PDA

View Full Version : Does this offensive philosphy even make sense?

Old Tiger
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
“We started the ballgame with the idea that we wanted to make Team B work from side-to-side. When you do that, you’re not going to be as vertical as you are with play-action or whatever. All of that (horizontal passing) was play-calling because of the way we wanted to start the ball game. The idea was we wanted to go at a fast-tempo going from side-to-side. We felt that would work to our advantage.”

Later on tonight I will let you know whose philosophy this was.

Ernest T Bass
09-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Yes, that means you're trying to attack the edges. Maybe you have a speed advantage. Maybe they're weak at the corners and strong at the safeties. Maybe you can get a mismatch. Maybe they're just better than you upfront and you're only hope is to attack the outside and try to get to the edge.

jason
09-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger

Later on tonight I will let you know whose philosophy this was. i know
gd

BullsFan
So the offensive plan is to throw side to side on short passes? All night? It seems to me that would only make sense if you're trying to draw the defense in so you can eventually throw the long ball. Or I guess it would make sense if your long game isn't working. But even then, you're going to have to mix it up with some rushing. I am admittedly not a football player and never have been, but the short side pass is one of my least favorite plays. Too many times I've seen a receiver catch the ball just short of the down marker and never make it further. Defense is pretty quick to pick up on that too if they've got a halfway decent DC.

Originally posted by jason
i know

Ooooh. If that's who it is, is that really a philosophy or an excuse?

runtowin
In order to score I believe you have to move forward. Side to side just takes you out of bounds

Ernest T Bass
09-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Quick passing game typically gives you one on one, so if the WR can make the corner miss, he can usually pick up substantial yardage. It's not a horrible plan, but I dont think Id live and die by it.

Trashman
09-28-2010, 10:24 AM
:mad: Wade!:mad: :thinking: :D

FbCoachB40
09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
I have seen this philosophy work time and time again...it is used when team A is far more athletic and fast than Team B. It is also good when team A has more depth than team B (get them as tired as possible in the first half).

I have seen very athletic teams like Wharton run this philosophy vs. a slower power team like Needville.

When Wharton used that philosophy vs. Needville, they were 6-0 with a couple blow outs.

Bullaholic
09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Did this individual also call back-to-back quick-out passes to the same WR? :D

BILLYFRED0000
09-28-2010, 11:14 AM
“We started the ballgame with the idea that we wanted to make Team B work from side-to-side. When you do that, you’re not going to be as vertical as you are with play-action or whatever. All of that (horizontal passing) was play-calling because of the way we wanted to start the ball game. The idea was we wanted to go at a fast-tempo going from side-to-side. We felt that would work to our advantage.”

Later on tonight I will let you know whose philosophy this was.

Yeah this makes sense use the short field get the ball out quick to your playmakers on the edges where they only have to beat one or two guys. Takes the pressure off of your O line to hold a long pass block and lets your QB stand up most of the night. It is mainly used for a QB with suspect decision making over the middle of the field and or a suspect line that does not hold well up the middle. Sprint left and right and throw short or run.

Tsip85
09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Sounds like Greg Davis' game plan. Except he forgets the part where you're eventually supposed to go verticle!

BullBoy
09-28-2010, 12:14 PM
i'm going to try this on madden.

GrTigers6
09-28-2010, 12:20 PM
A few years ago Kennedale use to do this quite often. they would set up triple right and the farthest reciever would come in towards the qb and catch a screen behind the other two and it was off to the races if the other recievers made their blocks. it was hard to defend if your safeties werent very fast. It didnt help that there reciever was 6'3" and fast as lightning. It all depends on the blocks and the corners ability to get off the block. Very fun to watch.

kaorder1999
09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
i take the term "work side to side" as a way to tire down the front 7. Quick screens, swing passes, etc. Making the DLine work side to side takes away some of their aggression and can wear them out.

