PDA

View Full Version : Celina Morning America!

JJWalker
09-25-2010, 09:08 AM
OK ... my morning just went south.

Good Morning America just had a feature on Celina football and the fact that Kenny Chesney ... spoke at the pep rally yesterday.

A good dose of coach Ford and a lot of ugly orange ...

tear falls down his cheek

Rocket
09-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by JJWalker
OK ... my morning just went south.

Good Morning America just had a feature on Celina football and the fact that Kenny Chesney ... spoke at the pep rally yesterday.

A good dose of coach Ford and a lot of ugly orange ...

tear falls down his cheek

This is sad news and Celina football hasn't done crap in 3 years. Was that in the story?

gatordaze
09-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
This is sad news and Celina football hasn't done crap in 3 years. Was that in the story?

Last 3 years? 1 state championship, 1 runner up, one 2nd round. You would not know "crap" if you were spewing it.

JJWalker
09-25-2010, 09:25 AM
No ... the main focus was how Celina is the best 3A football program in the state.

Rocket
09-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Last 3 years? 1 state championship, 1 runner up, one 2nd round. You would not know "crap" if you were spewing it.

2008 Runner Up
2009 2nd Round
2010 still suck....
See the trend?

Ain't done crap (according to people on the Downlow)

JJWalker
09-25-2010, 09:27 AM
No ... the main focus was how Celina is the best 3A football program in the state.
Oh and I almost forgot ... this point ... that without Celina football ... Texas football would not be significant.

Rocket
09-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Oh and I almost forgot ... this point ... that without Celina football ... Texas football would not be significant.

LOL the media is so stupid.

Displaced Texan
09-25-2010, 09:30 AM

I'm going way out on a limb here but I would say Abilene and Katy would disagree.

Also, Lake Travis says hi!

JJWalker
09-25-2010, 09:34 AM
LOL the media is so stupid.
Yeah ... but I think everyone of us is just going to have to accept the fact that ... Celina football ... is the "darlin' face" of high school football.

Maybe MOJO was at one point ... and Trinity has a presence. But those would still for some reason be over shadowed by the big orange ... dare I say it .... machine?

IrishTex
09-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Forgive me for saying so, but I just found a video of Chesney at Celina posted from the Dallas morning News. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with it.

www.dallasnews.com/video/index.html?bcid=617219414001

JJWalker
09-25-2010, 09:50 AM
http://countrymusicrocksnet.blogspot.com/2010/09/kenny-chesney-makes-surprise-visit-at.html

Got to give 'em profs ...

Lil' ol' Celina does it BIG.

Old Tiger
09-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Displaced Texan
I'm going way out on a limb here but I would say Abilene and Katy would disagree.

Also, Lake Travis says hi! Yall are talking just top tier teams but what makes Texas football great is those teams who are in the middle tier and bottom tier of success whose fans are still going out every friday night cheering for them and the atmosphere of the town on gameday.

gatordaze
09-25-2010, 09:53 AM
2008 Runner Up
2009 2nd Round
2010 still suck....
See the trend?

Ain't done crap (according to people on the Downlow)

2007 6-4 Bwah ha!
2008 3-7 Bwah ha!
2009 10-3 3nd Round
2010 Same record as Celina

See the trend?

Bruce
09-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Thank you IrishTex for posting, some people have narrow minds and they can not see the forest for the tree's. The whole concept is showing what Texas High School Football is all about. It happen to star Celina Bobcats, and it could have been any other school , but this man wanted do it in Celina from a rural and small town like the one he grow up in. Its about Texas High School Football at its best for all Texas High School teams. Thanks!

BullsFan
09-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Congrats, Celina!! With a long and storied history, it's no wonder you guys are getting some recognition. :clap: :clap: :clap:

JJWalker
09-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Congrats, Celina!! With a long and storied history, it's no wonder you guys are getting some recognition. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Oh ... we all know you are right.

Celina is a great example of high school football tradition and spirit.

It is just fun to not let 'em collect on their investment without punishing them for their diligence, by summoning some picnic rain.

