PDA

View Full Version : Are there any athletic booster club members out there?

GrTigers6
09-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I am the president of Glen Rose Athletic booster club and I just had a thought of possibly sharing ideas for fundraisers.
We have tried several things some work well and some worked ok.
One thing we started this year was a golf tournament. very successful!
I thought maybe if we shared ideas we could all benefit. I mean, it really is just for the kids, no matter what town they are from.

:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2010, 06:35 PM
:wave: Secretary here...

I like the idea of a golf tournament! We had a movie night a couple of years ago and I think we about broke even. lol Merchandise and concessions are our big money-raisers, but we did take on the Fall Sports Program this year and it's been pretty successful!

GrTigers6
09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah merchandise and concessions for us too. We have hamburger suppers and ice cream suppers. We usually get the stuff donated by the parents or local businesses. Like most towns we have a tremendous amount of business support.

BaseballUmp
09-21-2010, 06:41 PM
We have a lot of golf tourneys here at Texas State and I'm pretty sure they always do well

GrTigers6
09-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
We have a lot of golf tourneys here at Texas State and I'm pretty sure they always do well And having one of the best public courses right across town really helped too.

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2010, 06:43 PM
The bad thing (maybe) about our booster club hosting a golf tournament is we'd either have to have it in Cedar Park area or Burnet. :doh:

GrTigers6
09-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
The bad thing (maybe) about our booster club hosting a golf tournament is we'd either have to have it in Cedar Park area or Burnet. :doh: yeah that makes it tough

Tin Cup
09-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Golf Tournaments are a great way to raise money. As a Golf Pro in Houston, I do approimately 25-30 fundraisers a year for various organizations. The key is to get the community involved and a golf professional staff that is willing to get on board and support the event. You have to have reasonable rates from both the course itself in what they charge and what you charge per player or team.

Ways to generate revenue:
*Have a restaurant donate food for the event and allow meal tickets to be purchased by "non-golfers" following play.
*Sell Mulligans- (set a limit per team bc if you allow too many mulligans pace of play becomes very slow.)
*Designate a hole for members of the High School golf team to hit tee shots for the team to use as their drive. If the team doesn't pay they can hit their tee shots as normal. This is a fun way for the kids to interact with tournament participants and a way to see who the money can benefit.
*Have the golf shop donate Lessons, Rounds of Golf for 4, or Merchandise to auction off. (Every tournament, I donate 2 lessons for auction and I promise you it is worth it from the publicity and teaching I gain in return)
*Don't go overboard with prizes and tee gifts. Make it worth while for the player to participate, but don't spend all your income on this.
*Hole Sponsor Signs

There are many other things you can do but the key is to make it fun and get the kids involved!

I won't ramble any further, but should you have any questions or want additional info feel free to PM me.

ccmom
09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
Golf Tournaments are a great way to raise money. As a Golf Pro in Houston, I do approimately 25-30 fundraisers a year for various organizations. The key is to get the community involved and a golf professional staff that is willing to get on board and support the event. You have to have reasonable rates from both the course itself in what they charge and what you charge per player or team.

*Have a restaurant donate food for the event and allow meal tickets to be purchased by "non-golfers" following play.
*Sell Mulligans- (set a limit per team bc if you allow too many mulligans pace of play becomes very slow.)
*Designate a hole for members of the High School golf team to hit tee shots for the team to use as their drive. If the team doesn't pay they can hit their tee shots as normal. This is a fun way for the kids to interact with tournament participants and a way to see who the money can benefit.
*Have the golf shop donate Lessons, Rounds of Golf for 4, or Merchandise to auction off. (Every tournament, I donate 2 lessons for auction and I promise you it is worth it from the publicity and teaching I gain in return)
*Don't go overboard with prizes and tee gifts. Make it worth while for the player to participate, but don't spend all your income on this.
*Hole Sponsor Signs

There are many other things you can do but the key is to make it fun and get the kids involved!

I won't ramble any further, but should you have any questions or want additional info feel free to PM me.

Did you play golf at HSU?

