PDA

View Full Version : Celina's 8 State Championships.....

bwdlionfan
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
For years Brownwood and Plano laid claim to the state's largest collection of state championships-- seven of them. During the 2000s, Southlake Carrol and Celina both started winning titles year after year, and before too long they too had won seven of their own. Southlake Carrol hasn't won a title in a few seasons, but Celina added one more, to give them a total of eight. Now, for the past few seasons Celina has had bragging rights that they have the most state titles in Texas.

But was that first title really a title?

Prior to 1996, high school football did not use overtime. Anytime there was a tie in a game that mattered (district, playoffs, etc); the team that led on penetrations (crossing the opponent's 20 yard line) won the game. If penetrations were also a tie, then the next tie breaker was first downs.

In the 1974 Class B state championship game, Celina faced Big Sandy. The game ended in a 0-0 tie. Big Sandy led Celina on penetrations 3-0. Both teams claim to be co-champs, but it seems to me that Big Sandy won the tie breaker.

DDBooger
09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
OH #$%$ :stirpot:

Ernest T Bass
09-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
In the 1974 Class B state championship game, Celina faced Big Sandy. The game ended in a 0-0 tie. Big Sandy led Celina on penetrations 3-0. Both teams claim to be co-champs, but it seems to me that Big Sandy won the tie breaker.

Agreed

LE Dad
09-23-2010, 11:24 AM
For years Brownwood and Plano laid claim to the state's largest collection of state championships-- seven of them. During the 2000s, Southlake Carrol and Celina both started winning titles year after year, and before too long they too had won seven of their own. Southlake Carrol hasn't won a title in a few seasons, but Celina added one more, to give them a total of eight. Now, for the past few seasons Celina has had bragging rights that they have the most state titles in Texas.

Prior to 1996, high school football did not use overtime. Anytime there was a tie in a game that mattered (district, playoffs, etc); the team that led on penetrations (crossing the opponent's 20 yard line) won the game. If penetrations were also a tie, then the next tie breaker was first downs.

In the 1974 Class B state championship game, Celina faced Big Sandy. The game ended in a 0-0 tie. Big Sandy led Celina on penetrations 3-0. Both teams claim to be co-champs, but it seems to me that Big Sandy won the tie breaker. Tie breaker was only used to decide which team advanced to the next round. Since there was no next round then there would be no need to utilize tie breaker.

DDBooger
09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Tie breaker was only used to decide which team advanced to the next round. Since there was no next round then there would be no need to utilize tie breaker. Deciding a winner is a pretty big advancement from being declared a loser don't you think? It is odd that people just declared it a tie.

LE Dad
09-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Deciding a winner is a pretty big advancement from being declared a loser don't you think? It is odd that people just declared it a tie. It all depends.... I think what was done in 1974 should long ago been written in stone. I am sure not going to question it almost 40 years later...lol:D

but should get interesting here shortly.:p :1popcorn:

Ernest T Bass
09-23-2010, 11:33 AM
1993 Commerce/Sealy.
Commerce scores on the last play of regulation to come within one. Instead of kicking the XP and being "co-champs", Steve Lineweaver decides to go for 2 and the win. THAT, my friends, is how you do it.

LeonJr
Recruit Recruit Recruit. Only Mack Brown recruits better.

waterboy
That's just the way it was in those days. There was no next round so they were declared co-champions. It doesn't matter who got the most penetrations, first downs, or yardage. I didn't like that there wasn't any overtime in those days, and it has since been corrected, thank goodness, but even though the title is a shared title it still counts. Nice try, though.;)

Eagle2
09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
As much as I'm not a Bob Kitten fan these days we do have to give them their props. Co Champions=Champions. If you were on that team you'd of bought yourself a ring too and don't try to act like you wouldn't of. This is a thread that no one will ever agree on but my .02 cents is that that team deserves to be considered champions.

gatordaze

What does the record book say?

coachc45
Deciding a winner is a pretty big advancement from being declared a loser don't you think? It is odd that people just declared it a tie.

Neither team in any tie game was declared a winner or loser. Both team were declared champion. We tied with Gladewater in the quarterfinals (Regional Finals) in 1984....both teams were given a trophy for Regional champions. The penetration rule just allowed us to move on to the next round.

