PDA

View Full Version : Fire Greg Davis?

slpybear the bullfan
09-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Please choose...

Old Tiger
09-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Get rid of Davis and McWhorter....Davis coaches offense to not lose....not to win. McWhorter is a terrible offensive line coach/recruiter.

slpybear the bullfan
09-25-2010, 04:26 PM
One U-G-L-Y game. *sigh*

Displaced Texan
09-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Greg Davis year in and year out has great offenses. GD does not have the final say in the plays he has one person that he answers to and that is the man down on the sidelines.

Mack has consistently been conservative in his offenses and this year is no different.

The Horns are going to struggle this year anybody that thought any different was drinking to much burnt orange koolaid.

Before you go calling me an Aggy, I am a die hard Orangblood but we can't lose a 4 year starting quarterback and a stud wr and maintain the leadership or consistency that McCoy and Shipley brought to the team.

Fire away all Greg Davis haters!

slpybear the bullfan
09-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Displaced Texan
Greg Davis year in and year out has great offenses. GD does not have the final say in the plays he has one person that he answers to and that is the man down on the sidelines.

Mack has consistently been conservative in his offenses and this year is no different.

The Horns are going to struggle this year anybody that thought any different was drinking to much burnt orange koolaid.

Before you go calling me an Aggy, I am a die hard Orangblood but we can't lose a 4 year starting quarterback and a stud wr and maintain the leadership or consistency that McCoy and Shipley brought to the team.

Fire away all Greg Davis haters!

On one point above, you are wrong. Mack does not approve every play called... he has stated before that he lets Greg call the game and he only offers direction at times as to who to get in the game. I will look for a source, but I think it was in the link posted last week that talks about Mack as CEO of Texas.

Charlie47
09-25-2010, 04:44 PM
NO, Greg Davis cannot make the kids hold onto the ball.:mad:

TheDOCTORdre
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
On one point above, you are wrong. Mack does not approve every play called... he has stated before that he lets Greg call the game and he only offers direction at times as to who to get in the game. I will look for a source, but I think it was in the link posted last week that talks about Mack as CEO of Texas.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106774&highlight=Mack

slpybear the bullfan
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Charlie47
NO, Greg Davis cannot make the kids hold onto the ball.:mad:

I will give you that... 6 drops last week and how many this week?

Displaced Texan
09-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan

I didn't say every play but I can tell you GD would love to open the game up more, this comes from a level 1 source.

They definitely need to have DJ in there more and Hix needs to sit on the bench he constantly gets beat.

TheDOCTORdre
09-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I didn't say every play but I can tell you GD would love to open the game up more, this comes from a level 1 source.

They definitely need to have DJ in there more and Hix needs to sit on the bench he constantly gets beat.

sources are useless

slpybear the bullfan
09-25-2010, 04:59 PM

i wish they would open it up... Gilbert needs to throw the ball more.

JJWalker
09-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Well ... it could be worse ... poor Tech lost to a team that is getting creamed by UCLA. DOH! :doh:

JJWalker
09-25-2010, 05:20 PM
OK ... the Fresh Prince of UCLA jokes are out ... anouncers have nothing left to say ... except ... game over man!

BOCEPHUS
09-25-2010, 05:25 PM
MACK BROWN FER GOVENOR............THAT A WAY HE CANT COACH NO MORE, PLUS HE GOOTA BE BETTER A GOVER'N THAN A DAD GUM AG

Phil C
09-25-2010, 05:43 PM
We should have grabbed Coach Chow when he was available. UCLA hired a good one.

Old Tiger
09-25-2010, 05:45 PM
I hated the playcalling where it was 4th and 4 or so or 3rd and 3 and they call a pass play that is ran behind the first down marker. Terrible design and the players are running what they are told.

Texas has playmakers on offense just Davis doesn't do a good job of featuring that talent at all. If I were a big time offensive recruit I would not be going to Texas.

JJWalker
09-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Dang UCLA gives UT a mercy ... and then takes it back with less than a minute left! :doh:

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I hated the playcalling where it was 4th and 4 or so or 3rd and 3 and they call a pass play that is ran behind the first down marker. Terrible design and the players are running what they are told.

Texas has playmakers on offense just Davis doesn't do a good job of featuring that talent at all. If I were a big time offensive recruit I would not be going to Texas.

