PDA

View Full Version : News out of 3A Division 2 land...

BanderaBlahBlah
06-18-2003, 07:42 PM
It's just leaks so far, but the leaks are saying that all of the teams projected to go Division 2 will forfeit their games against the district leaders of enrollment... They know they can't win, so they're just gunna give 'em their spots and play for their own...

Whether or not D2 schools will stop playing playoff games hasn't been mentioned yet... They might just stop plaing all together... Who knows...

Old Cardinal
06-18-2003, 09:47 PM
I really have nothing against Bandera, and I don't care who wins Division II-but you are a prime example of a Division II (even a giant Division II) that lost two games in District play. In that one game at least, I would think Burnet proved that Division I teams are dominate. Your Bracket climb was much weaker than Burnets, wouldn't you agree?

BanderaBlahBlah
06-18-2003, 10:30 PM
I'm not from Bandera, this is just a name I chose...

Your example is the example of the best team winning, just like when Celina (enrollment in 300's) beat Gainesville (enrollment in 800's)...

Bandera didn't have a weak climb... Bandera beat a tough Rice Consolidated team and a tough Port Isabel team off of the top of my head... I've seen both of those teams and they're awesome...

BULLDOGFAN
06-19-2003, 06:22 AM
When Bandera played Burnet we went into half time ahead by 1 or 2 points. Two key injuries in our defensive back feild, one who was our kicker and punter which totaly screwed up our field position the second half causing the game to get away from us.

When we played Liberty Hill it was a Mud Bowl, their wishbone offense was all they had and our coaches never reacted to it with a better defensive scheme. We were more of a passing team at that time cause Heep our running back was just getting back from knee surgery.

Excuses Excuses, yes I know but when the chips were down - - we produced wins everytime. I am not saying every year, but this year I think this Div. II team could have held their own against anyone.

Old Cardinal
06-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Do you think Bandera, Rice Cons.,Port Isabel-could have beaten Jasper, Everman, Forney, for example?

BanderaBlahBlah
06-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Maybe not Everman, they were awesome, but the rest of them? I honestly think they could, just my opinion... You think they couldn't, just your opinion... Am I right? Maybe not... Are you right? Maybe not... But the History of 3A up until this very point proves your theory otherwise, sorry, you do not have the credible back-up to make a good argument...

(By the way, I come from a school with enrollments in the mid 700's, so I'm not some D2 guy defending himself, I just know the truth)

PPHSfan
06-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Old Cardinal:
Do you think Bandera, Rice Cons.,Port Isabel-could have beaten Jasper, Everman, Forney, for example?I am sure Bandera (774) would not stand any better a chance against Everman (896) than let's say Newton (353) would against Bridge City (753) or Celina (347) would against Gainesville (801).

But wait a minute, who won that Bridge City game and that Gainesville game?

Would you like me to do some research and see how many small schools beat large schools last year? I really don't mind. :p

It's a mind boggling thing ain't it?

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

Jacket2000
06-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Could Bandera, Rice, or PI have beaten Everman, Forney, or Jasper? No, absolutely not. But, there were several 4a teams that couldn't have beaten those teams either.
How 'bout FW Carter-Riverside(892), FW Diamond Hill(873),or Pecos(809)? I bet they could beat those teams fairly easily. Here's an example from last year's playoffs;
Celina(347)-46, Quinland Ford(833)-14
J2K

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Jacket2000 ]</small>

BanderaBlahBlah
06-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Uh ohhhh...

Old Cardinal... If you can turn this solid evidence into a solid argument you are the king...

Phil C
06-19-2003, 10:48 AM
No one could have beaten Everman last year in the playoffs or during the season except for Kennedale. And if it had been a win or out of the playoffs type of game then I don't believe Kennedale would have upset Everman. There is no way Everman wouldn't have been ready for a game of that importance. True they lost to Kennedale last year and Kennedale is to be commended on a great game in win but in a critical game Everman would have won.

