PDA

View Full Version : Pettite signs with Astros!

sahen
12-11-2003, 10:25 AM
CNN is reporting Pettite has signed with Astros! woohoo! good move in my opinion....Pettite, Miller, Oswalt, Redding, and Robertson is a heck of a rotation....not to mention that Hernandez guy that was awesome until he threw his arm out...hopefully he will come back from surgery 100% and they will an awesome starting rotation....

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 10:26 AM
wow...convincing a Yankee to leave his pinstripes! Great job Astros!

BIG19
12-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Just imagine what it would have been like if they would have kept Wagner. Oh well, maybe good things are starting to happen in the Houston area. Go Stros!!!!

sahen
12-11-2003, 10:35 AM
BIG19:
Just imagine what it would have been like if they would have kept Wagner. Oh well, maybe good things are starting to happen in the Houston area. Go Stros!!!!True....but i think they got rid of him so they would have the money to sign Pettite...plus Dotel is gonna be a great closer himself and Lidge will be an awesome set-up guy...i see good things with the pitching but problem is will these Astros do just like all the good Astro teams of past? Have great shut-out pitching...but have awful hitting and not score enough to ever win....??? who knows...they definitely have the bats in the lineup to put up great numbers and they have a lineup to win, but last year the hitters choked and cost them a shot at the playoffs again...maybe bagwell and biggio can get their bats going for one last run for the world series and kent and berkman can have one of their stellar seasons...i just hope they win the world series for bagwell and biggio's sakes....two class guys that have stuck w/ houston for so long when they couldve gone elsewhere for more money...they deserve it...

<small>[ December 11, 2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: sahen ]</small>

BrahmaMom
12-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm soooo excited! I have just become a HUGE Astros fan! I am from Deer Park originally, so Andy is a hero there (my kids make us drive by his house to see if he's out in the yard!). Go Stros!!!!!!!!

JasperDog94
12-11-2003, 10:47 AM
This shows hope that some people care about more than money! :)

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 10:47 AM
sahen:

BIG19:
Just imagine what it would have been like if they would have kept Wagner. Oh well, maybe good things are starting to happen in the Houston area. Go Stros!!!!True....but i think they got rid of him so they would have the money to sign Pettite...plus Dotel is gonna be a great closer himself and Lidge will be an awesome set-up guy...i see good things with the pitching but problem is will these Astros do just like all the good Astro teams of past? Have great shut-out pitching...but have awful hitting and not score enough to ever win....??? who knows...they definitely have the bats in the lineup to put up great numbers and they have a lineup to win, but last year the hitters choked and cost them a shot at the playoffs again...maybe bagwell and biggio can get their bats going for one last run for the world series and kent and berkman can have one of their stellar seasons...i just hope they win the world series for bagwell and biggio's sakes....two class guys that have stuck w/ houston for so long when they couldve gone elsewhere for more money...they deserve it...I have heard that Lidge may be the closer so that Dotel can stay in his flexible set-up role because he's more able to pitch multiple innings...my guess is they'll wait until spring training to announce a closer...as much as I know Astros fans hated to see Wagner leave, I think the team is getting better.

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 10:48 AM
JasperDog94:
This shows hope that some people care about more than money! :) or that there's just not much difference in money once you get into the $30 millions... :D

JasperDog94
12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
crzyjournalist03:

sahen:

BIG19:
Just imagine what it would have been like if they would have kept Wagner. Oh well, maybe good things are starting to happen in the Houston area. Go Stros!!!!True....but i think they got rid of him so they would have the money to sign Pettite...plus Dotel is gonna be a great closer himself and Lidge will be an awesome set-up guy...i see good things with the pitching but problem is will these Astros do just like all the good Astro teams of past? Have great shut-out pitching...but have awful hitting and not score enough to ever win....??? who knows...they definitely have the bats in the lineup to put up great numbers and they have a lineup to win, but last year the hitters choked and cost them a shot at the playoffs again...maybe bagwell and biggio can get their bats going for one last run for the world series and kent and berkman can have one of their stellar seasons...i just hope they win the world series for bagwell and biggio's sakes....two class guys that have stuck w/ houston for so long when they couldve gone elsewhere for more money...they deserve it...I have heard that Lidge may be the closer so that Dotel can stay in his flexible set-up role because he's more able to pitch multiple innings...my guess is they'll wait until spring training to announce a closer...as much as I know Astros fans hated to see Wagner leave, I think the team is getting better.Yeah. Once Wagner ran his mouth, he was as good as gone. Even if it was the truth.