BILLYFRED0000
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i take the term "work side to side" as a way to tire down the front 7. Quick screens, swing passes, etc. Making the DLine work side to side takes away some of their aggression and can wear them out.

Yes sir it do that. Makes them start looking laterally instead of upfield. Then hit em in the mouth with a quick hitter to see if they are asleep.

pirate4state
09-28-2010, 02:02 PM
It wears me out watching that when it doesn't work :D but when it does work, it sure is fun! :nerd:

Daddy D 11
09-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Greg Davis

Old Tiger
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Greg Davis

Originally posted by Tsip85
Sounds like Greg Davis' game plan. Except he forgets the part where you're eventually supposed to go verticle!

We have a couple of smart people here. Team A is UCLA and those were comments from Greg Davis following the game this past Saturday.

BwdLions
09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Greg Davis has problems with adapting his coaching to his players talents. He also is terrible at in-game adjustments. I'm just glad ou is having problems of their own. This game is a toss-up.

LHdog
09-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Gregg Davis is an offensive football dolt (just my opinion). He must have photos or negatives of a compromised Mac because Mac will never replace him. He has skated for years based on the sheer volumn of talent at Texas. He does less with more than any OC in Div 1.

Bullaholic
09-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Question: Are Greg Davis and Jason Garrett the same person leading a double life? :D

sinton66
09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Did Greg Davis fumble the ball four times? Hard to beat anybody when you give up four turnovers no matter what scheme your using.

Old Tiger
09-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Did Greg Davis fumble the ball four times? Hard to beat anybody when you give up four turnovers no matter what scheme your using. Did Greg Davis put them in a situation to win when that game plan was obviously not working? Did Greg Davis continue to run that game plan?

Txbroadcaster
09-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Davis is frustrating at times..but then other times he comes out with a perfect game plan( OU 2008)

As far as does he deserve to be the OC?...I dont know..Texas usually is in the top 5-10 in offense..he has had a variety of QB styles in his tenure and all at some point were succesful.

He has had power back and speed backs in his offense that have been succesful..he has had plenty of succesful WRs/TEs

I think this year the problem is there is no reliable weapon for Garrett to go to. Colt had SO MANY weapons..yet go look at his first 5 games

Fans of Texas seem to gloss over their legends troubles and act like they never had bad games or parts of seasons.

SintonFan
09-28-2010, 09:02 PM
We have a couple of smart people here. Team A is UCLA and those were comments from Greg Davis following the game this past Saturday.

Woah!:eek:
I thought you have to be "smaht" to recognize "smahts"...:eek: :p

Tx Challenge
09-28-2010, 09:40 PM
First off, those who know me know that I am an Auburn fan first then a SEC fan next, so flame away..

I follow UT and have a serious question. UT lost a lot of talent from last year. They have plenty of talent in the system and they will be a national force soon. My question is, Does any true UT fan feel going in this year that they would be as good as last year? Again, take emotions out. I thought this year they may take a hit or two. I think they are a lot better than most think, and can turn 1 loss around. It all depends on how they respond this weekend. Thoughts? Flames?

Txbroadcaster
09-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
First off, those who know me know that I am an Auburn fan first then a SEC fan next, so flame away..

I follow UT and have a serious question. UT lost a lot of talent from last year. They have plenty of talent in the system and they will be a national force soon. My question is, Does any true UT fan feel going in this year that they would be as good as last year? Again, take emotions out. I thought this year they may take a hit or two. I think they are a lot better than most think, and can turn 1 loss around. It all depends on how they respond this weekend. Thoughts? Flames?

I did not..BUT I dont think anyone saw the butt whooping coming from UCLA and in the manner that they did.

From the beginning I felt OU was a toss up I think Nebraska will beat UT and A&M is a toss up

Tx Challenge
09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I did not..BUT I dont think anyone saw the butt whooping coming from UCLA and in the manner that they did.