A tie is declared Co-Champions every time, so I say count the title.

DDBooger
09-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by coachc45
Neither team in any tie game was declared a winner or loser. Both team were declared champion. We tied with Gladewater in the quarterfinals (Regional Finals) in 1984....both teams were given a trophy for Regional champions. The penetration rule just allowed us to move on to the next round.

A tie is declared Co-Champions every time, so I say count the title. I'm not questioning what happened. That is obvious. I'm just wondering the mindset. I mean, we're talking Texas football, I'm surprised people could just accept it. I remember hearing about deciding who goes to the playoffs based on Coin flips :doh:

Matthew328
09-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Lineweaver has some cahones

jason
09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Lineweaver has some cahones he should have broke 100 vs that arkansas team

JJWalker
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Did the standings record ties prior to 1996 or just Wins and Losses?

coachc45
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm not questioning what happened. That is obvious. I'm just wondering the mindset. I mean, we're talking Texas football, I'm surprised people could just accept it. I remember hearing about deciding who goes to the playoffs based on Coin flips :doh:

If you payed attention though....neither team scored so they pretty much had to accept it huh?

Oh and the coin flip thing still happens. If 3 teams have the same record in district and only one can go. They look at head to head, then point differential. If they can't break the tie then.... you guessed it ... they flip a coin.

LE Dad
09-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm not questioning what happened. That is obvious. I'm just wondering the mindset. I mean, we're talking Texas football, I'm surprised people could just accept it. I remember hearing about deciding who goes to the playoffs based on Coin flips :doh: The mindset is the teams are tied, but one must advance by utilizing predetermined methods. Even when these methods were used the 2 teams were still considered tied just one advanced due to whatever method was used.

Team A 7- Team B 7 tie
Team A advances due to whatever

bwdlionfan
09-23-2010, 11:46 AM
The mindset is the teams are tied, but one must advance by utilizing predetermined methods. Even when these methods were used the 2 teams were still considered tied just one advanced due to whatever method was used.

Team A 7- Team B 7 tie
Team A advances due to whatever

Team A 0 Team B 0 tie
Team A wins state championship due to preset tiebreaker rules by the UIL.

coachc45
09-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by JJWalker
Did the standings record ties prior to 1996 or just Wins and Losses?

Standings record ties.

1984 our record was 14-1-1. the tie came in the 4th round.

DDBooger
09-23-2010, 11:49 AM
If you payed attention though....neither team scored so they pretty much had to accept it huh? Perhaps if you read it in context, you'd see I was talking about the process in general and not the occasion. ;)

Oh and the coin flip thing still happens. If 3 teams have the same record in district and only one can go. They look at head to head, then point differential. If they can't break the tie then.... you guessed it ... they flip a coin. Having the point differential installed is a far cry from deciding it ONLY on the flip.

DDBooger
09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
The mindset is the teams are tied, but one must advance by utilizing predetermined methods. Even when these methods were used the 2 teams were still considered tied just one advanced due to whatever method was used.

Team A 7- Team B 7 tie
Team A advances due to whatever Again, we're going back to breaking ties for advancement. I'm not asking that. I'm saying when they decided how a champion was decided how they could just accept two champions rather than OT or predetermined methods as mentioned prior. I'm pretty much playing arm chair historian and wondering why they didn't think of it. But I guess it was just accepted.

Eagle 1

I guess that's no different than UT claiming their Co-National championship in 1970 or something like that. :thinking:

LE Dad
Team A 0 Team B 0 tie
Team A wins state championship due to preset tiebreaker rules by the UIL. It was not used to determine a winner. Had there been another game BS would have advanced, but the 2 teams would still share the tied title.

gatordaze
09-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Team A 0 Team B 0 tie

Brownwood is starting to worry that they wont get to tie the record this year and now want a reversal from 1974. Too funny. I can't wait for them to realize during their SC celebration that Celina also won and they still trail by 1!

LE Dad
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Again, we're going back to breaking ties for advancement. I'm not asking that. I'm saying when they decided how a champion was decided how they could just accept two champions rather than OT or predetermined methods as mentioned prior. I'm pretty much playing arm chair historian and wondering why they didn't think of it. But I guess it was just accepted. Your last line is correct. I saw more than 1 DC that was decided by coin flip and when your team loses it makes you sick.