JasperDog94
12-11-2003, 10:50 AM
crzyjournalist03:

JasperDog94:
This shows hope that some people care about more than money! :) or that there's just not much difference in money once you get into the $30 millions... :D What's a couple of million to be close to your family? Plus, who wants live in NY? eek! :D

sahen
12-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Lidge as the closer would be good too....he is lights out also...ahhhh i just hope this team doesnt do what all Astro's teams that have been predicted to do well have done...just nose dive at the end of the season and not do anything in the playoffs if they get there....

shellman54
12-11-2003, 11:08 AM
the way i see it, the astros are one speedy center fielder/lead off hitter away from having every component necessary for a title run. biggio is a great player, but not a true center fielder.

punt
12-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Astros are looking good. Now I wish they would pick up some good pinch hitter for those times late in the game when a homer would win the game. Wonder if there is any hope Bagwells throwing arm will get better. SS continues to be the weakest position on the team.

sahen
12-11-2003, 11:12 AM
shellman54:
the way i see it, the astros are one speedy center fielder/lead off hitter away from having every component necessary for a title run. biggio is a great player, but not a true center fielder.yah in my opinion they should get rid of hidalgo (for those who dont understand this just look at what he did most of his years not his first and last when he was fighting for a job), move berkman to right, biggio to left and acquire a center fielder like that or pray that one of their prospects that they talked aobut last year comes up and can play center like that...but that is yet to be seen...

JasperDog94
12-11-2003, 11:14 AM
punt:
Wonder if there is any hope Bagwells throwing arm will get better.Nope. Gonna be the same as the past years. I don't know all the reasons, but he won't have surgery. :rolleyes:

sahen
12-11-2003, 11:14 AM
punt:
Astros are looking good. Now I wish they would pick up some good pinch hitter for those times late in the game when a homer would win the game. Wonder if there is any hope Bagwells throwing arm will get better. SS continues to be the weakest position on the team.i think that everett kid is gonna be a great shortstop...he could use some help in the hitting dept. but defensively he is gona be pretty solid...

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 11:16 AM
There's a press conference scheduled for noon to announce the Pettite deal!

JasperDog94
12-11-2003, 11:20 AM
crzyjournalist03:
There's a press conference scheduled for noon to announce the Pettite deal!Isn't that noon eastern? So that would make it 11:00 our time.

shellman54
12-11-2003, 11:21 AM
everett will be an ozzie smith-type shortstop, not alot of power, but can hit, and has tremendous fielding. i agree with moving hidalgo, but i would keep berkman in left, and move biggio to right. too bad we couldn't afford lofton too, i think he is a free agent also.

shellman54
12-11-2003, 11:22 AM
yeah, it is at 11:oo central time, so in about 35 minutes.

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 11:22 AM
JasperDog94:

crzyjournalist03:
There's a press conference scheduled for noon to announce the Pettite deal!Isn't that noon eastern? So that would make it 11:00 our time.not sure...it's on mlb.com...I'll double check

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 11:23 AM
yep...it's EST...so the press conference is at 11...

In other news...the Yankees have already moved on and are apparantly very close to acquiring Kevin Brown from the Dodgers... eek! eek! eek! those guys just won't give up!

sahen
12-11-2003, 11:28 AM
crzyjournalist03:

In other news...the Yankees have already moved on and are apparantly very close to acquiring Kevin Brown from the Dodgers... eek! eek! eek! those guys just won't give up!yah....sad part is they are trading that weaver guy for him...i think the dodgers will get screwed in that deal unless if weaver can return to his 2002 Detroit Tiger form...and what channel will have the press conference?

