PDA

View Full Version : Wade Phillips might be a goner...?

BullsFan
09-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Fact or fiction? You be the judge.

http://prosportsblogging.com/nfl-football/dallas-cowboys/rumour-cowboys-on-the-verge-of-firing-wade-phillips/

(For the link wary, rumor from two "great" sources says if the Cowboys lose to Houston and go 0-3 Wade is out of a job.)

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
until I see something from a more reputable source I dont buy it.

Also not a big fan of replacing a coach in season from outside the team. I dont think it would help one bit

RoyceTTU
09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I hope its fact. If they get Cower I would be excited.

Maybe my memory is bad but I thought Garrett was the "coach in waiting" or was that more speculation that fact?

LE Dad
09-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I hope its fact. If they get Cower I would be excited.

Maybe my memory is bad but I thought Garrett was the "coach in waiting" or was that more speculation that fact? I think key word may be "was".

sinton66
09-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Phillips is coaching the defense almost exclusively now. Defense is NOT Dallas' problem. Phillips' only problem is he can't choose his own assistants.

Eagle 1
09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm not buying it, but I would like to have a head coach who is NOT so passive.

RoyceTTU
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
after some quick googling, aparantly Gruden is in the mix. Either way, whoever we end up with needs to be a hard nosed disciplin type that oozes accountablity.

Macarthur
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I don't think he would bring anyone in mid-season.

I suspect he would make Garrett the HC and give him an audition.

All the while, he would be priming the pump with several others.

My wet dream would be that Adams decides to let Fisher go, which I don't think is too far fetched. I would be all over Fisher.

pirate4state
09-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Yeah, I don't think he would bring anyone in mid-season.

I suspect he would make Garrett the HC and give him an audition.

All the while, he would be priming the pump with several others.

My wet dream would be that Adams decides to let Fisher go, which I don't think is too far fetched. I would be all over Fisher. LOL

I love me some Jeff Fischer!!! I wouldn't mind Chucky stepping out of the booth either.

Bullaholic
09-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
after some quick googling, aparantly Gruden is in the mix. Either way, whoever we end up with needs to be a hard nosed disciplin type that oozes accountablity.

I don't think Cowher wants to work for JJ, plus I think he has a daughter in school on the East Coast--which is where I think he will end up.

I think Gruden has done everything but bribe JJ to coach the Cowboys, and I think he is going to be the choice. Only time will tell. I think the ax falls on Wade if the Cowboys lose to Houston.

With regard to the Cowboys current situation, I think it is like Jerry Clower said-"Shoot up in here anywhere--one of us has got to have some relief."

DDBooger
09-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Is Fox still in Carolina?

IrishTex
09-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Wade knows defense...

The question is, the next head coach will have to be like Cower, but be a servant to Jerry like Wade....

Hard to find that kind of coach..

SintonFan_inAustin
09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Bill Cowher does want to coach the Cowboys and hope so might have connections for tickets :)

IrishTex
09-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Bill Cowher does want to coach the Cowboys and hope so might have connections for tickets :)

I would LOVE to see some Cower INTENSITY on the Cowboys sideline.....I think we have been needing that for a long time. (since Jimmy).

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
I would LOVE to see some Cower INTENSITY on the Cowboys sideline.....I think we have been needing that for a long time. (since Jimmy).

So when Parcells was here did he not have intensity?

IrishTex
09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Who knew? He kept trying to evade the questions and you never really knew what Big Bill was thinking....Cower wears his feelings on his sleeve..ya gotta like that.

sinton66
09-22-2010, 11:59 AM
As long as Jerry and his son are making the decisions, not much will change. Jerry showed that when he ran Jimmiy Johnson off. High profile coaches won't coach for Jerry because they won't get any power to do anything. I sure wouldn't. All that said, it's Jerry's money and he can do whatever he wants with it. Maybe someday he'll wake up and realize his hopes of another Super Bowl are sliding out of the picture because of his own doing, but I doubt it. His ego won't let him believe that.