Tin Cup
09-21-2010, 07:42 PM
yes

ccmom
09-21-2010, 07:45 PM
yes

Awesome...I've played with many HSU golfers. I've probably beat ya a time or two. :D

:hijacktd: Sorry

Tin Cup
09-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Haha that's not saying much! I did meet nobogey out at Fairway one day. That was miserable :D

ccmom
09-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Haha that's not saying much! I did meet nobogey out at Fairway one day. That was miserable :D

I bet it was during "working" hours, too.

:D

I want to be like him when I get OLD. ;)

GrTigers6
09-21-2010, 08:04 PM
*Hole Sponsor Signs

I won't ramble any further, but should you have any questions or want additional info feel free to PM me. :) that is nearly exactly what we did however our HS golfers ended up not being able to make it. so we did a closest to the hole and all the par 3's had a hole in one prize. 5, 10, and 15,000. we also sold teams a chance to hit laying 2 on a par 5 from 150 yards out. The only teams that didnt pay were ironically the coaches and team of ex hs golfers. plus we had most of the prizes donated and we had 27 hole sponsors. Its amazing how the businesses will help out in any way they can.

44INAROW
09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
FYI on the golf tourney's.. talk to your insurance agent and see if they'll sponsor a "hole in one" Hole - It's really an "event policy" and CHEAP- (depending on what you want the prize to be) but for a nice Club Car - it only costs $250 or so and the agency will usually pay that premium for advertisement on that hole. Like TinCup said - do Mulligan's for sure and don't go nuts with prizes.. 90% of the time - folks donate the prize $$$ back when it's a good cause. Another thing - get the boys/girls on the HS golf team to be there to help the golfers get their clubs out of their vehicles and stuff like that - they'll pick up tips (and donate them back to the club :))

in Cuero - the Booster Club sponsors a Volleyball tourney in the fall and the Gobbler Relays in the spring and that is our primary fundraiser as well as selling tee shirts, etc at the ballgames.

CenTexSports
09-21-2010, 08:12 PM
In tournaments that I have been invloved, there are three things that I suggest.

1) Have an auction for donated prizes (pure profit).
2) Get as many hole sponsers as possible (pure profit).
3) Pay out all of the entry fees for 1st, 2nd and 3rd (or last place if you like). This gets more return participants.

These things along with the mulligans are the money makers.

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
in Cuero - the Booster Club sponsors the Gobbler Relays in the spring
We normally have Panther Relays, but weren't able to last year due to the condition of our track. Thank goodness it's been fixed!

44INAROW
09-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We normally have Panther Relays, but weren't able to last year due to the condition of our track. Thank goodness it's been fixed!
yea - when we were having our track "redone" a while back, we had Gobbler Relays in Yorktown lol

GrTigers6
09-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
FYI on the golf tourney's.. talk to your insurance agent and see if they'll sponsor a "hole in one" Hole - It's really an "event policy" and CHEAP- (depending on what you want the prize to be) but for a nice Club Car - it only costs $250 or so and the agency will usually pay that premium for advertisement on that hole. Like TinCup said - do Mulligan's for sure and don't go nuts with prizes.. 90% of the time - folks donate the prize $$$ back when it's a good cause. Another thing - get the boys/girls on the HS golf team to be there to help the golfers get their clubs out of their vehicles and stuff like that - they'll pick up tips (and donate them back to the club :))

in Cuero - the Booster Club sponsors a Volleyball tourney in the fall and the Gobbler Relays in the spring and that is our primary fundraiser as well as selling tee shirts, etc at the ballgames. Volleyball tourney sounds like a good idea. Last year we did a parents night on the first sat after workouts started. it was very popular bu didnt net any money but we werent out more than about 300. We had a mother daughter volleyball game and a father son football game. (7on7) style. We concluded the evening with a ice cream supper and a concert by a local Texas music band.

