PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Suspended for UT Gunman Tweets

IrishTex
09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I appreciate the way Bob Stoops handled this...

Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. - Oklahoma has suspended receiver Jaz Reynolds indefinitely after he posted what coach Bob Stoops called "insensitive remarks" on his Twitter page about a gunman who committed suicide on the University of Texas campus.

An account with the handle JazReynolds posted the message, "Hey everyone in Austin, tx.......kill yourself" on Tuesday, the day of the suicide, followed by a disregard request 5 minutes later. The account was deactivated Wednesday.

Stoops says he is "incredibly disappointed that someone connected with our team would react so callously."

Reynolds, who has no catches this season, will miss at least Saturday's game between the eighth-ranked Sooners and No. 21 Texas in Dallas.

Stoops says that the "rivalry with Texas will not come at the expense of dignity and respect."

Link (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/sports/ncaa_football/092910-sooner-suspended-for-ut-gunman-tweets)

Old Tiger
09-29-2010, 05:09 PM
A sooner being unclassy....I don't believe it!

BullsFan
09-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Good for Stoops. Gotta respect that.

DDBooger
09-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Wonder if he'll take his "job" at the dealership away. :D

wimbo_pro
09-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Funny...when a UT student makes an inappropriate joke about the newly elected President, he is released fom the team, his scholarship revoked, his life changed. When an OU student encourages killing of human beings in a callous and despicable way , he is suspended? WHAT???

Pudlugger
09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Funny...when a UT student makes an inappropriate joke about the newly elected President, he is released fom the team, his scholarship revoked, his life changed. When an OU student encourages killing of human beings in a callous and despicable way , he is suspended? WHAT???

Ditto. They came down on that kid like a palate of bricks. It was stupid but man the response was way out of line. I feel very sorry for that young man who paid a tremendous price for mouthing off. That's what young men do you know, mouth off. I hear he is working now and not attending UT. Meanwhile our President has shut down the Gulf Coast economy with his offshore drilling embargo causing more economic damage than the oil spill (Google Senator Landrieu's (D LA) resent press release). :mad:

Maroon87
09-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Coach em up, Choke Job Bob...

Rock66
09-30-2010, 12:10 AM
It is incredible how much social network sites change lives. In the last four or five years it seems like once or twice a year a young man or woman makes the mistake of putting something inappropriate on the Internet. The most apparent stories are the student athletes because of their public status. What is less talked about but equally important to today's average young person is that employers are now looking at social network sites/individuals profiles prior to interviews/hiring in order to truly find out what kind of person they are truly dealing with. The whole thing should be scratched in my opinion. Too much temptation and too much at risk for our young people...

Old Dog
09-30-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm not really a huge UT fan, but the kid from Texas should not have been set down so hard. You gotta remember just how young these kids are. Just shake um up a bit, don't screw them out of their future....................

Old Tiger
09-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Even if they wouldn't have been so hard on Buck Burnette could you imagine how his team mates would have received them seeing as a vast majority of them are black. He would have also been in Mack's dog house for forever and that is a hard place to come out of once your in it. Although I think letting him go set their offensive line back a few years in progression because he was slated to be starting center for the Horns his RS soph or true sophomore year. When he was kicked off that forced the coaching staff to play musical chairs with all of the linemen on the roster as far as the depth chart was concerned.

In short, Wimberely holla!