From the beginning I felt OU was a toss up I think Nebraska will beat UT and A&M is a toss up

OU Kicked Fl State but really have not done much since. AF played them a hell of a game. Think about that.

Nebraska might be for real.

Man I didnt see the UCLA azz whooping. That shocked me. Dont know if UT looked past it, but that has to be as bad as they have look in the past 7 years. Still, they need to regroup. They have the talent to win it all. I just think there is some growing to do. This year might be the year they mature

eagles_victory
09-28-2010, 10:03 PM
What has frustrated me all year was to try to shift the offense this past offseason into more of a running offense and not the spread team they have been in the past. Just doesn't make any to me. They don't have the physical talent up front to do it nor do they have a top level back for that kind of offense. I don't get it because Gilbert has always been a spread offensive QB. Just don't understand why make the change if it isn't broke why fix it esp. when it doesnt fit the talent of your team. I dont know why they wanted to put the TE in the offense so bad I've seen all I care to see of oven mits out there at TE.

Tx Challenge
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
What has frustrated me all year was to try to shift the offense this past offseason into more of a running offense and not the spread team they have been in the past. Just doesn't make any to me. They don't have the physical talent up front to do it nor do they have a top level back for that kind of offense. I don't get it because Gilbert has always been a spread offensive QB. Just don't understand why make the change if it isn't broke why fix it esp. when it doesnt fit the talent of your team. I dont know why they wanted to put the TE in the offense so bad I've seen all I care to see of oven mits out there at TE.

Short answer...Colt was a runner, Gilbert doesnt have that.......Yet? Not Now? Ever? That issue has to be answered

Txbroadcaster
09-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Short answer...Colt was a runner, Gilbert doesnt have that.......Yet? Not Now? Ever? That issue has to be answered

But he did..Gilbert is as much as a runner as Colt was..Not sure again where it has been decided Gilbert cant move around..he ran for just under 800 yards his sr year

And Colt was not really a "runner" when he started..that is why Texas got aways from the pure zone read play

Old Tiger
09-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Davis is frustrating at times..but then other times he comes out with a perfect game plan( OU 2008)

As far as does he deserve to be the OC?...I dont know..Texas usually is in the top 5-10 in offense..he has had a variety of QB styles in his tenure and all at some point were succesful.

He has had power back and speed backs in his offense that have been succesful..he has had plenty of succesful WRs/TEs

I think this year the problem is there is no reliable weapon for Garrett to go to. Colt had SO MANY weapons..yet go look at his first 5 games

Fans of Texas seem to gloss over their legends troubles and act like they never had bad games or parts of seasons. He also underutilized what could have been and probably is the best tight end talent to ever come through the University of Texas in Jermichael Finley.

I think Gilbert needs to shorten up his steps on his drop back and keep his feet closer together when he makes throws and he will be that much more effective. When he throws his feet are far apart which causes lack of accuracy.

Txbroadcaster
09-28-2010, 11:40 PM
He also underutilized what could have been and probably is the best tight end talent to ever come through the University of Texas in Jermichael Finley.

I think Gilbert needs to shorten up his steps on his drop back and keep his feet closer together when he makes throws and he will be that much more effective. When he throws his feet are far apart which causes lack of accuracy.

After the way he used David Thomas I dont think he under used Finley as much as Finley did not until his Jr year truly discover his ability and became consistent and a trusted TE

Old Tiger
09-28-2010, 11:45 PM
After the way he used David Thomas I dont think he under used Finley as much as Finley did not until his Jr year truly discover his ability and became consistent and a trusted TE

45 rec 575 yards 2 tds

I mean his numbers aren't bad from his junior year but with the talent level he has he could have been much more used in the red zone. You must also remember that 149 of those yards and 1 touchdown came in the Red River Rivalry.

Txbroadcaster
09-28-2010, 11:50 PM
45 rec 575 yards 2 tds

I mean his numbers aren't bad from his junior year but with the talent level he has he could have been much more used in the red zone. You must also remember that 149 of those yards and 1 touchdown came in the Red River Rivalry.