:D

orange machine
09-25-2010, 06:53 PM
JJ I give you props I know you don't care for Celina, but you are a man and give credit where credit is do without throwing stupid spins and half witted rude comments out.

RPF2666
09-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Kenny Chesney chose Celina, not vice- versa.

The 'Boys of Fall' program would have been great without Celina in it, but does look awefully good with all that Orange!

Eagle 1
09-25-2010, 07:10 PM
What about Rocket taking a break from the downlow when he got voted off? Was that also in the story?

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=106915&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Aunt_Ester
09-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by RPF2666
Kenny Chesney chose Celina, not vice- versa.

The 'Boys of Fall' program would have been great without Celina in it, but does look awefully good with all that Orange!

Do you think Celina "recruited" Kenny?

BwdLion73
09-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Congrats. Celina I would be proud.:clap:

bobcat1
09-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Congrats. Celina I would be proud.:clap: You are a good egg BwdLion73. Classy!

Rocket
09-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
What about Rocket taking a break from the downlow when he got voted off? Was that also in the story?

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=106915&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I did take a break. 3 days. Or something like that. The terms were an undetermined amount of time. My choice, not yours...

I went to the Brownwood game and everybody I talked to, including some players, told me to keep on posting. It seems all this negativity about Brownwood royally pisses the players off. ;)

Go ahead and dis on Brownwood and make fun. It just adds fuel to the fire.

Rocket
09-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Based on your 7.5 State Titles, I'd say Chesney picked a good sample of Texas High School Football.

Eagle 1
09-25-2010, 10:41 PM
I did take a break. 3 days. Or something like that. The terms were an undetermined amount of time. My choice, not yours...

I went to the Brownwood game and everybody I talked to, including some players, told me to keep on posting. It seems all this negativity about Brownwood royally pisses the players off. ;)

Good job coach. :clap:
When Brownwood wins state I'm sure you will get the credit.
I bet they even engrave your name on the trophy, and you can order yourself a state ring. (not plastic like ours of course)

Rocket
09-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Good job coach. :clap:
When Brownwood wins state I'm sure you will get the credit.
I bet they even engrave your name on the trophy, and you can order yourself a state ring. (not plastic like ours of course)

Lol yeah and your plastic rings and your Pop Warner Championships... Get a life and stay out of mine.

marler1972
09-25-2010, 11:01 PM
rodney, did u even play at brownwood or just the water boy?...lol
j/k Yes I talk to Deron every once in a while.....

OldNavy
09-25-2010, 11:11 PM

I am proud for the coaches and the kids. Over the years they have gotten to be part of some pretty good things, like playing in Cowboy stadium in 1999 and 2000, and playing the last high school football game in Cowboy stadium against Carthage in 2008.

Their win streak was pretty great and it opened the door to have a documentary film done that was pretty honest and straight forward. There was a two page spread in USA Today on the Bobcats and they were featured 3 time on Paul Harvey, God rest his soul. Several of the young men have gone on to get good educations paid for as a result of their natural talent and hard work and I think one has even come back to be an assistant coach in Celina from the "Streak" team of a few years ago.

The band, cheerleaders and drill teams have performed in front of some large audiences as a result of the teams success. And I believe most of those kids really had a good time being part of that. I know I've enjoyed just being an observer. It is fun seeing kids you know in the spotlight for being good kids.

Bull Moose
09-25-2010, 11:22 PM
It is what it is. Celina football. Texas High School Football at its best.

Eagle 1
09-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Just remember, my smack talking has nothing to do with the Brownwood team and what they are accomplishing. It's truly awesome to watch.

So which is it?

Bruce
09-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Eagle 1, you should ask ? Are washing are hanging out! Thanks!

Eagle 1
09-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Bruce
Eagle 1, you should ask ? Are washing are hanging out! Thanks!

:D
Are you the same "Bruce" who use to post on the Centex mb?

Bruce
09-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes sir, I was looking for Centex awhile back, an unable to locate. That was a good football site , an I always enjoyed reading the good info from the that web site. Wish all the best down your way.Thanks!

