PDA

View Full Version : Sad day up in Newton: Coach Curtis Barbay dies of heart attact! merged

setxsports
09-25-2010, 08:19 PM
http://orangeleader.com/hssports/x1327128002/Newton-s-Barbay-dies-after-heart-attack

wimbo_pro
09-25-2010, 08:50 PM
And the bad news just keeps coming...this is sad to hear. My heart goes out to the the family and the school.

Old Cardinal
09-25-2010, 08:58 PM
NEWTON — Southeast Texas lost another football star Saturday. Longtime Newton head coach Curtis Barbay died Saturday at Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital in Beaumont after suffering a heart attack.

Barbay was 317-96-6 at Newton.

It had already been a hard week for Southeast Texas as the West Orange-Stark community said goodbye to quarterback Reggie Garrett on Saturday. Garrett’s funeral was Saturday, barely over a week after he collapsed and died Sept. 17 on the sideline of Dan R. Hooks Stadium.

West Orange-Stark coach Dan Hooks, who attended Garret’s funeral on Saturday, learned of Barbay’s death Saturday evening and was once again in a state of shock.

“He was a great coach,” Hooks said. “It’s a shame. I guess us old guys need to start taking care of ourselves but then again you don’t have to be old for this to happen.

“Southeast Texas has it rough right now. This will be a blow to Newton. I called up there and they said he died in a Beaumont Hospital.”

Hooks and his staff and teammates are still recovering from their own tragedy yet the Mustangs’ boss said they will open themselves up to whatever the Eagles now need after Barbay’s death.

Barbay was taken from the Eagles’ game this past Friday in an ambulance after collapsing.

Barbay was born in Port Arthur and graduated from Bishop Byrne High School. After attending Lamar University, Barbay started his coaching career as an assistant at Bishop Byrne in Port Arthur in 1965.

In 1968, he took an assistant job in Newton and replaced Lidney Thompson in 1974 as head coach. The Eagles won two state titles under Barbay, the last in 2005. Newton made the state championship three times under Barbay and the state semi-finals five times. Barbay’s teams reached the playoffs 28 times, including a current streak of 15 years in a row.

Barbay is survived by his wife Monday; two sons Brian who is the head coach at Coldspring High School and Darrell who is the head coach at Anahuac and daughter Kelly.

Newton was set to open the district schedule this Friday with a home game against East Chambers.

coach
09-25-2010, 10:22 PM
how old was he?

20FAN07
09-25-2010, 10:29 PM
He was 68

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/legendary_newton_coach_barbay_dies.html

pirate4state
09-25-2010, 10:36 PM
:(

Very sad news, may he rest in peace

WOS87
09-25-2010, 10:41 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Orange and Newton counties border each other.... VERY bad week there

My sincerest condolences and prayers to the Barbay family!!!!

BullsFan
09-25-2010, 10:43 PM
So so sorry to hear this. Prayers sent for family, team, and community.

marler1972
09-25-2010, 10:58 PM
hate to here of his passing he and my uncle were very good friends before my uncle passed away.....prayers from the Marler family.....

trojandad
09-26-2010, 12:15 AM
so sorry to hear, a man who loved coaching.......hard to come up with one more condolence after all lost this year.....

the team will be in good hands, coach walkoviak (sp?) is there....prayers for all there who need them.......

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by trojandad
so sorry to hear, a man who loved coaching.......hard to come up with one more condolence after all lost this year.....

I agree..been a sad tragic year for 3A

coach
09-26-2010, 02:33 AM
two men that passed away while doing what they love the most, football. RIP Coach

Maroon87
09-26-2010, 02:55 AM
:(

zebrablue2
09-26-2010, 07:41 AM
prayers sent to the family and community!!!

Old Cardinal
09-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Centuries ago we played scrimmages against a private school called Bishop Burns from Port Arthur, TX. Curtis was a Junior when I was a Senior.

He played inside linebacker a lot and also did some Quarterbacking. He and I finished college the same year.

He proved to be a most gifted Coach that helped a lot of boys get into college football!

trojandad
09-27-2010, 12:12 PM
did newton cancel their game this coming friday?

trojandad
09-27-2010, 12:19 PM
what a classy gesture from a head coach of a school known for usually ending up on the small end of a score...some big hearts in those blue uniforms....

Curtis Barbay, legendary Newton High School football coach and father of Coldspring Head Coach Bryan Barbay, died of a heart attack during a football game on September 25. Shepherd High School Athletic Director Bob Jones said he has reached out to Bryan Barbay in hopes of honoring the late coach at next week’s game - possibly creating a scholarship from money raised by next week’s match-up between Coldspring and Shepherd.

a quote from the cleveland advocate website.....what a great gesture to a grieving son who will have to bury his father AND get ready for a game....i can tell you personally its not like shepherd is a thriving school district that can afford throwing home gates away......i'm so very impressed with our in county brothers....

trojandad
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
ttt