Again..we dont know who that is on..Davis or Finley..again with how they used Thomas I think it is a better chance that Finley was more of a problem than Davis just deciding not to use him.

It is kind of the same way with Bennett at Dallas AND A&M..it is always well why is he not blowing up the stats..because he is inconsitent and cant be trusted

Tx Challenge
09-28-2010, 11:51 PM
But he did..Gilbert is as much as a runner as Colt was..Not sure again where it has been decided Gilbert cant move around..he ran for just under 800 yards his sr year

And Colt was not really a "runner" when he started..that is why Texas got aways from the pure zone read play

Bingo! I agree Colt was not a runner at first. I didnt know Gilbert ran that well at Lake Travis, BUT Why not let him now? If you have never seen him play......Dude is for real....He is up to the task.....I just think the Horns have to be patient. No disrespect at all. I think they have the best overall talent in the country. Need to beat OU without doubt. If they do this, I think they win against the Cornhuskers. Bama and UT rematch? IDK SEC is tough : )

Old Tiger
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Bingo! I agree Colt was not a runner at first. I didnt know Gilbert ran that well at Lake Travis, BUT Why not let him now? If you have never seen him play......Dude is for real....He is up to the task.....I just think the Horns have to be patient. No disrespect at all. I think they have the best overall talent in the country. Need to beat OU without doubt. If they do this, I think they win against the Cornhuskers. Bama and UT rematch? IDK SEC is tough : ) Because Gilbert's back ups are two true freshmen. They have been preaching about being a more power run team but to do that you have to stick with it. A lot of people want them to abandon that but if you want to be that power run team you simply cannot and it will set your team back even further.

This season in games where the Longhorns have more rushing attempts than passing attempts they are undefeated. The lone loss came when they had more passing attempts than rushing attempts.

Txbroadcaster
09-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Bingo! I agree Colt was not a runner at first. I didnt know Gilbert ran that well at Lake Travis, BUT Why not let him now? If you have never seen him play......Dude is for real....He is up to the task.....I just think the Horns have to be patient. No disrespect at all. I think they have the best overall talent in the country. Need to beat OU without doubt. If they do this, I think they win against the Cornhuskers. Bama and UT rematch? IDK SEC is tough : )

people also forget Texas was going back to the run and so on Colt's Soph year and they struggled and went back to throwing it...same thing his Jr year, but went back to being spread out.

This team has recruited now for 6 years in the spread, you can just flip that switch over an off season.

Tx Challenge
09-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Tiger and Broadcaster.

I think both of you make great points. I am no expert on UT, but I think you guys are spot on. Lots of UT fans speak of emotion. UT will be a factor soon. I honestly dont think this year. Just as Auburn, I think most fans (BDR, You out there?) think we are a year off.

HOWEVER.....Beat OU this weekend though and I think you are set up for a NC game...Still my homer azz thinks a SEC team wins it all..

Tx Challenge
09-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Another thing. Wish I had the knowledge to record, save and post the local news here. You would think the UCLA win was the 2nd coming of Christ :rolleyes:

coach
09-29-2010, 12:35 AM

i disagree florida has the best overall talent in the NCAA

eagles_victory
09-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Terry is spot on with what he said about recruiting for the spread and trying to be a power running team it isn't going to work overnight. I just don't see why you make the change this year without a true top tier back. Next year with Malcolm Brown coming in I could see it more but this year the talent isn't there for it.

Another thing is why do you have to have a running QB to run the spread never quite understood that? I believe you can run the spread with a non mobile QB (not saying Garrett isnt that)

As for TX Challenge, I think the reason everyone is saying this could be Auburns year is because how favorable their schedule sets up plus Cam Newton is on of the best players in the country.