Eagle 1
09-26-2010, 07:36 PM
The centex mb is now known as the supercentex.
The board has really died down compared to what it use to be.
However, it is one of the earliest Texas hs football message boards that I know of.
Here is the link: http://centexfootball.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/6726042
I hope all is well with you and yours.
Maybe we can catch up at a game sometime this season.

Rocket
09-26-2010, 07:41 PM
So which is it?

Fans talk smack, players play...

That is exactly what it is.

Eagle 1
09-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Fans talk smack, players play...

That is exactly what it is.

Your not the sharpest knife in the cupboard are you?
You don't even realize you constantly contradict yourself on here. :doh:

Rocket
09-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Your not the sharpest knife in the cupboard are you?
You don't even realize you constantly contradict yourself on here. :doh:

LOL Really? You get the genius award. I speak out of both sides of my mouth. This has been established way before you decided to come on here and stalk me.

P4s and RM constantly point this out...

I am the Broken Record...The this and the that. Your puppet master.

JJWalker
09-26-2010, 11:22 PM
... I am the Broken Record...The this and the that. Your puppet master.
Please slowly remove your puppet master hand from Eagle 1 ... then back away slowly!

Rocket
09-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Please slowly remove your puppet master hand from Eagle 1 ... then back away slowly!

LOL He won't let me... He's more of the pinnochio type... He has strings all over him and I just bounce him around and make him say funny things.

SintonFan
09-27-2010, 01:46 AM
Rocket, a touch of humility goes a long way.
There are no guarantees in life, much less high school football.
Give it a rest.:)

Old&Crusty
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM

Classy post. Those of us that grew up watching BW and Coach Wood appreciate this.

Rocket
09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Rocket, a touch of humility goes a long way.
There are no guarantees in life, much less high school football.
Give it a rest.:)

You can be humble...I will just be fired up about the Brownwood Lions. Until I see a team stop them, I'm not gonna stop.

LIONS
09-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Congrats, there are a few programs in the state of texas with storied history such as Celina. All of those programs should be proud of there past accomplishments and history. Brownwood, Celina, Permian, Abilene High, Katy, just to name a few. All should be proud of there history.

Twirling Time
09-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by LIONS
Congrats, there are a few programs in the state of texas with storied history such as Celina. All of those programs should be proud of there past accomplishments and history. Brownwood, Celina, Permian, Abilene High, Katy, just to name a few. All should be proud of there history.

What's unique about Celina is we're watching them make history right in front of our eyes. Lots of other schools have tradition, but their heyday often was decades ago.

You have to remember that Celina didn't start winning district championships until 1966, and before 1995 they only had one co-championship they shared with Big Sandy. Almost all of the big winning has only been done in the last decade and a half.

UPanIN
09-28-2010, 08:07 AM
There was a program on yesterday called "The Boys of Fall". I think that was what it was called and it was on ESPN2. It was pretty good with interviews with lots of people, coaches, players, etc... talking about all the good things about HS football, how football has prepared them for life and all the memories from that time in their life. Celina was the team featured but it wasn't all about them.

BILLYFRED0000
09-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I will be the first to tell you I am a Celina homer but I will also say that I have an objective eye. I moved to Celina for my kids so they could see something about how to strive for more than mediocrity. I had followed Pilot Point and Celina for a few years before I moved here because the two schools were rivals and successful. At the time Pilot Point was the more successful but Celina always fought them tooth and nail and you could count on one of the best small school football games in the area every time they played. I loved it then and when I had the chance to move I did and never have regretted it. And I got to see the history first hand and it aint over yet.

defense51
09-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Too many Texas teams to list to show what makes Texas football significant!!! Texas football is significant with or without Celina. Celina has a great program, no questions! Could they move to 4a or 5a and continue to win championships like Southlake or Aledo?

gatordaze
09-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by defense51
Too many Texas teams to list to show what makes Texas football significant!!! Texas football is significant with or without Celina. Celina has a great program, no questions! Could they move to 4a or 5a and continue to win championships like Southlake or Aledo?

