

Drumming up only 55 kids wont cut it these days. IMO and needs to be examined, without a knee jerk of blaming the kids.:thinking:

Here is the problem with High School as I see it.

In college and the NFL you can be a Bill Parcels kind of guy as your players are being paid or have been recruited to play the game. It is the coaches job to win and the best of them for the most part might even be considered A-holes in the personality department.

In High School kids are playing for the most part to be part of something, hang out with friends and to have fun. Many think that winning is fun and that is why they are there, many are playing because that is what is expected of them. many will play only while things are going well. They darn sure aren't motivated by money, an education, or fame unless they are a stud and know that HS is a stepping stone. when a coach with a college/pro mentality comes along and mixes with kids that just want to be part of it all, some decide it is not worth it.

It would be hard to be the only one on the sideline but as a few buddies make that decision as well, pretty soon its not so bad to hang with you friends on Friday Night and not have to put up with the Drill Sargent all week.

Not saying that Coach Feldt is a Drill Sargent just that he is an intense dude and maybe PP kids are not in to that for now.

55 of 200 potential boys really tells the story when just down the street they have 135 of 250 potential boys playing.

OldNavy
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
I suppose a coach could luck into having a couple of classes of athletes that could win a state championship without a quality coach. Don't think that happens very often. So, what would be the odds that that happened at Prosper and Pilot Point in the last two years?

Maybe these are pretty good coaches and need family, school and community support.

I know from my own observations that schools do not have storied winning programs by changing head coaches ever year or two. Perhaps someone has observed differently. My point is here are two coaches with State Championships under their belt, and they are either good, or they were very lucky. How long do you support them to find out if they were good?

Bearcat
09-30-2010, 12:44 PM
There is much more to being a GOOD COACH than winning and losing

gatordaze
09-30-2010, 12:47 PM
I suppose a coach could luck into having a couple of classes of athletes that could win a state championship without a quality coach. Don't think that happens very often. So, what would be the odds that that happened at Prosper and Pilot Point in the last two years?

Maybe these are pretty good coaches and need family, school and community support.

I know from my own observations that schools do not have storied winning programs by changing head coaches ever year or two. Perhaps someone has observed differently. My point is here are two coaches with State Championships under their belt, and they are either good, or they were very lucky. How long do you support them to find out if they were good?

Barry Switzer?

RoyceTTU
09-30-2010, 12:48 PM
I suppose a coach could luck into having a couple of classes of athletes that could win a state championship without a quality coach. Don't think that happens very often.

I like to call this the Barry Switzer effect.

RoyceTTU
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Barry Switzer?

you beat me to the punch:D

OldNavy
09-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat
There is much more to being a GOOD COACH than winning and losing

I will agree with that, but how many schools are willing to stick with a good person who does not win football games. It seems some Prosper posters are concerned with winning, and I'm sorry but if Pilot Point was 5-0 I don't think we would be seeing some of these posts. I could be wrong, but doubt it.

PPSTATEBOUND
09-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I will agree with that, but how many schools are willing to stick with a good person who does not win football games. It seems some Prosper posters are concerned with winning, and I'm sorry but if Pilot Point was 5-0 I don't think we would be seeing some of these posts. I could be wrong, but doubt it.

Your'e wrong.:)

OldNavy
09-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Your'e wrong.:)

So, this isn't a new complaint? I didn't remember seeing any of these posts last year when Pilot Point had 85 out for 2-a-days, and won the state championship.

PPSTATEBOUND
09-30-2010, 01:08 PM
So, this isn't a new complaint? I didn't remember seeing any of these posts last year when Pilot Point had 85 out for 2-a-days, and won the state championship.

LOL...because they had 56 out and you could have coached that team to a 2A Championship.....:D

We are 3A now and these numbers will not cut it.

OldNavy
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
LOL...because they had 56 out and you could have coached that team to a 2A Championship.....:D

You may be right. I know Coach Feldt was hired into a mess that was not his creation and he has had some success, perhaps not in the preferred way. And, Prosper's coach has done what no other has ever come close to doing in Prosper and people are unhappy, perhaps rightfully so. I am just reminded of a saying my dad used to say; "They wouldn't be happy if they were hung with a new rope!"

I wish the best for both these schools. I have been very pleased to see them be competitive and hope they remain so, and that the kids benefit from their participation.