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 11:30 AM
I'm not in the Houston area, so I don't even know if the press conference will be televised, but I'd imagine that it will be broadcast on the local sports radio station!

shellman54
12-11-2003, 11:32 AM
i'm sure sports radio 610 has it, and i will keep check on espn to see if they have it. i'm sure espnnews will have it on there too.

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 11:32 AM
sahen:

crzyjournalist03:

In other news...the Yankees have already moved on and are apparantly very close to acquiring Kevin Brown from the Dodgers... eek! eek! eek! those guys just won't give up!yah....sad part is they are trading that weaver guy for him...i think the dodgers will get screwed in that deal unless if weaver can return to his 2002 Detroit Tiger form...and what channel will have the press conference?wait...Weaver for Brown...that clears up payroll for the Dodgers...the Red Sox are looking to trade Nomar to either LA or Anaheim...LA frees up space by sending Brown to NY, then LA acquires Nomar, then the Red Sox get A-Rod!!!

Wouldn't that be the ultimate victory in the battle that these teams have been going through during the free agency period? New York's trade helps Boston get the best player in all of baseball...I can see it coming!

sahen
12-11-2003, 11:37 AM
crzyjournalist03:

sahen:

crzyjournalist03:

In other news...the Yankees have already moved on and are apparantly very close to acquiring Kevin Brown from the Dodgers... eek! eek! eek! those guys just won't give up!yah....sad part is they are trading that weaver guy for him...i think the dodgers will get screwed in that deal unless if weaver can return to his 2002 Detroit Tiger form...and what channel will have the press conference?wait...Weaver for Brown...that clears up payroll for the Dodgers...the Red Sox are looking to trade Nomar to either LA or Anaheim...LA frees up space by sending Brown to NY, then LA acquires Nomar, then the Red Sox get A-Rod!!!

Wouldn't that be the ultimate victory in the battle that these teams have been going through during the free agency period? New York's trade helps Boston get the best player in all of baseball...I can see it coming!but like i said the dodgers still get screwed in that deal cause even w/ nomar they are loosing their ace and gaining weaver who had an ERA of 5.99 last year....hard to win when teams are scoring 6 runs against u....but that would be hilarious if the yanks help the sox's out...

<small>[ December 11, 2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: sahen ]</small>

Talk_To_The_Paw
12-11-2003, 12:30 PM
BrahmaMom:
Oh my gosh, I'm soooo excited! I have just become a HUGE Astros fan! I am from Deer Park originally, so Andy is a hero there (my kids make us drive by his house to see if he's out in the yard!). Go Stros!!!!!!!!BrahmaMom, from what I hear, he has a huge house in Deer Park. Did you graduate from Deer Park HS? I grew up in Pasadena and graduated from Sam Rayburn HS, but knew a few people from Deer Park.

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 12:44 PM
how many of you Astro fans have already ordered your new Pettite jerseys from mlb.com????

shellman54
12-11-2003, 01:08 PM
i live in deer park, so this is just an added bonus!! and i'm sure the jerseys will sell pretty quick.

Wildcat81
12-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Why to go stros that be some rotation Pettite,
Miller,Oswalt,Redding,Robertson. with Lidge as setup and Dotel as closer.

JasperDog94
12-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Redding may be out if Hernandez is back from surgery. I heard he's been tearing it up in winter ball in the Dominican Rep. :) :)

BrahmaMom
12-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Talk_to_the_Paw: Yeah, I grew up in DP and graduated from there in '76. Seemed like a small town till I moved to a 3A town--just like "going home". Andy's house in DP is large, esp. for DP, it is like a Woodlands kinda house. He has a house next door for his parents (much smaller, but nice) and my kids think they spy a personal gym in his house--I am too busy dodging cars and kids in the road. It is in a regular neighborhood, not secluded. He is a home-grown guy, does charity for the area, has a golf tourney at the Battleground Golf Course annually. I knew he'd give up $$ to play close to home--a small town kid's dream come true. And it's so good for the local kids when a pro makes a decision for people, not money. I am very happy for him and his family.