The WR knows where the sticks are..normsally the WR is told on those type of routes extend to the sticks and Chiles did not.

Gontex
09-25-2010, 06:00 PM
What the hell was Curtis Brown doing fielding a punt inside his four yard line. I remember playing f'ball in junior high school and the coaches were telling us that inside the 10 yard line, you get away from the ball. Between stupid plays, drops, qb missing wide open receivers in the end zone, Horns never had a chance. Preparation was poorly conceived and performance of game plan (if there was one) was non existent. When the defense decided not to come out for the second half, it was over. Horns went from a BCS MNC game contender to probably a 3rd or 4th place finish in the Big 12 South. Probably headed for the Alamo Bowl.

Old Tiger
09-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Gontex
What the hell was Curtis Brown doing fielding a punt inside his four yard line. I remember playing f'ball in junior high school and the coaches were telling us that inside the 10 yard line, you get away from the ball. Between stupid plays, drops, qb missing wide open receivers in the end zone, Horns never had a chance. Preparation was poorly conceived and performance of game plan (if there was one) was non existent. When the defense decided not to come out for the second half, it was over. Horns went from a BCS MNC game contender to probably a 3rd or 4th place finish in the Big 12 South. Probably headed for the Alamo Bowl. I wouldn't get carried away.....

They'll finish top 2-3 in the big 12 south probably cotton bowl or holliday bowl

Charlie47
09-25-2010, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't get carried away.....

They'll finish top 2-3 in the big 12 south probably cotton bowl or holliday bowl

I like your optimism!;)

Daddy D 11
09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Before Vince saved his ass, 99% of Austin wanted Greg Davis' ass because he sucks as a play caller. After two great years of Vince playing backyard football most forgot about Greg Davis. Then 4 great years of Colt helped hide his play calling as well. Even with Colt though Greg would NEVER attack down the field. He has always been a dink and dunk kind of play caller and it kills me. Texas year in and year out can line up on any field, anywhere and have better talent than the defense... Davis never uses that talent in an aggressive manner. And when things are a little close, in a tight game...Greg Davis' bootyhole puckers up and he gets even worse... I've been watching him do it for years and years.

LH Panther Mom
09-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Before Vince saved his ass, 99% of Austin wanted Greg Davis' ass because he sucks as a play caller. After two great years of Vince playing backyard football most forgot about Greg Davis. Then 4 great years of Colt helped hide his play calling as well. Even with Colt though Greg would NEVER attack down the field. He has always been a dink and dunk kind of play caller and it kills me. Texas year in and year out can line up on any field, anywhere and have better talent than the defense... Davis never uses that talent in an aggressive manner. And when things are a little close, in a tight game...Greg Davis' bootyhole puckers up and he gets even worse... I've been watching him do it for years and years.
You have such a way with words! :D

Daddy D 11
09-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You have such a way with words! :D

Is this sarcasm? :mad:

bwdlionfan
09-26-2010, 02:33 PM

:clap:

LH Panther Mom
09-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Is this sarcasm? :mad:
No, it means you get your point across while cracking me up!

Caldwell_Raider
09-26-2010, 05:22 PM
AHHH don't fire Greg, I love this guy. He keeps every game Texas is in interesting! :devil: :D :devil: :D

LHdog
09-26-2010, 05:31 PM
The Horns should hire Mike Leach as OC. I think he's available.

Old Tiger
09-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by LHdog
The Horns should hire Mike Leach as OC. I think he's available. I think Major Applewhite would be an improvement. Leach wouldn't fit in at Texas one bit.

Rock66
09-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Let's break this down:

Coach Davis has been successful at UT when there have been experienced teams in place. This team has experience in certain players but over all this team is a totally new team. And not just when referring to players, the current offense is a total 180 from last year. No one likes a down year but this will definately be a rebuilding year for the team. I believe I hear the same complaints everytime UT looks like their gonna stumble... "just fire somebody" One of the reasona is so consistenly good, aside from tremendous talent, is that they are consistent in their game plan and presentation; that they don't change everything the first sign of trouble. Want to fire Davis? Find me one that could do better

The offensive line is having a difficult time getting a push off the ball because they have been totally brainwashed by the zone. This teaches lineman to move laterally very well and lock onto blocks but it disregards the explosive push off the line of scrimmage. Even those guys on the line are big and strong they have been taught for thei entire career to step lateral with the first step.

