PDA

View Full Version : Methods for getting over first Friday Night jitters?

GrTigers6
09-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Tonight is the first thursday that my Junior son will not be playing. This week he got pulled up to varsity to see how he would do. He has been a stud on Jv these first four games. With 4 interceptions 10-12 receptions for 250+ yards and a touchdown and two point conversion. not to mention several tackles per game. Now obviously he is very nervous that he will mess up that he is too small or whatever. I told him the coaches wouldnt have brought him up unless they knew he was ready. Although that helped what are some methods you have used or your sons have used to get over that hump and perform like you are capable?

Looking4number8
09-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Good luck to your son tomorrow

Txbroadcaster
09-23-2010, 07:42 AM
First hit always takes care of jitters

LE Dad
09-23-2010, 08:11 AM
You won't have jitters for long. It is really cool to see your kid get out there and get into the fray. The only time I get nervous is when there is a huge pile... They can't get up fast enough then.

Good luck to him....just sit back and enjoy:clap: :clap:

garciap77
09-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Tonight is the first thursday that my Junior son will not be playing. This week he got pulled up to varsity to see how he would do. He has been a stud on Jv these first four games. With 4 interceptions 10-12 receptions for 250+ yards and a touchdown and two point conversion. not to mention several tackles per game. Now obviously he is very nervous that he will mess up that he is too small or whatever. I told him the coaches wouldnt have brought him up unless they knew he was ready. Although that helped what are some methods you have used or your sons have used to get over that hump and perform like you are capable?

Good luck! Hope he has a super game!

BwdLion73
09-23-2010, 08:21 AM
How will you be? The feeling I had in the stands during my sons first game was far more nerve racking than I ever felt before a game. :thinking: ;) :)

RoyceTTU
09-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Good Luck I hope he does well!!!

rholl
09-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Just tell him to pull a big trashcan close to him in the lockerroom.....better than puking on the floor!!!LOL

gatordaze
09-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by rholl
Just tell him to pull a big trashcan close to him in the lockerroom.....better than puking on the floor!!!LOL

I have a very similar situation as one of my twins was the man on JV last year and moved up to Varsity at MLB. He began the season as the starting MLB as a sophomore. There is absolutely no place to hide in Celina at that position. As it turned out he struggled because he was afraid to make a mistake and to let anyone down. He was literally over-thinking and forgot what MLB was really all about.

I am thankful that our coaches adjusted and moved him to Bear for this week which is really a DE like position that allows for less reading and more reckless abandon.

I have no doubt he will return to the middle in due time as he was born to play the position but the transition to varsity is not to be taken lightly.

Unless your son is the QB my best advice is "Be Wrong Strong" Do not hesitate as the game will blow past you. It is a game and should be fun. Tell him to play hard and not to think too much.

GreenMonster
09-23-2010, 10:28 AM
The best one that I know of is to hope he is on the kick-off/k-o return team and he's able to get him a slobber knocker right out of the gate. Usually takes a kid a real sharp blow to the head to shake the jitters and activate the "fight or flight" response. :D

Bullaholic
09-23-2010, 10:31 AM

GrTiger---My answer may be a bit obvious, but it always worked for me----

Tell your son that you will ask him one question after the game---"Son, did you do your best?" and if he answers "Yes sir", then you say--"That is all anyone can ask you to do, and we are proud of you."

Old Tiger
09-23-2010, 10:31 AM
A shot of whiskey?

All kidding aside just look at it as another thursday night game and pretend like things are normal. Don't put the game on a pedastol because its a varsity game. When you're relaxed you will play faster and make better decisions. My first varsity game was in the pasture of pain against Bellville as a sophomore back in 2003...talk about first game jitters!

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
First hit always takes care of jitters

Unless you know an injury occurs.

duckhunter
09-23-2010, 11:14 AM
white nose candy?

heard it worked for some of the former Super Bowl champion Cowboys

SHSBulldog00
09-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Just tell him to play the game and don't worry about mistakes. That's why there are 10 more guys out there playing with him. It's not him alone.

greenhornet
09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Good preparation!

Just like a test-if you studied well you are probably looking forward to taking it and seeing your results, if you didn't prepare you will be dreading it and worry

Rabid Cougar
09-23-2010, 11:57 AM
You do nothing other than what you have done since he was in the 7th grade. Pat him on the head and wish him luck.

He will handle it in his own way.

GrTigers6
09-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Thankfully for me he is my second child in this situation my oldest son graduated in 08 but was hurt during football from an accident with a tree and the tree won. His ankle has never been the same. So it's kinda like being a first time other than different kind of issues. Plus he is smaller at this age then his brother was but he is quicker and faster. I have told him all a dad can so thanks for all the inputs ideas and even the obvious jokes cause keeping him relaxed is the best method I can think of.

gatordaze
09-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Thankfully for me he is my second child in this situation my oldest son graduated in 08 but was hurt during football from an accident with a tree and the tree won. His ankle has never been the same. So it's kinda like being a first time other than different kind of issues. Plus he is smaller at this age then his brother was but he is quicker and faster. I have told him all a dad can so thanks for all the inputs ideas and even the obvious jokes cause keeping him relaxed is the best method I can think of.

Good luck! I feel ya, It is harder for us than it is for him!

JJWalker
09-23-2010, 01:07 PM
http://elgammy.com/images/cache/major-payne_266x163.jpg
Let me show you a little trick that will help him take his mind off of it!"

Cowboy_Up
09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Put your faith in the coaches that they thought enough of him to move him up and throw him into the fray. I'm sure between the coaches and his teammates they'll have him ready to eat glass and run like his hair is on fire.

As for you dad, stay away from any spicy foods on friday and drink plenty of water. A nervous stomach in no bueno during warm ups Friday night.

Eradicator
09-23-2010, 01:59 PM
TUMS!

GrTigers6
09-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Put your faith in the coaches that they thought enough of him to move him up and throw him into the fray. I'm sure between the coaches and his teammates they'll have him ready to eat glass and run like his hair is on fire.

As for you dad, stay away from any spicy foods on friday and drink plenty of water. A nervous stomach in no bueno during warm ups Friday night. Sad thing is I already have stomach issues. So i probably wont notice a difference. :)