Owen B
06-22-2003, 01:42 PM
Old Cardinal,

Since all this stems from your contrasting D1 and D2 in region 3, I'll point this out:

3A has been divided into playoff divisions for five years. In three of those five years (60%), the losing D2 finalist was larger than the D1 finalist from regions 3 and 4. Yep, in 1999 and 2001, the D2 champion beat larger schools in its championships than the D1 champions did. In 2000, the D2 champion beat a larger school than the D1 champion itself.

D2 is no loser's bracket.

<small>[ June 22, 2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Owen B ]</small>

Old Tiger
06-22-2003, 02:12 PM
I'm tired of hearing all this D1 and D2 stuff. Just let the kids play them game and not worry about competition or school size. It's not the size of the school that determines if you are any good. Sure it helps but what matters most is what the kids have in their chest and that is heart.

big daddy russ
06-22-2003, 04:12 PM
You know, I'm gonna side with Jacket on this one. THIS YEAR D-I was much, much better. I firmly believe that and I'm completely unbiased either way. Last year the same could be said, Sinton, Everman and those guys were probably the better division. But the year before that, when Forney and LaGrange met up in the D-II title game, I'd have to say the small school division was the better of the two. It just depends on the year you're talking about. This year just happened to be the year for D-I.

Chris Hart
06-22-2003, 10:28 PM
BULLDOGFAN:
When Bandera played Burnet we went into half time ahead by 1 or 2 points. Two key injuries in our defensive back feild, one who was our kicker and punter which totaly screwed up our field position the second half causing the game to get away from us.Bandera never led Burnet, the score was 21-14 Burnet at the half, and the final score was 49-14. :p

cunbed10
06-23-2003, 08:07 AM
Well, 3A Downlow there is a town located about 28 miles south of waco and 51 miles north of Bryan college station they happen to be a Div II school and I think for the last 5 out 6 years they could have competed with any Div I shcool 3A and 4A as for the 2003 season they will probably beats some Div I 3A and Div I 4A shcools we will just have to wait until September to see.

cunbed10
06-23-2003, 08:10 AM
cunbed10:
Well, 3A Downlow there is a town located about 28 miles south of waco and 51 miles north of Bryan college station they happen to be a Div II school and I think for the last 5 out 6 years they could have competed with any Div I shcool 3A and 4A as for the 2003 season they will probably beats some Div I 3A and Div I 4A shcools we will just have to wait until September to see.I am having trouble with the word school this morning please excuse me.

Keith7
06-23-2003, 12:18 PM
PPHSfan:

Old Cardinal:
Do you think Bandera, Rice Cons.,Port Isabel-could have beaten Jasper, Everman, Forney, for example?I am sure Bandera (774) would not stand any better a chance against Everman (896) than let's say Newton (353) would against Bridge City (753) or Celina (347) would against Gainesville (801).

But wait a minute, who won that Bridge City game and that Gainesville game?

Would you like me to do some research and see how many small schools beat large schools last year? I really don't mind. :p

It's a mind boggling thing ain't it?Gainesville would have won if they didnt get cheated by the refs

audasmom7
06-23-2003, 01:38 PM
Im so sick of hearing about Burnet. Im sure they have great team.. But all you people need to remember any team can be beat at any given day. Just like last year Dangerfield thought they would walk all over us.. and they did not... And every one thought we would win state which we did not. So all you Burnet fans need to remember every dog has there day.. Sometimes that's a tough lesson to learn. And as far as the Burnet, Bandera game sounds like it was a good one, Ya'll didnt walk all over them (no way) I think.. No I know that Greenwood's team could and would give them a heck of a game.

audasmom7
06-23-2003, 01:57 PM
HMMMM......... And what happened the 2nd half???

Old Tiger
06-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Marlin gave Burnet a close game last year. Their D2 so you can see that D2 can compete with D1

Matthew328
06-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Burnet Bandera last year was close for one half...then it turned into a rout....Burnet is a GREAT team and deserves all the accolades they are recieving...they are the undisputed top team in the state at the moment..they are very much like Greenwood..unbeaten until the state title game...and this year they have a TON of people back..only difference is Burnet is probably a better team overall....

