PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M-Kingsville mascot

MUSTANG69
09-24-2010, 03:28 PM
On the ranch that I hunt on, we inherited a domesticated javelina from the game warden. He had confiscated it from some guy in Benavides. He said the javelina was a female so we named it Maria. Didn't take long to find out that Maria was a Mario. The javelina was like a pet dog. It would sit in your lap, ride in the truck, play chase etc. Because of the young kids that come to hunt there each year (kids from juvenile homes) we needed to get rid of the javelina. We could not turn him loose on another ranch becaise he would walk up to a hunter and get shot. After extensive searching for a home for this critter we were successful.

Mario is now going to be the new mascot for the Texas A&M-Kingsville Javelina football team. He is now going to be a star.

:clap: :clap:

Phil C
09-24-2010, 03:29 PM
:clap:

Daddy D 11
09-24-2010, 03:34 PM
That is awesome!

MUSTANG69
09-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
That is awesome!

I think so. He grew up with people and required a lot of attention. He was somewhat spoiled. He will get a lot of attention now. Javelinas are very socialable animals. Also, this dude can pack away the "macaroni and cheese".:D

Ruserious
09-24-2010, 03:53 PM
That's great! When I was there from 81 to 83 it was A&I and we had one named "Porky".I don't know what ever happened to him.

MUSTANG69
09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Ruserious
That's great! When I was there from 81 to 83 it was A&I and we had one named "Porky".I don't know what ever happened to him.

The last one they had died recently at the age of 15 years. Pretty old for a javelina. They had been trying to trap one to domesticate. I don't know what they will name this one. I'm just thrilled we were able to do this for the Javelinas.

Maroon87
09-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
On the ranch that I hunt on, we inherited a domesticated javelina from the game warden. He had confiscated it from some guy in Benavides. He said the javelina was a female so we named it Maria. Didn't take long to find out that Maria was a Mario. The javelina was like a pet dog. It would sit in your lap, ride in the truck, play chase etc. Because of the young kids that come to hunt there each year (kids from juvenile homes) we needed to get rid of the javelina. We could not turn him loose on another ranch becaise he would walk up to a hunter and get shot. After extensive searching for a home for this critter we were successful.

Mario is now going to be the new mascot for the Texas A&M-Kingsville Javelina football team. He is now going to be a star.

:clap: :clap:

:2thumbsup

Bull Butter
09-24-2010, 04:52 PM
They always name the mascots "Porky". Go to a game and you'll get to see him each time the Hoggies score a TD:)

MUSTANG69
09-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
They always name the mascots "Porky". Go to a game and you'll get to see him each time the Hoggies score a TD:)

I try to make at least one game a year. Hopefully they will have him trained by the time I go. It will be interesting to see how he is doing. He is a charming fellow.

Trashman
09-24-2010, 05:28 PM
:D :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

maroogreen
09-24-2010, 08:08 PM
That is so awesome! My dad is in the sports hall of fame there and I've grown up listening to stories about the Javs. I'll have to let him know there is a new Porky.