ApacheForever
09-21-2010, 09:03 PM
We sell souveniers and t-shirts at the home games. We also are in charge of the sports program that we make about 10 to 15 thousand. We have the boys sign a football and we sell chances for the fans to win the football and 50% of the money. his year we added a metal bench for a raffle that was made at Kaspar Wire Works with our school colors and mascot.
During the year we handle the concession stands at the basketball tournament and track meet. We are in charge of the concession for baseball and softball. We also hold a golf tournament in the spring that is two days with four flights.
At the very beginning of the school year we hold a "Meet the Apaches Night" where we sell bbq plates and introduce all of the fall sports. Kind of like a pep rally to kick off the year.

bobcat1
09-21-2010, 10:46 PM
I know Roclet is the biggest Athletic Supporter Bwood has. Does that count?:D

pirate4state
09-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by ApacheForever
We sell souveniers and t-shirts at the home games. We also are in charge of the sports program that we make about 10 to 15 thousand. We have the boys sign a football and we sell chances for the fans to win the football and 50% of the money. his year we added a metal bench for a raffle that was made at Kaspar Wire Works with our school colors and mascot.
During the year we handle the concession stands at the basketball tournament and track meet. We are in charge of the concession for baseball and softball. We also hold a golf tournament in the spring that is two days with four flights.
At the very beginning of the school year we hold a "Meet the Apaches Night" where we sell bbq plates and introduce all of the fall sports. Kind of like a pep rally to kick off the year. This sounds a lot like what we do. We have had to stop raffles and have never had volleyball/basketball concessions (school board profits from that) but we do get softball, baseball & track. We host the district junior high track meet ($$$$) and Pirate relays. The past 2 years we have hosted 2 summer track meets...wow...lots of work, but we made a nice chunk of change! :D

"Meet the Pirates & Lady Pirates" is our big kick off with booster membership drive. The sales from ads in our fall program is our huge money maker. Then of course, all sorts of merchandise sales during every sport. Our biggest sellers are the stadium chairs and jackets. We have a really nice blanket & tote this year for the ladies :D

BTW - LHPM - everyone loved the cowbell. :inlove:

buckeyebob
09-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Our largest single money maker is advertising sales for internet/cable TV broadcast of the game.

GrTigers6
09-22-2010, 05:56 AM
We also sell banner sponsorships to hang at the stadium and one with all the sponsors on it for the gym.

87 TIGER
09-22-2010, 07:36 AM
I am the president of our booster club, our golf tournament is a big fundraiser for us, hole sponsers, fee to players, auction, mulligans are all great ways to make money. We have a meet the Tigers night and sell cakes, signed footballs, volleyballs, parking passes, this is a huge money maker. Program ads for football, basketball, baseball, and softball, and then we sell the programs. Tiger cards with discounts for local businesses. Gameball raffels, volleyball tourney in the summer, concessions, and we charge fans to be members of the booster club. T shirt sales, get the jr high level kids to sell stuff such as cookie dough, or reallt anything that age can really sell alot.

jason
09-22-2010, 08:03 AM
i played in a golf tournament that was a fundraiser for a football program and they had a few 'extras' that you could buy to help raise money...

on one of the par 3's they had their kicker on the tee box and for $5 you would have the kicker kick a ball and you got to hit your tee shot from wherever it landed, and if for some reason it bounced into a crappy spot they let you move it back into the fairway...

another fundraiser, was you were allowed one throw of the ball - you could use it wherever and whenever you wanted...

they also had a betting hole - it was a par 3 and you could bet basically as much as you wanted, i think they had a $5 minimum and if you were able to hit it on the green you won a sleeve of cheap balls that had been donated and if you hit it to within something like a 12 or 15 foot circle around the hole you won double your money...

they made a killing on all of them since there was no overhead and they were all advantageous to have, except maybe for the betting hole, but what drunk golfer doesn't think he can hit a 15 foot circle from 150 yards lol.....

they also had the usual mulligans and raffle prizes that had been donated....

stuff like that might make the round last a little longer but everybody enjoys the extras and it makes a ton of money...

rojosgirl
09-22-2010, 10:00 AM
The Cuero Gobbler Booster Club is one of the best around. Big membership and lots of hard workers. :D

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
We also sell banner sponsorships to hang at the stadium and one with all the sponsors on it for the gym.
We also have business sponsors. The gold level gets their business name on large signs at both the stadium and gym.

maroogreen
09-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
The Cuero Gobbler Booster Club is one of the best around. Big membership and lots of hard workers. :D

This is true. I sort of consider it a cult, but a good one! :D

skins4life
09-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I know Roclet is the biggest Athletic Supporter Bwood has. Does that count?:D

Did no one else get that one? :D :D :D

GrTigers6
09-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by skins4life
Did no one else get that one? :D :D :D yeah I got it but ran out of time yesterday to post something before I had to go to work.