PDA

View Full Version : How Come?

Bullaholic
09-23-2010, 03:16 PM
While looking at a map of the Coastal Bend, I got to wondering how come Gregory-Portland is one school, while Ingleside and AP are separate schools with about the same geographical proximity to one another? Hope this doesn't turn into a dumb question by me.

piratebg
09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Thats a good question for the boys on the 4A board. Im sure they'll have a good variety of reasons. :D

pirate4state
09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
While looking at a map of the Coastal Bend, I got to wondering how come Gregory-Portland is one school, while Ingleside and AP are separate schools with about the same geographical proximity to one another? Hope this doesn't turn into a dumb question by me. Gregory and Portland are a lot closer than Ap/Ingleside.

Bullaholic
09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Gregory and Portland are a lot closer than Ap/Ingleside. That's what kind of got me wondering. On the map it looked like Gregory and Portland were about the same distance apart as Ingleside and AP. Maybe not.

Gsquared
09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
That's what kind of got me wondering. On the map it looked like Gregory and Portland were about the same distance apart as Ingleside and AP. Maybe not.
Geesh, China and Iceland look pretty close on a map too. :doh:

pirate4state
09-23-2010, 03:37 PM
That's what kind of got me wondering. On the map it looked like Gregory and Portland were about the same distance apart as Ingleside and AP. Maybe not. LOL

Ingleside and AP are about 8 miles apart - school to school.

Sinton to Odem = 8 miles
Sinton to Taft = 8 miles
Sinton to Portland = 18 miles
Sinton to Ingleside = 23 miles
Sinton to Aransas Pass = 26 miles

Portland's HS is about 3 miles away from Gregory. I suppose if you live on the far east side of Gregory you'd be about 6 miles away from the school.

:nerd:

Old Tiger
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I think a Rockdale/Cameron consolidation would be sick for all sports. Would likely be 3a still also!

Bullaholic
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Geesh, China and Iceland look pretty close on a map too. :doh:

And that how you used to see all those gals you used to drag up, Shallow Hal? :D

Bullaholic
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
LOL

Ingleside and AP are about 8 miles apart - school to school.

Sinton to Odem = 8 miles
Sinton to Taft = 8 miles
Sinton to Portland = 18 miles
Sinton to Ingleside = 23 miles
Sinton to Aransas Pass = 26 miles

Portland's HS is about 3 miles away from Gregory. I suppose if you live on the far east side of Gregory you'd be about 6 miles away from the school.

:nerd:

I gotta get a new map...:D Lots of schools pretty close to one another, though.

BaseballUmp
09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I think a Rockdale/Cameron consolidation would be sick for all sports. Would likely be 3a still also!

Too bad none of those Tigers would get to play haha

And there is no way Cameron would drop the "Yoe" as part of the name haha

Green Bling
09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Most school districts prefer to remain independent as long as they can successfully operate and serve their children. Consolidation brings a whole new set of problems along with the shared responsibility. I taught in a consolidated district that still battles hard feeling between the two entities after 15-16 years following their merger.

Maroon87
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
While looking at a map of the Coastal Bend, I got to wondering how come Gregory-Portland is one school, while Ingleside and AP are separate schools with about the same geographical proximity to one another? Hope this doesn't turn into a dumb question by me.

Gregory is much smaller than Ingleside or AP, more like a settlement than an actual town. But it is home to Mac's Bar B Que...good stuff!

And in actually driving through the two towns, you'll find there's very little actual space between the two, maybe 2 miles is all.

:cool:

MUSTANG69
09-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Gregory is much smaller than Ingleside or AP, more like a settlement than an actual town. But it is home to Mac's Bar B Que...good stuff!

And in actually driving through the two towns, you'll find there's very little actual space between the two, maybe 2 miles is all.

That is correct. Gregory can not sustain a school district on its own. AP and Ingleside are only 4 miles apart but I don't think there is ever going to be a consolidation of the two schools. That subject has been brought up but there is absolutely no interest in either town concerning consolidation. Besides if Ingleside was not in D30 there would not be anybody to hold Sinton in check every once in a while.:D

nobogey72
09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

Is Gregory where they filmed the movie "Raggedy Man"?

pirate4state
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Besides if Ingleside was not in D30 there would not be anybody to hold Sinton in check every once in a while.:D

:blahblah: :spitlol:

SintonFan_inAustin
09-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Rockport Fulton. Fulton has a elementary like Gregory does but thats all. those little town schools giving me headaches :ack!:

SintonFan_inAustin
09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
That is correct. Gregory can not sustain a school district on its own. AP and Ingleside are only 4 miles apart but I don't think there is ever going to be a consolidation of the two schools. That subject has been brought up but there is absolutely no interest in either town concerning consolidation. Besides if Ingleside was not in D30 there would not be anybody to hold Sinton in check every once in a while.:D From all of the schools i cover for work in coastal bend upto victoria area, no Ingleside schools :confused:

Maroon87
09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Is Gregory where they filmed the movie "Raggedy Man"?

Yes it was.

MUSTANG69
09-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
From all of the schools i cover for work in coastal bend upto victoria area, no Ingleside schools :confused:

I don't know what you do so I don't know what that means.:thinking:

LE Dad
09-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Wow... there are a bunch of ISDs in a 25mi radius here. I come up with 10 off of the top of my head. I would not want to see any of them consolidate due to all of the issues with kids being pushed in with other kids that they didn't grow up with. Texas High switched from 2 middle schools to 1 because of the amount of friction that was developing between the kids competing against each other and then being asked to compete with each other. I believe it is also a budgeting nightmare.... just my .02. :D