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
As long as Jerry and his son are making the decisions, not much will change. Jerry showed that when he ran Jimmiy Johnson off. High profile coaches won't coach for Jerry because they won't get any power to do anything. I sure wouldn't. All that said, it's Jerry's money and he can do whatever he wants with it. Maybe someday he'll wake up and realize his hopes of another Super Bowl are sliding out of the picture because of his own doing, but I doubt it. His ego won't let him believe that.

one of the biggest misconceptions is he ran Jimmy off..Jimmy was gone..Johnson has said that himself..he was a builder and not a sustainer and was already looking for a challenge after the First SB win( that was why he talked with expansion Jacksonville). All Jerry did was give Jimmy the excuse to leave without looking like the bad guy.

Bullaholic
09-22-2010, 12:01 PM

IMO, now that the Cowboys-Parcells era has come and gone, that he was hired to train Steven in the ways of the GM and front-office procedures, and if he won a Superbowl somewhere along the way---icing on the cake. I think there was a huge difference in desire between the NYG Parcells and the Cowboys Parcells. He never seemed to get very excited or too involved in anything with regard to the players other than designating certain former Parcells players as "Parcells guys".

sinton66
09-22-2010, 12:09 PM
one of the biggest misconceptions is he ran Jimmy off..Jimmy was gone..Johnson has said that himself..he was a builder and not a sustainer and was already looking for a challenge after the First SB win( that was why he talked with expansion Jacksonville). All Jerry did was give Jimmy the excuse to leave without looking like the bad guy.

I figure the "challenge" Jimmy was looking for was in the area of Player Personnel and GM. That wasn't in Jerry's plans. The "public" face of it probably looks different from what was reality.

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
IMO, now that the Cowboys-Parcells era has come and gone, that he was hired to train Steven in the ways of the GM and front-office procedures, and if he won a Superbowl somewhere along the way---icing on the cake. I think there was a huge difference in desire between the NYG Parcells and the Cowboys Parcells. He never seemed to get very excited or too involved in anything with regard to the players other than designating certain former Parcells players as "Parcells guys".

good points..and also Parcells came back cause a divorce left him giving a ton of money to his ex..so I think his heart was not as much into as his wallet

DDBooger
09-22-2010, 12:50 PM
good points..and also Parcells came back cause a divorce left him giving a ton of money to his ex..so I think his heart was not as much into as his wallet He's much more comfortable in the box seats and office building a team rather than coaching it imo. Heard Miami's new ownership is sort of pushing him out.

BullsFan
09-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Jimmy can say that now, but I'm not sure he would have left the possibility of the first ever threepeat if he hadn't lost his temper over Jerry's ill-timed and inaccurate comment. I think we'd be in the record books right now if Jerry had just kept his trap shut.

(I am not a Jerry hater, but I do believe he was the catalyst that set things in motion on this issue.)

sinton66
09-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Jimmy can say that now, but I'm not sure he would have left the possibility of the first ever threepeat if he hadn't lost his temper over Jerry's ill-timed and inaccurate comment. I think we'd be in the record books right now if Jerry had just kept his trap shut.

(I am not a Jerry hater, but I do believe he was the catalyst that set things in motion on this issue.)

Me too.

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2010, 01:09 PM

oh I dont disagree..but Aikman and others have even said they doubt the team could handle another year of Johnson and his basically bi-polar way of running the team.

rojosgirl
09-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Dallas' problems = Jerry Jones. Nuff said.

:weeping:

BullsFan
09-22-2010, 01:44 PM
oh I dont disagree..but Aikman and others have even said they doubt the team could handle another year of Johnson and his basically bi-polar way of running the team.

It's a dirty rotten shame we didn't get a chance to see.

95mustang
09-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
Dallas' problems = Jerry Jones. Nuff said.

:weeping:

No, Dallas' problems = no heart. These guys play without heart as a team. I'm not saying everyone, but as a whole they seem to have lost their drive somewhere.

BullsFan
09-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
No, Dallas' problems = no heart. These guys play without heart as a team. I'm not saying everyone, but as a whole they seem to have lost their drive somewhere.

Lack of leadership on the team has to be part of it. I like Tony Romo as a guy, but I don't know if he has it in him.

slpybear the bullfan
09-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Agreed. For all the talk about Jerry's fault, Wade's fault, the truth is... all the great Cowboys teams had incredible leaders inside the lockerroom that set the bar high for their team mates and held them accountable.

Do you see that in this current version? Honestly?

I don't.

