PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thought on the Spread O

CHS_89
09-28-2010, 08:57 PM
I cannot take all the credit for this, but it got me to thinking. Today on the Ticket in Dallas, they were talking about the Texas and UCLA game. They brought up an interesting discussion. Since the intro of the spread offense, many teams have had to adjust defenses to continuously stopping the pass first then the run (they were mainly referring to the Big 12).

With that said, their opinion of why UCLA had success running the ball against texas is because of the way defenses have had to constantly prepare for the spread offense. When Texas struggled against the UCLA pistol offense and that style of running game, it was their thoughts that the defense may have been unprepared for that style of offense because of having to stop the pass first over and over again against spread offenses, which they see a lot of.

I am not saying I agree with the above, but it is interesting to think about. My question is, does this filter down into high school ball as well? Don't beat me up too much, LOL!

Good luck to all teams this week!

LH Panther Mom
09-28-2010, 09:04 PM
That's similar to what the sports guy on one of Austin's stations said. His comment was that most high school players are so accustomed to flag football (his words, not mine!) that they're ill-prepared for knocking the crap out of folks & smash mouth games.

Txbroadcaster
09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I think UT's offense being so bad and UT's defense on the field for so long wore them out more than UCLA running and Texas D not used to

LH Panther Mom
09-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think UT's offense being so bad and UT's defense on the field for so long wore them out more than UCLA running and Texas D not used to
Well, you could be right but the radio guy did play for UT back in the day. :p

Txbroadcaster
09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Well, you could be right but the radio guy did play for UT back in the day. :p

LOL..well a certaoin group of football folks want to make the spread as soft as possible so they look for any reason to blame the spread

UCLA had 77 total yards in the first half and only 5 first downs.

they finished with 291 total yards...That 2nd half the UT defense wore down.

NOW you can say Texas does not have alot of SIZE on Dline because they are geared for speed rushing and getting to the edge quickly

CHS_89
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
LOL..well a certaoin group of football folks want to make the spread as soft as possible so they look for any reason to blame the spread

UCLA had 77 total yards in the first half and only 5 first downs.

they finished with 291 total yards...That 2nd half the UT defense wore down.

NOW you can say Texas does not have alot of SIZE on Dline because they are geared for speed rushing and getting to the edge quickly

Interesting and thanks for the replies. If you are smaller on the D-line and geared for speed rushing, that lilkely makes you more succeptable to a primarily running offense that will grind it out the entire game. Sounds like defenses are evolving.

Txbroadcaster
09-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Interesting and thanks for the replies. If you are smaller on the D-line and geared for speed rushing, that lilkely makes you more succeptable to a primarily running offense that will grind it out the entire game. Sounds like defenses are evolving.

yes u can be wore down IF your O is not staying on the field..but smaller DL can give FITS to a power running game OL

You get those quicker DL slanting into the gaps and the OL cant move as fast to the point of attack and the run game is going nowhere

BEAST
09-28-2010, 09:34 PM
I think there is some truth to this. I think it is exactly what plaqued Brownwood in 08. We were so accustomed to playing almost exclusively against spread teams. The offense was not our problem. We could not stop the run at all. However, with the exception of 1 or 2 teams a year, in 4A we rarely saw a power running team. We've corrected that now.

BEAST

Ernest T Bass
09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
The more you see something, the better you get at adjusting to it. That applies to anything in life, football included. But, Im kinda thinking the turnovers by Texas had alot to do with the loss.

BILLYFRED0000
09-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
The more you see something, the better you get at adjusting to it. That applies to anything in life, football included. But, Im kinda thinking the turnovers by Texas had alot to do with the loss.

They did but the D never really showed up. Good d can make up for turnovers but average D cannot.

Txbroadcaster
09-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
They did but the D never really showed up. Good d can make up for turnovers but average D cannot.

The Texas D showed up in first half..held UCLA to 77 yards

Old Tiger
09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
I think UT's offense being so bad and UT's defense on the field for so long wore them out more than UCLA running and Texas D not used to i also think this

Bullaholic
09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
If you don't stop a running team---they will score. If you don't stop a spread team---they will beat you.

Old Tiger
09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
I think there is some truth to this. I think it is exactly what plaqued Brownwood in 08. We were so accustomed to playing almost exclusively against spread teams. The offense was not our problem. We could not stop the run at all. However, with the exception of 1 or 2 teams a year, in 4A we rarely saw a power running team. We've corrected that now.

BEAST No yall were just terrible.

Old Tiger
09-29-2010, 10:46 AM
The Texas D showed up in first half..held UCLA to 77 yards They also gave short field to the offense to only get 6 points out of it.