Old Tiger
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Illuminati!!!!!!!

Old Tiger
09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
I guess that's no different than UT claiming their Co-National championship in 1970 or something like that. :thinking:

Alabama is worse!

http://spittingfire.wordpress.com/2008/01/13/alabamas-12-national-championships/

DDBooger
09-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Alabama is worse!

http://spittingfire.wordpress.com/2008/01/13/alabamas-12-national-championships/ Worse is not having one.

waterboy
09-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Standings record ties.

1984 our record was 14-1-1. the tie came in the 4th round.
Hey, coach, did you play on that Tiger team? You must be from Daingerfield originally.

Old&Crusty
09-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Brownwood is starting to worry that they wont get to tie the record this year and now want a reversal from 1974. Too funny. I can't wait for them to realize during their SC celebration that Celina also won and they still trail by 1!

I wonder how many titles small schools like Celina would have if they had been allowed to play for State Championships like the big schools did? Brownwood had four of their titles before Celina size schools could play for a State Championship...

NTFan
09-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe prior to the over-time rules change that the coaches that were competing in the state championship had the option before the game was played:

They could choose to be declared co-champions if the game ended in a tie, or choose to go off of the tie-breaker rules for the other playoff games(penetrations, first downs, total yards)

Most coaches didn't want the game to end in a tie and then have to end up "losers" in the state game, so most of them agreed before hand that if the game ended in a tie, they would share the championship and be named co-champs.

This is my understanding of how it used to be decided.

d0tc0m
09-23-2010, 12:21 PM
what a weightless thread! poor brownwood wants to have sole possession of the state titles record, wouldn't surprise me if they started a petition to have uil reverse the 1974 title game. but at the end of the day, celina has 8...more than anyone else in the state of texas. deal with it brownwood.

d0tc0m
09-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by jason
he should have broke 100 vs that arkansas team

yeah he could've easily. that team, shiloh christian, is from springdale, which is just maybe 10 minutes up from where i live in fayetteville. they're a "powerhouse" here haha, and nobody wanted to believe me when i told them that shiloh was going to get rocked. in their defense though, they only have 182 kids enrolled in their school. now i have to deal with everyone up here saying that if Trinity played Springdale Har-Ber, the #1 team in the state or Bentonville #2, they would get to see how Shiloh felt. i just laugh, shake my head, and let them know that none of these top teams up here could even come close to hanging with most of the 3A schools in texas.

ctown
09-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Old&Crusty
I wonder how many titles small schools like Celina would have if they had been allowed to play for State Championships like the big schools did? Brownwood had four of their titles before Celina size schools could play for a State Championship...

Bingo. You can look at the regional championships which were all celina could advance to for several years prior to 74. Some years the win margins were huge at the regional level but no state game possible. Oh well.

Bruce
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
NTFan, that was the way they did it before the game, and your correct with your post. Thanks!

ctown
09-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Looks like we have a celebrity expert on tie breakers here and didn't know it. Al Gore is covertly posting on the 3ADL as bwdlionfan... :crazy1:

coachc45
09-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Hey, coach, did you play on that Tiger team? You must be from Daingerfield originally.

Yeah i played on the 84 and 85 teams. Would love to say I was apart of the 83 team...but just a lowly JV player that year.

FHS 74
09-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by NTFan
I could be wrong, but I believe prior to the over-time rules change that the coaches that were competing in the state championship had the option before the game was played:

They could choose to be declared co-champions if the game ended in a tie, or choose to go off of the tie-breaker rules for the other playoff games(penetrations, first downs, total yards)

Most coaches didn't want the game to end in a tie and then have to end up "losers" in the state game, so most of them agreed before hand that if the game ended in a tie, they would share the championship and be named co-champs.