That is what they said when we went to 3A. If the numbers and associated talent moved us to 4A or 5A is would assume so. Talent wins games and coaches lose games. Talent and coaches win championships

rojosgirl
09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Coming from a small town and I mean a really small town. I understand the importance of Friday night football. That's just about all those people have. Same as Celina and Kenny focused on that. The part of the song and video that talked about the old men at the coffee shop -- that's small town USA every day. That's where I'm from!

So, all of you Celina haters and Kenny Chesney haters, just take it back a notch or two. Jealousy is ugly. Congrats to Kenny and a great song & video and to Celina and the class act football program they have.

This is coming from a tiny town in south Texas where football is still the king. Kinda like what Waylon used to sing about the great Bob Wills.:D

Good Luck Gobblers - Beat the Bears!:clap:

defense51
09-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Texas football is what it is because of all the schools, 1A-5A! Size of the school or # of championships is insignificant, it's the champions and also those who never won a championship but kept playing year after year. The kids who keep playing their hearts out every Friday night, win or lose!!! The coaches who change lives through coaching, the parents and communities who are at every game! Too many reasons to list!!!!! That's why Texas is and always will be the best football program on earth.

BILLYFRED0000
09-29-2010, 09:27 PM
You have to understand we are the foreground. The background is small town USA everyday. As far as storied, let the record book stand for itself. 8 titles, 68 straight wins, 25 straight championship wins, and 7 undefeated seasons. Pretty darn good story.

Eagle 1
09-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by defense51
Texas football is what it is because of all the schools, 1A-5A! Size of the school or # of championships is insignificant, it's the champions and also those who never won a championship but kept playing year after year. The kids who keep playing their hearts out every Friday night, win or lose!!! The coaches who change lives through coaching, the parents and communities who are at every game! Too many reasons to list!!!!! That's why Texas is and always will be the best football program on earth.

I agree, but you will never convince Rocket of that.

rojosgirl
09-30-2010, 01:13 PM
:ditto:

rojosgirl
09-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I've been doing the football thing for almost 50 years. It's really important to me & mine. Lots of good memories in those years and some not so good as well. That's all part of it.

Making the effort is the main thing. I've seen teams play an entire season with 11 players and never dream of quitting. Bloodied and bruised they played for 10 weeks. Talk about heart . . . . .

Yes, the greatest state of all has the best football of all. Thank goodness we can all be a part of it and sit under those friday night lights! GO _________________! (insert your favorite team name here)

:wave:

MoveInDad
09-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
[B]I've been doing the football thing for almost 50 years. It's really important to me & mine. Lots of good memories in those years and some not so good as well. That's all part of it.

Making the effort is the main thing. I've seen teams play an entire season with 11 players and never dream of quitting. Bloodied and bruised they played for 10 weeks. Talk about heart . . . . .

Yes, the greatest state of all has the best football of all. Thank goodness we can all be a part of it and sit under those friday night lights! GO _________________! (insert your favorite team name here)

And unless you've lived with your school aged kids in another country, you realize there is NOTHING like Friday night lights, and all the associated pageantry and tradition, anywhere else in the world...at least where I've lived.
While many will say there is tooo much emphasis, time and pressure on kids to 'play' and excel in athletics and not enough on academics... that is down to the student and his/her family. Without it, school seemed to be more or less just a job that kids couldn't wait to leave and didn't want to associate with any more than they had to while they were there.
Perhaps got a bit off-topic, just emphasizing the point... we don't know how luck we are... GO Bobcats!

BILLYFRED0000
09-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
And unless you've lived with your school aged kids in another country, you realize there is NOTHING like Friday night lights, and all the associated pageantry and tradition, anywhere else in the world...at least where I've lived.
While many will say there is tooo much emphasis, time and pressure on kids to 'play' and excel in athletics and not enough on academics... that is down to the student and his/her family. Without it, school seemed to be more or less just a job that kids couldn't wait to leave and didn't want to associate with any more than they had to while they were there.
Perhaps got a bit off-topic, just emphasizing the point... we don't know how luck we are... GO Bobcats!

I like the thought process there. Some kids excel in academics and others do not. You could accept the fact that sports is as much about developing character and maybe does it better than anything in academics ever could.
IMHO.