On the subject of the o-line, Macwhorter is excellent at teaching what he's done since he's got to UT: the zone. Changing the mindset of an entire side of the ball in one offseason is not a small task.

After Jamaal Charles, it was officially the end of the Big Back era. Williams, Benson, then Charles, all back to back to back... Quite incredible actually. If there were another option for UT, if they could just play 1 RB they would, but obviously none of these backa can carry the team from the back field. The absence of a super hero RB in the backfield is being felt this year more than any because if the absence of a veteran QB.

Football has proven time and time again that wins don't primarily depend on what a team does, rather how well a team does what it does. How well a team executes it's game plan. The Longhorns havnt done a good job executing but don't expect the coaches to give up and run the wing T. There is a breaking point but I expect the coaches are going to be pretty stubborn with this one.

Oh and Coach Brown, he does whatever e wants. He calls a play if he feels it nessecary, and brings the heat on the coaches when fit hits the Shan. Ur right that he suggests that certain players get in, or other one get the hell out, but when he tells the sideline and everyone on the headsets to jump, the ask "How high?"

Emerson1
09-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Not to worried. Look at Colt and his sophomore year. Lost to KSU at home the week before the RRS and had a bad TD/INT ratio.

Daddy D 11
09-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Rock66
Let's break this down:

Coach Davis has been successful at UT when there have been experienced teams in place. This team has experience in certain players but over all this team is a totally new team. And not just when referring to players, the current offense is a total 180 from last year. No one likes a down year but this will definately be a rebuilding year for the team. I believe I hear the same complaints everytime UT looks like their gonna stumble... "just fire somebody" One of the reasona is so consistenly good, aside from tremendous talent, is that they are consistent in their game plan and presentation; that they don't change everything the first sign of trouble. Want to fire Davis? Find me one that could do better

The offensive line is having a difficult time getting a push off the ball because they have been totally brainwashed by the zone. This teaches lineman to move laterally very well and lock onto blocks but it disregards the explosive push off the line of scrimmage. Even those guys on the line are big and strong they have been taught for thei entire career to step lateral with the first step.

On the subject of the o-line, Macwhorter is excellent at teaching what he's done since he's got to UT: the zone. Changing the mindset of an entire side of the ball in one offseason is not a small task.

After Jamaal Charles, it was officially the end of the Big Back era. Williams, Benson, then Charles, all back to back to back... Quite incredible actually. If there were another option for UT, if they could just play 1 RB they would, but obviously none of these backa can carry the team from the back field. The absence of a super hero RB in the backfield is being felt this year more than any because if the absence of a veteran QB.

Football has proven time and time again that wins don't primarily depend on what a team does, rather how well a team does what it does. How well a team executes it's game plan. The Longhorns havnt done a good job executing but don't expect the coaches to give up and run the wing T. There is a breaking point but I expect the coaches are going to be pretty stubborn with this one.

Oh and Coach Brown, he does whatever e wants. He calls a play if he feels it nessecary, and brings the heat on the coaches when fit hits the Shan. Ur right that he suggests that certain players get in, or other one get the hell out, but when he tells the sideline and everyone on the headsets to jump, the ask "How high?"

I've heard it straight from a players mouth that Mack doesn't do anything in practices or the games. Said the only thing he decides is what to do on fourth down.

SintonFan
09-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Get rid of Davis and McWhorter....Davis coaches offense to not lose....not to win. McWhorter is a terrible offensive line coach/recruiter.

I don't know. Seems a little hasty.:thinking:

sinton66
09-26-2010, 11:06 PM
None of the coaches fumbled the ball four times.

Rock66
09-26-2010, 11:49 PM
As have I Daddy D, and your absolutely right, he doesn't do much more on the sideline besides call the refs by name, ask them how their families are and call timeouts. Hes more of a figure-head for the program, a face and voice, than a coach. I've heard that the dynamics of the team are very interesing behind closed doors, not in a negative way but just unique. But in the same sense I have close friends involved with the program that tell of coach brown flying off the rocker and nearly taking over when things go south. Whether it be in practice or in a game. He holds the lightning bolts on that campus. All things considered, What we see of coach brown on the sideline is a probably pretty accurate as far his role in game decisions.

