PDA

View Full Version : Wimberleys dennis Smith out for season!

lbjacj
09-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Confirmed from his father.Broken bone in his foot.Out for the season.
He played the whole game with it!I hate most for him cause he is such a good kid.:(

wimbo_pro
09-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Any chance for the play offs?

lbjacj
09-25-2010, 07:49 PM
don't know just yet.

wimbo_pro
09-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Well...we will miss him badly. But you know, after the Reggie Garrett tragedy, I just can't really seem to get upset about this. Kind of a let down, true. But things could be far worse.

sports mom
09-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that. Smith is a very talented kid. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

wimbo_pro
09-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah..I think I saw him limping before the first play of the game or very soon after the start last night (dont remember), but then he played hard. I thought it was no big deal. I really dont think it happened in this game.

hollywood
09-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Wow, that's s tough loss for Wimberley. Even more importantly, I hate it for him. I'm sure he's frustrated already. Hope for the best, soon!!!

44INAROW
09-25-2010, 08:23 PM
hate it hear that.. :(

LE Dad
09-25-2010, 08:42 PM
:( Bad news...

gold_33
09-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Huge blow for us!! We should still be able to get through district easily, hear they're hoping he will be able to return by playoffs but its gonna be tough for us because he was such a big part on both sides of the ball.

44INAROW
09-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
Huge blow for us!! its gonna be tough for us because he was such a big part on both sides of the ball.
that hurts when a player is out that plays both sides of the ball - like losing 2 players in one shot.. Hope he makes a full recovery

Tin Cup
09-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Anyone who says injuries are just excuses are clueless...the injury bug can desimate a team quickly...sorry to hear about DS...very unfortunate but hopefully he will be back for playoffs...wimberley is a class team and program in my book

gold_33
09-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
that hurts when a player is out that plays both sides of the ball - like losing 2 players in one shot.. Hope he makes a full recovery

Yep, and losing a player of his caliber with Blakemore already out who plays both ways too its like us down 4 players. Hate to say it but our chances for a title are not likely without him playing, he's the difference maker on the team and can carry the O by himself when we are struggling. Not looking good for us, but fingers crossed for a speedy recovery but its not looking good at this point.

pirate4state
09-25-2010, 10:32 PM
wow :( i hate to hear that -- i hope he can return, he was fun to watch play!

wimbo_pro
09-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
wow :( i hate to hear that -- i hope he can return, he was fun to watch play!

Yes Pirate...he put on a real show Saturday night, didnt he? It was his best outing so far, and that was with a broken foot! Sad to hear. But...it is what it is. No excuses, we move forward and do our best.

By the way, nice meeting you and Gsquared and Sinton66.

BaseballUmp
09-25-2010, 11:40 PM
What grade is he?

Daddy D 11
09-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
What grade is he?

I think he is a senior.

Wow, Wimberley has pretty much lost all their playmakers. Rough season so far.

wimbo_pro
09-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Dennis Smith is a Junior.

sinton66
09-26-2010, 09:17 AM
This is a real shame and I pray for a speedy and complete recovery. This young man sure appeared to have a lot of heart as I watched him play against Sealy Friday night.

Caldwell_Raider
09-26-2010, 09:38 AM
This really is a downwer! Sorry to hear this Wimberley....

Hopefully he makes it back for the playoffs, and at least he's only a junior so he can have one more year to enjoy high school football....

Isn't he already committed to A&M?

wimbo_pro
09-26-2010, 09:39 AM
yes it is sinton66...did you notice him limping?

Snotbubbles
09-26-2010, 10:59 AM
He had a limp, and Nelms let him play both ways, the entire game? Does Wimberley have a trainer/doc on staff? Some smaller schools don't I know. Just curious why this wasn't noticed by the medical team/coaching staff, if you fans noticed it. Odd.

wimbo_pro
09-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
He had a limp, and Nelms let him play both ways, the entire game? Does Wimberley have a trainer/doc on staff? Some smaller schools don't I know. Just curious why this wasn't noticed by the medical team/coaching staff, if you fans noticed it. Odd.