PS -

Not a Jerry Hater and believe he is learning his lessons. And would rather have him that most every other owner in the league.

Not a Jimmy groupie. I believe he was just what the doctor ordered in 91. But his methods could not be sustained.

Not a Wade as HC fan. Like the DC job he does tho.

What do I like? Steak. ;)

teetle
09-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Theys use to be Americas Team. Now, Jerry has turned thems into Americas punch lines. Jerry needs to looks in the mirror. The enemy bes him.:D :eek: :eek: :D

Farmersfan
09-23-2010, 08:20 AM

I'm thinking that the biggest problem with that situation was the quick rise to success that the team had. Both Jimmy and Jerry took way too much credit for building a 3 SuperBowl team that would not have happened if it hadn't been for a really lucrative trade with the Vikings! Jimmy was a good coach but wore out his welcome very quickly! Wade on the other hand has a lot of X's & O's in his head but there is more to coaching than that! I don't think Wade motivates in the least and this team has essentually stagnated under him!
I dared not hope for Wade to be fired after Sunday's game but it could likely be the BEST thing to happen for this team. (Regardless of who takes over for him). A attitude change is needed more than a personell change and firing Wade would certainly "Change" the attitude of the players! Hopefully that change would be beneficial and not detrimental!

Farmersfan
09-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by teetle
Theys use to be Americas Team. Now, Jerry has turned thems into Americas punch lines. Jerry needs to looks in the mirror. The enemy bes him.:D :eek: :eek: :D

I think it's unfair to say Jerry has turned them into America's punchline! Perhaps "America's Expectations" have turned them into a punchline! With the success of the 90's this team earned very, very high expectations from everyone! For most of the 14 year period of mediocrity in Dallas it was a fact that the team was not very talented! And they performed like a team that was not very talented. (They weren't very talented in the front office either and the draft showed it) It wasn't until Parcells started building this team that the level of talent increased enough for the team to begin to compete at a level that America felt it should. In my opinion this team has become a "Punch Line" during the past 3 or 4 years because they have had a lot of talent but couldn't put together the success they should have. Before that they were just a middle of the road team with a revolving door for Head Coaches and QB's!

Farmersfan
09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
COWHER! COWHER! COWHER! COWHER!

:D :D

Txbroadcaster
09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I'm thinking that the biggest problem with that situation was the quick rise to success that the team had. Both Jimmy and Jerry took way too much credit for building a 3 SuperBowl team that would not have happened if it hadn't been for a really lucrative trade with the Vikings! Jimmy was a good coach but wore out his welcome very quickly! Wade on the other hand has a lot of X's & O's in his head but there is more to coaching than that! I don't think Wade motivates in the least and this team has essentually stagnated under him!
I dared not hope for Wade to be fired after Sunday's game but it could likely be the BEST thing to happen for this team. (Regardless of who takes over for him). A attitude change is needed more than a personell change and firing Wade would certainly "Change" the attitude of the players! Hopefully that change would be beneficial and not detrimental!

Wade coaches like his dad for good or bad..Bum believed that as adults he should not have to motivate his team.

I dont see any positive to firing a coach in season. Especially with possible work stoppage. If Wade is fired Garret becomes HC..who becomes DC?

Like it or not I think we are stuck with Wade at least thru November..now if at that point Dallas has truly failed I could see Jones letting Garrett get a one month try out as HC to see if that is who he wants for the next season.

handNthedirt
09-24-2010, 05:26 AM
Fire Garrett, demote Wade to DC, hire Gruden. Cowher waiting on Carolina job.

GrTigers6
09-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Firing a coach during the season almost always guarantees a missed playoffs end if not a losing season. You cant get a new coach with new playbooks and be successful right away. if it does happen it is very rare. Unless its someone within current system. But I dont know anyone that would be a good coach within the current system, so I guess we need to just suffer through another we are almost there kinda season.

IrishTex
09-24-2010, 06:20 AM
There have been 102 teams open the season 0-3 since 1990. Guess how many made the playoffs?

Three.

If the Cowboys lose Sunday, history shows they have a 2.9 % chance of making the playoffs.

IrishTex
09-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Saw this on ESPN and thought it was thought provoking..lol

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/LewP/pg2_texans_cowboys_576.gif

New Sheriff in town...

