PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum Or Gonzales - Who You Got In This Rivalry Game?

txsportswriter
09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
The Gonzales - Yoakum rivalry dates back to 1914 (one of the longest in the state) and is always a heated battle when these two teams meet. I know the Bulldogs have won the last two meetings over the Tribe convincingly, but this Friday night's game will likely be a close one. Yoakum (1-3) comes into the District 28-3A opener having lost three straight games while the Apaches, who were 1-9 a year ago, are undefeated at 4-0. The Harris Ratings have Gonzales as a 17-point favorite, but this one should be much closer than that. Who do you like in this one? Please vote and leave a message as to why you pick the team that you have picked.

YTBulldogs
09-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Yoakum wins, 28-0. Old School Bode (OSB) has the Dog's focused. Rumor has it, OSB been sleeping up at field house this week breaking down some reel to reel game film. Man, he's a classic.

fourbeee
09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
35-14 Gonzales

Lombardi
09-23-2010, 06:45 AM
The Apaches play extremely hard.... much, much better than 2009

YTBulldogs
09-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Dog's at same standing they were last year heading into district play. 1-3 record. Ykm just seem's to peak when it matters.

I think this year's club has more depth at skilled positions. OL started slow, but---has made great strides past few weeks. I think this is the week they play the whole game and create monster running lanes, and pass protect.

The defense is what will carry YT. I have not seen a quicker "D" in years here. This week, it finally all came together. And, talking about a swarming attack. GZ will not need to worry about the skeeters, it's that swarming Dog"D" that will cause them headaches tomorrow night.

Kid's understand it's one game at a time from here on out. Over look no one. Each game is vital in this district. Can't afford to take a week off when each team can beat the other. Dog's are fully aware GZ is 4-0 for a reason, and have prepared accordingly.

You'd think a 1-3 team would be down. Not this one. Kid's are upbeat and smiling. They know the season begin's tomorrow night at Bulldog Stadium vs a quality opponent.

It's time to go to work Bulldogs!!!!

Cowboy_Up
09-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Nice turn around in Gonzales. Last year Edna had the Apaches down 40-7 at half and I didn't see much fight or organization in that Apache team. Coaching change seems to have made a huge change there which is a nice thing as they sure seemed to have some good looking kids.

We played Yoakum last week and they looked really good on some plays and really bad on others. QB has to hold on to the ball. Way too many fumbles on marginal hits and he also thru it up for grabs, under pressure for sure, but up for grabs nonetheless. Take the sack and give your D a chance instead of a short field.

‘Dogs are going to have to play with more intensity and smarts. I saw two very dumb late hits where the play was clearly over and an OL just comes in and hit one of our DB late costing the ‘dogs 15. Drive killers. Hit 'em during the play. You'll get your chance.

If Yoakum ramps it up and plays with emotion and smarts they make a game of it and may win. If they play like last Friday, they lose, big.

ol country boy
09-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Taking the Apaches.....

underware
09-23-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm from Yoakum and my money would say Gonzales. But I"m still pulling for Yoakum.

SHSBulldog00
09-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Tough rivalry game but Gonzales wins.

fourbeee
09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
YTBulldog I hope your are right, but I think your living in a fantasy world. In a couple of practices this group will go from giving up an average of 32 points per game in their three Ls to shutting out Gonzales. You think they will win 28-0, but they haven't scored more than 17 all year. Are you saying the defense is going to score those extra points since all of a sudden OSB (first I ever heard him refered as that)has turned them into a swarming "Dog D"? I am a fan of the bulldogs as much as anyone, but sometime you have to be realistic. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, and I hope I am dead wrong for the Kids sake. Once again I say the Dogs stay with their average of giving up 32 points per game in a loss to the Apaches. Maybe a miracle will happen and I will be able to come back next week and say, "you were right on the money YT.

Blue42
09-23-2010, 04:15 PM
The Bulldogs have a lot of talent and can at any time beat any team if they put their harts into it.
14-13 Bulldogs

LV_Bearfan
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Bulldogs in this one. Yoakum has a way of looking really bad early and really good late. I expect the looking good part will be coming very soon.

29-3aFAN
09-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Gonzo, 28-17

bigcat8
09-24-2010, 09:02 AM
I'll take the apaches in this one

warpath
09-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Hanta Yo!!!

