PDA

View Full Version : Best passer in NFL history

orange machine
09-20-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm gonna have to say Payton Manning he just doesn't screw up very often and always seems to be in complete control.

alaskacat
09-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Without a doubt, Neil Lomax as a pure passer. He just got stuck with a terrible Cardinal team. I went to college with him at Portland state and watched Friday nights and 500 yard nights. But then the offense was called a run and shoot, which was a predecessor to the spread. Head coach was then off to Hawaii and you know the rest from there.

Old Tiger
09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Who is Payton?

LeonJr
09-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Ryan Leaf

gatordaze
09-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by LeonJr
Ryan Leaf

Jeff George

LeonJr
09-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Jeff George

Dang...Its a toss up:D

M-town lobo fan
09-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Jamarcus Russell not even close!

tog
09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
sammy baugh--just smooth

BaseballUmp
09-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Uncle Rico

BEAST
09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Uncle Rico

Without question. Only if the damn coach wouldve put him in.

BEAST

BaseballUmp
09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Without question. Only if the damn coach wouldve put him in.

BEAST
No doubt!

DUKE22
09-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Warren Moon

baseballcoach13
09-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
Warren Moon

+1. just think how good he would have been if his arm wasn't always tired from domestic disputes.

coach
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
I'm gonna have to say Payton Manning he just doesn't screw up very often and always seems to be in complete control.

this is a duh answer but at the same time so many ppl disagree. he is steadily becoming the greatest before our eyes.

Ruserious
09-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Joe Montana

Tiger Turtle
09-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Peyton may not be the greatest pure passer of all time, but when you factor in all that he does with that offense that is totally tailored to him, he may be the greatest offensive player. Going completely no huddle, he calls the plays, blocking schemes, checkoffs/audibles (but then, I guess everything's an audible in that system). I assume that he gets input from the coaches through the helmet mike, but like one of the talking heads said Sunday night - "There's your real offensive coordinator on this team, right there under center." All that being said, I'd put him in the top three as a passer.

Farmersfan
09-20-2010, 02:41 PM
I would vote for Peyton Manning. He makes that offense competitive. He keeps the defenses honest and if they get too frisky he kills them with pinpoint quick passes and eats them up. Tom Brady is also very skilled at squeezing quick really tight passes into his receivers. It takes tons of pressure off a offense to have a QB that can force his will on the defense. He isn't infallible but if he doesn't play well the Colts don't win! Period!

big daddy russ
09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
It comes down to four guys in my mind.

1. Sonny Jurgensen- Was probably the best pure passer of his era, but didn't have the teams to take advantage of his skills. Was once in the process of being sacked and threw the football behind his back to a receiver 20 yards downfield. Hit him in stride.

2. John Elway- Best combination of big arm, accuracy, and athleticism. IMO, the only QB in history with the ability to excel in any offensive system, whether it was the triple option, the wishbone, or the spread.

3. Dan Marino- As far as a pure passer, was on par with Elway. Now that I think of it, he may be even better than Elway, just wasn't the athlete. Had as big of an arm (they could both muscle the ball 80+ yards down the field), was as accurate as they come, and had the quickest release I've ever seen. Was also the last QB to call his own plays.

4. Peyton Manning- Doesn't have the arm that the previous three had, but is probably the sharpest of any QB I've seen and is as accurate as Kurt Warner or Marino. Besides, how often are you throwing the ball 80 yards downfield? 75 yards is plenty of arm strength.

If I had to rank them, it'd go something like this:

1. Peyton
2. Marino
3. Jurgensen
4. Elway

And don't laugh too much at Jeff George. That guy had a cannon and was fantastic with the Vikings.

Keith7
09-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Jeff George threw for 3,500 yards in a season more times than Troy Aikman and has comparable career numbers to the Arlington Cowgirl Hall of Famer despite being a back up many years.. I don't know what the big joke is with Jeff George?

trojandad
09-20-2010, 04:28 PM
if i was throwing across the middle, bart starr would throw it to a receiver's particular shoulder.......on seam patterns (straight up the hash marks, terry bradshaw made a living on beating superbowl teams with that silly pattern......if i was throwing deep it would be a tossup between sammy baugh and joe namath.....

payton throws great seam patterns but until he can lead a team without throwing 60 times a game, it's gonna be hard to compare him apples to apples.....payton takes up all the 45 second clock changing plays then screams at his teammates for HIS delay....gotta lead in more ways than throwing the ball.......anyway......

Phil C
09-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I agree with Big Daddy Russ. I think Sonny Jergenson was the best passer of all time. I am not including running or play calling but he had a golden arm. Unfortunately he didn't have the telent most of his good years and when George Allen came to Washington he was well past his prime. He took over as QB at Philadelphia in 1961 after their NFL championship by beating Vince Lombardi and the Packers and had a great year but New York edged Philadelphia by one game for the Eastern Championship. After that Philadephis went down hill as the talent retired or got traded. He went to Washington but never really had great talent even though he was terrific. Vince Lombardi took over Washington in 1969 and it looked like things were going to be great but unfortunately Coach Lombardi passed away the following summer. Had Sonny had the talent he would have won several championships and super bowls. In fact Vince Lombardi said Sonny was the best passer he ever saw and that is high praise from a great coach.
I used to really love watching Sonny pass that ball especially when he wasn't playing the Cowboys.