PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs UCLA this Sat at 2:30 P.M. on ABC

Phil C
09-21-2010, 04:02 PM
This is another big test for the Horns. UCLA is very good. You have to remember they beat us in 1997 by the score of 66 to 3 and the next year 49 to 31.

You have to also remember they almost ended a big win streak we had only to lose by a 45 td pass in the last 12 seconds in 1970 with the final being UT 20 UCLA 17. UCLA is still very mad about that loss. That increases the risk.

TheDOCTORdre
09-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
This is another big test for the Horns. UCLA is very good. You have to remember they beat us in 1997 by the score of 66 to 3 and the next year 49 to 31.

You have to also remember they almost ended a big win streak we had only to lose by a 45 td pass in the last 12 seconds in 1970 with the final being UT 20 UCLA 17. UCLA is still very mad about that loss. That increases the risk.

but with Saturday being my birthday, the Horns will win this one for me:D

slpybear the bullfan
09-22-2010, 08:59 AM
ITS A TRAP!!!!!

NastySlot
09-22-2010, 09:22 AM
its a walk in the park............horns by a bunch.

only two game season...ou and nebraska...and there's an open week before the nebraska game.

jason
09-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot

only two game season...ou and nebraska...and there's an open week before the nebraska game.
it's starting to look that way - especially with a&m playing in austin...

the kicker is that if texas gets by ou and nebraska then it will probably be nebraska waiting in the big 12 championship game...

not saying they (texas) can't do it - but in my opinion it is hard to beat a good team twice in one season....

the first texas/nebraska game is probably going to be the prime time game and my wedding is that night....:doh:

RoyceTTU
09-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Purely subjective observation, UT will struggle all year long and will lose to OU and Nebraska. They will win against UCLA. Gilbert isn't leading right now and that was a big void Colt left. This team needs someone that is the obviouse leader.

Next year UT will be unbelievably good and will probably stay that way for a few years atleast.

NastySlot
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by jason
it's starting to look that way - especially with a&m playing in austin...

the kicker is that if texas gets by ou and nebraska then it will probably be nebraska waiting in the big 12 championship game...

not saying they (texas) can't do it - but in my opinion it is hard to beat a good team twice in one season....

the first texas/nebraska game is probably going to be the prime time game and my wedding is that night....:doh:

I got married on the day Kevin Murray led the Aggies to a come back win over Baylor........sort of tells you how along go that was ....Aggies and Baylor good in the same season....I remember watching it while getting ready....Baylor up...by the end of the day and Wedding Aggies won.

Texas is young but loaded....the big xii is no challenge for them year in year out (other than ou which I think is the only team in any year can beat the horns).

NastySlot
09-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Purely subjective observation, UT will struggle all year long and will lose to OU and Nebraska. They will win against UCLA. Gilbert isn't leading right now and that was a big void Colt left. This team needs someone that is the obviouse leader.

Next year UT will be unbelievably good and will probably stay that way for a few years atleast.

I hear ya....but no matter how young texas is that talent is unreal.
That talent and speed will win a lot of games this year.....not a horn fan and hate to say it there might be a dynasty in the making here.

jason
09-22-2010, 09:38 AM
I hear ya....but no matter how young texas is that talent is unreal.
That talent and speed will win a lot of games this year.....not a horn fan and hate to say it there might be a dynasty in the making here. yeah - starting 12 freshmen with a 2nd sophomore qb who has some pretty good experience under his belt - he'll only get better...

jason
09-22-2010, 09:43 AM
could be some surprises when the first BCS poll comes out - texas #1 in 2 of the computer polls....

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1962/20100922094212.jpg

LionKing
09-22-2010, 09:53 AM

Next year UT will be unbelievably good and will probably stay that way for a few years atleast. You mean struggling offensively, yea I agree there, but they're only gonna get better on that side of the ball, everyone knew they were gonna struggle on offense to start the season, a couple of Tech friends of mine honestly said this game was just a fraction away from being a blow out and when their offense does settle down and get rythem, they may be beatable, but the chances will be even slimmer than they already are at being beatable.

RoyceTTU
09-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by LionKing
You mean struggling offensively, yea I agree there, but they're only gonna get better on that side of the ball, everyone knew they were gonna struggle on offense to start the season, a couple of Tech friends of mine honestly said this game was just a fraction away from being a blow out and when their offense does settle down and get rythem, they may be beatable, but the chances will be even slimmer than they already are at being beatable.

I agree with all that they are going to get better throughout the year. I just think OU and Nebraska are already great teams and they have a leg up on UT. I think they will lose those two games. Other than that I think they will win out but not do it as convinsingly as they have in the past.

Interesting tid-bit, Richard Billingsly (one of the BCS computers) is my fathers first cousin. I've never talked to anybody with passion about college football like he has.

LionKing
09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I agree with all that they are going to get better throughout the year. I just think OU and Nebraska are already great teams and they have a leg up on UT. I think they will lose those two games. Other than that I think they will win out but not do it as convinsingly as they have in the past.

Interesting tid-bit, Richard Billingsly (one of the BCS computers) is my fathers first cousin. I've never talked to anybody with passion about college football like he has. I don't disagree that they could lose to both teams, the jury is still out on OU and Neb as being great teams right now, OU has struggled also at home against teams, Neb has looked the best against inferior teams, and they start a freshman running QB, waiting to see what happens when he faces an elite defense and has to throw the ball.

Phil C
09-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
ITS A TRAP!!!!!

:eek: :(

Phil C
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Some encouragement. The 1997 loss to UCLA is not the worse loss that UT suffered in history but rather the second worse. The worse was when our 1904 team went to the University of Chicago and got beat 0-68.

sahen
09-22-2010, 12:36 PM
better protect Gilbert...UH has their top 2 QBs sitting the rest of the year after their game with the Bruins last week...

carter08
09-23-2010, 02:49 AM
UCLA will win. It will be a low scoring game.

Rock66
09-23-2010, 02:14 PM
When the offense finally settles down it will be another productive and exciting Texas program. It doesn't help the team that the entire core of the offense has changed. Totally took out the zone/zone read, and have implemented a little smash mouth ISO. The sprint out game has been greatly reduced. Instead of the 3-5 step drop and throw system that Colt had down to a T, they're dropping Gilbert 9 steps back and spreading the field out a little bit. Everybody has gotten used to the big shock-and-awe offense's that UT has had over the last 8 or so years, but to me, this offense resembles the look from the Applewhite era. Less tricks, more consistency.

The defense is playing lights out for the most part. Another great squad put together and led by Muschamp. Hope to see them do well this year.

Old Tiger
09-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by sahen
better protect Gilbert...UH has their top 2 QBs sitting the rest of the year after their game with the Bruins last week... Keenum's was a freak injury...