Chris Hart
06-23-2003, 08:33 PM
audasmom7:
Im so sick of hearing about Burnet. Im sure they have great team.. But all you people need to remember any team can be beat at any given day. Just like last year Dangerfield thought they would walk all over us.. and they did not... And every one thought we would win state which we did not. So all you Burnet fans need to remember every dog has there day.. Sometimes that's a tough lesson to learn. And as far as the Burnet, Bandera game sounds like it was a good one, Ya'll didnt walk all over them (no way) I think.. No I know that Greenwood's team could and would give them a heck of a game.Audasmom7, I am truly sorry that you are tired of hearing about Burnet, but I was just correcting a statement that wasn't true. When something is said about my DAWGS that isn't true, I MUST respond. And as far as Bandera giving Burnet a good game, if you think Burnet 49- Bandera 14 is a good game, then I guess they did. This is not meant to offend anyone from Bandera or you Audasmom7, I am just stating a fact. I too get irritated about some Burnet followers acting as if Burnet is invinceable, but I don't feel as my post was directed that way at all, I was simply correcting something that was said. :)

BigChamp05
06-23-2003, 11:56 PM
From a player, Bandera-Burnet was a close game, way closer than the score indicated. Like i said in another post, we had players hurt and out of postion. If we met up again at the end of the season, it would have been a totaly different game. When we saw the prize, nothing could stop us. And that is the same for any team in the state. Its not about D1 D2, its about a good team coming together, seeing the big picture, and wanting to win. Letting nothing come in their way, and letting nothing slow them down. We had a dang good team last year, and once we got our eyes on the prize, we couldn't be stopped, and i don't know if anybody could stop us. Maybe Everman though, they are crazy.

vet93
06-24-2003, 09:05 AM
It is interesting how things are percieved depending on what side of the fence that you are on. The Burnet players are thinking to themselves...we played an awful first half but put it together in the second half to rout Bandera. They are coming away from the game thinking we could have beaten them even worse. The Bandera people look at the first half and say if we hadn't made a few mistakes in the second half it would have been a very close game. They come away from the night thinking that with a few breaks we could have won the game. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I do find it kind of funny that one excuse given for Bandera not winning was because we had players "out of position". Well duh! this is the game of football and being "in position" is fundamental to the game. Who's to say that Burnet wouldn't have caused you to be "out of position" again had you played later in the season? Good teams will often cause their opponent to make mistakes that they wouldn't ordinarily make. Just a thought.

Ranger Mom
06-24-2003, 10:13 AM
I agree 100% Vet. When we played Bandera, we had a KEY player break his ankle during the pre-game warm-up. He was out and we had to do some moving of other key players, so we had SEVERAL out of their normal position.

Would we have won if Brian had been able to play?? Who Knows?? But I refuse to say that is why we lost the game.

Old Cardinal
06-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Matt, I agree with you, Burnet ought to be really strong with ample depth to sustain them right on through the Playoffs.

cunbed10
06-24-2003, 02:55 PM
I got a chance to see Burnet, twice last year, Once in Marlin in late Sept and once in December against Jasper. Burnet and Jasper are very good teams, and yes their enrollments doubles Marlin, but the talent level on all three ball clubs, are equal, Burnet fans witnessed Marlin vs. Burnet and the game went into overtime, eventually Burnet won the game, but if you asked those kids from Burnet, about the kids from Marlin, I guarantee they will tell you that Marlin's team didn't play like a Div II school as a matter of fact, they gave Burnet a better game than the Div I giant Jasper, so it's just like I said earlier every ten years or so you get a special group of kids with exceptional talent, but it's the team that can put it together and accomplish one goal and hoist the state championship trophy in the air in late December who we really should be talking about not the size or location of a school.