87 TIGER
09-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Lombardi
The Apaches play extremely hard.... much, much better than 2009 Yoy got that right ... looks like 5-0

YTBulldogs
09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by fourbeee
YTBulldog I hope your are right, but I think your living in a fantasy world. In a couple of practices this group will go from giving up an average of 32 points per game in their three Ls to shutting out Gonzales. You think they will win 28-0, but they haven't scored more than 17 all year. Are you saying the defense is going to score those extra points since all of a sudden OSB (first I ever heard him refered as that)has turned them into a swarming "Dog D"? I am a fan of the bulldogs as much as anyone, but sometime you have to be realistic. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, and I hope I am dead wrong for the Kids sake. Once again I say the Dogs stay with their average of giving up 32 points per game in a loss to the Apaches. Maybe a miracle will happen and I will be able to come back next week and say, "you were right on the money YT.

No miracle needed here 4B. Dog's win. Your like the other non-believing Yoakumites. Tough that kid's gotta battle the opponents and their own.

And yes, like I said----that "DUnit" is like they flipped a switch this week in practice. Poor JV:) Have not seen them this motivated and pumped. GZ kid's will not know what hit them. OSB is holding nothing back here.

As for the offense. To me, they are improving weekly as well. Takes a while to get these youngeons up to speed. Came off the ball better against Edna.

The "D" will score twice here against GZ, and the "O" will add 14 points themselves in the 28-0 victory.

Just looking at who each other played in ND, the Dog's have the edge here dispite the records.

DOGS are prepared for the district opener, just like last year at this time. Coach K used the ND schedule to get some kid's ready and experienced for the war and didn't show all his cards. Ran a vanilla game plan. Smart move.

29-3aFAN
09-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Someone going to post updates?

Gontex
09-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Apaches 34-16.

Gontex
09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Apaches 41-16 1:46 to go in 4th

fourbeee
09-24-2010, 09:56 PM
sorry YT Bulldogs, I wish I had been wrong

Gontex
09-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
No miracle needed here 4B. Dog's win. Your like the other non-believing Yoakumites. Tough that kid's gotta battle the opponents and their own.

And yes, like I said----that "DUnit" is like they flipped a switch this week in practice. Poor JV:) Have not seen them this motivated and pumped. GZ kid's will not know what hit them. OSB is holding nothing back here.

As for the offense. To me, they are improving weekly as well. Takes a while to get these youngeons up to speed. Came off the ball better against Edna.

The "D" will score twice here against GZ, and the "O" will add 14 points themselves in the 28-0 victory.

Just looking at who each other played in ND, the Dog's have the edge here dispite the records.

I really had to check myself to keep from saying something hurtful here, but I remember last year's game when it was 54-15 or something like that. It was not a good feeling in Gonzales, because I really felt like there was way too much talent there for them to be playing like they were. For the most part, these are the same kids, but what a difference a new coach has made. I'm sure you feel the same way about your team. Better times ahead for the Dogs, I'm sure.

DOGS are prepared for the district opener, just like last year at this time. Coach K used the ND schedule to get some kid's ready and experienced for the war and didn't show all his cards. Ran a vanilla game plan. Smart move.

Gontex
09-25-2010, 05:59 AM
My reply did not show up in the above box. Just wanted you to know it wasn't something hurtful toward the Dogs. I remember how it felt to lose 54-15 last year. Better days are ahead for the Dogs. Hang in there. Don't give up on your team.

warpath
09-25-2010, 09:32 AM
the apaches got after it in the second half...congrats

YTBulldogs
09-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks Gontex. Your Apaches are 4 real.

Congrats GZ and best of luck the rest of the way. Top 4 (Cuero, LV, SH, GZ) in the district should have some exciting games to determine the district champ.

Nice following you brought to our house too GZ. One day Ykm will back their boy's like Cuero, GZ and LV does. I hope!!! Next year, we have to have a fat man, with a big Y on that over hang, running the sidelines with a blue YT flag waving. And, a bald headed, big ear guy, with Dog's painted on his scalp, trying to get this nursing home like crowd fired up. It's really sad the support given to these kid's. Someone told me they heard the PA guy say, "B 22". Thought they had a bingo game going on during the game.

I'll admit, I have no clue about this team. I see 85% of their practices and I still have no clue how they will perform. Talent yes, get them to play- No. Love my Dog's so much it kill's me not to see them play up to their capabilities.

I just don't see them having that inner desire anymore. That give it "whatever it takes" drive when the game can go either way. I notice that with at all the teams in the HS system too. I'm totally lost here. I coached all these kid's in their CYFL career and NEVER seen them lay down when it's time to step up. It was alway's the other way, we crushed opponents when it mattered. I know the coaches are pumping them up like they should in their talks with them. Hell, I get fired up myself when I hear them speak to the kids. But, it goes in one ear and out the other. After that motivation speech from coaches, kid's are talking about other issue's instead of football. Amazing. It's like the kid's don't want to sacriface, cause it takes too much effort. Losing is easy guys, winning takes work.

That being said, I still say this team could run the table. That's how odd and confusion this team is.

I still love ya Dog's.