Farmersfan
09-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Saw this on ESPN and thought it was thought provoking..lol

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/LewP/pg2_texans_cowboys_576.gif

New Sheriff in town...

That is almost as irritating as watching Prosper strut around Celina after a brief moment of success in a long history of failure!!! I think the Texans might actually need to do SOMETHING before they can be the "NEW SHERIFF" in town!

I could easily learn to like the Texans unless I see arrogance or showboating from the players or fans about beating Dallas when they are playing so badly! The Texans would earn the respect of a lot of Cowboys fans if they simply play a tough game and win with class! but of course we won't see that!

buff4ever
09-24-2010, 09:14 AM
I think it's unfair to say Jerry has turned them into America's punchline! Perhaps "America's Expectations" have turned them into a punchline! With the success of the 90's this team earned very, very high expectations from everyone! For most of the 14 year period of mediocrity in Dallas it was a fact that the team was not very talented! And they performed like a team that was not very talented. (They weren't very talented in the front office either and the draft showed it) It wasn't until Parcells started building this team that the level of talent increased enough for the team to begin to compete at a level that America felt it should. In my opinion this team has become a "Punch Line" during the past 3 or 4 years because they have had a lot of talent but couldn't put together the success they should have. Before that they were just a middle of the road team with a revolving door for Head Coaches and QB's!

You say "America's Expectations", who do you see out there making these expectations more than possibly anybody. JERRY JONES, he has made it clear how much he expected to be able to play in the super bowl in his new stadium bla bla bla bla.

Huge cowboy fan here, Jerry is involved more than any owner in the leage maybe not including schneider in oakland or another that I don't know about. Look at the past few super bowl champions and you will see that the owner has a good staff and coach doing the football work and they sit back and enjoy watching the football people run their team very successfully.

Jerry's ways of running his team hasn't been very successful with several coaches and lots of talent. Something isn't working, and there is a lot of jerry involved, so Jerry definitely plays in. I would expect that some of the better coaches definitely consider jerry when thinking of coaching in dallas. What they will finally decide when the time comes we will see.

PS, huge cowboy fan, not necessarily a huge Jerry fan.

Bullaholic
09-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
You say "America's Expectations", who do you see out there making these expectations more than possibly anybody. JERRY JONES, he has made it clear how much he expected to be able to play in the super bowl in his new stadium bla bla bla bla.

Huge cowboy fan here, Jerry is involved more than any owner in the leage maybe not including schneider in oakland or another that I don't know about. Look at the past few super bowl champions and you will see that the owner has a good staff and coach doing the football work and they sit back and enjoy watching the football people run their team very successfully.

Jerry's ways of running his team hasn't been very successful with several coaches and lots of talent. Something isn't working, and there is a lot of jerry involved, so Jerry definitely plays in. I would expect that some of the better coaches definitely consider jerry when thinking of coaching in dallas. What they will finally decide when the time comes we will see.

I really do kind of feel for ol' Wade right now as a person---he really doesn't know whether to poop or go blind right now.

Farmersfan
09-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever

You made a lot of blanket statements about Jerry Jones. But no other owner has 3 Superbowls in such a short amount of time. Jerry has a lot of issues that in my opinion effect the team in a negative way but I would rather have a owner that wants to win than one who doesn't seem to care!

Jerry Jones was voted #1 franchise owner in the NFL in a tie with the Patriots owner.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-ownerrankingsparttwo090310

Farmersfan
09-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I really do kind of feel for ol' Wade right now as a person---he really doesn't know whether to poop or go blind right now.

Based on his expressions on the field I don't think he ever knew!!!!

IrishTex
09-24-2010, 12:00 PM
I just heard a rumor...don't have any idea if it's true....but alledgedly, ESPN is reporting Cower camp leaked that that Phillips is fired Monday, regardless of this sunday's result...I'll try to follow up on this.

Txbroadcaster
09-24-2010, 12:05 PM
I just heard a rumor...don't have any idea if it's true....but alledgedly, ESPN is reporting Cower camp leaked that that Phillips is fired Monday, regardless of this sunday's result...I'll try to follow up on this.