I can only speculate. Yes, he was favoring one leg/ankle/foot as he walked around, and the ankle/foot seemed to be taped up to some degree, so I thought it was an ankle. But then, he ran like he has never run before...strong and fast, running people over and outrunning all pursuers . So, I thought it was just a "small" issue. But I must tell you, having three nephews go through that program...in my opinion, they are very weak at taking care of injuries and catching potentially serious issues when they are just forming. I think there is just one trainer for all the sports, and with VB going on now, plus all the levels of FB, its too much, really.

i have come to develop a strong respect for Nelms as a coach. But I must admit, I have personally seen things over the last 5 years regarding injuries that give me pause.

In no way am I blaming Nelms for this...for all I know, the injury happened on the 1st play of the game. I cant say I noticed it during warm ups either. I also dont know the specifics...maybe they took him in and had it checked out earlier...I just dont know. And you would of had to see Dennis run Friday night...no one would have thought it was broken. Plus, its possible he hurt it further on the last play of the game...I just dont know.

bulldog82
09-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
[BWhat grade is he? [/B]

better yet how old is he?

wimbo_pro
09-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Daddy D 11
09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by bulldog82
better yet how old is he?

lol that's funny

sinton66
09-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I can only speculate. Yes, he was favoring one leg/ankle/foot as he walked around, and the ankle/foot seemed to be taped up to some degree, so I thought it was an ankle. But then, he ran like he has never run before...strong and fast, running people over and outrunning all pursuers . So, I thought it was just a "small" issue. But I must tell you, having three nephews go through that program...in my opinion, they are very weak at taking care of injuries and catching potentially serious issues when they are just forming. I think there is just one trainer for all the sports, and with VB going on now, plus all the levels of FB, its too much, really.

i have come to develop a strong respect for Nelms as a coach. But I must admit, I have personally seen things over the last 5 years regarding injuries that give me pause.

In no way am I blaming Nelms for this...for all I know, the injury happened on the 1st play of the game. I cant say I noticed it during warm ups either. I also dont know the specifics...maybe they took him in and had it checked out earlier...I just dont know. And you would of had to see Dennis run Friday night...no one would have thought it was broken. Plus, its possible he hurt it further on the last play of the game...I just dont know.

I didn't notice the limp, but he sure didn't look hurt on the pick six or the tough runs I saw him make. Been a while since I've seen a HS kid run that tough.

wimbo_pro
09-26-2010, 10:57 PM
He personally told me it happened in the 2nd offensive drive of Wimberley...that would have been after his TD interception, as my memory serves me. He has surgery on Tuesday.

sinton66
09-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Hoping for the best for him.;)

BearBacker
09-27-2010, 07:00 AM
Sorry to hear this. He put it to us this year.

TexState86
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Very sorry to hear this. Praying for a quick recovery. What an exciting game that was Friday. Wimberley is well disciplined and well coached. To bad I was on the wrong side of this one. Made for a long ride home.

wimbo_pro
09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by TexState86
Very sorry to hear this. Praying for a quick recovery. What an exciting game that was Friday. Wimberley is well disciplined and well coached. To bad I was on the wrong side of this one. Made for a long ride home.

yeah, I wish it didnt end with the controversy...the kids played so hard and with class. I didnt see TOO much jawing going on...but I did see some from both sides. They seemed to have some respect for each other. I am getting the DVD of the game this week....gonna take another look!

957tiger
09-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Sorry to hear about Smith. He is a gifted student-athlete. I may be mistaken but I thought I saw him picking up water coolers after the game, if not him it was another kid who was limping and in obvious discomfort. This kid does it all. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

rojosgirl
09-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hear about his injury. Wishing the young man a full recovery from Gobbler Country.

gameface
09-28-2010, 06:17 AM
if truly a fracture-usu. heals in 4-6 weeks. maybe sooner as kids heal quick. don't count out future aggie yet-should be ready for playoffs. dip his foot into blanco river or cypress creek-may facilitate a speedy recovery. wishing your young leader a quick and successful recovery......gig'em!:cool:

gold_33
09-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Heres a story on his injury from the San Marcos Daily Record.

Link (http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x535472031/High-School-Football-Texans-Smith-out-for-the-season)