PDA

View Full Version : When Instincts Kick In: A very funny story!

Old Cardinal
10-24-2003, 05:25 PM
An Old Coach told me this story and I laughed till I hurt! Hope that you enjoy it also....

Old Rover Joins the Chase

At a ball game a number of years ago, it seems that an old Cow Dog had wondered into an open gate at the Stadium that night. Old Rover had been the pride pin-dog in the county, during his hayday. The 90# Dog was sitting on his haunches down a little ways from the bench on the home team side. Well the home team had a bow-legged wingback that ran the kickoffs back, pretty well, and he broke down the hometeam side line. Old Rover saw the bow-legged kid stealing something and he joined the opposing team in hot pursuit down the field. Instinct has once again kicked in. Well as the bow-legged kid crossed the goal line; he looked back and realized that he no longer was running for a TD: he was running for his life! Old Rover finally pinned him down near the end of the visitors side of the endzone. Old Rover had grabbed that doggy by the hip pad and threw him handily to the ground and was standing their with his front paws planted on him.! Well Rover felt he had done his duty that night and retired from the lighted field out the open gate, to return home. The Coach, telling the story, said that they took the bow-legged wingback back to the locker room and checked and there was not one scratch on the kids behind. This story was told to me as the truth-I guess every dog has his day under the stadium lights-if instinct kicks in.

<small>[ October 24, 2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
10-25-2003, 03:46 AM
Just rolling this back to the top, since it was covered by ball scores last night.

Gilmer Buckeye
10-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the laugh, OC.

This actually sort of happened at a Gilmer home game against Pleasant Grove in September. A big red mutt of a dog has been straying around Gilmer for the last few months. I'd seen him downtown near my office during the summer. The way he was wandering in and out of traffic on U.S. Hwy. 271 and State Hwy. 154, I figured he would quickly become roadkill.

So I was surprised to see him run out on the field that night (and I am not making this up) right after the PA announcer began blaring the song "Who Let the Dogs Out?" It was as if the dog knew that was his cue to take the field.

It interrupted the flow of the game as they had to stop action to remove the trespassing canine. We had been dominating Pleasant Grove and were up 12-0 after a little over a quarter. Pleasant Grove took advantage of the break and got right back in it and the game was pretty close the rest of the way, ending up 25-22 in our favor.

If I had not seen the dog months before roaming around downtown, I'd almost be tempted to think Coach Barker brought him down with him on the bus from Texarkana and released him onto the field at that very opportune moment to stop the Buckeye juggernaut.

<small>[ October 25, 2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Gilmer Buckeye ]</small>

Brahma73
10-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Kinda reminds me of the 'possum on the field at the Fairfield / Bellville play-off game last year. Watching the field crew try to catch him in a garbage can was a riot!

Brahma73
10-25-2003, 08:47 AM
While we're on the subject, does anyone remember seeing the pro pitcher whose fastball collided with a pigeon on it's way to home plate last year. The ran it on ESPN highlights. Now that's some weird stuff! The pigeon just went POOF! Feathers everywhere eek!

3afan2K3
10-25-2003, 09:11 AM
www.stupidvideos.com (http://www.stupidvideos.com)

go to the search part and go to baseball under categories, its called baseball bird wathc some of the other ones to their stupid :D

Gilmer Buckeye
10-25-2003, 10:30 AM
I have decoded my own message a few posts above. I think the reason the dog made the trek from downtown Gilmer to the stadium that night and ran out onto the field is that he had heard Coach "Barker" was in town.

Old Cardinal
10-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Wonder how RBARKER down in Barbers Hill is sizing up these fun stories?

LT#71
10-25-2003, 07:34 PM
Brahma73:
While we're on the subject, does anyone remember seeing the pro pitcher whose fastball collided with a pigeon on it's way to home plate last year. The ran it on ESPN highlights. Now that's some weird stuff! The pigeon just went POOF! Feathers everywhere eek! I dont know who did it last year buta few years back Randy Johnson Did that it was like a 90 something mph fast ball when the ball hit the bird theres nothing but feathers left