Daddy D 11
09-27-2010, 12:02 AM
As have I Daddy D, and your absolutely right, he doesn't do much more on the sideline besides call the refs by name, ask them how their families are and call timeouts. Hes more of a figure-head for the program, a face and voice, than a coach. I've heard that the dynamics of the team are very interesing behind closed doors, not in a negative way but just unique. But in the same sense I have close friends involved with the program that tell of coach brown flying off the rocker and nearly taking over when things go south. Whether it be in practice or in a game. He holds the lightning bolts on that campus. All things considered, What we see of coach brown on the sideline is a probably pretty accurate as far his role in game decisions.

I think he does a great job though, running the system that he does. So be it if he chooses to let a lot of weight fall on his assistants? Who am I to judge lol I just wish he wasn't as good of friends with Greg Davis as he is!

I too have heard about Mack taking serious control when things go bad. Which I think he will do very soon. I was talking to my dad today, who is an Alum and was talking to a big time Alum yesterday and that guy said that he highly suspects heads are gonna roll at the end of the year. He said the O-line coach continues to get on Macks bad side lol he also said that he suspects Muschamp is quitley leading a charge to get rid of Greg Davis and that the whole "lets get back to the power running game and slow the game down for the defense" was Muschamps idea in the first place. IF that is true, that goes hand in hand with what I have heard from that same player that Muschamp runs all the drills at practices, offense and defense. That player said last year there was a weeks span where he said he never saw or heard Macks voice at a practice. Said Muschamp does it all.

Rock66
09-27-2010, 12:43 AM
I totally agree.

As to the new dynamics of the team... That's very interesting. Everything you just said could very easily be true. I hate to think of that program as being so divided but winds of change are starting to blow through the 40 acres for sure.

One thing I will say about the inner workings of that coaching staff is that Coach Brown expects out of every player that steps on the field just a little bit more out of them than what's realistic, and expects it on every down throughout a game. In my opinion, these unrealistic expectations of players and coaches are partially to thank for the standard of excellence that has come to be feared, expected, and respected of UT.

Furthermore, when things don't go well and an assistant coach is questioned by coach brown as to why one of his players didn't perform to "the" level of expectation, an assistant coach can quickly get in a tight spot. Because there isn't a correct answer to that question besides, "coach, that's my fault, I didn't coach him well enough."

Whether it's for this reason or another, I think your right. Coaches will be lookin for new jobs

Old Tiger
09-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Let's break this down:

I think it was more of poor decisions and lack of hits on their RB targets....Malcolm Brown is their biggest get since Jamaal Charles. It is also rumored they could be landing Aaron Green also and that will be two five star backs in one class!

I think next year we will see how well this offense can do with an actual high profile runningback who is said to be the best since Adrian Peterson. I think right away he will come in and compete for the starting job if not win it.

In 2009 Christine Michael was dying for a UT offer but the staff chose Chris Whaley instead.

RB's taken and their outcome since 2005(Jamaal's class)

Jamaal Charles - NFL
Jerrell Wilkerson - Transfer
Michael Houston - Transfer

Antwan Cobb - Moved to FB then quit football
Vondrell McGee - Injuries and never lived up to hype

Cody Johnson - Short yardage specialist
Fozzy Whittaker - Injury prone career so far

Jeremy Hills - Has yet to see meaningful playing time
Tre Newton - One of the more consistant backs on roster
Ryan Roberson - fullback

Chris Whaley - moved to H back due to weight issues(could have taken christine michael but chose not to)

Traylon Shead - Redshirting

Malcolm Brown - 5 star(best RB from Texas since Adrian Peterson some say)
Joe Bergeron - 3 star FB(some say he's the best FB prospect out of Texas in a long time)

IMO Bergeron is the key to what Texas wants to do offensively because of his blocking abilities as well as pass catching.

I read on some recruiting websites that Johnathan Gray(2012) will likely be one of the first 5 or so commits that Texas gets for the 2012 class.

Rock66
09-27-2010, 06:40 AM

Third
09-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I've bashed Davis before but like some guys have said it hasn't been him this year. Too many dropped balls, too many turnovers, too many penalties and too many bone-headed plays that Texas usually does not commit. I can't remember the last time a UT team has performed this bad.

The Horns got away with it the week before against Tech because despite the miscues, the offense was still clicking, that wasn't the case this week. The offense was stagnant and falling all over itself while putting the ball on the turf.