PDA

View Full Version : Wind Turbine Blades

Bullaholic
09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Just passed a couple of flat-beds going thru Bridgeport and headed West carrying (2) each of those wind turbine blades. Man, those things are huge. They can hardly swing around corners to turn on the highway.

MUSTANG69
09-29-2010, 07:02 AM
You should stand next to a wind turbine and then you will realize just how big they are. It is amazing.

PPSTATEBOUND
09-29-2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39324391/ns/us_news-environment/

This picture/article will shed some light on how massive these puppies are.

baseballcoach13
09-29-2010, 09:11 AM
There are hundreds of them at the Port in Freeport. Unreal how big they are.

AP Panther Fan
09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I actually enjoy driving to Taft now since we have to drive through the wind farm area.

I am always curious as to why only certain turbines are running. I know there are electrical boxes at the bottom of each, but don't understand exactly how the process works. I assume it takes electricity to get them started and then they generate electricity and collect/meter/do whatever...with the boxes? Don't everyone shake their heads in unison at my lack of knowledge.;)

Maroon87
09-29-2010, 11:18 AM
There's a warehouse near Whataburger Field in CC (right across from Brewsters) that has a supply yard full of them.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I actually enjoy driving to Taft now since we have to drive through the wind farm area.

I am always curious as to why only certain turbines are running. I know there are electrical boxes at the bottom of each, but don't understand exactly how the process works. I assume it takes electricity to get them started and then they generate electricity and collect/meter/do whatever...with the boxes? Don't everyone shake their heads in unison at my lack of knowledge.;) was going to Taft today from Portland and one car was driving and stick out his hand with camera and went off the road :doh: they were ok but it can be distracting for drivers that havent seen them that close.

AP Panther Fan
09-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
was going to Taft today from Portland and one car was driving and stick out his hand with camera and went off the road :doh: they were ok but it can be distracting for drivers that havent seen them that close.

Darn, I didn't think anyone saw me!:evillol:

sinton66
09-29-2010, 11:58 PM

I am always curious as to why only certain turbines are running. I know there are electrical boxes at the bottom of each, but don't understand exactly how the process works. I assume it takes electricity to get them started and then they generate electricity and collect/meter/do whatever...with the boxes? Don't everyone shake their heads in unison at my lack of knowledge.;)

Not positive, but I think they require a small "excitation" voltage and then the wind does the rest. I would guess each unit generates a certain amount of electricity. Once they are on the grid, demand probably determines how many of them run.

MUSTANG69
09-30-2010, 06:58 AM

Some of the turbines are not turning because they are not complete, they require maintenance and maybe demand is not high at that time.

SintonFan
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
was going to Taft today from Portland and one car was driving and stick out his hand with camera and went off the road :doh: they were ok but it can be distracting for drivers that havent seen them that close.

I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often. They are very distracting. It's hard not to gawk at them when you drive by.:doh:

AP Panther Fan
09-30-2010, 12:51 PM

With all of the recent rains, running off the road into those fields is probably not a good idea. If you hydroplaned, you might get the opportunity to see a turbine up really close. They really aren't that far from the highway.