If ESPN was reporting it I would think it would be splashed all over their site

coach
09-24-2010, 01:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5611019

Farmersfan
09-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't expect Jerry would fire Wade in the middle of the season. He is very fond of saying "never let your money get mad"!!!! And realistically the only way I would want him to is IF he had Cowher to step in.

buff4ever
09-24-2010, 02:18 PM
You made a lot of blanket statements about Jerry Jones. But no other owner has 3 Superbowls in such a short amount of time. Jerry has a lot of issues that in my opinion effect the team in a negative way but I would rather have a owner that wants to win than one who doesn't seem to care!

Jerry Jones was voted #1 franchise owner in the NFL in a tie with the Patriots owner.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-ownerrankingsparttwo090310

I for one, plus many others didn't vote on that pole :D :D

OldNavy
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Jerry Jones lost my respect by the way he treated Tom Landry when he purchased the Cowboys. With all his success he has done nothing to earn any respect from me.

The Washington Red Skins paid more homage to Tom Landry than Jerry Jones did. I don't think Jerry reveres character, spirit, and leadership. He has tried to out athlete other teams by "taking a chance" on people with little character but long rap sheets.

I think he was lucky to get the quality team he had. Look at the character of the Smith, Johnson, Aikman, and Bill Bates (too small and too slow to play pro ball). Those guys lead with effort. Emmet was too slow and too small to do what he did. Aikman wasn't mobile enough to be a great pro quarterback. All Moose had was a determination to block you that could not be over come. I don't know that you coach that, but you can sure hire people with that mind set. Jerry has not placed much emphasis on that in his tenure in my opinion.

I used to say being a Dallas Cowboy fan was a birthright. I'm thinking now it might be a birth defect.

Txbroadcaster
09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by OldNavy
Jerry Jones lost my respect by the way he treated Tom Landry when he purchased the Cowboys. With all his success he has done nothing to earn any respect from me.

The Washington Red Skins paid more homage to Tom Landry than Jerry Jones did. I don't think Jerry reveres character, spirit, and leadership. He has tried to out athlete other teams by "taking a chance" on people with little character but long rap sheets.

I think he was lucky to get the quality team he had. Look at the character of the Smith, Johnson, Aikman, and Bill Bates (too small and too slow to play pro ball). Those guys lead with effort. Emmet was too slow and too small to do what he did. Aikman wasn't mobile enough to be a great pro quarterback. All Moose had was a determination to block you that could not be over come. I don't know that you coach that, but you can sure hire people with that mind set. Jerry has not placed much emphasis on that in his tenure in my opinion.

I used to say being a Dallas Cowboy fan was a birthright. I'm thinking now it might be a birth defect.

Poor JOnes..he takes flack for doing the RIGHT THING with Landry..when the sale was done Bum, Bright offered to fire Landry for Jones...Jerry said no, it is my choice and I will do it..he just never realized going to eat with Jimmy Johnson in public would create the buzz ir did( dont forget at this time Jerry was NOT media savy)

Jones also did not want to do it on the phone but in person, but the photo with Johnson broke and by the time Jones flew to Austin Landry knew

OldNavy
09-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Poor JOnes..he takes flack for doing the RIGHT THING with Landry..when the sale was done Bum, Bright offered to fire Landry for Jones...Jerry said no, it is my choice and I will do it..he just never realized going to eat with Jimmy Johnson in public would create the buzz ir did( dont forget at this time Jerry was NOT media savy)

Jones also did not want to do it on the phone but in person, but the photo with Johnson broke and by the time Jones flew to Austin Landry knew

Doing the right thing has nothing to do with being "media savy." I don't think anyone believed that Coach Landry was the future of the Cowboys, but he sure was a most significant part of the Cowboy's past and what made them America's Team. All Jerry should have done was acknowledge that. Heck the Redskins gave coach Landry a parade. I bet they did that only because they were "media savy."

I do not know Jerry Jones, I am sure he is a nice man. But he has done things with this team over the years that I simply don't respect. It may be good business, but I'm not buying his stock.

BullsFan
09-24-2010, 03:39 PM
My understanding is that Jerry Jones wanted to go ahead and talk to Tom Landry about it, but Tex Schramm (I think you mean him and not Bum Bright) insisted that he had to be there as well, and it was his scheduling that caused the press to break the news before anyone could talk to Tom in person.