PPSTATEBOUND
09-30-2010, 01:23 PM
You may be right. I know Coach Feldt was hired into a mess that was not his creation and he has had some success, perhaps not in the preferred way. And, Prosper's coach has done what no other has ever come close to doing in Prosper and people are unhappy, perhaps rightfully so. I am just reminded of a saying my dad used to say; "They wouldn't be happy if they were hung with a new rope!"

I wish the best for both these schools. I have been very pleased to see them be competitive and hope they remain so, and that the kids benefit from their participation.

I wish the kids the best also...Most in community are not blinded by the State Trophy, his coach of the year award or a monthly paycheck and know something is a mess when looking in the stands, hearing about low numbers, and watching the swinging door of coaches go in and out on a yearly basis....That mess does not start at the bottom and work its way up I promise you.

I'm done.:D

OldNavy
09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I wish the kids the best also...Most in community are not blinded by the State Trophy, his coach of the year award or a monthly paycheck and know something is a mess when looking in the stands, hearing about low numbers, and watching the swinging door of coaches go in and out on a yearly basis....That mess does not start at the bottom and work its way up I promise you.

I'm done.:D

Thanks PPSB, I know you are a big fan of PP football. Appreciate your insight. All the best.

OldNavy
09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by bowleghorses

He's above 500 now!

sic'em
10-01-2010, 08:03 AM
I have seen both teams this year and the one I can't figure out is Prosper. They have an insane amount of talent on that team and they look awful on offense. PP went from the speediest team in school history to one of the slowest, and the preseason scheduling was ridiculous.
As for the original post, if things aren't good in PP it will be interesting to see what happens if they go from a state championship to the first losing season in 33 years. I don't think that will happen but it would be interesting...

peagle
10-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I think that in winning State in Prosper you had a special mix of kids. Also, a different set of assistant coaches under Scott. If there is one thing that has to happen it is for the head coach to lead his staff and players. What the problem might be is that his defensive coordinator was the coach that really handled the mental aspect with the players.
Coaching is not a one man show,but the head coach will be the one that takes the brunt of it...
The week they have had time to address the issues-let's see where Scott takes these boys next week.
You have to look at the amount of move ins that destroy team chemistry. I think Scott might of gone with the wrong approach on new kids

OldNavy
10-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by sic'em
I have seen both teams this year and the one I can't figure out is Prosper. They have an insane amount of talent on that team and they look awful on offense. PP went from the speediest team in school history to one of the slowest, and the preseason scheduling was ridiculous...

In defense of scheduling at Prosper, a coach does not always have the luxury of writing his ideal schedule. Perhaps that is more true when the school is perceived to be a powerhouse as Prosper was considered going into this season.

OldNavy
10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by peagle
I think that in winning State in Prosper you had a special mix of kids. Also, a different set of assistant coaches under Scott. If there is one thing that has to happen it is for the head coach to lead his staff and players. What the problem might be is that his defensive coordinator was the coach that really handled the mental aspect with the players.
Coaching is not a one man show,but the head coach will be the one that takes the brunt of it...
The week they have had time to address the issues-let's see where Scott takes these boys next week.
You have to look at the amount of move ins that destroy team chemistry. I think Scott might of gone with the wrong approach on new kids

LOL lots of people on this board think move ins are a blessing and not a problem. But, I understand your point. Also, having a couple of good players, or a good player and a great player move out did not help either.

OldNavy
10-01-2010, 11:10 AM
All this goes back to the original point of this thread, it is not easy to win a state championship. I dare say there are a lot of excellent coaches out there that have never won a state championship.

Were these coaches just lucky the stars aligned for them, or are they good coaches and just a little unlucky this year?

I know people have expectations, from each community, but are they realistic? Bruce commented that it is hard to stay on top once you get there. I think that is true. It may be more fun as a player to strive for the goal of winning than having the expectation of winning all the time and playing not to lose.

peagle
10-01-2010, 01:03 PM
All this goes back to the original point of this thread, it is not easy to win a state championship. I dare say there are a lot of excellent coaches out there that have never won a state championship.

Were these coaches just lucky the stars aligned for them, or are they good coaches and just a little unlucky this year?