This is correct. The UIL really didn't get involved in this issue. It would all be pre-determined by the two school districts. I remember a few years before that the decision was to not have the Co-Championship and penetrations decided the game.

bobcat1
09-23-2010, 01:18 PM

In the 1974 Class B state championship game, Celina faced Big Sandy. The game ended in a 0-0 tie. Big Sandy led Celina on penetrations 3-0. Both teams claim to be co-champs, but it seems to me that Big Sandy won the tie breaker. Oh brother......... reachin a bit.

waterboy
09-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah i played on the 84 and 85 teams. Would love to say I was apart of the 83 team...but just a lowly JV player that year.
What position did you play? My little brother played against those Tiger teams in '83 and '84. He was a linebacker and a right guard.

Old&Crusty
09-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ctown
Bingo. You can look at the regional championships which were all celina could advance to for several years prior to 74. Some years the win margins were huge at the regional level but no state game possible. Oh well.

When we consider Celina got the chance to win a state championship beginning in 72. Since then, SC has won 7, Plano has won 5 and BW has won 3.

Counting championships that were won when Celina and other small schools were not allowed to contend, well....y'all just go ahead and count them.

Eagle2
09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
what a weightless thread! poor brownwood wants to have sole possession of the state titles record, wouldn't surprise me if they started a petition to have uil reverse the 1974 title game. but at the end of the day, celina has 8...more than anyone else in the state of texas. deal with it brownwood.

About as weightless as Celina crying about Prosper's new billboard.....:mad: What's the difference? Crying is crying....:devil:

gatordaze
09-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Eagle2
About as weightless as Celina crying about Prosper's new billboard.....:mad: What's the difference? Crying is crying....:devil:

What billboard? bwah haha

BullsFan
09-23-2010, 02:23 PM
As much as I'm not a Bob Kitten fan these days we do have to give them their props. Co Champions=Champions. If you were on that team you'd of bought yourself a ring too and don't try to act like you wouldn't of. This is a thread that no one will ever agree on but my .02 cents is that that team deserves to be considered champions.

+1

ronwx5x
09-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Rocket would never have accepted a ring for a tie!!:)

Eagle2
09-23-2010, 02:54 PM
What billboard? bwah haha

LOL

MoveInDad
09-23-2010, 03:00 PM
So how many times did Celina claim a regional championship? I'm sure we can ALL agree a formula to compare other regional champions to declare a de facto State Champion. ;0)
Based on the logic that started this thread, Celina could possible lay claim to 10 or more State Championships.
If Gatordaze wasn't slightly biased, I'd say he would be the perfect choice for devising the determining formula... any other volunteers?

gatordaze
09-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
So how many times did Celina claim a regional championship? I'm sure we can ALL agree a formula to compare other regional champions to declare a de facto State Champion. ;0)
Based on the logic that started this thread, Celina could possible lay claim to 10 or more State Championships.
If Gatordaze wasn't slightly biased, I'd say he would be the perfect choice for devising the determining formula... any other volunteers?

We could keep it simple and just compare the two alphabetically. For the most part that should work out fine. WTH use the school name or the mascot! I am feeling generous...

Old Tiger
09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Rocket would accept any ring for anything!!:)
FIFY

MoveInDad
09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
We could keep it simple and just compare the two alphabetically. For the most part that should work out fine. WTH use the school name or the mascot! I am feeling generous...

Hmmm, so a bobcat beats a buckeye, but loses to a lion... may need to massage that algorithm.

gatordaze
09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Hmmm, so a bobcat beats a buckeye, but loses to a lion... may need to massage that algorithm.

Gotta pick name or mascot up front

marler1972
09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Rocket would never have accepted a ring for a tie!!:)

Thats only cause he never played football he was in the band.

MoveInDad
09-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Gotta pick name or mascot up front

Yea, that would work, decided by coin flip... Heads I'm Celina, tails I'm a bobcat. That's it... wait a minute, we're trying to determine champions from before 1972, I don't think a lot of those guys are still going to be kicking around or otherwise available to call it.

I think we're going to have to devise some other means.

BILLYFRED0000
09-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Team A 0 Team B 0 tie

No because the tie breaker rule was used to determine only who advanced to the next round. The game was a tie. Since there is no next round co champ.

garciap77
09-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Rocket would never have accepted a ring for a tie!!:) :eek: :eek: :eek:

bobcat1
09-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Brownwood ---> http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9048/violent104pm3.gif <--Celina:D

Celina--> http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1788/e4216f159dd0b5ed1b7d539.gif <--Brownwood

Eagle 1
09-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Brownwood ---> http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9048/violent104pm3.gif <--Celina:D

:1popcorn:

WOS87
09-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Oh dear lord what did I help start?!