Txbroadcaster
09-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Doing the right thing has nothing to do with being "media savy." I don't think anyone believed that Coach Landry was the future of the Cowboys, but he sure was a most significant part of the Cowboy's past and what made them America's Team. All Jerry should have done was acknowledge that. Heck the Redskins gave coach Landry a parade. I bet they did that only because they were "media savy."

I do not know Jerry Jones, I am sure he is a nice man. But he has done things with this team over the years that I simply don't respect. It may be good business, but I'm not buying his stock.

You need to go back and read WHY Jones did not honor Landry...Landry would not have anything to do with Cowboys until he finally agreed when he was inducted into the Ring of Honor. Landry was bitter and said no to all advances by Jones and the Team to honor him..remember he felt he could still be the HC so he shut off all communications with the Cowboys.

And please link about Skins giving Landry a parade I never heard that and think that is cool

Txbroadcaster
09-24-2010, 03:42 PM
My understanding is that Jerry Jones wanted to go ahead and talk to Tom Landry about it, but Tex Schramm (I think you mean him and not Bum Bright) insisted that he had to be there as well, and it was his scheduling that caused the press to break the news before anyone could talk to Tom in person.

ur right on Tex wanting to being there..but it was Bum who offered to fire Landry( he actually was not a fan of Landry at all)

Deuce
09-24-2010, 04:09 PM
ur right on Tex wanting to being there..but it was Bum who offered to fire Landry( he actually was not a fan of Landry at all)

Is it just me, or are you the biggest Cowboy defender on here?

OldNavy
09-24-2010, 05:34 PM
You need to go back and read WHY Jones did not honor Landry...Landry would not have anything to do with Cowboys until he finally agreed when he was inducted into the Ring of Honor. Landry was bitter and said no to all advances by Jones and the Team to honor him..remember he felt he could still be the HC so he shut off all communications with the Cowboys.

And please link about Skins giving Landry a parade I never heard that and think that is cool

Sorry, I don't have a link, but think is was mid to late 89 and he was placed in Touchdown Club of Washington's Hall of Fame.

Jerry Jones may be a great man, I am sure he is, but he still has a long way to go for me to have the kind of respect for him that I have for Coach Landry.

I am not convinced that Jerry could not have handled it better if he had wanted to. The other overtures he made, after the firing, was an attempt at damage control. I don't blame coach Landry for not trusting him.

Txbroadcaster
09-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Deuce
Is it just me, or are you the biggest Cowboy defender on here?

It is not defending the Cowboys it is defending the truth of what happen. Bum Bright was not a Landry fan his one stipulation to ANYONE who bought Dallas was they had to replace Landry as HC.

Read Boys Will be Boys Chapter 2...Bright even said after the fact he wanted to fire Landry in 87.

Txbroadcaster
09-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Sorry, I don't have a link, but think is was mid to late 89 and he was placed in Touchdown Club of Washington's Hall of Fame.

Jerry Jones may be a great man, I am sure he is, but he still has a long way to go for me to have the kind of respect for him that I have for Coach Landry.

I am not convinced that Jerry could not have handled it better if he had wanted to. The other overtures he made, after the firing, was an attempt at damage control. I don't blame coach Landry for not trusting him.

Jerry has admitted time after time he wished he would have handled it better, I just think he gets a bad rap because honestly how Landry acted after..it was not mistrust of Jones, but bitterness by Landry, he felt that he could still turn the team around. It was time for him to go, but if he was not willing to step aside it was going to be ugly for whoever fired him because of his status

Txbroadcaster
09-24-2010, 05:51 PM

For the record that Club is not part of the Skins..yes they administer their team awards, but they also give out NFL player of the year awards.

Their HOF has MANY people never affilated with the Skins likepeople like Gene Upshaw Johnny Unitas,Jim Thorpe Walter Camp and so on

OldNavy
09-24-2010, 05:57 PM
OK, I stand corrected, Jerry's a saint, I'm wrong. Go Cowboys!

Txbroadcaster
09-24-2010, 06:21 PM
OK, I stand corrected, Jerry's a saint, I'm wrong. Go Cowboys!

I love how the argument always turns to that..I have not said he was a saint, he has MANY faults in how he runs the Cowboys..problem is to many people generalize him into caricture moments instead of reading the facts of what happen.

It is easy to demonize someone like Jones, and I think to many do just that