I know people have expectations, from each community, but are they realistic? Bruce commented that it is hard to stay on top once you get there. I think that is true. It may be more fun as a player to strive for the goal of winning than having the expectation of winning all the time and playing not to lose.

I agree no team can be expected to win state every year even Celina. It has a lot too do with team expectations. there was no expectation for the state team. They were actually called out as the team that would go no where. funny things motivate teenagers. They were smash mouth defense and a line that could make a whole a truck could drive through it was about desire. Coaches need to guide kids to find this motivation. Motivation can take you as far as talent and often further....Just look at the Cowboys lol

sic'em
10-01-2010, 05:39 PM
My response on scheduling was referring to PP not Prosper. Prosper's wasn't easy, but PP's was insane.

OldNavy
11-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Prosper is in the second round of the playoffs and Pilot Point missed the playoffs. Have thoughts on the coaches changed?

Bearcat
11-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Time for Change:devil:

PPSTATEBOUND
11-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Whitesboro at PP Senior night.....Stands 1/4 full, the 1-8 Whitesboro fields more fans...Admin blinders on and in full throttle.

55 kids Participating in 2010 two-a-days-Football :doh:

70 kids turn out for the first taste of Tennis 2010....:eek:

Yeah its time.:hairpunk:

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Whitesboro at PP Senior night.....Stands 1/4 full, the 1-8 Whitesboro fields more fans...Admin blinders on and in full throttle.

55 kids Participating in 2010 two-a-days-Football :doh:

70 kids turn out for the first taste of Tennis 2010....:eek:

Yeah its time.:hairpunk:

is it proven that the numbers are down because the kids dont like the HC? Do they not like him for the right reasons or the wrong reasons? Maybe this is just a group of boys who are not as into football as past and future classes?

Just things to ponder

PPSTATEBOUND
11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
is it proven that the numbers are down because the kids dont like the HC?

Lets make this simple.......YES!:D and for the right reason...Can you say get out of my face already..you have already busted my ears drums and I now have your dribble all over my face mask and face.:eek:

Black Swarm
11-17-2010, 11:46 AM
If I am correct Prosper's state year they were loaded with seniors.
I believe entire o-line and quarterback were all seniors.
Graduate that heavy and its hard to duplicate the same results.

Pendragon13
11-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Sometimes winning can be a double edged sword. After you dominate and win it all...anything less is a let-down to the fans/town and they get impatient.

Pendragon13
11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Black Swarm
If I am correct Prosper's state year they were loaded with seniors.
I believe entire o-line and quarterback were all seniors.
Graduate that heavy and its hard to duplicate the same results. Exactly what happened to Wylie. 41 seniors last year with only 2 juniors that saw significant playing time in 09. Even when the game was won at halftime and mass subs were made, the second teamers were mostly seniors that didn't earn a starting job but were still a bit better than the younger guys.

buckeyebob
11-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Same boat for us...graduated 31...that included starters & back-ups....struggling this year...but still here in Round 2...hopefully will beat Van this week & face Prosper or Argyle next.
We are having to do it with 3 returning starters and not a single player on the team is playing where they were last year. We are very lucky to have a homer coach, young (21 years of experience), dynamic, very bright, and wants to stay in Gilmer...he has been offered and passed on Southlake Carrol, Coppel, as well as several other great opportunities. I asked a bud who is on the School Board why he voted for Traylor when they were interviewing him. He said he asked, "What are your future plans?" Traylor's reply was to "watch his grandkids play football on a filed that was named after him". No doubt, the field will be named after him.

OldNavy
11-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
Same boat for us...graduated 31...that included starters & back-ups....struggling this year...but still here in Round 2...hopefully will beat Van this week & face Prosper or Argyle next.
We are having to do it with 3 returning starters and not a single player on the team is playing where they were last year. We are very lucky to have a homer coach, young (21 years of experience), dynamic, very bright, and wants to stay in Gilmer...he has been offered and passed on Southlake Carrol, Coppel, as well as several other great opportunities. I asked a bud who is on the School Board why he voted for Traylor when they were interviewing him. He said he asked, "What are your future plans?" Traylor's reply was to "watch his grandkids play football on a filed that was named after him". No doubt, the field will be named after him.

There you go! No new coach every two to three years, a coach dedicated to his family, school and community! It ain't easy, or everyone would be doing it!