Tx Challenge
09-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by coach
i disagree florida has the best overall talent in the NCAA

Now you are in my zone! LOL UF isnt even the best in the SEC this year. SC should win the east. As much as it chokes me to say it, Bama has the best 2 backs in the country....I just threw up in my mouth saying that..

Tx Challenge
09-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Whoa EV.....I just saw that at the end of your post......Auburn fans DONT think this is our year. We think we are 1 year off. Cam is fresh and we love the guy but look at our remaining schedule. We HOPE to win 2 out of 3 ( ARK, Bama, LSU) and realistically that may not happen.....

Txbroadcaster
09-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Next year with Malcolm Brown coming in I could see it more but this year the talent isn't there for it.

Bingo...people forget before Peterson OU was as much TTech offense as anyone else..AD comes in all of a sudden those OL look like power blockers..why? AD made up for their mistakes with his ability. It breeds that confidence OL need to go hat on hate straight ahead and play power ball..it wont work if the OL does not have a RB behind them that can break the tackles of the OL mistakes simple as that

big daddy russ
09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd say that Auburn has the exact opposite problem that Texas has. We have our special player in place, at QB no less, but we need more talent. The defense is fast and physical, but gets caught out of position. The offensive line has been streaky (especially in the first quarter of games), and many of the line's flaws have been covered up by playcalling and having a backfield that includes Newton, McCalebb, Fannin, and Dyer. Malzahn has done a fantastic job of using screens, draws, and misdirections to keep opposing defenses from getting upfield, but that line is either going to have to fill in the gaps or we'll be exposed as we go further into SEC play.

Texas, meanwhile, has all the size and speed a team could ask for, but can't seem to get all that talent to work together.

I'm with TxChallenge. I'd be surprised if we finished with fewer than two losses, so a national championship probably isn't in the cards for us this year. Next year, however, is a different story altogether.

Tsip85
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I, too, understand that you can't change schemes and expect to be great over night. TX has to establish a running game because Davis' play calling is very predictible. Combine that with a one dimensional offense led by a young QB and young receivers and you have a recipe for disaster. In my opinion the problem is not what they are trying to accomplish, but HOW they are going about it. Texas can have a successful running game out of the spread or under center, but they should try using TWO backs. They have a stable of good athletes at TB. None of them are outstanding stars, but good enough none the less. Adding a 2nd back in the backfield slow down a defense becasue you have to account for the misdirection. When you know they are going to TRY to run the ball from under center, and you have only one back in the backfield...well we've seen the results.

I didn't expect TX to win a National Championship this year. In fact figured they'd probably take a couple of knocks. But not to the likes of UCLA who has been sorry up to this point. Their offense struggled against Rice and Wyoming. Right now they are just plain BAD. I am NOT looking forward to this weekend!

On that note...it's 1:15 and ou STILL SUCKS!!

Old Tiger
09-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Tsip85
I, too, understand that you can't change schemes and expect to be great over night. TX has to establish a running game because Davis' play calling is very predictible. Combine that with a one dimensional offense led by a young QB and young receivers and you have a recipe for disaster. In my opinion the problem is not what they are trying to accomplish, but HOW they are going about it. Texas can have a successful running game out of the spread or under center, but they should try using TWO backs. They have a stable of good athletes at TB. None of them are outstanding stars, but good enough none the less. Adding a 2nd back in the backfield slow down a defense becasue you have to account for the misdirection. When you know they are going to TRY to run the ball from under center, and you have only one back in the backfield...well we've seen the results.

I didn't expect TX to win a National Championship this year. In fact figured they'd probably take a couple of knocks. But not to the likes of UCLA who has been sorry up to this point. Their offense struggled against Rice and Wyoming. Right now they are just plain BAD. I am NOT looking forward to this weekend!

On that note...it's 1:15 and ou STILL SUCKS!! I think a DJ Monroe and Fozzy Whittaker would make a damn good and explosive backfield. I think on 3rd and long use Cody Johnson or Tre Newton as a 3rd down back would be very effective.