:cool: :D

Actually there was no official UIL rule stating that a tie HAD to be declared co-champs at the time. It had to be agreed upon beforehand by both coaches what would happen if the game ended in a tie.

In 1932 Corsicana and Masonic Home agreed that if the game ended in a tie then penetrations would be used as a tiebreaker and there would only be one champ... thus Corsicana is considered THE only 1932 State Champ despite tying 0-0 in that game.

G.A. Moore and Jim Norman decided that in the case of a tie there would be no tiebreaker and the teams would be co-champs... but still... Celina got something like 70 total yards in that game and never made it past the Big Sandy 44 yard line.

Eagle 1
09-23-2010, 08:11 PM

Celina--> http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1788/e4216f159dd0b5ed1b7d539.gif <--Brownwood

What is that, a pick your poison deal? :D

bobcat1
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
one for the road!
Brownwood--> http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6646/paddle.gif <--3A last 2 years

Eagle 1
09-23-2010, 08:27 PM
one for the road!
Brownwood--> http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6646/paddle.gif <--3A last 2 years

I don't know where you come up with all these, and I may not want to know. :D

Twirling Time
09-24-2010, 07:44 AM

Celina won regional championships in 1968, 1969 and 1971. The '69 team finished 12-0 and the '71 team was 11-0-1 with a tie against Pilot Point.

Regional champions in Class B each year:

1968: Celina, Throckmorton, Trent, Price Carlisle, Chilton, Sheridan/Montgomery (tie), Banquete

1969: Celina, Throckmorton, Bronte, Crandall, Lometa, Montgomery, D'Hanis

1971: Celina, Newcastle, Wall, Big Sandy, Little River Academy, Chester, Agua Dulce

Somebody should be able to look those records up.

bowleghorses
09-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
1993 Commerce/Sealy.
Commerce scores on the last play of regulation to come within one. Instead of kicking the XP and being "co-champs", Steve Lineweaver decides to go for 2 and the win. THAT, my friends, is how you do it.

Remember the 2008 semifinal game between Prosper and AW...The rest is sweet history.:D

NastySlot
09-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by NTFan

This is what the way I remembered it also......I was told this watching Lorena and Refugio play for a state title......Lorena went for two and the win....asked a coach I was with (I wasn't coaching was in college at the time).

I'm getting old when there are so many people that don't remember ties and tie breakers used......I remember in close games in the fourth quarter the officials stopping the game coaches meeting on the 50 and being told the official stats....

I remember one team going to the playoffs and only one champion per class.

im old.

LE Dad
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
This is what the way I remembered it also......I was told this watching Lorena and Refugio play for a state title......Lorena went for two and the win....asked a coach I was with (I wasn't coaching was in college at the time).

I'm getting old when there are so many people that don't remember ties and tie breakers used......I remember in close games in the fourth quarter the officials stopping the game coaches meeting on the 50 and being told the official stats....

I remember one team going to the playoffs and only one champion per class.

im old. I know the feeling.:(

Eagle2
09-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
Remember the 2008 semifinal game between Prosper and AW...The rest is sweet history.:D

I can promise you that goes down as one of the best Texas HS playoffs games ever. That took a set of balls and it worked....barely. I was sure fired up when the ref threw his hands up!

ccmom
09-24-2010, 10:19 AM
I can promise you that goes down as one of the best Texas HS playoffs games ever. That took a set of balls and it worked....barely. I was sure fired up when the ref threw his hands up!

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

That's enough!!

Haha....;)

Eagle2
09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

That's enough!!

Haha....;)

FUNNY, not talking smack there. That was an awesome game. We just got the last break. That game had it all.

LeonJr
09-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by LeonJr
Recruit Recruit Recruit. Only Mack Brown recruits better.

ttt

slpybear the bullfan
09-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Does Brownwood have a an 8th SC that was a tie?

BILLYFRED0000
09-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Does Brownwood have a an 8th SC that was a tie?

Uh that would be NO.